Hexerin

What is APB_Catcher? Also, why does it ignore system level blocking?

This executable behaves like malware.

The game doesn't need it to run, as shown by the game running just fine if you manually force terminate the myriad of instances of the executable that run and continue to stack up over time. It also completely ignores system level blocking, which is a massive red flag. Any instances of it that have generated while the game was running, continue running after you close the game. They also continue to spin up even more instances over time, despite the game not running.

Care to comment, @MattScott ?

• Like 2

chinese bitcoin farming

welcome to the botnet

The APB_Catcher is the process that handles exceptions thrown by the main game executable. Contrary to what OP states this process is absolutely necessary. Without it the game can potentially crash in a way that is not graceful and can cause issues beyond that.

The APB_Catcher is a child process, i.e it's parent (the main game executable) is responsible for handling it's execution and termination based on it's own run time. The issue you're seeing is to the fact that the APB_Catcher process is not being terminated correctly by the main game executable, resulting in a zombie process. A zombie process needs to be terminated manually or by a program that is designed to determine any dead processes.

Also instead of pinging Matt Scott directly, maybe leave a bug in the proper place. For like the 100th time.

- SKay

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, SKay said:

Also instead of pinging Matt Scott directly, maybe leave a bug in the proper place. For like the 100th time.

its hexerin he doesn't believe in proper reports, things are just supposed to magically fix themselves

50 minutes ago, SKay said:

Contrary to what OP states this process is absolutely necessary. Without it the game can potentially crash in a way that is not graceful and can cause issues beyond that.

I always kill that process manually and never have issues nore crashes. In my case, it's completely unnecessary and is not required to run the game at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy said:

I always kill that process manually and never have issues nore crashes. In my case, it's completely unnecessary and is not required to run the game at all.

What Skay was saying is that the game doesn't necessarily require the APB_Catcher to run but rather to prevent issues beyond a game crash if the game was to crash that could affect your PC as a whole until you restart it.

• Like 1

I haven't had to manually end process on APB_Catcher since the last Windows update, whereas I did have it stacking before.

No idea why, it's just been closing cleanly when I exit the game after the Update.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKay said:

The APB_Catcher is the process that handles exceptions thrown by the main game executable. Contrary to what OP states this process is absolutely necessary. Without it the game can potentially crash in a way that is not graceful and can cause issues beyond that.

The APB_Catcher is a child process, i.e it's parent (the main game executable) is responsible for handling it's execution and termination based on it's own run time. The issue you're seeing is to the fact that the APB_Catcher process is not being terminated correctly by the main game executable, resulting in a zombie process. A zombie process needs to be terminated manually or by a program that is designed to determine any dead processes.

- SKay

That could be a wikipedia article

5 hours ago, MaxJedburgh said:

I haven't had to manually end process on APB_Catcher since the last Windows update, whereas I did have it stacking before.

No idea why, it's just been closing cleanly when I exit the game after the Update.

i fresh reinstalled APB after the latest windows update (a big one) and I also dont have to manually close APB_Catcher anymore..... I did get trade locked for 3 days however.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:14 AM, safdfsgkjhdgsjkhs said:

... I did get trade locked for 3 days however.

Yes...Trade lock. At least it was over by the time I figured out why it had happened.

I was gonna suggest replacing APB_Catcherprogram with a text file of the same name, but if it's closing cleanly now, then good news for us all.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:37 AM, SKay said:

- SKay

ZYZVd6K.png

43 minutes ago, a Pair of Socks said:

ZYZVd6K.png

I'm presuming you're downvoting the post you quoted because of this image of a fair amount of zombie processes. The post I put up explained what these are, so I'm not sure why you're downvoting it.

To quote myself:

On 9/11/2019 at 11:37 AM, SKay said:

Yes. the problem existed a week ago . I don't see a problem at the moment .

On 9/14/2019 at 4:42 PM, SKay said:

I'm presuming you're downvoting the post you quoted because of this image of a fair amount of zombie processes. The post I put up explained what these are, so I'm not sure why you're downvoting it.

To quote myself:

I didnt downvote? Im not like the rest of the community and downvote something just because I dont agree with it.

To quote myself: I dont give a fuck about this community.

Edited by Guest
just posted for the meme my dude,