Sign in to follow this  
DxpeDog

Restructuring of APB

APB is far behind it's time now. 

Games like GTA:O Exist, even if it is dogshit for everything. 

I Propose a few things. 

1. Rebuild APB:R from the ground up. Carry over all the users and players Stats and Weapons and all of that but rebuild the game to the point that it'll bring people back. Like Final Fantasy XIV did. 
FFXIV was t r a s h when it released. It shut down for a year and a half, was given a new Director and it came back to end up being just as, if not bigger than World of Warcraft. 
Also of Course, update the Engine Entirely to UE4.

2. If APB were to be rebuilt from the ground up, the release of Public Assets to be put through a vote from LO could bring a ton of old players and Designers to the game. 
Imagine new Cars, new modeled weapons, Including Melee Weapons, New clothing all made by the people. Jackets, Long coats, Uniforms, Hats, Helmets etc. 

3. Balancing of Weapons, Player models and Vehicles. Depending on circumstances if this insane proposition is ever even looked at without all of LO Losing their shit with crying laughter, Adding modular Damage to Vehicles and Playermodels. 
A shot to a Tire would blow it out. A hit in the leg would slow you down, I know this isn't DayZ or Battlefield or any other Shooter game but a touch of Immersion would be nice. 

4. With the rework of APB, something else that is nice would be to have the ability to change Gender at will. People like that kind of thing. I don't know why. 

This concludes my Insane Rambling/Idea on how to bring APB back to life and actually have it become super popular

56 minutes ago, DxpeDog said:

1. Rebuild APB:R from the ground up.

Please don't use this color.  It's extremely hard to read on a dark any background.

1.  Updating the engine to Unreal 4 isn't just as simple as "updating" it.  That requires the game to be rebuilt from the ground up and only the art assets like audio, models, and textures can be carried over and the process would probably take at the very least 2 years.  They are doing that though.  Their main team is working on the engine upgrade to 3.5, but for the long term they have a separate team in Australia rebuilding it in Unreal 4.  Like I said though even 2 years is extremely optimistic.  Shutting down APB for that long would be certain death.

2.  I'm all for this and if I remember correctly Matt has shown some interest in it in the past but the overall outcome was that in the current game it's just not viable and would be extremely hard to do considering how the customization system works.  Basically he explains in one of Jenz's streams how the pipeline for clothing works and it's all kinds of fucked up.

3.  Just going to skip over this one except for the point about blowing out tires and players being slowed down when shot.  No.  APB is supposed to have fast paced gameplay.  Being slowed down when getting shot would take away a lot of fun in the game.  There's a lot of reasons why most modern games aren't fun and this is one of them.  Slow clumsy gameplay for the sake of realism.  Better damage models for cars would be nice though, and maybe some visible blood on your character, walls and the ground would be cool.

4.  Sure it would be nice.  However there's the issue of the male and female base models being different.  It's not like Saint's Row where you can just have a gender slider, it's a separate model altogether, and along with this comes the issue with items that are available for males but not females and vice versa. 

I don't think that as a whole this would make APB super popular tbh.  If you want it to blend in with the crowd of other mediocre games then sure, but for it to actually succeed it needs to focus on the main things that make APB special and different from other games.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

There are suggestions that can bring APB back to life, then there is suggesting a complete remake from the ground up...

We known for a while that APB is older than most eSports games and Grand Theft Auto Online exists.

You cannot compare APB to Final Fantasy or Grand Theft Auto Online.

Final Fantasy has been around longer than I've been alive! I mean it's a game franchise that has been on more platforms than Super Mario!

Grand Theft Auto 4 was released before APB even went into beta testings. When GTA 4 was release, some modders made a multiplayer mode as they did with GTA San Andreas. And I'm sure that Rock Star was aware of APB:All Point Bulletin's emergence but the nature of the games are different and APB was so much smaller and just starting out that RockStar don't have a reason to care.

Seeing the success of other massive Multiplayer Online games and with a huge fan base already, they probably didn't feel any great rush or pressure to make GTA Online.

These companies have years of experience and have the capability to make new games, remake old games, hell they probably could make a full length live action movie...

Then we got littleOrbit that has released 2 guns (3 if you consider the Showstopper variants), a new game mode which is still being refined, 2 new contact due.

LittleOrbit has only been here for just over a year, The staff are working to capacity with the Unreal Engine 3.5 upgrade and trying to answer Customer Support tickets.

Does it look like there is the capacity to completely remake APB from the ground up? I'd like everything you suggest as much as the next person and yourself but be realistic. 🙄

Not to mention the fact that LO repairs servers and maintains their services on an ongoing basis. Many players bought guns forever and LO gets less income than companies before them. For this reason, it is better to wait for the new engine and support the money there. Including the fact that the new engine will have their(LO) code and restructuring will be easier.