MattScott

APB Brand and IP expanding in Asia

From my understanding of what i read. LO kept the right to APB Reloaded but if you guys want to make another game or new game you can´t because you sold the brand and the IP --> "We sold the APB Brand and IP to Unit Game, but retained all rights related to APB Reloaded.", you should have allowed Unit Game to sell APB Brand and APB IP related products not the other way around. 

2 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

I don't know how I feel about this. 

Excited yet terrified. 

This means you have no control over the sequel and will just develop APB: Reloaded as much as possible?

Yep i also think this is not a good ideia.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MattScott said:

The CEO of Unit Game said, “For years, I have been an avid player and fan inside the immersive world of APB...

So he has known APB for years, and he still decided to invest?

TPeByoF.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MattScott said:

We sold the APB Brand and IP to Unit Game, but retained all rights related to APB Reloaded. 

Does this mean that LO is now Unit Game's licensee rather than the other way round? If so that's quite a major turn of events, I'd say

3 minutes ago, Osprey22 said:

I'm confused but seems like it's good for APB Reloaded

From my understanding APB Reloaded is unchanged - but LO got a nice check out of it 😜 that they'll hopefully invest in APB

• Like 1

I am a little bit scared by this decision, not gonna lie...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Damn y'all was hemorrhaging money that bad you sold the games' entire IP? Holy shite.

Talk about putting all your eggs into the APB:R basket... hope it works out. For all of us.

• Like 1

What I don't get is the point of selling the brand.. why not just license it for UNIT GAMES? They would've been able to make a APB title while LO holds the rights. 

• Like 1

Just now, Basih said:

What I don't get is the point of selling the brand.. why not just license it for UNIT GAMES? They would've been able to make a APB title while LO holds the rights. 

The difference is they got potentially a far larger check upfront. Money they needed to invest in this money pit of a game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ohshii said:

The difference is they got potentially a far larger check upfront. Money they needed to invest in this money pit of a game.

and Unsung
and Descent

LO keeps busy!

This is interesting deal. PC version will get updates and all that but soon next-gen consoles are coming. How long LO will update current-gen console version of APB?

I can already feel the over monetization and season passes for the new APB and how at its core is a game made for the Asian market and not for the global market.

It was fun while it lasted fellas. 

• Like 1

Due to a lot of misunderstanding and misinterpretation it felt necessary for me to do a quick writeup of what is currently happening. I will dump information in the format of a Q&A.
(a chunk of this is admittedly just paraphrasing - will add more later if it becomes relevant)

Does this mean Little Orbit will no longer develop APB?
No. The sale concerns the APB franchise, but Little Orbit is still able to develop APB: Reloaded as they please.

Does UNIT GAME decide what goes into APB: Reloaded?
No. UNIT GAME has no creative control over APB: Reloaded.

Does this sale come with new faces or people controlling the direction of the game?
No. There will be no change in management or anything that the players would be impacted by.

Does this give APB less of a life time?
Little Orbit can run APB Reloaded indefinitely and still control all their own social media and web presence through GamersFirst.com. They dont have to do any content approvals with the new owners either.

In short:
What was sold was the rights to all future APB titles (the brand itself). Nothing current was sold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This snowball is going to roll all over again.. and again, and again. I can't see where it's gonna be sucessful whatsoever they will make it PUBG Mobile V2 but who am I to judge, donating money but nothing's change.

So APB2 (UE4) is shelved, permanently? In other words sold to Unit Game and morphed into a future mobile release by them?

12 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

So APB2 (UE4) is shelved, permanently? In other words sold to Unit Game and morphed into a future mobile release by them?

edit: I thought apb2 was the engine upgrade but apparently its not. Im not sure what ue4 is.

What? Where does it say that? They are still doing the engine upgrade. It was just costing too much money that they did not have or were cutting it close so they sold a past of it. Now another company is gonna make a cell phone version, which Im sure is going to be a crappy 2d look down game. But LO made money so they can continue with apb on pc and crap consoles.

Edited by killerskull

10 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Very unlikely.  Its more just put on a back burner so LO can figure out and finalize the rest of 3.5.  If anything a UE4 port would still be planned.

13 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

I assume they'd just update APB Reloaded to the new engine and assets once it's ready, just like the current engine upgrade

Not sure how to feel about this. Doesn't seem like Unit Game is a big company or anything, did they pay with some communist dollars or something? Either way i hope the deal was worth it.

God damn it Matt, this is the 2nd time you almost gave me a heart attack.  Nice to hear you got some good funding out of it and aren't gonna be running out of money anytime soon though.  I can't help but be worried for the future of the franchise though.  Is this new mobile game gonna be another thing like APB Retribution?  Are you guys going to be able to work on a new APB title down the line after Reloaded is gone?

2 minutes ago, Ignas / qsn said:

it would be pretty dumb to release an engine upgrade to APB:Reloaded with bunch new items just to later ditch it for another game.

Unless APB2 is the name of a mobile version

APB2 was what Matt called the UE4 upgrade.

• Like 1

So in other way this deal just give up rights to any future APB tiltes or APB related games and part of that deal was that APB: Reloaded is the only game you have rights on, rn. ?

Very risky. And the fact that this company is... well litteraly first time I hear about them nor could find any info on net, which is worrisome. But I guess there was no other way (I smell you all were in financial trouble after all)...

I just hope you know what you doing, Matt. There were many deals like that in gaming industry and most of them ended up with seller being royal fucked by buyer.

I just hope it doesn't end with APB Reloaded slowly being killed off and making it some weak APB mobile port... cause it smells like it.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 1

I actually expected you to jump ship once you figure out APB is a mess. I was 1/2 wrong:)

As long as people with asian mentality have no say in APB:R I guess it's okay...

And Hong-Kong company? Yikes. In few years Tencent will have share in APB. Winnie the Pooh symbols will be banned.

edit:

https://www.hkcorporationsearch.com/companies/2844609/

and how come company that was just registered 2 months ago bought APB brand? Who's behind it because it looks like a proxy.

Edited by Sayori
  • Thanks 1