MattScott

CANCELLED: October 2nd name release

Hi everyone,

We're going to pause this effort for a number of different reasons:

1) Most importantly, our email newsletter system is being rebuilt, and we have not been able to properly message individual accounts that are in danger of losing their names. It's critical we give everyone enough lead time to respond and login.

2) Also I was made aware of a large number of players who are planning on griefing/squatting on released names tomorrow. I feel like this is simply going to create the same problem, and since players can create endless emails to register endless new accounts - we can't restrict how many names they can claim.

3) I had made the core assumption that we needed to release these names in order to facilitate a smoother consolidation of Jericho and Citadel, but that strategy has also been changed. The end result will be the same, but we have come up with a new way of identifying players that will eliminate conflicts.

In summary, the name release WILL HAPPEN. For those that bought name changes, we're not that far out.

I just need to think on how to do it in a way that wont get abused.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Why do you guys keep postponing stuff? Just don't give dates, so far i'm happy with the communication itself but the amount misinformation is beyond acceptable (dates, patch notes, news)

Like "sorry, i forgot to mention", "we apologize for the misunderstanding". It is ridiculous.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Algoz said:

Why do you guys keep postponing stuff? Just don't give dates, so far i'm happy with the communication itself but the amount misinformation is beyond acceptable (dates, patch notes, news)

Like "sorry, i forgot to mention", "we apologize for the misunderstanding". It is ridiculous.

It's not like they planned it to be postponed. Things get in the way in life in general, more so in game development. I like when they give out dates, even if something goes wrong because it gives us an estimate or a timeline of what to expect.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Algoz said:

"misinformation"

i don't know if you're using that word right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No offence Matt but ppl griefing/squatting is a very common thing in APB as the community abuses anything and everything they can. For years they have been able to get away with stuff and because of that they became toxic to the point it drove away players and now if they dont get what they want and have to follow rules they throw a fit. Regardless of when you do this name release griefing will happen and ppl will abuse the system, unless you police the community and make ppl change their ways this will always happen.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

2) Also I was made aware of a large number of players who are planning on griefing/squatting on released names tomorrow. I feel like this is simply going to create the same problem, and since players can create endless emails to register endless new accounts - we can't restrict how many names they can claim.

3) I had made the core assumption that we needed to release these names in order to facilitate a smoother consolidation of Jericho and Citadel, but that strategy has also been changed. The end result will be the same, but we have come up with a new way of identifying players that will eliminate conflicts.

I am not surprised by #2, name hoarding has always been a thing in any video game since there is RMT market for them. It is good that you are trying to prevent abuse, but I believe that the system is going to be abused unless you put some strict limitations on creating new characters/accounts and I do not see that happening.

If my understanding is correct, you are going to implement the identifier system that would allow 2 players to have the same name after the merge. So essentially there would be 2 players with a name like "Bum" after the merge, correct? If so, how would name changes work? Lets say that I owned a name on EU prior to the merge and wanted my NA character to have my EU name, is that possible or are name changes strictly based on the server that the character and names originated from?

Also, account wide clothing upgrades when?

Edited by ForumUser

most of the issues you've outlined here were pointed out over a month ago when the name wipe/server merge were first announced, what possible reason was there to wait until almost the last second to announce this?

players who bought a name change will essentially be locked from playing on those characters until "you think of a solution" - thankfully i'm not one of them, but will there be any support for players who purchased name changes, because this post makes it sound like there won't be

• Like 5

This is the most insignificant issue I've seen so far... and people still find reason to fuzzy bunny.

This would never get old...

BEZE2Id.jpg

• Thanks 2

Possible fixes:

1) Blacklist brand new accounts from the unused names for 2 weeks. 

2) Add an in-game timer leading up to the name release. If you can't control the squatters/griefers, make it a free for all. 

Edited by OPK

2 minutes ago, Pufty said:

This is the most insignificant issue I've seen so far... and people still find reason to fuzzy bunny.

yes continued failure to acknowledge (correct) feedback, a lack of effective time management, and either intentional or unintentional ignorance of the side effects from changes are all very minor issues haha

good joke

• Like 3

Yeah one of the most pathetic type of people are the ones that snipe and try to sell popular names. Someone bought Jeff on our WoW classic server for 500$. 

just bann that dude who made 50+  accounts seriously 

Edited by Deadliest
  • Like 1

Does this also mean we will have to deal with the omnipresence of cyrillic for a few more months ?

I always enjoy loggin to secure my names, especially with the current state of things. I even played a match of FC which made me totally not altf4 halfway thru because of the very stable framerate and obvious very pro players, fun times. :^) 

Pls tell me, i dont have to do that again for when the name release actually happens. 

What if you allow to take names on accs with mobile Authenticator 

• Like 2

Hey Matt, It would be nice if you tell us what you do NOT want to happen and how you want to prevent this.  Then we can brainstorm and see if we find gaps in that strategy.

No offence Matt these are things you should’ve thought off way before you gave us a date. Frankly sounds like an excuse for you and the dev team not being able to implement this wipe effectively.  After all the other issues you have had with giving us dates and delaying them, This is really unprofessional for a company specially when you keep doing it consistently. If I was LO I would think very carefully about dates and make sure something is completed and tested before giving out any dates to us since it’s clear you guys have issues with keeping up with dates so don’t give one unless you are sure you can keep them.

All the stuff brought up about name conflicts with was brought up before the announcement and after the name change thread yet you decide to cancel this in the last moment which make it sound like you are using that as an excuse for whatever technical difficulties you came across.

I just hope we get better communication in the future and hopefully a non pre scripted QA with boring personalities and rather a way for the actual community to ask you questions in regards to what we want directly. What happened to our community manager ? I see more of the CEO than the community manager on the forum.

Edited by Nev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Next thing we're gonna get is CANCELED: APB:R Engine Update

No but for realsies, this sucks butt. I was really hoping on seeing a lot of older clans from Joker/Colby spring up but I suppose we gotta keep on waiting for nice things.

People do say that they will stock a lot of names for themselves but i really dont think they will actually do it cuz as far as i know about the apb community,they are lazy af. 

Si dont think you should worry about that. 

8 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

We're going to pause this effort for a number of different reasons:

1) Most importantly, our email newsletter system is being rebuilt, and we have not been able to properly message individual accounts that are in danger of losing their names. It's critical we give everyone enough lead time to respond and login.

In summary, the name release WILL HAPPEN. For those that bought name changes, we're not that far out.

I just need to think on how to do it in a way that wont get abused.

Thanks,
Matt

@MattScott

The title is not exactly what it should be "Postponed" instead of "Canceled", because in that way seems you guys have scrapped away that change.

1. Understood;

2. You can't restrict how many names we could claim but you can (tecnically) restrict or ban who abuse and create tons of accounts just to save those names;

3. So.. with that, means you guys have postoponed (or are going to)?

Name release will happen, but name change with all those russian cyrillic (idk how to write it, dont' blame me) characters on them?

You should remember the problem with the report system, being able to do any type of it.

PS #1 Also there aren't any images about what the type of clothing we will get into the armas "each week" which i didn't even understand totally what means exactly.

PS #2 Where is the september blog?

PS #3 Lastly, why PC Services appear always "Partially Online" since months?

uenHK3s.png

Edited by Guest