MattScott

CANCELLED: October 2nd name release

19 hours ago, MattScott said:

I just need to think on how to do it in a way that wont get abused.

19 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Good luck

^

i'd say just up the last login time - but also exclude newly created chars.

• Like 1

Guest Zilsux

Possible solution:

Do not allow players to buy character slots during the first 48h after the release of such names. This will force players to buy the slots in advance. So hopefully you could find who is probably about to grief when you notice a TON of character slots bought on a single account. Now you could also monitor who decides to delete a bunch of their characters to have more space as well. Or better yet, block the deletion of characters for those 48h too and see who deletes a bunch before update.

This hopefully stops the act before it happens.

neato! good job! totally not what was expected when it was first announced.

Yep, squatting on names.

That's what I expected during annoucement.

I just created second character on Jericho with my name just to prevent that but good you postponed what I reckon would be tragic decision.

there’s like 800 pop, every player could sit on like 10 names and it wouldn’t even be a drop in the dictionary bucket 

2 hours ago, Solamente said:

there’s like 800 pop, every player could sit on like 10 names and it wouldn’t even be a drop in the dictionary bucket 

All the edgy verbs have been taken so that could be a problem. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

We're going to pause this effort for a number of different reasons:

1) Most importantly, our email newsletter system is being rebuilt, and we have not been able to properly message individual accounts that are in danger of losing their names. It's critical we give everyone enough lead time to respond and login.

2) Also I was made aware of a large number of players who are planning on griefing/squatting on released names tomorrow. I feel like this is simply going to create the same problem, and since players can create endless emails to register endless new accounts - we can't restrict how many names they can claim.

3) I had made the core assumption that we needed to release these names in order to facilitate a smoother consolidation of Jericho and Citadel, but that strategy has also been changed. The end result will be the same, but we have come up with a new way of identifying players that will eliminate conflicts.

In summary, the name release WILL HAPPEN. For those that bought name changes, we're not that far out.

I just need to think on how to do it in a way that wont get abused.

Thanks,
Matt

tumblr_p31cy74Z4m1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moxxichixx said:

Just stop giving us false hope already....

They are trying to be the better version of false hope givers than G1. 

4422679_orig.gif

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, Flaws said:

I don't see how you're going to prevent abuse unless you apply some really weird and strict rules. Everyone is free to create new accounts and new characters as it is a Free2Play game and nothing should prevent that. However way you restrict it, a lot of innocent old/new players will get hit one way or another by it.

• You can't restrict certain accounts from using those newly freed names based on some criteria since everyone should have access to the new name pool. 
  • You can't restrict the amount of characters/accounts a player can have/make for a bunch of reasons.
  • You can't limit those names to renames only either because that kills 70% of the reason you are doing this, which is, new players having good nickname choices available.
  • You most certainly can't go around banning people because they make new characters/accounts and don't play them, that's absolutely off the table.
  • You could put a cap on how many characters an account can make per day/week/month that use names from the freed up names pool but that's really questionable in itself and people with many accounts won't be stopped anyway as a F2P account has 2 character slots by default.

Restrictions or not, one thing is absolutely certain - name wiping is an absolute must, a lot of people might hoard a lot of good names but it will be nothing in comparison to how bad that situation is currently after years of people taking nicknames and leaving the game for good. It will absolutely be an improvement with or without hoarders. Besides, no amount of hoarders can really take up THAT many nicknames as it takes time to create an email and then an account and is bothersome and you'd really need to dedicate a lot of time to come up with names to save and not that many are as dedicated. Most people just want up to 4-5 names at best and that's even a stretch. 

To prevent hording they could still make it limited, like 1 week only for name changes and only 2 names per account and account solder than the announcement was.  then the rest gets free for all.

Hoarders would make accounts in advance and then just spam create character random and give names they would also prepare a list. I wonder if people are goign to sell names even, surely against ToS, but well it's people.

Edited by LilyV3

56 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

I wonder if people are goign to sell names even, surely against ToS, but well it's people.

Oh yeah, I am sure that there will be a market for that. There are certain nicknames that some APB kids would kill for. Figuratively (or not).

8 hours ago, Flaws said:

There are certain nicknames that some APB kids would kill for. Figuratively (or not).

maybe you being the best example!

On 10/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, MattScott said:

2) Also I was made aware of a large number of players who are planning on griefing/squatting on released names tomorrow. I feel like this is simply going to create the same problem, and since players can create endless emails to register endless new accounts - we can't restrict how many names they can claim.

I don't get, why would people even do this? Do they hope to sell these names afterwards? Or they just want to harm this game in any ways possible, by taking most common names? I don't know.. To me, one way or another this is just ridiculously stupid..     

6 hours ago, ninjarrrr said:

maybe you being the best example!

Care to elaborate? I have the nicknames I want without the need of a name wipe. But I know how it feels to go on a game you are new to where all names are taken like ESO or SWTOR for example, or even WoW Retail. Finding a nickname can take twice as long as making the actual character so I am looking out for new players.

Edited by Flaws
  • Like 1

7 days later and still no update on the situation. ?_? nice one !

• Like 1

Maybe give the name an unique code 🤔  

Like:

Jondoe #12A3B4 

Jondoe #13A4B2 ...

Would probably make stuff simpler imo

16 hours ago, iRawwwN said:

7 days later and still no update on the situation. ?_? nice one !

thinking of convoluted solutions that will ultimately cause bigger problems than the original issues is hard dude

• Like 1

Could add -NA or -EU to the end of the conflicting character names, and then offer a free name change in case those players don't want it added to their name.

I still don't see the purpose of forcing the Russians to name change. Wouldn't it be easier to fix the UI so non Russians can properly report players? How about instead of reporting the character name, players report the account ID, like how in other games you report their Steam ID.

Edited by SquirrelFace

2 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

Could add -NA or -EU to the end of the conflicting character names, and then offer a free name change in case those players don't want it added to their name.

Anyone who has to change will be given a free name change, go ahead and add NA or EU if you want and its not already taken.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, Deadliest said:

just bann that dude who made 50+  accounts seriously 

i think film just made more than that 😂

check here https://ffbans.org/search/Film