MattScott

New Mission Joker Ticket Reward system

18 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Since we took over, I've been pretty vocal about the F2P implementation of APB. Aside from reducing ARMAS prices and balancing the value of G1C, I have always felt that we also needed to finish what Reloaded started.

The changes to the Joker Store were a step in the right direction, but effective Wednesday, September 18th, we will start giving out Joker Tickets as rewards for opposed missions.

For the longest time, players have only been able to earn JTs from events, Daily Activities and Fight Club. Now regular Free-to-play players will have a repeatable method for earning permanent items within the primary method of gameplay.

As you can imagine, we're approaching this fairly conservatively, so please know that all of these values are subject to change as we collect more data.

Here is how this system will work:

1) Regular Mission Districts

Opposed missions in Financial and Waterfront will offer a random chance to win from 0-10 Joker Tickets. You need to participate and complete the mission to be eligible, but you do not have to win. There is a Daily Cap to how many Regular Mission JTs you can earn, which is based on your highest threat level reached that day.

The Regular Mission District Daily Caps are:

Training - 0
Green - 100
Bronze - 100
Silver - 150
Gold - 200

This means that you can cap out at Silver, but if you reach Gold then you can earn 50 more that day.

2) Weapon Prototype Districts

In addition to the Regular Missions, players can also receive 1-10 Joker Tickets from doing opposed missions in our Weapon Prototype Districts. This doesn't sound like a big difference from Regular Mission Districts, but during our internal development, we were able to rack up tickets a lot faster.

Weapon Prototype Districts have their own Daily Cap and track the JTs earned separately from the JTs earned in Regular Mission Districts. The Daily Cap for these districts is a flat 200 for everyone.

Just to make things interesting, we have two extra rewards that can sometimes pop up if you haven't reached your Daily Cap in the Weapon Prototype Districts:

• Weapon Prototype Boxes. Players can open these to reveal a temporary random Legendary for them to try with limited ammo.
  • A very rare 250 one-time JT reward. This wont count against your Daily Cap.

Once you have reached your Daily Cap, you can still earn Weapon Prototype Boxes.

3) Future Premium Bonus

We're going to watch the numbers, but sometime in the future we would like to add a bonus for players with Premium. This will be a guaranteed amount of JTs per mission that is added to the random reward.

There are still more changes coming. We have a new design to address the gambling issues with Joker Mystery Boxes, and a potential new way for Legendaries to be collected. But rest assured that we will continue adding more permanent character items to the Joker Store and more cosmetic account level items in ARMAS.

In fact, you'll see some new ARMAS items in this week's patch as well.

Thanks,
Matt

I can't believe all of this is happening only thanks to you guys, Matt, Lixil, Little orbit itself.. i can't be more happy than that.

Keep up with the great work and good luck for the future!

PS Thanks for new items on the ARMAS! Can't wait to have them on my character and obv can't wait to see MUCH more. ^^

Why? Why the threat difference?

Also, please make it not random.

This has been my post on the APB forums for the quarter.

8 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Why? Why the threat difference?

Incentive to actually try and gain higher threat, which this game desperately needs. Currently, it's an active detriment to be gold threat, and that's just terrible design.

8 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Also, please make it not random.

Agree, to a degree. They should still have wins be more productive than losses, to incentivize actually trying to win missions. There's two ways they can do this:

• Wins reward 10 JT, while losses only reward 5 JT.
  • Wins always reward 10 JT, while losses only have a 50% chance to reward 10 JT.

Obviously replace the amounts of JT with the appropriate amounts based on how they adjust the system's payouts and caps.

Edited by Hexerin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ninjarrrr said:

can you fix the mission system first? thank you

What's wrong with it?

Now don't say matchmaking as "fixing" that is literally impossible with the small player pool.

Just now, GhosT said:

What's wrong with it? Now don't say matchmaking as "fixing" that is literally impossible with the small player pool.

Many missions are just outright broken. Best example of this is the storefront vandalize criminal missions. If the enforcers break the storefront, the criminals then can't complete the objective which results in a forced loss for them. VIP missions still exist, or at least haven't been changed to have a VIP and lives on both sides. Certain universally hated missions (The Fast and The Incarcerated, Creme de la Crime, etc) still exist. Heavy item hold end stages still exist. Overtime doesn't work for the majority of mission types.

I could go on.

4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Many missions are just outright broken. Best example of this is the storefront vandalize criminal missions. If the enforcers break the storefront, the criminals then can't complete the objective which results in a forced loss for them. VIP missions still exist, or at least haven't been changed to have a VIP and lives on both sides. Certain universally hated missions (The Fast and The Incarcerated, Creme de la Crime, etc) still exist. Heavy item hold end stages still exist. Overtime doesn't work for the majority of mission types.

I could go on.

Storefront thing is a relatively new bug. Heard you can still complete these as a criminal by ramming a car into them. Not sure if that actually works.

VIP missions are mostly fine, never really had issues with them other than being spawnrushed, which is a spawn system mistake, not the mission.

The missions you listed are unique and healthy for the game, they spice things up and add variety to the game. Incarcerated has the benkz mhuller hold final stage, and creme de la crime makes me wipe the dust off of my ALIG/CASE for once in a lifetime. Heavy item holds are fine. You shouldn't move the item hold item much to begin with anyway to keep things fair.

I'm not really a fan of this mindset that most people seem to have, making this game "competitive" with missions that all play the same, or even wanting non-opposed people to be ghosts you can drive through. The enforcer vs criminal aspect is almost completely gone, we don't really need APB to lose all of its uniqueness like some missions, the N5/P5 system, removing ram-raiding, free-roaming without doing missions or even dumptrucking. That's what made it stand out from all the other games back when it was new.

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

Storefront thing is a relatively new bug. Heard you can still complete these as a criminal by ramming a car into them. Not sure if that actually works.

Good to know, I'll spread the word when these missions come up and see how it pans out. That being said, that's not always a feasible option, as those storefront objectives can sometimes be in locations that cars can't reach (or would take so much effort and time, the enforcers could take their leisurely time stopping them).

4 hours ago, LewdLemming said:

Well, we've all been clamoring for new ways to earn JTs and here we go!  Thanks a bunch!

Seems like a well thought out solution, especially the higher caps the higher threat level you are. 

The only thing I might modify would be to make the caps per threat designation server.  So the 150 cap for silver would only be if you are playing in the silver threat server.  The 200 cap for gold ... only in the gold threat server.  IMO, this should help populate the gold servers which are currently empty all the time.

Plus, I like that random 250 JT bonus as an extra perk.

This is a great idea to fix the threat issues.

2 hours ago, Snubnose said:

no.

stop it with the reskins. make something new...

if we get another muscle car and it's gonna be a vegas reskin I'm gonna flip my shit... I want new content, not recycled content.

it's not easy to add new content, that's why they didn't do it so far, don't you think??

reskins are easy to add, means easy money for them, and with all that money they will start adding new content.

if you add a new car and it's better than rest of cars, people will start with the "p2w car", that's why im suggesting reskins cars, guns, etc.

LO should add new cosmetic items.

Edited by Uhtdred

putting the framework into place before the big POP SPIKE 🙂

@MattScott @Lixil

I notice that there's no post about downtime tonight, is this being activated without a maint? Or just haven't gotten around to making an announcement yet?

3 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I notice that there's no post about downtime tonight, is this being activated without a maint? Or just haven't gotten around to making an announcement yet?

A little patience, that announcement should be coming in a little bit.

There we go:

~@mayii

Edited by Amayii
Adding post link
  • Thanks 1

this is a fantastic addition overall

i'll reserve judgement on the different caps for threat levels, but i do feel that at some capacity there should be similar rewards for actually finishing fc games. as it stands, somewhat often if one side is getting handedly beat in fc there's a reasonable chance that much of the pop will suddenly die and turn into a 10v5 or something similar.  that said, i don't know if jt is the way to fix that (as you already earn JT in fc) or if some postgame reward is really a way to fix it at all (because of fc's "drop in/drop out" style).

i like this system, but perhaps it should be modified to also require playing in the correct threat district?

the cap could be split in half, so for example a gold player could earn 100jt from missions in the silver district but 100jt extra from missions in a gold district - i think this would at least limit dethreaters from fully abusing the system

there should probably be testing of the initial system first but i'd also like to see limited rewards for losing, something like 0-5jt for losing and 0-10jt (or even 5-10jt) for winning, the point here being to encourage players to play as well as possible and also rewarding players for doing so

2 minutes ago, Uru! said:

as it stands, somewhat often if one side is getting handedly beat in fc there's a reasonable chance that much of the pop will suddenly die and turn into a 10v5 or something similar.  

i think the "easiest" way to fix that would be to remove factions in fc and just have each match distribute an equal number of players to each team

teams could be randomized each match for additional stomp protection

2 hours ago, Solamente said:

i think the "easiest" way to fix that would be to remove factions in fc and just have each match distribute an equal number of players to each team

teams could be randomized each match for additional stomp protection

i feel like that would help get people to actually join the district when there's a pop disadvantage, but i still think people would still generally leave a stomp even if the teams were scrambled, partially because of how long some matches in fc last but that's another discussion entirely

Just now, Uru! said:

i feel like that would help get people to actually join the district when there's a pop disadvantage, but i still think people would still generally leave a stomp even if the teams were scrambled, partially because of how long some matches in fc last but that's another discussion entirely

well yeah people might leave but with the proposed changes theoretically it wouldnt matter if people left because teams would always be even(ish) regardless of faction imbalance

Well, why ? why this toothpick? for hara-kiri? delete it please. I pray  😭😭😭😭😭😭

hUeWErWoLq8.jpg

P.S.  Sry. I'm not very good at Photoshop (not good at all. I use it once every 5 years), but I'm sure it's better.

2Rf0Fws71PU.jpg

Edited by Clowbber
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

players which dont play on theyr own threat dist. must have JT reduction like 50% or better - down to 0

• Like 2

The consistently odd wording regarding the JT reward has me more concerned about the system's design the more I think about it. The odd wording you keep using is implying that there's a dice roll to even get a JT reward in the first place, and then that reward could then roll a zero so you still get nothing even though you successfully rolled for a reward.

In other words, which way is the system working?

1. Upon mission completion, there is a 100% chance to receive a JT reward. This reward can be anything from 0 to 10 JT.
  2. Upon mission completion, there is a 50% chance to receive a JT reward. This reward can be anything from 0 to 10 JT.
  3. Upon mission completion, there is a 50% chance to receive a JT reward. This reward can be anything from 1 to 10 JT.

Can we please get direct confirmation about this? I originally thought it was just odd wording, but that it worked logically (option #1 above). I was telling other concerned players that this was the case. However, the continued usage of the odd wording has me thinking that I should've been concerned along with them.

While on the topic of concerns, the random nature of the reward in general is just nagging at me. I share other's view that it should be more consistent. Assuming absolute best case scenario (100% of missions give the full 10 JT reward), you have to complete 20 missions in a day as a gold threat player. That equates on average to about 6 hours of play on any given day to cap... and that's best case.

If you average at 5 JT per mission, you would need to play for 12 hours to reach the cap as a gold threat player. If the system works like option #2 (absolutely terrible design), you aren't going to be averaging 5 JT per mission. You'll be lucky to average 3-4 JT per mission on a good day.

so are bronze and silver less important and valuable for apb than gold? and dethreaters are even rewarded for their playstyle?

Edited by SunnyMonroe
Add

Very nice, thanks for the update! N-TEC changes sound reasonable, hyped to try them out.

Also I can't wait to see the "potential new way for Legendaries to be collected" :O ...

• Like 1

OMG yes thank you soooo much! Bless you all for all your work keep it coming! Feels like fresh water.