MattScott

Fallen Earth servers going offline 10/2

On 9/3/2019 at 11:12 PM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

This is a bit bittersweet for me.

Prior to September 22nd, we will be launching the first all new event in honor of the 10 year anniversary for Fallen Earth.

We hope that players will enjoy what we have planned, because this will now be their last chance to play the current game with their friends.

I'm sad to announce that effective 10/2 (or there about based on when the event goes live), we will be taking the Fallen Earth servers offline.

Unfortunately after weeks of monitoring things and getting players feedback, I have determined the current state of Fallen Earth just isn't sustainable in its current form.

You guys have been very tolerant, but the player experience is terrible right now. It's laggy and buggy. Servers crash quite often, and stacking is still disabled due to exploits. 

I don't blame the player base for the low concurrency numbers. You need a better game to play.

For clarity, I am still committed to the new version of the game that we have been working on.

However we are still very early into development, so there isn't a timeline I can provide yet.

I want to personally thank everyone for their support over the last 17 months. Fallen Earth is still one of my favorite projects.

I look forward to giving it the proper attention it deserves.

EDIT: We will be turning on Commander for everything till the servers are turned off.

Sincerely,

Matt 

If/when  this new version of the game  come will be able to log in with our accounts and will you save all of our characters and our achievements and if we are premium users will be premium also in this new version of the game?

2 minutes ago, DantesHell said:

If/when  this new version of the game  come will be able to log in with our accounts and will you save all of our characters and our achievements and if we are premium users will be premium also in this new version of the game?

They havent even decided yet if they are making a re-make or a sequel so i wouldnt expect this "new" version anytime soon if ever

On 9/14/2019 at 7:38 AM, Artemi Six said:

HOW DO I HOARSE!!!???

YOU HOARSE BY CHANNELING YOUR INNER VISTA

giphy.gif

Edited by KatArus

On 9/3/2019 at 5:12 PM, MattScott said:

For clarity, I am still committed to the new version of the game that we have been working on.

However we are still very early into development, so there isn't a timeline I can provide yet.

@MattScott, I don't think I've seen answers to these questions - please forgive me if I've just missed them. 

Will the forums stay open in the interim?

Will there continue to be progress updates in the forums and in the #thisoldgame hashtag on Twitter?

Thanks for your dedication to the project. 

3 hours ago, Julian Bull said:

@MattScott, I don't think I've seen answers to these questions - please forgive me if I've just missed them. 

Will the forums stay open in the interim?

Will there continue to be progress updates in the forums and in the #thisoldgame hashtag on Twitter?

Thanks for your dedication to the project. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:13 AM, Micwilbur said:

Will the forum also be taken down?

On 9/5/2019 at 4:16 AM, MattScott said:

No. The forums will stay here so we can post updates on the new version.

• Thanks 2

Hope to see all you Wastelanders around for the lights out....I hope to be logged in when they shut down the Alec Masters cloner for good. Fingers crossed Matt and his team will give this game that meant so much to a lot of us a proper reboot.

Peace.

-Misbee Haven

On 9/4/2019 at 12:12 AM, MattScott said:

but the player experience is terrible right now. It's laggy and buggy. Servers crash quite often, and stacking is still disabled due to exploits. 

I don't blame the player base for the low concurrency numbers. You need a better game to play.

Dont you have pre Outpost server builds? they were stable

Thereis no better game. People dont play it but they love it.

if you cant fix exploits dont fix. make it worthless to exploit.

For some people to have an option to log in on own toon and socialize is enough. lets say you have only citadel for some pve/ flagged pvp plus chat.

Or at least to power up the server twice a year like an event.

fe on new engine is another game

I poured tons of hours into Fallen Earth both as an old Icarus dev and as a player.  It had a good run and I hope it comes roaring back once Little Orbit finishes converting everything to a new engine.

So many fond memories of departments showing their latest content for the game in company meetings, then going to lunch with the rest of my crew to the nearby japanese steakhouse.  Joining half the studio on raids testing newly developed areas and laughing to myself when we were annihilated.

Playing with people around the globe was so much fun.  Joining a raid to defend Citadel or traveling in a massive convoy to fight for harvesters in The District against another massive team.  I spent a few weekends leading Gore Boss teams for hours at a time.  I max leveled at least one character for every faction and must have joined two dozen different clans.  Got well known enough as a healer that I made a couple healing tutorials.  Messed with people maybe a little too often using new line code (\n) that worked in chat for some reason.

There were plenty of heart aches and head aches too.  The dev team was devastated after lay offs, but our lives moved on.  I still keep up with a handful of them.  Then in game, new content regularly made old content meaningless.  It's fine if fun new bosses are introduced or pvp gets a big injection, but grinding isn't fun.  The lag was unbearable at times and the game seriously needed a duping fix.

I left eventually when real life obligations took center stage, but I never lost my fondness for Fallen Earth or it's community.  You guys are the reason I loved playing this game.  Thank you.  I wish old Fallen Earth a good send off and hope to greet new Wastelanders upon its return.  I'll see you out in the wastes.

wave-good-bye.gif

• Like 3

I met my best friend of nearly ten years in this game, and we're like sisters. The RP community was impressive, and even a few GMs joined in on the fun. Invicta needs to come back and throw one final bash like in the old days and have one last ride

I had a lot of fun playing this over the years, and met a lot of cool people. Loved also being able to help newer people out when I maxed out my first character! One thing I'll note, if the remake does actually happen - I really hope that you guys maintain a similar crafting system. One of the biggest things I loved was that 95% of the weapons, armor, consumables, vehicles, etc could be made by the players, without a need for paying cash or anything other than a bit of a wait time for recipes to be made - and it was fully modular. Want to just craft medicine? Sure! Want to also craft armor, and melee weapons? No problem! Want to craft other stuff, but stay away from motorcycles and cars? No worries! That aspect really made it fun for me, especially as I was never a huge fan of PvP, because it meant I could support other players, while still having my fun with crafting and PvE portions of the game. Here's hoping the remake does get made! 

• Like 1

This game took only six months of my life, but forever took half of my soul. A six-month marathon ... and then I returned to it only from time to time. No matter how much I try other MMORPGs, the FE has overshadowed all of them. I will always remember this game as it was, and I can hardly replace it with anything.
It feels like an old friend is dead, and believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
I really hope that you can make a decent "remake", but honestly, I can hardly believe it
The current event for me is akin to a commemoration of a good friend. Too sad for me.

So R.I.P. Fallen Earth. I will always remember you.

o/ heya all clones, LO officals and all FE friends,

i am a long time player (startet my first account in beta) and played it on a daily base for 9+ years, with an average of prolly 8hrs a day.

of course i took some shorter breaks here&there, but FE allways was in my heart and mind, since it is the FIRST AND ONLY mmo, that got me playing longer then lets say 9 month.

so, yeah, Fallen Earth is actually a big and important part of my gamers life and i really was shocked, when i heard about its shutdown,

surely all players knew about the low population and the massive issues FE has, aswell as the low income it surely brought the last years.

over all the years, i spend something between 3-5k Euros on FE with my 6 accounts and i don´t regret a single cent, since it was a nice and timefilling hobby to me, actually a passion

i remember the old days, when FE was much more populated and one could meet a clone in most areas/towns, instead of finding an abonden canyon

sure, fallen earth is a nichegame with a step learning curve and the post-apoc, aswell as the free build system and many other unique things about it doesn´t attract hundredtousands of players,

but FE allways was perfect for loners, but also for socializing, it gave players multible choises of how/when to do, whatever the crand canyon had to offer,

wanna run missions? sure, plenty tousand outthere. not in the mood to? well then hang around somewhere and enjoy the world or meet up with others to shitchat

wanna take ya time getting lvls, make missions and explore, craft and collect mats for or to sell, or rush forward

solo the most or team up with others for missionruns, mats gathering, xp grinds, crafting sessions or just to hang around

stay neutral or get into faction, maybe even shoulder- or mixed factions

roleplaying (with /e, commands and speshul items even and in specific areas (barret used to be the place) or the entire canyon

make the build of choice: tanky DD, tanky healer, healing DD, crafter or not, with or without mutations

most of the stuff ingame is either craftable or elseways gainable, market was NOT p2w and just offered cosmetics and some stuff to ease up the cloner´s hardworking day 😄

i am absolut sure, if FE gets the love and passion and the propper knowledge/manpower to recreat on new engine, it will become a big thing, IF:

the actual game is FIXED and transitioned to a stable and laggfree server (if possible transfere ALL the unique/removed/speshul rare and marketplace items fromactual FE-accounts)

new sectors with massive amount of missions (neutral, NPC- and player choosable factions) aswell as the beloved serendipity bosses and exploring areas with nodes as it is in s1-s3

lvl-raise to 65/75 with craftable gear/buffs and tents and all the good stuff, but in variable versions as it was before lvl 45, when it only became a set of suits and a few weapons to choose

maybe some allways wanted stuff addet (player housings with barbuff/workshopboost or something, multipassenger mounts, unattune item on marketplace)

the rewards in lower areas are more balanced, when it comes to amount of chips and a few buffand equal items (xp seems to fit imo)

NONTRADABLEs rewarding missions should be reapatable [many destroy lowlvl stuff (often mission requires a higher lvl to do, then the reward) and later regret that, cause it will never be in collection]

GORE weapons are rebalanced again, they were nerfed to death after beeing OP at the beginning for some players

DOME gets further rounds and tier5 speshul rewards

BLOODSPORT should get a survival mode (mixture of battle royal for like 4 clones, that have to kill others, but also be attacked by NPC and have to make PvE mission)

bring back old recipes to creat fasteners, plastic and such

add a augmentable trinket (in style of AP weapons)

make factions worth again (new ranks, missions and gear, maybe just make versions of other gear, like a *insert faction* GT suit with additional modifiers, fitting the factions origin)

either add mute-ability, maybe for 1hr temporary to hazmats (aka knowledge helpers), aswell as acces to some tools to create and host events OR have GMs be present

make random GM held events. as they used to be (GM or maybe hazmats/others spawns/turns into enemy like earthwalker and have clones kill it as a rewardet mission, hide&seek and other events)

add new cosmetics, vehicles, mounts and pets (both could be based on existing creatures, like grendel, earthwalker, tiny shiva, bears and so on)

i got plenty more ideas, that would help to (re-)gain population, but with some worthy stuff and updates, aswell as advertising in all socialmedias (former owners hardly did at all),

a propper reworked fallen earth WILL have a great future

I WILL MISS NEARLY ANYTHING ABOUT FALLEN EARTH AND ITS COMMUNITY

i do have faith and hopes in you, LO and matt

also i want to thank you for creating the last stand event, its one of the last fun things to do and meet the players before the shutdown

bringing back old events and theyre rewards after takeover of G1 was also great, thx for that 🙂

PLEASE MAKE FALLEN EARTH GREAT AGAIN

untill then:

c ya o/

have fun and i hope to see ALL the old Vets, weekend-clones and masses of new players in the wasteland 2.0

need a kickstarter for a fallen earth remake

that way enough funding and people working on it can guarantee it to happen quickly as possible

• Like 2

I've been playing on and off for god knows how many years now and something keeps on bringing me back to this game no matter what. It took me a while to figure out why I keep coming back instead of quitting, but I finally figured out that it is the amazing community that kept on roping me back in...(lets be honest I wasn't coming back just for the graphics haha). I understand that at the end of the day you can only pump so much time and resources into a project before you just cant justify it any more. 

On the topic of a revamp of Fallen Earth - I am quite weary of it. I am afraid that it mainly wont happen, that it will be drastically different from what i currently love about it, that it wont work. However, I encourage you to do what you feel is right for the game. 

Ultimately I'm disappointed that this is the end of Fallen Earth, I wish that it could have come another way. But i'm also glad that you've decided to shut it down instead of continuing to let it drag on meaninglessly.

Hope to see y'all in the future

- Mrcowsley

Good luck to current masters with their Fallen Earth 2.0 project and great thanks to original FE devs and story writers (these back before 2002) - for incredible idea and realization of post-apocalyptic world. 

I suppose i may spend some cash to pay for standalone single player version of FE game if such ever created, It would be the best way to get preserved certain stuff as I want to remember and return to it sometimes, and it is feasible. Lore is good, chain quest is there. I bet the number of FE players like me never needed multiplayer / pvp to enjoy the game anyway.

Few my observations of (few of many) what was gone wrong :

1. The faction system sounds cool from lore point of view, still it wasn't that much rewarding (ok, Enforcer consumables were really cool). Crafting, weapons, synergy ? Speaking of highly praised crafting - it could be better made already in 2012, especially if it was less dependent on PvP mats and give a crafter more personal / factional touch. It also lacked an impact of personal choices made in lore story quests. The original design assumed you need ton of faction rep to farm, so you could craft faction armor. But for most of late comers, it was obsolete piece, only needed a as one of possible ways to get GORE armor. But wait - even it became useless with GT armor intro.

2. GORE boss raids were one of few successful and good game features, and it was solid way to make some a credits for pve players. The was a synergy between GORE raids, Citadel and gathering of PvP mat (rothium). I think the best time for game was when all people hunted for GORE parts. Citadel used to be a great community hub. It was fine for like 2 years, game was alive. Then GORE weapons nerfed and DT weps/GT armor set added, it made all GORE-related stuff obsolete. As a result it killed a need to participate in Citadel  raids, it dissolved end-game community over few territories. Sure, GORE weapons nerf while was anticipated for very long time, but i saw it also caused that many people left the game, who heavily invested real money into it. 

3. DOME wasn't friendly to solo/pve players while it became a gold mine for others. Devs were fine with it, and generally they never care of what average pve players feedback was. I think the DOME over year of its existence antagonized another group of players, who couldn't complete even early stage of DOME. 

Edited by Ripperblade
  • Like 1

Well, we got all the old items we wanted: Ant Bait, 8-Bit Hats, Armored Horse and more. We got new items and an anniversary shirt too.

I guess I wasn't expecting this much effort to be put into the game right before it gets shut down.

Now I just have to figure out how to get that last 4 reward points since this commander premium we got did not give any reward points - and it prevented me from being able to activate my own tradable premium to get those points.

We can still spend reward points at the in-game merchants, assuming we get any ...

By the way, don't forget to redeem all of your Spiked Choppa and Preorder ATV keys.

make your toons do a /wave /bow or anything you like on youtube. upload and put #ripfe in the title

plus if you like put your story in description or voice it

Those are the last heartbeats… this is it, my soul cries… I never expected a game to take so much place in my heart, tho i've couldn't enjoy it as much as i would have wanted lately… When i first saw that message, i tought it was a bad joke, a terrible one. But let's face it we are far from April's fool. Even if we all sorta knew it would come to this point, someday, it's still bleb… I wanna hug all the good hearts i met in here; thanks for all the awesome peeps who been patient ennuf to help me out, for all the good laughs and all the impossible situations…  Oh and one final digital kick in the crotch for those who deserved it… I luved you all!..  in your very own way! ^.~  Oh! And p.s.  I finally found my way back on steam, i would love to get you in my contact list, pm me if you want!

I'm sick thinking about what we are loosing right now… This community was a blast... Not that i played bunch of games, i'm more like a "stick to what you like" girl, but it would be totally dumb to not see the uniqueness, the magic that this game brought to us. This place that doesn't exist will remain full of ghosts…

*shakes ammo on the beat, drops head & sings*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZh6E9cKXg

I was lucky when I started playing FE 6 years ago.  I was fortunate enough to meet and become a member of one of the oldest clans in the game.  The Drifters.  They were, and still are, an awesome bunch of people and we had a lot of fun.  All the parties and events.  Especially the naked runs through Kingman Prison with nothing but a club for a weapon.  Friendships made and memories to reflect on.

For me it is all reminiscent of Star Wars Galaxies shutting down after 8 years of play.  After that I'd thought I'd never find another such community.  Then I found Fallen Earth.  For now, the Drifters have taken refuge in Destiny 2 but we will be awaiting to hopefully return to Fallen Earth some day as it is our true home.  So long for now, everyone.  Keep the shiny side up and your powder dry.

Katiana, Drifter Enigma

I leave you a farewell video, I haven't made a video for years and I think it's the least I can do for this great game that I met in 2011. Mattscott, I believe in your word, I hope you make your promise a reality, a greeting!!

Edited by Aroa Croft
  • Like 3

Well, this hurts. After over 10,500 hrs in this wonderful game, the lights are going off. After joining and leading one of the oldest in-game clans, Drifters, I've spent time and toons in Rage, Smokers, Oblivion and Guardian (to name a few). Met so many good people, and made so many good friends. I've joined some of those friends in Destiny 2, but I really hope that eventually the hamsters start running again, and those lights come back on. I remember my first day in this game so well - starting up in Zanesville. Watching people run around, shooting mobs, and thinking "this is weird". Then after completing that starter town, walking (yep, walking) all the way to Embry in the dark, I started to feel that this was a game I really wanted to play. And now it's all over bar the shouting. Such a shame. I love this game, and I so hope that it comes back. If it does, I'll be there for it.

Farewell friends, and keep safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As with all things, they must come to an end at some point. 

For the current version of Fallen Earth this day was today, a final update was posted by Matt Scott.

Stay healthy and possibly we will meet in Fallen Earth 2.0 (should that be the name).

~@mayii

On 9/5/2019 at 4:06 AM, Aroa Croft said:

Matt, at least you could try to reset and leave two maps, which may work and attract new players, all being in a controlled and small environment.

The biggest publicity of a game is "word of mouth" and although I think it would be stable in terms of money and contributions that players could contribute. For trying a month you lose nothing, since you plan to shut down the server.

To say that games like final fantasy arose from desperate ideas and are currently referents. To say that I believe in the potential of the game and although I tell you for the last time that the patch of gores was the one that created the current "lag" of the game (which was overwritten on several maps and bosses were put on). That was by mid 2012.

Greetings and thanks for not closing the forum while the game is closed.

Aroa Croft you make sense 👍 others going against you are drowning themselves. This hold up, it's inconclusive, an wastes time with words following a ending solution. It's just get it over 🤧 once all those who play the new server with a wipe,  they will continue to play. 😪