Lixil

Message from Matt Blog Post for August

7 hours ago, neophobia said:

what about sending them a message at the mailbox? sorry if you already tried that

or just... creating a new character

IIRC you can send mails to whatever you enter, doesn't matter if the character exists or not.

Creating a new character... now how do I do that with all my slots being used.

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

IIRC you can send mails to whatever you enter, doesn't matter if the character exists or not.

well... there' still the option to create a new account for that... don't know if that's allowed or like a grey area..
or ask a trusted friend with an open slot to try out names...

anyway, I wish they'd bring back gifting... would solve your problem and be benefitial for the community overall...

Edited by Snubnose
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

is multiaccounting allowed? xd

under g1 it wasn't because of exploited redeem codes and ban evasion buuut...

or you just ask a friend who still has slots left :)))

13 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

well... there' still the option to create a new account for that... don't know if that's allowed or like a grey area..
or ask a trusted friend with an open slot to try out names...

anyway, I wish they'd bring back gifting... would solve your problem and be benefitial for the community overall...

whoops, you were faster, didnt see.

4 hours ago, Kempington said:

This is being moved to little orbit's official twitch channel and will not be done on mine.

https://twitch.tv/littleorbit

it's the right thing to do . very correct changes .

Edited by olo

@MattScott Thanks for the update on the name changes - When you state October 2nd, is there a specific time zone or just time in general when these names will become available?

"So if you want to keep your name, all you have to do is log that character in, and you'll be fine."

Logging in with any character won't secure all names on that account, then?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Cashpoint said:

@MattScott Thanks for the update on the name changes - When you state October 2nd, is there a specific time zone or just time in general when these names will become available?

After maintenance... it's not like they swing a magic stick and the names free up.

14 hours ago, neophobia said:

is multiaccounting allowed? xd

under g1 it wasn't because of exploited redeem codes and ban evasion buuut...

or you just ask a friend who still has slots left :)))

whoops, you were faster, didnt see.

Having multi accounts was fine then and is now. The Tiggs Box fiasco was players just being goofy. Some created hundreds and hundreds of new accounts that day.

As for ban evasion... old G1, just like LO now, reserved the right to prevent anyone banned from ever playing again. Though for the most part, you are free to reroll and play legit. 

Pretty stupid to wipe char names of people who haven't logged in for a year, I can already feel the shitstorm that will follow it. It makes more sense to wipe char names of people that haven't logged in over 3-4 years. But then again you guys are the best at making the wrong decision and never keeping to time with anything you do.

I just hope the engine update is not a failure considering all the time and delays there has been to it. I also don't feel the 1 month notice is enough if you are going to wipe people who have been inactive for 1 year, If it was for 3-4 years it wouldn't matter much but that's just my opinion.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:52 AM, cheater said:

But Kempington say he quit APB, What the fudge? !?!?! O_o

Special treatment, Nothing against Kempington great guy but it's all it is. Same as how they are more active on the unofficial discord compared to the forums and a lot of the people from there seemed to be in SPCT and GM positions.

Edited by Nev
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nev said:

Pretty stupid to wipe char names of people who haven't logged in for more than a year, I can already feel the shitstorm that will follow it. It makes more sense to wipe char names of people that haven't logged in over 3-4 years. But then again you guys are the best at making the wrong decision and never keeping to time with anything you do.

I just hope the engine update is not a failure considering all the time and delays there has been to it.

1 year is more than enough for a fresh start

On 8/31/2019 at 1:41 PM, CookiePuss said:

Having multi accounts was fine then and is now. The Tiggs Box fiasco was players just being goofy. Some created hundreds and hundreds of new accounts that day.

As for ban evasion... old G1, just like LO now, reserved the right to prevent anyone banned from ever playing again. Though for the most part, you are free to reroll and play legit. 

fair enough

but ye rerolling definitely wasn't endorsed xd they did have a rule about ban evasion, i just wasn't sure about LO

23 hours ago, Nev said:

Special treatment, Nothing against Kempington great guy but it's all it is. Same as how they are more active on the unofficial discord compared to the forums and a lot of the people from there seemed to be in SPCT and GM positions.

they mostly took active old players that seem reasonable enough. should they have taken more random people?

also kemp didn't do anything wrong, prove as a bad person or whatever (edit: i guess he wasn't too nice in some of his streams. nvm.) so it makes sense they stick to him since the first q&a was quite successful, even now that he quit (for now).

doesn't seem like special treatment to me.

Edited by neophobia

@MattScott or @Lixil, when you say "...to keep adding new variants until we're completely done with the Weapon Balance", do you mean until you have finished balancing a handful of guns planned for this weapon balance pass or do you mean every single other gun in the game that you haven't touched at all yet?

Kinda weird to do the name wipe before the merge tbh. I imagine a lot more names are going to be conflicted with the merge if names are wiped on both servers before merging.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:00 PM, neophobia said:

fair enough

but ye rerolling definitely wasn't endorsed xd they did have a rule about ban evasion, i just wasn't sure about LO

they mostly took active old players that seem reasonable enough. should they have taken more random people?

also kemp didn't do anything wrong, prove as a bad person or whatever so it makes sense they stick to him since the first q&a was quite successful, even now that he quit (for now).

doesn't seem like special treatment to me.

The way he comes out on his own stream by treating players in a bad manner on top of not looking like he enjoys the game most of the time is not someone I would want to advertise if I owned a game. I don't feel like he represents the APB community as a single person and the company should do stuff like this on their own and interact with the community directly rather than a 3rd person. But like I said nothing against Kempington I just feel that Little Orbit should do stuff on their own and communicate with us direct rather than an unofficial discord and 3rd party people.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have another Sovereign situation with the way things are going.

Post edited with author's consent.   - Mina_

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:01 PM, Nev said:

treating players in a bad manner on top of not looking like he enjoys the game

I don't feel like he represents the APB community 

idk this sounds like peak apb tbh

another Sovereign situation

the meme lives on 

The way he comes out on his own stream by treating players in a bad manner on top of not looking like he enjoys the game most of the time is not someone I would want to advertise if I owned a game. I don't feel like he represents the APB community as a single person and the company should do stuff like this on their own and interact with the community directly rather than a 3rd person. But like I said nothing against Kempington I just feel that Little Orbit should do stuff on their own and communicate with us direct rather than an unofficial discord and 3rd party people.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have another Sovereign situation with the way things are going.

sorry, never watched any of his streams apart from the q&a, only read the forums and there has barely been any criticism - if any - here and you yourself said "great guy" lul. guess that changes stuff.

the feedback was pretty good regarding the q&a though. of course, as you said, he does not represent the whole community. idk i guess they could just collect the questions and immediately answer them themselves... i do think this seems a bit more personal though. and he is/was the biggest apb streamer lately.

i think LO is taking action if any of their volunteers steps out of line though - i've only seen 2 cases of that though (in which LO both acted appropriately)

if he is that toxic though... hmm.

13 hours ago, neophobia said:

sorry, never watched any of his streams apart from the q&a, only read the forums and there has barely been any criticism - if any - here and you yourself said "great guy" lul. guess that changes stuff.

the feedback was pretty good regarding the q&a though. of course, as you said, he does not represent the whole community. idk i guess they could just collect the questions and immediately answer them themselves... i do think this seems a bit more personal though. and he is/was the biggest apb streamer lately.

i think LO is taking action if any of their volunteers steps out of line though - i've only seen 2 cases of that though (in which LO both acted appropriately)

if he is that toxic though... hmm.

Anytime a game developer picks winners and losers when it comes to those who stream the game, people are going to be upset. Doubly so if the streamers chosen are the ones quitting and streaming other things. 

And yeah, of you've ever seen his stream, he is not a friendly or kind fellah while in game. 

Edited by CookiePuss

The urge to return is strong for me but im not coming back till i get that engine upgrade. We've waited too long... im taking a stand. Not that anyone misses my opgl lol. On the bright side, if the engine upgrade fixes performance, ill come back with guns and not explosives 🙂

On 8/31/2019 at 7:53 AM, Nev said:

Pretty stupid to wipe char names of people who haven't logged in for a year, I can already feel the shitstorm that will follow it. It makes more sense to wipe char names of people that haven't logged in over 3-4 years. But then again you guys are the best at making the wrong decision and never keeping to time with anything you do.

I just hope the engine update is not a failure considering all the time and delays there has been to it. I also don't feel the 1 month notice is enough if you are going to wipe people who have been inactive for 1 year, If it was for 3-4 years it wouldn't matter much but that's just my opinion.

I think it is pretty stupid to cater to people who no longer support the game. All a person needs to do is simply log into the game once before the deadline and they get to retain the name. If a person can't be bothered to log in once then they deserve to lose the name.

What bothers me is the lack of information regarding names. Who gets priority for a name if both characters are 255? Does the person who created the name first get priority? Does the person who has the most gameplay hours get priority? Does the person who has the most recent gameplay hours get priority? Does the person who spent the most g1c get priority? @MattScott You need to list the requirements for name priority. I don't want to spend an egregious amount of hours and g1c for a name if I cannot retain the name.

There are still lots of bugs, but SPCT should start testing and benchmarking the new PC build the week of 9/2

At this point I haven't seen enough testing to have a realistic OTW Beta date, but I'll update the community as soon as I know

So they start testing tomorrow.How they gonna work?Like every SPCT have certain part of the maps to check for bugs or how(just curious)

Edited by TheMessiah

11 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

So they start testing tomorrow.How they gonna work?Like every SPCT have certain part of the maps to check for bugs or how(just curious)

That's just the testing of the latest build, and we get builds pretty regularly from the LO team.

Things work probably a lot like people imagine... that is, with each build we are told what LO needs checked out and we do so.

In between these periods where there may be more specific direction on what to test (again much as you'd expect) we just try to find any issues that may have been overlooked.

1 hour ago, ForumUser said:

I think it is pretty stupid to cater to people who no longer support the game. All a person needs to do is simply log into the game once before the deadline and they get to retain the name. If a person can't be bothered to log in once then they deserve to lose the name.

What bothers me is the lack of information regarding names. Who gets priority for a name if both characters are 255? Does the person who created the name first get priority? Does the person who has the most gameplay hours get priority? Does the person who has the most recent gameplay hours get priority? Does the person who spent the most g1c get priority? @MattScott You need to list the requirements for name priority. I don't want to spend an egregious amount of hours and g1c for a name if I cannot retain the name.

They might be just waiting for the engine update like most players who have supported this game for a long time.  The 1 month is not enough notice for someone that has been inactive for a year exactly. They could be on holiday or whatever, You can't just make a announcement and tell them to stop whatever they are doing to login during the month notice. Not to mention the fact that APB has always maintained that they wouldn't do name wipes in the past so these guys probably have no idea about the fact that it's happening if they are away.

3 hours ago, Nev said:

They might be just waiting for the engine update like most players who have supported this game for a long time.  The 1 month is not enough notice for someone that has been inactive for a year exactly. They could be on holiday or whatever, You can't just make a announcement and tell them to stop whatever they are doing to login during the month notice. Not to mention the fact that APB has always maintained that they wouldn't do name wipes in the past so these guys probably have no idea about the fact that it's happening if they are away.

We shall see how many players stay after the engine upgrade.

How much of an advanced notice does one need to log in the game once? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? If you ask any reasonable person, 1 month is plenty of time for a person to log in a video game and log out. Most of the games that I have played don't even give a months notice for name wipes. The holiday or whatever excuse only falls under a very small minority, if any.

As for the last statement, that is not a valid excuse to not be connected to the game in some form, whether it would be through social media or friends. It is not LO's fault for wanting to improve the game for its current playerbase. A company should not base their decisions on players who can't be bothered to check up on the game once in awhile. It is similar to how the law works. Being ignorant to the laws does not excuse one from the consequences of said law.