Bambola

The APB community, the highs and lows

It's always interesting to see things from the perspective of a new player to APB, whilst reminiscing on our humble beginnings. It's even more interesting seeing how veterans, who are usually pretty much loud on the forums regarding the new players' treatment are dealing with them on their alt accounts in the bronze district. While one group of people are sincerely trying to encourage newcomers to stay, unselfishly sharing items and tips, the other group, after a lot of stream-sniping and preying upon newbies, has an unusual way to welcome them, to put it politely.

Help me learn the game

The way this community conducts itself shares the equal part of the responsibility for the current state of the game as various technical problems and poor management this game has/had in the past, if not larger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched the stream video, pretty messed up. I try to do my part by grouping with people who aren't as good, and anyone I come across I give advice on how to handle gunfights. I'm restricted to silver district only, so anyone in bronze is pretty much subject to what we saw in the video. I mean, unless I re rolled with a brand new account to help out the new guys. Anyways I agree with what you're saying, it'd be nice if LO could respond with some insight on how we could fix it, because it's a real issue. We're handicapping potential population by not trying to do anything at all. Good post. 

Step 1. Go to bronze District

Step 2. Destroy Greens and Bronzes

Step 3. Hit silver

Step 4. Go to Silver district

Step 5. Get destroyed and whine

Step 6. Go back to Bronze district

Step 7. Destroy Greens and Bronzes again

Step 8. Get opp better than you

Step 9. Complain then rage quit

• Thanks 1

decent aim if he put more time into it but needs to use cover more. and to regen health before pushing.

Edited by Aeronaut

Disgusting, something need to be done about this.

It amazes me that people still bother to complain about this. It's well established that Little Orbit isn't going to actually do anything about it until after the engine upgrade per the own statements on the matter. This is part of why it's so much worse now than it was before, people know there won't be any punishment for their actions.

24 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

This is part of why it's so much worse now than it was before, people know there won't be any punishment for their actions.

It's always been this bad ever since I joined this game late 2013.

2 minutes ago, Haganu said:

It's always been this bad ever since I joined this game late 2013.

It really hasn't, but you keep thinking that.

In my opinion, the offending players should be permabanned (or at the very least given a lengthy tempban).

Before someone goes out and asks if this is not too heavy-handed of a punishment - no. This kind of behavior (deliberately streamsniping new players who just want to learn the game) is deliberate, malicious and detrimental to the community. They went out of their way to deliberately stomp a new player and give them no fighting chance for nothing but their juvenile enjoyment.

This is textbook bullying, no matter how you look at it. Bullying new players is not how you draw attention to the game for a potential playerbase.

Edited by MartinPL
Reworded the last sentence.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

These sort of people are the worst scum in the game, far beyond cheaters and other stuff. The punishment needs to be more severe. Sadly we've been asking for it so many times over the years without a major step forward.

I'd agree with martin here on a very lengthy ban, preferably permanent. I don't think this is appropriate for every de-threater but this example is just loath worthy.

Edited by VanilleKeks

the apb community is so clueless it literally blows my mind

what Zombiebiscuit posted:

Step 1. Go to bronze District

Step 2. Destroy Greens and Bronzes

Step 3. Hit silver

Step 4. Go to Silver district

Step 5. Get destroyed and whine

Step 6. Go back to Bronze district

Step 7. Destroy Greens and Bronzes again

Step 8. Get opp better than you

Step 9. Complain then rage quit

was what the guy was doing

guy deserved it, new players actually get the help they need when they arent assholes. refer to @Asu

@claude youre about 4 years out of meta buddy

Edited by Thaumaturge
  • Like 1

Oh look, it's the bronze district folks defending themselves with more bs.

Maybe everyone should just go back to blaming each other until some new form of matchmaking is introduced, because these arguments are even more ridiculous than the golds in silver one.

You missed the part where he tbags some  guy at 01:01:30 No reason at all. Just  being edgy ...hole

So I guess he got what he deserved 🙂 No sympathies whatsoever

Edited by Sayori

1 minute ago, Sayori said:

You missed the part where he tbags some  guy at 01:01:30 No reason at all. Just  being edgy ...hole

So I guess he got what he deserved 🙂

i was called out for being edgy...for no reason at all.

🙄

5 minutes ago, Sayori said:

So I guess he got what he deserved 🙂 No sympathies whatsoever

I just skimmed over the footage (no way I'm going to sit here for two hours and watch someone else play a video game), and I was prepared to sympathize with the op.  But then I saw that teabag.  Nah.  OP has no room to talk about how the community conducts itself.

With all due respect, EVERYBODY who streams APB gets stream sniped. I dont care if youre a nobody or Summit, everyone gets stream sniped in APB. If you want to learn the game, don't do it on stream. Lesson learned.

I'm not about to cater to or rub the back of a new guy who t-bags, talks trash, acts cocky by saying his opp isn't good while getting beat up, and then rage quits. He got carried by a smurf and had this salty look on his face the entire video all the while non-stop complaining. With all due respect, the only people catering to this video are silvers who need something/someone to blame for when they get rolled on in missions.

If you want to get good at APB, you have to put in work and get good. If you magically expect to pick the game up and just beat everyone up and be god-tier, you're an honest to god moron. Look at Summit. His aim is better than most players in this game. yet when he plays and doesnt get griefed, he STILL SUCKS. You know why? He refuses to learn the maps, missions, guns, mechanics or anything else. He just ASSUMES he's gonna be #1 cus he has good aim in OTHER GAMES.

Again, with all due respect, the streamer alt-f4'd and I hope he doesn't ever come back. And if he does, he better stick to the bronze district off stream and show a little more respect to the game, or he's gonna be in some more huge disappointing patootie beatings. 

Gold player out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ohshii said:

With all due respect, EVERYBODY who streams APB gets stream sniped. I dont care if youre a nobody or Summit, everyone gets stream sniped in APB. If you want to learn the game, don't do it on stream. Lesson learned.

I'm not about to cater to or rub the back of a new guy who t-bags, talks trash, acts cocky by saying his opp isn't good while getting beat up, and then rage quits. He got carried by a smurf and had this salty look on his face the entire video all the while non-stop complaining. With all due respect, the only people catering to this video are silvers who need something/someone to blame for when they get rolled on in missions.

If you want to get good at APB, you have to put in work and get good. If you magically expect to pick the game up and just beat everyone up and be god-tier, you're an honest to god moron. Look at Summit. His aim is better than most players in this game. yet when he plays and doesnt get griefed, he STILL SUCKS. You know why? He refuses to learn the maps, missions, guns, mechanics or anything else. He just ASSUMES he's gonna be #1 cus he has good aim in OTHER GAMES.

Again, with all due respect, the streamer alt-f4'd and I hope he doesn't ever come back. And if he does, he better stick to the bronze district off stream and show a little more respect to the game, or he's gonna be in some more huge disappointing patootie beatings. 

Gold player out.

His smurf friend at 00:19:36 - weapons are p2w, they nerf the old ones and add new  powerful ones. That's how it works.    And that is gold rank 255 player who has played for years 🙂

After that the streamer says he's fps god ...and he's dead serious, not sarcastic.

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

It amazes me that people still bother to complain about this. It's well established that Little Orbit isn't going to actually do anything about it until after the engine upgrade per the own statements on the matter. This is part of why it's so much worse now than it was before, people know there won't be any punishment for their actions.

That's not accurate how you said that.

Little Orbit said how phasing matchmaking and threat are being worked on after the Engine Upgrade because its impossible to do phasing matchmaking and threat now with the current engine

As for dethreaters have you reported them? have others? source?

1 hour ago, Ohshii said:

Gold player out.

no they don't. if you're gonna be a shitty pers, or you have a poor attitude, or you rage you will get streamsniped.

there are some people who will do this off stream frequently, and leaving people that aren't in the know wondering why they get streamsniped.

summit was one of those people who would shittalk people who beat him, off stream, in whisper constantly.

using my personal experience here, at least from the last two years, every time i streamed as a "known" player (prime "streamsniping target", especially with my ego), i've been streamsniped one time.

everything else i agree, this streamer was a shitty pers, got what he deserved. company he kept was moronic at best too.

Edited by Thaumaturge

2 hours ago, Ohshii said:

Gold player out.

'gold player'

And yet again the APB community shows just how pathetic and despicable it is and chases new players away in more than one ways.

I love how there are self-proclaimed "golds" and "veterans" who've written in this thread who are unironically trying to justify what those idiots did to that streamer. I can't tell whether such delusions are funny or sad or somewhere inbetween. You are making up random irrelevant crap to try and justify veterans chasing away new players who haven't had the chance to even spend 10 hours in the game. There is no justification for what they did, for making a new player rage quit.

First of all, I was one of the people in his chat, spending 1-2 hours of free my time to explain the game for him and I saw him quitting live. I've personally written the most detailed up-to-date guide for beginners and certain monkeys are going around undoing all of that to get some attention. You are an idiot if you think that this can somehow be justified. I talk to new players on a daily basis, teaching them how to get into APB and what do you do? You write literal garbage on the forums all day long that legit no one gives a single f*** about and never has and I bet you probably complained about the game having low pop a few times too.

You damage the game directly and you sh*t all over others' time, effort and work for a bit of pathetic attention.

Second of all, some of you seem to be too short-sighted to see the whole point in why this is bad on a larger scale. That person is a streamer twice the size of the average APB streamer and he is also friends with another streamer who is of similar size as our current biggest APB streamer and is even a professional at another game (I am referring to the guy that was playing with him and trying to get him into APB). You can't sh*t out "he was t-bagging therefore he deserved it" unless you are completely inept at seeing the bigger picture. We need new players and more of those will come from streamers who have audiences. If they start bad mouthing APB further right now, right prior to an Engine Upgrade coming up, it's going to deter players as an engine swap does not make the community any more friendly to newbies. When you see this sh*t live on stream or when you hear about it from a friend who's seen it or heard about it, are you going to want to play a game as blatantly toxic as this? You need to understand that in order to get business, the game needs players, ALL PLAYERS. Whether they t-bag, they curse, they act edgy.. ALL OF THAT is IRRELEVANT.

I've been here since 2010 and I always think that the community can't get worse and yet here we are. Good job, you know who you are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New players have and will continue to be drawn away from this game, no matter how much interest they may show in the game. The only thing we can truly blame is the community, unfortunately. The amount of times I've tried to get my friends into the game (and failed) has really put that perspective in my mind. So imho, APB is doomed unless the community changes (and the only way it can change is by punishing for toxicity). The people shown in this video were clearly reroll accounts with probably a (couple) thousand hours in the game, just looking to bully someone new for attention. I will never be able to understand why people think it's a good idea to bully new players (sometimes, I let new players kill me or get wins against me just to avoid 'bullying them when the matchmaking puts me against them)...like if this continues, the game will continue to have a low pop (look at Jericho!!!).

Edited by Goldtiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ultimate reality is that regardless of community actions, the real problem is that Little Orbit isn't doing anything on their end. Fun fact that everyone seems to constantly ignore: It's up to the game's host company to moderate the community, because any community left to its own devices (especially when PvP is involved) is going to devolve into a cesspit due to a lack of any repercussions for negative behavior.

Exhibit A of a bad community:  This thread and the arguing therein. 

I don't think anyone is justifying the stream sniping or whatever was going on.  I know I wasn't.  I was just pointing out the OP's hypocrisy.  We gamers are just terrible people.  ~shrug~

Edited by Lammashta

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

The ultimate reality is that regardless of community actions, the real problem is that Little Orbit isn't doing anything on their end. Fun fact that everyone seems to constantly ignore: It's up to the game's host company to moderate the community, because any community left to its own devices (especially when PvP is involved) is going to devolve into a cesspit due to a lack of any repercussions for negative behavior.

This pretty much, I mean why are people surprised? There are people out there in real life that murder and steal. Some people are shouting at each other over the internet? What terrible terrible humans.

This game is unique and that's cool, but it does not have the standards that most people have come to expect. CSGO doesn't allow enemies to converse with each other anymore in competitive matches. If I'm thinking correctly, most mainstream competitive-based games do not allow you to talk to the enemy players. But even if you were able to, most matches would end and you would most likely never see that person again. So, if you were getting into it with your opponent verbally, it gives you time to cool down and reset.

The animosity that breeds in this game settles and sticks with people because the players that sh*t talk each other don't get to sit in their respective corners and drink from their sippy cups while their opponent vanishes from existence after a match ends.