chapeauviande77

Deployable Shield

Talking about deployable shields, wish you could wield them in 1 hand while shooting with your secondary. Aside from deploying it into the ground for a cover.

28 minutes ago, GhosT said:

IIRC you joined APB after consumables were already added, right?

I can see why it feels like it's a stupid idea to change something that's in your case "always been there".

But when consumables arrived, they quickly changed the meta for the worse.

Everyone unequipped field supplier and vehicle ammo mods and started maining ammo boxes.

In the beginning people actually went and bought the medium ammo box in the joker store because you couldn't rack up as many as you can now, so that meta developed really fast.

Before that, grenades were more valueable and you made them count. Also, your loadout (especially as a team) weighted much more.

With the pre-nerf ammo boxes, you could just play whatever, constantly spam nades and switch guns depending on your position/stage.

Those and mobile cover really changed the meta. The cover was intended to reinforce a position, yet all it did was create a mini fortnite panic button you smash when you get shot from anywhere.

As of now I think you can only supply 4 grenades total from a box regardless of how many people are resupplying from it. 

Also, "it's always been this way" would be just as bad of an argument as "it didn't used to be this way". For me, I don't like how it has changed my gameplay experience. But again, just an opinion.

Though either way, I don't think whatever decision is made on consumables will make or break the game.

As for mobile cover, nearly everyone I know are all in favor of at least a delay in deployment, if not also a nerf to shield HP. 

Edited by CookiePuss

14 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

As of now I think you can only supply 4 grenades total from a box regardless of how many people are resupplying from it. 

Also, "it's always been this way" would be just as bad of an argument as "it didn't used to be this way". For me, I don't like how it has changed my gameplay experience. But again, just an opinion.

Though either way, I don't think whatever decision is made on consumables will make or break the game.

The grenade thing sounds good. Should hopefully adjust the endless low yield spam.

Well, for me, I didn't like how the consumables affected my gameplay experience, and am glad that we get a little more balance and previously forgotten mods now have a place again.

And yeah, you are right, while consumables are/were an issue, they definitely aren't as heavy as some other issues the game has.

4 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Talking about deployable shields, wish you could wield them in 1 hand while shooting with your secondary. Aside from deploying it into the ground for a cover.

that would be a riot shield not a deployable shield then.

similar but diffrent

5 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

54 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

that would be a riot shield not a deployable shield then. similar but diffrent

Could be interesting to see such a thing added, although I would rather see it as a primary weapon. Basically prevents the current "panic button" balance issue that Mobile Cover suffers, while allowing it to also be stronger than it would be as a consumable since you're sacrificing your primary weapon for it.

Could even have the mods you slot into it instead apply to the secondary weapon, giving us the moddable secondaries we've always toyed with the concept of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Could be interesting to see such a thing added, although I would rather see it as a primary weapon. Basically prevents the current "panic button" balance issue that Mobile Cover suffers, while allowing it to also be stronger than it would be as a consumable since you're sacrificing your primary weapon for it.

Could even have the mods you slot into it instead apply to the secondary weapon, giving us the moddable secondaries we've always toyed with the concept of.

if a riot shield was added it would have to take place of the primary since only a secondary could be used with it.

we already have tanky vehicles but a riot shield tank would make a good counter to a corner shotgun fanatic.

Edited by Fortune Runner

13 hours ago, Hexerin said:

That would totally work, I could see it working agaisnt the Nfas pretty good.

16 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

would make a good counter to a corner shotgun fanatic.

3 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

I could see it working agaisnt the Nfas pretty good.

Pretty much along the lines of what you'd want it for yea. Would be exceptional during sieges to help the main party push forward while the OPGL/EOL saturation is being brought down.

4 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

That would totally work, I could see it working agaisnt the Nfas pretty good.

Sounds game breaking. 

Would certainly make all shotguns worthless, since even if part of the hitbox is exposed, you'd be lucky to hit more than 1-2 pellets at best. 

Hard pass. 

59 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Sounds game breaking. 

Would certainly make all shotguns worthless, since even if part of the hitbox is exposed, you'd be lucky to hit more than 1-2 pellets at best. 

Hard pass. 

are you factoring in health and grenades ?

if done properly it can change the game without breaking it and add a new strategy style instead.

Edit : assuming that some day they can organize our gear to be easier to find by sorting and/or favorites , it would be easy to switch to percs to annoy those riot shield holders then.

Edited by Fortune Runner

10 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

are you factoring in health and grenades ?

if done properly it can change the game without breaking it and add a new strategy style instead.

Edit : assuming that some day they can organize our gear to be easier to find by sorting and/or favorites , it would be easy to switch to percs to annoy those riot shield holders then.

So long as you remove shotguns completely, have at it. Otherwise in what situation would you choose a shotgun over an SMG?

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

So long as you remove shotguns completely, have at it. Otherwise in what situation would you choose a shotgun over an SMG?

because of preference ?

I'm just asking opinions to figure out if its a good idea or not.

17 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

what exactly sounds appealing about the instant immunity shield pop but now with the ability to fire back?

genuine question 

6 minutes ago, Solamente said:

what exactly sounds appealing about the instant immunity shield pop but now with the ability to fire back?

genuine question 

Small shield plus the ability for certain weapons to pierce it would be interesting.   by certain weapons i mean anything over a certain amount of hard damage or whatever.  Not like San Paro has the budget for quality Riot Shields.

27 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

because of preference ?

You miss the point. 

Behind a riot shield only a sliver of hitbox would be visible. Shotgun pellets fire in a spread. This means no matter your aim, most of your pellets either hit the shield or miss entirely. All other guns are capable of delivering full damage per shot even on a partially exposed hitbox. There would be no reason not to use a riot shield when attacking, and you would effectively remove the defensive niche of shotguns and replace all shotguns scenarios as SMG scenarios. 

Edited by CookiePuss

On 8/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Delet shields

You mean delete every single yellow mod including lo weapon and game changes xD

24 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Behind a riot shield only a sliver of hitbox would be visible.

You're assuming the riot shield would cover the entire character. If anything, it would function like it does in Counterstrike. It would only cover maybe half of the total hitbox, at an angle (with the upper half of the hitbox being the more covered bit, which forces the attacker to control their recoil or waste shots). It also of course only covers from the front, which means the vastly more mobile shotgun user simply maneuvers to the flanks. If all that isn't enough to keep it balanced, could simply impose a movement penalty because it's a big ol' shield.

Adding on to the size of said Riot Shield.  They come in many sizes but for game play balance i think a simple torso sized one would be ideal.  More than enough room to hit someones legs (Shield bottom reaches the thighs at most.) with enough room to hit someone in the head with most rifles (shield top reaches about mid face.).  Only issue there is gender scaling since males/females are entirely different sizes.

Regardless, most Riot Shields leave the legs wide open.  And in APB, no matter where you hit your opponent, its the same amount of damage.

Edited by SkittyM

1 hour ago, SkittyM said:

Only issue there is gender scaling since males/females are entirely different sizes.

Visually, yes. As we all well know the hitboxes are the same for both though.

20 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Visually, yes. As we all well know the hitboxes are the same for both though.

More physically, females being shorter affects the height of things being held such as weapons.  So the hit box not changing doesn't stop the shield from changing unless its animations are fixed at a certain height, which could look weird.

3 hours ago, Solamente said:

genuine question 

2 hours ago, SkittyM said:

Small shield plus the ability for certain weapons to pierce it would be interesting.   by certain weapons i mean anything over a certain amount of hard damage or whatever.  Not like San Paro has the budget for quality Riot Shields.

Skitty answered one of the things I was thinking.

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

You miss the point. 

Behind a riot shield only a sliver of hitbox would be visible. Shotgun pellets fire in a spread. This means no matter your aim, most of your pellets either hit the shield or miss entirely. All other guns are capable of delivering full damage per shot even on a partially exposed hitbox. There would be no reason not to use a riot shield when attacking, and you would effectively remove the defensive niche of shotguns and replace all shotguns scenarios as SMG scenarios. 

If one seeks knowledge one has to ask.

Also who says a riot shield can stop 100% damage ? It has yet to be made and determined....

Edited by Fortune Runner

17 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Sounds game breaking. 

Hard pass. 

Ppl could still shot your legs, and if it makes you move as if you were using Kevlar 3, it wouldn't be that OP, also making that you can't aim with your secondary, so second click would be to cover yourself more with the shield.
But yeah, not like LO is going to make major changes to the game anyways.

13 hours ago, SkittyM said:

Adding on to the size of said Riot Shield.  They come in many sizes but for game play balance i think a simple torso sized one would be ideal.  More than enough room to hit someones legs (Shield bottom reaches the thighs at most.) with enough room to hit someone in the head with most rifles (shield top reaches about mid face.).  Only issue there is gender scaling since males/females are entirely different sizes.

Regardless, most Riot Shields leave the legs wide open.  And in APB, no matter where you hit your opponent, its the same amount of damage.

41 minutes ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Ppl could still shot your legs, and if it makes you move as if you were using Kevlar 3, it wouldn't be that OP, also making that you can't aim with your secondary, so second click would be to cover yourself more with the shield.
But yeah, not like LO is going to make major changes to the game anyways.

I guess the devil is in the details.

Balance might be tricky, but that's true of any new gameplay related content.

Something I've mentioned before :

Small items required you to sit through an animation in ye olde days of RTW (did it even make it to RTW live?)

Why not add the same animation as a spawn delay of sorts for the shield? Force it to be used in preparation of a push, requiring players to think about the moment of its placement, rather than just tapping 4 whenever you start taking fire or you need to block a ladder

EDIT : I suggest this vs just increasing the spawn delay in order to add some vulnerability to deploying the shield.

I don't think the player should be able to engage and maneuver in a firefight while the shield is in the process of winding up - else you end up with the same situation where a shield suddenly covers someone in a firefight, just with a delay.

Edited by Nitronik