Sign in to follow this  
Luminesca

Message to Lidl orbit, from a bronze district resident.

Dethreaters(madness and others), dumb brain-dead russian teammates, lagging districts and client.
My boi Tyler pretty much sums it up. Threat is broken and exploitable. Have a system like in ESO, where after max level you gain veteran ranks. Base that on total action district time(across all characters and trace all accounts with fairfight) so no creating new account to go smurf in silvers. After that's in place just group similar skill levels together and against each other.

Edited by Luminesca

Champion rank in APB? In ESO matchmaker doesn't even take your acc CP and matches lvl 20 vanilla vs lvl 20 that has 700 CP (in battlegrounds). Kinda bad example.

Also threat/matchmaking based on rank is stupid because rank doesn't mean much.

Tutorial district where you can join up to certain rank would offer new players some protection. It could get abused by rerolls but it's hard to design bulletproof system. Everything can be abused.

Edited by Clandestine

i didnt know they let bronzes have posting privileges 

• Like 1

Grouping threats together goes against the design philosophy of the original vision of APB [Watch some of Dave Jones' Interviews from 2008] which i personally liked. I'd prefer it to go the other way.. A giant cauldron of mixed skilled players. Solutions exist.

Just now, Clandestine said:

Champion rank in APB? In ESO matchmaker doesn't even take your acc CP and matches lvl 20 vanilla vs lvl that has 700 CP (in battlegrounds). Kinda bad example.

Also threat/matchmaking based on rank is stupid because rank doesn't mean much.

Generally speaking, the more you play the better you get? So if ranking was not capped, it would pretty much show your rough skill level. The current system of determining threat(skill) based on score, is clearly not working.

yea why dont they just throw out unreal engine 4.0 and along with that 1000G1C for everyone while at it with your demand. 

Just now, Luminesca said:

Generally speaking, the more you play the better you get? So if ranking was not capped, it would pretty much show your rough skill level. The current system of determining threat(skill) based on score, is clearly not working.

But what about perma R255 bronzes? They are prime example that some people won't improve after hitting certain skill level.

Lidl Orbit, you say?!

cAOZILU.jpg

(unfortunately this uniform, colourscheme and slogan is now out of date - I'll have to fix that)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luminesca said:

Threat isnt just based on score. Its actually a rather complex formula. 

11 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

But what about perma R255 bronzes? They are prime example that some people won't improve after hitting certain skill level.

I haven't seen any. But the fact someone gets stuck on a threat and clearly not finding enjoyment getting grouped against farming premades of veteran gold plated players. 
I can hold my own in any district, but it's really sad to see, this game shooting itself in the foot and killing the new blood supposed to keep it alive.

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

Threat isnt just based on score. Its actually a rather complex formula. 

You gain and lose threat based on score and your "performance" during the mission. 

Edited by Luminesca

I haven't seen any. But the fact someone gets stuck on a threat and clearly not finding enjoyment getting grouped against farming premades of veteran gold plated players. 
I can hold my own in any district, but it's really sad to see, this game shooting itself in the foot and killing the new blood supposed to keep it alive.

if you can hold your own in any district then why are you a bronze district resident

Once again, I'd like to state that gutting the matchmaking system and making it fully open, no TL taken into account, would be my solution for this. The playerbase is just too small at the moment and TL has caused so many headaches throughout APB's history - just scrap the lot and generally most players will probably have enough equal matches to make it worth it. Also reduces a ton of toxicity regarding TL being a perception of worth.

• Like 2

Even if we had ten times the population it would make no difference so long as matchmaking only has a 40v40 pool to draw from. This is made even worse by both premade groups and players who are in district but do not ready up. 

• Like 1

>Joined Jul 2012

>bronze district resident

how

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

if you can hold your own in any district then why are you a bronze district resident

Actually I'm not, sounded good in my head as a thread title. 
I play in all districts, sometimes I'm up for improving and having sweaty games, sometimes I just wanna relax and not be bothered about mission outcomes. 

Bronze districts are supposedly the first experience for new players, and with current state it's more like main reason why game is not gaining population. 

7 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

There is no way. Playing against better people makes you improve... there is no way.

Absolutely, agreed. Which is why we have open districts, but having coordinated team against you, while your doing your best to not feed and  while your own team is finding nemo is not fun and kills enjoyment.

22 minutes ago, Luminesca said:

You gain and lose threat based on score and your "performance" during the mission. 

iirc APB uses a bayesian modified version of the glicko rating system, the formula for which is pictured here

9VQQ2RF.png

Edited by CookiePuss

2 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

There is no way. Playing against better people makes you improve... there is no way.

Individual skill ceilings are real things, though. You can learn a lot through time played and by watching and playing against other, better players, true, but some things can't be learned or easily improved. I've been playing since RTW closed beta so I've got a pretty good handle on the maps, tactics and weaponry in the game and can drive well under pressure but my aim is subpar - this is something that's been a constant across all my years of gaming and I've finally reached a state where I've realised I'm not going to get much better, especially as I get older. I'm nowhere near as good a shot compared to when I was a teenager, for example.

I'm sure this applies to a lot of people too. Remember that not every gamer has the time, dedication or the reflexes to be a tactical aiming god. A game is only profitable and retains an audience for as long as the majority of the players have a consistently fun experience - and there's nothing fun about getting stomped. It's hard to learn anything from being completely dominated, too.

• Like 2

You registered on these forums 6 years ago and you still can't win like 35% of the time?

2 minutes ago, niblyv said:

You registered on these forums 6 years ago and you still can't win like 35% of the time?

I'm mostly solo, so winning is not up to me but rather RNG of which team I end up with. APB is team based game, so individual skill does not play that big part. 
Nice try though.

I'm mostly solo, so winning is not up to me but rather RNG of which team I end up with. APB is team based game, so individual skill does not play that big part. 
Nice try though.

I dunno, I am exclusively a solo player,  and yet I still manage to win around 60% of my matches. Silver district only.

8 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I dunno, I am exclusively a solo player,  and yet I still manage to win around 60% of my matches. Silver district only.

Damn, 60% u must be gud.
Let's stay on topic, my skill or lack of has nothing to do with topic.

We'll see if u keep that 60% up with BE here.

Edited by Luminesca

29 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

iirc APB uses a bayesian modified version of the glicko rating system, the formula for which is pictured here

O___________O

A5uMjKC.gif

Sign in to follow this