supermariobrothe

Things in APB that are detrimental to the mental health of its players

12 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Nice. 

There was an occasion where an enforcer found our operation and he was so stunned that he just told us to keep going that he just want to see, we had a bunch of other civilian vans along with the clan ones and 2 guys on N5 as bodyguards blocking the entrance with dumptrucks. ...the good ol'times.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

With the ability to ramraid in unpopulated districts, rampant inflation was added to the in game economy. 

It's currently a nearly unchecked method of printing money. 

very true.

I'm just talking about how its being implied that its a toxic mess

I don't recall anyone on mic or typing in chat raging toxic like that.

1 hour ago, Fortune Runner said:

very true.

I'm just talking about how its being implied that its a toxic mess

I don't recall anyone on mic or typing in chat raging toxic like that.

Oh I see what you mean. 

Yeah, no worse than any other scenario in APB. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 7:07 PM, Queen of Love said:
  1. add some enforcer extra activity including AI civilian (like speed limit ,drunk drive control)
  2. remove the cash reward for enforcer for witnessing, but convert it in EXP reward.

this could solve a lot of toxicity.

for an enfo in a 20/20 district is bad wait 30m for have a mission, due to crime robbery around city.

this automatic means enfos will hunt every van with a crime inside. maybe also with unwanted trolling  just for hunt potential witnessing.

qiMRJiT.png

This. I love this.

I can't find my post about giving Enfos a version of ramraiding - but it was pretty much the same as in Enfos vs Civilians - but to balance it out we "mug" vehicles instead of foot-mobiles (pull over/extort/fine) and "ram-raid" doors instead of shop fronts and garages (drug bust/raid/evidence collection). 

How the vehicle pull over works is difficult - would take a massive work in the AI department - but maybe we could just "Commandeer" a vehicle as normal, but the invincible civilian that pops out of the vehicle now has a little prompt like the mugging prompt - but for Enfos only. We can cancel getting into the car or exit the car and give that person a ticket, then they disappear into the void and the vehicle remains as Commandeered. 

The easiest solution would be just to give us current raiding but change the names up to make it fit more into the Enfo style (extort instead of mug etc). But then it might increase the toxic behaviour as we're fighting for the same targets - it seems more harmonious (sorry Zombie, lore takes another hit) to have us "working" side by side - we can still be jerks and witness each other - but then there would be a bulk of players that would prefer to simply farm away with no trouble. 

More on Enfo-Ramraiding here.

Also give crims LTL - with "kidnap/ransom" instead of arrest. Although my fluff version of this is instead of arrest/kidnap - it just becomes a coup de grace - Crims stun Enfos so they can murder us in style - takes the same time as an arrest - but uses a knife instead of cuffs (which can be modded life cuffmate). Crim approaches stunned Enfos, gets them to stand up under gun point, shoves knife in their back, Enfo writhes in pain on the ground and if not saved by another Enfo in the same time Crims remained cuffed - they bleed out. Crim gets extra money from the vault in the sky for killing with style.

Here's some more ideas on adding things for us to do while there is no OP. 

Bring back Drug Mule

Bring back Gold Rush.

Edited by KnifuWaifu
i still can't find that OG post

13 hours ago, Salvick said:

This is how we do it:

friends , clans - obligation and misuse .  

as far as I remember you can easily spits on team members to save their gold.

Edited by olo

On 9/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, Salvick said:

There was an occasion where an enforcer found our operation and he was so stunned that he just told us to keep going that he just want to see, we had a bunch of other civilian vans along with the clan ones and 2 guys on N5 as bodyguards blocking the entrance with dumptrucks. ...the good ol'times.

That sounds almost like like a movie scenario lol

• Like 1

APB isn't causing people to be assholes or to have dysfunctional social skills. People bring that behavior into the game and onto the forums. I know this. I have been in so many arguments on the forums concerning superfluous $hit with people like this before I realized I was arguing with someone who simply wasn't right in the head. I'm not being a jerk when I say that. I'm saying that as a statement of virtue: I don't tolerate their bull$hit. Period. I don't care what the excuses are. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and people don't deserve to be treated the way a lot of folks who play this game treat others. You can say almost anything, and there will always be that one pleasant fellow who shows up to rip you a new one over something incredibly stupid. I once got my patootie chewed out by a guy on these forums NOT because of what I wrote or even my tone, but because I didn't write it the way he wanted it written. I'm not even kidding or exaggerating.

These days, there might seem to be a whole lot of them because most sane people moved on years ago. I don't know for certain. I don't hang around here but once on a blue moon to see if anything has happened. APB is an old game that had a lot of poorly designed and developed systems even when it was released. It had it's time to be fun, but that time has passed. Nothing has been done to change any of those issues since then. It keeps getting a slop of paint every now and then, but the problems are subsurface. And those problems have never been addressed.

Point is: People have problems. APB has problems. They aren't related.

What you're trying to do is make an argument that APB is triggering people with problems, and so the solution is to remove the triggers. No. The problem isn't the triggers, and honestly, I'm not even confident that you have established certain systems in the game ever are behavior triggers. Most of the points you raised are just poorly designed systems. The problem is the person who has the problems. APB and the community who enjoys the game are not responsible for that person's social development. There are doctors for that sort of thing. APB just needs to worry about being a good game, and the community just needs to stop being dickheads to one another. Not to protect people with poor social development. But simply because it's better when people aren't acting like they have no concept of functional social interaction.

Edited by Zascha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zascha said:

APB isn't causing people to be assholes or to have dysfunctional social skills. People bring that behavior into the game and onto the forums. I know this. I have been in so many arguments on the forums concerning superfluous $hit with people like this before I realized I was arguing with someone who simply wasn't right in the head. I'm not being a jerk when I say that. I'm saying that as a statement of virtue: I don't tolerate their bull$hit. Period. I don't care what the excuses are. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and people don't deserve to be treated the way a lot of folks who play this game treat others. You can say almost anything, and there will always be that one pleasant fellow who shows up to rip you a new one over something incredibly stupid. I once got my patootie chewed out by a guy on these forums NOT because of what I wrote or even my tone, but because I didn't write it the way he wanted it written. I'm not even kidding or exaggerating.

These days, there might seem to be a whole lot of them because most sane people moved on years ago. I don't know for certain. I don't hang around here but once on a blue moon to see if anything has happened. APB is an old game that had a lot of poorly designed and developed systems even when it was released. It had it's time to be fun, but that time has passed. Nothing has been done to change any of those issues since then. It keeps getting a slop of paint every now and then, but the problems are subsurface. And those problems have never been addressed.

What you're trying to do is make an argument that APB is triggering people with problems, and so the solution is to remove the triggers. No. The problem isn't the triggers, and honestly, I'm not even confident that you have established certain systems in the game ever are behavior triggers. Most of the points you raised are just poorly designed systems. The problem is the person who has the problems. APB and the community who enjoys the game are not responsible for that person's social development. There are doctors for that sort of thing. APB just needs to worry about being a good game, and the community just needs to stop being dickheads to one another. Not to protect people with poor social development. But simply because it's better when people aren't acting like they have no concept of functional social interaction.

Do you have a fan club yet? are you single? The fan club would want to know.....because that was all sorts of awesome.

I don't think anyone could of worded that better.

Get rid of loot boxes from this game. Don't even think of trying to re-branding it to something new in the future in the hopes of bringing it back especially if it functions the same way. If you won't get rid of them, at least dont allow minors or children play this game at all. It is that simple. Better yet, if you really care, dont have loot boxes, especially if you can pay real money for them.

2 minutes ago, ScLines said:

Get rid of loot boxes from this game. Don't even think of trying to re-branding it to something new in the future in the hopes of bringing it back especially if it functions the same way. If you won't get rid of them, at least dont allow minors or children play this game at all. It is that simple. Better yet, if you really care, dont have loot boxes, especially if you can pay real money for them.

It just slap one of these on there...

lAc3kdM.png

...oh wait

5 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

It just slap one of these on there...

lAc3kdM.png

...oh wait

Uhu. The AO rating would be the correct rating for this game. Even the ESRB rating on the website explains so.

Edited by ScLines
  • Like 1

This ESRB description is pretty funny. What a weird agency.

Rating Summary

This is an "open-world" action game in which players assume the roles of enforcers (members of an unspecified law enforcement division) or criminals as they move through the environment and engage in missions. Players use realistic shotguns, machine guns, and grenades to kill adversaries in frequent gun fights. Successful hits result in large spurts of blood that sometimes splash on the camera. The game allows players to shoot or run over civilians, who cry out in pain when attacked. Enforcer characters can arrest criminals, and are able to execute them after cuffing their hands. Some missions involve transporting packets of drugs to a particular location; the words "heroin," "hash," and "crack" can be heard during some dialogue. Dialogue also contains the words "f**k" and "sh*t."

19 hours ago, Zascha said:

I would agree with you but than theres these small things you are willing to overlook which is the mental distressed caused by lets say the ram raiding mechanic (you should have sen how mental the ramraiders were going over their lost 8k in a chat screenshot that mods removed lol) that can negatively effect the people on the receiving end too, making them bitter or even learning by example and bullying others in the game(just like the bullies at school are actually kids who are having it really rough themselves after school), not just the assholes doing it. Than there's also acquired assholish behavior that you will see every mission like people blocking objectives with vry chance they get, trying to preemptively screw over their opposition before the opposition screws them, this kind of learned way of thinking could than possibly carry over to other things in life, as it does with other unhealthy environments.

Also to be clear, this is not the same as the "violent games make people violet" nonsense, this is something completely different, this is not simulated violence in a fictional world with rules of its own, we all understand that that stuff isnt real and there for we dont act out on it in reality. The problem that im getting at is that these are real people interacting with other real people and the fact that APB is a videogame is just a coincidence, its simply an unhealthy environment that people are being put into just like the school yard or a workplace.

Edited by supermariobrothe

This game is fine on its own but the community is a garbage excuse of toxic shithole thats been a nuclear waste dumping site for several years.

Welcome to APB.

Edited by Guest
but yeah idk my dude, Ive lost all passion for this game as its no longer enjoyable to play. IDK if they can fix this mess and I honestly 100% think that I would have been better off in my life if I had never started playing this game.

44 minutes ago, a Pair of Socks said:

This game is fine on its own but the community is a garbage excuse of toxic shithole thats been a nuclear waste dumping site for several years.

Do you still play? If not come back and go wreck stuff. Its good therapy to cut loose once in a while.

Edited by Fortune Runner

7 hours ago, supermariobrothe said:

I would agree with you but than theres these small things you are willing to overlook which is the mental distressed caused by lets say the ram raiding mechanic (you should have sen how mental the ramraiders were going over their lost 8k in a chat screenshot that mods removed lol) that can negatively effect the people on the receiving end too, making them bitter or even learning by example and bullying others in the game(just like the bullies at school are actually kids who are having it really rough themselves after school), not just the assholes doing it. Than there's also acquired assholish behavior that you will see every mission like people blocking objectives with vry chance they get, trying to preemptively screw over their opposition before the opposition screws them, this kind of learned way of thinking could than possibly carry over to other things in life, as it does with other unhealthy environments.

Also to be clear, this is not the same as the "violent games make people violet" nonsense, this is something completely different, this is not simulated violence in a fictional world with rules of its own, we all understand that that stuff isnt real and there for we dont act out on it in reality. The problem that im getting at is that these are real people interacting with other real people and the fact that APB is a videogame is just a coincidence, its simply an unhealthy environment that people are being put into just like the school yard or a workplace.

I'm not overlooking anything. I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm talking about the principle of a thing. What are we talking about, here? APB? No. We're talking about the principle: APB is a game. All games are the same. We could be talking about Basketball. So let's apply your logic to the game of Basketball.

Your friend shoots a 3-Pointer, but misses because you blocked his shot. Then he gets in your face and starts to curse at you and maybe he even gets physically violent. Why? Because what you did caused him stress he didn't like. He didn't get to have the thing he liked because of you. And you did what you did because the rules allowed it. What you did is the objective of the game, even. Even if we consider that his behavior is wrong--which it is--and we focus purely on you, think about how much stress you would be under if your friend behaved this way toward you.

What you're saying in this case is that 3-Pointers should be removed or redesigned from the game NOT because it causes stress in your friend, but because it causes stress in yourself by proxy of your friend's behavior.

What I'm telling you is that the 3-Pointers aren't the problem. The problem is the people involved. Your friend has a behavior problem, and you have a coping mechanism problem. Changing the 3-Pointer rules isn't going to resolve either person's problem.

Point is, your argumentation is derelict of real value, because you aren't being objective with your reasoning. This is exactly why "Safe Spaces" are stupid in concept. It's just another rule or law that pretends it's going to fix the problem that was created by people not respecting rules or laws already in place. It doesn't work.

APB needs to focus on being a fun/good game. People need to stop being dickheads to one another. That's as good as it's ever going to get. The best thing people who behave badly in APB can do is to stop playing the game and go out and live an actual life. The best thing a person who cannot deal with assholes can do is to stop playing the game and go out and live an actual life.

APB needs to change. But it needs to change for reasons that have nothing to do with keeping people safe from abuse. It can punish bad/abusive behavior, but what you're talking about will generate a concept which will proactively prevent people from proper social functionality according to their own free choice. In other words, I am a good person because I choose to be. Because that's who I am. I like being as good a person to others as best I can. But when you start forcing me to do things--even if I would have done them anyway--what you're doing is you're removing my own authority from my own heart and mind. And that's going to make someone even like myself very, very upset.

Edited by Zascha
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Zascha said:

I don't care what the excuses are. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and people don't deserve to be treated the way a lot of folks who play this game treat others.

APB just needs to worry about being a good game, and the community just needs to stop being dickheads to one another. Not to protect people with poor social development. But simply because it's better when people aren't acting like they have no concept of functional social interaction.

This sums up the whole thing I think. But I liked your whole post, almost heard a voice giving the speech while reading it, lol.

In my opinion there are a lot of different kinds of jerks and good people, and there's where I still think the op has a point although couldn't address it accurately, but many people in APB has been in the edge of returning back the negativity. The main difference might be that in one hand you have the ones who react to that hostility when they fall in provocations while in the other are the ones who act like shit towards anyone around just for sport.

11 hours ago, Zascha said:

Basketball

If you understand it, why did you compare it to the "violent videogames cause violence" propaganda and why do you not address the points i made instead of giving your basketball analogy that doesnt make much sense so compare to what the problems im pointing out in APB are.

APB is more of a shitty workplace environment where people are put in different positions of power and abuse that power to grab your patootie whenever they want and your boss did not have the foresight to set any rules regarding it. Or a school yard where none of the teachers are keeping an eye on what the kids are doing.

Using your own basketball analogy, there are moves in basketball that are against the rules and players get punished for them in the game by judges, in APB however there are rules as well but not a single GM around to punish people for breaking those rules, because they are too busy flaunting their GM tag in stead of keeping an eye on matches.

Anyway, stop being so reactionary and listen to whats being said before dismissing it all and saying its fine, it is not fine and ou yourself admit that the game needs to focus on being fun/good game, and in order to do that it needs to figure out what in it is not fun, and i have pointed a few of those things out.

Also no one wants to force you to do anything, if you are already a decent person, you got nothing to worry about, if you are already doing the right thing, no ones gonna be captain obvious and tell you to do the right thing that you are already doing, because that is counter productive,  but majority of people when given the choice will choose the path of least resistance, be it cheats, exploits, running with items, blocking objectives with cars, being mean fuckers. Im not asking them to create "safe spaces" im asking them to rethink some of the game mechanics a litle better, like give enforcers a good way to make money like crims, make ram raiding and witnessing missions more fun and rewarding than ram raiding itself so people would actively want to be witnessed, giving them a better multiplier if they win, introduce community proposed fixes to the P5/N5 system and disable the ability to get rid of it by killing members of your own faction. these kind of things, why is it so difficult to grasp it without feeling under attack and having these kneejerk reactions, rushing to construct a flimsy strawman and than defeat that strawman to make yourself feel safe again.

1 hour ago, supermariobrothe said:

im asking them to rethink some of the game mechanics a litle better, like give enforcers a good way to make money like crims, make ram raiding and witnessing missions more fun and rewarding than ram raiding itself so people would actively want to be witnessed, giving them a better multiplier if they win, introduce community proposed fixes to the P5/N5 system and disable the ability to get rid of it by killing members of your own faction. these kind of things, why is it so difficult to grasp it without feeling under attack and having these kneejerk reactions, rushing to construct a flimsy strawman and than defeat that strawman to make yourself feel safe again.

*sigh*

Dude.

The title of your thread is: THINGS IN APB THAT ARE DETRIMENTAL TO THE MENTAL HEALTH OF ITS PLAYERS

Nothing in that paragraph you just wrote to me--the part I have hi-lighted in red--has anything to do with the title of your thread, or the original post you made, or anything you've written to me in response since then. You're literally changing your argument every single time I write to you.

I don't have trouble grasping what you've written. You have trouble keeping up with what you've written.

I am, however, having trouble caring to respond at this point, because you aren't paying attention.

Moreover, I haven't written anything that is knee-jerk reactionary. I have not been coarse with you. I have not made strawman arguments. You simply aren't understanding, and you are reading everything I have written with your inner angry voice.

I want everyone else reading along to witness this, because this is exactly how it happens: This is one of those times on these forums when a person gets suckered into a stupid argument over something superfluous by someone who simply isn't right in the head.

And I'm just gonna side-step this whole thing...

• Thanks 1

How about enemies dying in 8 shots when it's 8 shots to kill? Especially those with cyrylic names. I think that would be a nice start when it comes to game health...

4 hours ago, Zascha said:

Dude.

The title of your thread is: THINGS IN APB THAT ARE DETRIMENTAL TO THE MENTAL HEALTH OF ITS PLAYERS

Nothing in that paragraph you just wrote to me--the part I have hi-lighted in red--has anything to do with the title of your thread, or the original post you made, or anything you've written to me in response since then. You're literally changing your argument every single time I write to you. 

Dude, what you highlighted in red is a a response to your strawman that i want a "safe space", this is not true and i explained what my actual position. Im not changing my argument, im just responding to the specific thing you are saying. you also probably skipped a lot of the discussion, which i didnt realize at the time and thought you knew all the things i said to clarify some of what i ment in the original post, and went straight to responding to my original post,

But ill try to condense it into as little amount of words as possible.

Things in APB that are detrimental to the mental health of the people playing it are poorly thought out game mechanics that create crate an unhealthy environment and situations comparable to a toxic workplace or a school. How you may ask? I have listed some of the mechanics and situations this game creates and how it can negatively effect someone.

You think that all of this assholish behavior in the game is just baggage people bring with them to the game (which like i said i would agree with you), but you are only half right because the bad game mechanics i mentioned help to facilitate all that baggage and create an unhealthy environment, are you following me now?

The facilitation if this baggage and the reward they get for doing bad things gives positive feedback and incentive to keep doing it, solidifying it into someones personality, people on the receiving end can start to learn from example and do it to otehrs too to make them feel better about their own situation or develop unhealthy reflexes to it and lash out in situations where they think that its happening again.

Do you not agree that this baggage they brought doesnt mix well with all the bad game mechanics and can create an environment that can negatively effect other people over a period of time, just like it does in other places, such as schools or workplaces, if it happens there, why cant it happen in APB?

Also sorry if i have offended you, assuming things about you and being abrasive is just a reflex i developed over the years of using this particular forum.

2 hours ago, Zascha said:

And I'm just gonna side-step this whole thing...

Good idea. Seems op only wants to hear from people who agree with his safe space logic. Your argument was clear to everyone who bothers to read between the lines. Good job 👍

Merged

Can i also point out, i agree with almost everything you stated about the game mechanics, but then you take it too far by referencing aspd and mental health. Your whole post could have been changed to "things in apb that negatively effect a players experience". You go too far

1 hour ago, Kylegrey2 said:

Good idea. Seems op only wants to hear from people who agree with his safe space logic. Your argument was clear to everyone who bothers to read between the lines. Good job 👍

Merged

Can i also point out, i agree with almost everything you stated about the game mechanics, but then you take it too far by referencing aspd and mental health. Your whole post could have been changed to "things in apb that negatively effect a players experience". You go too far

That is not true, in my original post i said that i cam to the conclusion that this game turns people into assholes, but than i read a bunch of replies from people and it made me change my mind to include people that are already assholes and bring their baggage to the game.

Also i just said they develop symptoms of aspd, not the whole disorder, also you dont think that unhealthy environments can cause issues to people's mental health? in general, like school or work place? also not sure if sock puppet account🤔

4 minutes ago, supermariobrothe said:

i just said they develop symptoms of aspd, not the whole disorder, also not sure if sock puppet account

Ok well now youre acting like a defensive twat. Not saying you are a defensive twat, just saying youre displaying the symptoms.

1 minute ago, Kylegrey2 said:

Ok well now youre acting like a defensive twat. Not saying you are a defensive twat, just saying youre displaying the symptoms.

Someones mad 😄