MattScott

IMPORTANT: Releasing unused character and clan names

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Weirdest thing I've read on the forums in quite some time. 

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

To play a game just because of your name in the game? 

ffO6YlX.png

If that WAS the case, just give yourself the name in another game.

GG EZ

There is a reason why name hoarding is a thing in every game, including APB. I have pretty much done everything there is to APB, max rank, max roles, designing, etc. Once my friends are gone and if I lose my name, I see no point in continuing to play APB.

2 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I have backup names, so I'd ultimately just switch to one of them. It'd still suck to lose my current one though. Course, I'm also not worried. My name is unusual enough that it's highly unlikely someone else has it. There's also the part where my account is ancient, so would take priority over just about everyone else regardless.

It's actually quite normal.

Sadly I joined APB in 2014 and my name is held by a person on Jericho who may, or may not, have more gameplay hours than me, but they have not been active besides the rare once a year moment. My September's worth of gameplay hours beats their gameplay hours in the past 2 years. Is it fair to give my name to this very inactive player who will probably never touch APB again? Lets see what LO does with names. I am somewhat hopeful that they will do the right thing and base their decision on who has contributed the most recently like recent gameplay hours and g1c purchases.

13 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Weirdest thing I've read on the forums in quite some time. 

haha same here ... playing a game just because of your Name

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, a Pair of Socks said:

not with the coming change... I thought that was the coming change; no more region lock

Whats the point of even playing anymore then LOL

Well, they will do, but so far it's preparations, just clock on the link matt posted in the OP.

It's still strange, because matt said they want to avoid character collision, which I am pretty curious about I got 3x LilyV3 so I don't know how this will not cause name collisions at all, except they do some tricky stuff that WoW did where every char gets some -Servername Attachement. But I don't see this coming or working. So I guess the oldest char will win again. And the others get a name change.

Edited by LilyV3

since people have the same nickname on Jericho and Citadel, can't they add a prefix like Player (EU) | Player (NA) so people can know which one they are and both keep the name

On 9/25/2019 at 8:45 PM, MrM0dZ said:

since people have the same nickname on Jericho and Citadel, can't they add a prefix like Player (EU) | Player (NA) so people can know which one they are and both keep the name

That's too easy. Gotta play the long hard game and screw over the old time players.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:47 AM, LilyV3 said:

Well, they will do, but so far it's preparations, just clock on the link matt posted in the OP.

It's still strange, because matt said they want to avoid character collision, which I am pretty curious about I got 3x LilyV3 so I don't know how this will not cause name collisions at all, except they do some tricky stuff that WoW did where every char gets some -Servername Attachement. But I don't see this coming or working. So I guess the oldest char will win again. And the others get a name change.

with an id number for each and every character on apb , it would be possible to not lose names

however then the problem of someone pretending to be you could happen unless further names identical were stopped from being created

but even then it could still be problems by switching out an I for an L ( lowercased )

14 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

with an id number for each and every character on apb , it would be possible to not lose names

however then the problem of someone pretending to be you could happen unless further names identical were stopped from being created

but even then it could still be problems by switching out an I for an L ( lowercased )

well if names aren't ID's how would oen /w NAME if 2 of the same people are online? it's mostly the whole chat and console commands that are important why names are the ID's + also messing up with proeple recognising each other.

Thats why I think one or 2 blanks so people could have fore and surenames would be cool. Much more namespace for unique names.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, MrM0dZ said:

this is an interesting idea when it is possible to create a main (Central , world server) with the possibility of joining from all secondary servers .  fantastic dreams .

14 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

That's too easy. Gotta play the long hard game and screw over the old time players.

thats not about being easy.  I can imagine that adding stuff like ( ) would mean many side effects in the code if it was never properly implemented to contain such characters. And with all the custom code APB got additionally it could be a huge effort from technical side to make this happen.

34 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

well if names aren't ID's how would oen /w NAME if 2 of the same people are online? it's mostly the whole chat and console commands that are important why names are the ID's + also messing up with proeple recognising each other.

Thats why I think one or 2 blanks so people could have fore and surenames would be cool. Much more namespace for unique names.

there's ways to revamp that to where it would recognize.

I cant think of the correct terms at the moment but some online games do similar to this.

remember though , I m not saying it is a good idea but merely saying there are ways.

1 minute ago, Fortune Runner said:

there's ways to revamp that to where it would recognize.

I cant think of the correct terms at the moment but some online games do similar to this.

remember though , I m not saying it is a good idea but merely saying there are ways.

In those games it was surely implemented properly from the beginning to work. In APB, not sure, maybe it is, maybe not.

54 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

In those games it was surely implemented properly from the beginning to work. In APB, not sure, maybe it is, maybe not.

exactly this

thats why it would take a revamp/rework of that.

I doubt its something possible for that big of deal to be made now but in the future it would be a necessity due to 8 billion people in the world and a lot of the same names

Now how does one actually confirm a certain name is free before purchasing?

I don't want to buy a name change for my alt char just to see "name already taken" and be forced to use something I don't want to use.

12 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Now how does one actually confirm a certain name is free before purchasing?

I don't want to buy a name change for my alt char just to see "name already taken" and be forced to use something I don't want to use.

I would LOVE to see something like.. you write the name and then click on Check Avaiability or some sort of similar process, and the game will tell you if it's avaiable or not.

Then, after that, if you press Continue/Enter, another confirmation messagge will appear with the following text: Are you sure to change your actual character name with *NewName* ? Yes/No

if you choose yes you will change it, if you choose no it will come back to the section where you can choose again the name.

Hi all,

After a couple weeks of investigation, we're changing strategies on this effort. 
I'll be posting separately on the reasons, the new timeline and the approach.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 5