Basih

Cyrillic is a problem

Hiya, 

Since we now have a swarm of Russians on Citadell it's time to address some real problem with them, their names. Some of them have names consisting of Cyrillic letters which totally breaks the /report system. Cyrillic characters is not recognized by the form so you can't press the blacked out report button. This is the most pressing issues regarding Cyrillic, though it doesn't diminish the annoyance of seeing district chat full of characters I can't read or write. 

I have 2 ideas for this problems, firstly flag all characters with Cyrillic names for a free rename. Secondly introduce a option to disable Cyrillic for us westerners. 

• Like 7

option 3: let everyone use any special characters in names and clan names

• Like 1

Just now, Glaciers said:

i can see the 80 different clans all with the same name just with 'special characters' appearing

Just now, Alani said:

i can see the 80 different clans all with the same name just with 'special characters' appearing

it’s more of a selfish option tbh, i just want to name my characters unreadable stuff 

Just now, Glaciers said:

it’s more of a selfish option tbh, i just want to name my characters unreadable stuff 

yeah but if the devs cant fix the current issue of not being able to report players with special characters, cheaters would probably start using the special characters lol

Just now, Alani said:

yeah but if the devs cant fix the current issue of not being able to report players with special characters, cheaters would probably start using the special characters lol

Just what is happening right now, All the imported Russian hackers are immune to being reported and we've seen no results from any anti-cheat software used by APB. 

5 minutes ago, Alani said:

take me back to the days of IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII names 

Have you tried just "whispering" them via the scoreboard, but instead of having /W you just replace it with /report. Or did I missread it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenginima said:

Have you tried just "whispering" them via the scoreboard, but instead of having /W you just replace it with /report. Or did I missread it? 

that now brings up the report UI, which doesnt recognize any names with cyrillic characters as valid character names and it won't allow you to submit a report without a valid character name

They could just send them free name change and force them to use it but naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah let's lick that rus butt.

Let's be fully politically correct and ban me for writing the truth. 

Edited by Clandestine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Glaciers said:

please do not do drunk texting its confusing as  @#%% rofl

but i don't see why not have the coding updated properly

3 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

They could just send them free name change and force them to use it but naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah let's lick that rus butt

or maybe you can respect other culture? just a thought

I will just go ahead and quote myself from yesterday from another identical thread here on the forums. I don't like doing so but it feels like people just keep creating multiple similar threads about similar/the same thing and the replies/solutions are largely the same/overlapped:

With the Nekrova server being merged into Citadel, I think that this introduces a new problem on the table (that I've considered for a long while now).

So how about they allow players to put whatever they want in their character names but they make you have an @name#1234 in-game (that is strictly english only and that you get to pick) that is unique to your account and if anyone wants to refer to anyone else or whisper them, they can do it by using that tag. That way even if they have characters in their name that you cannot even type with your keyboard setup, you can still interact with every player.

And they can do it like Discord and let you change your numbers only if you have Premium active or something 😛

Also, this will allow new players to actually have a choice in nicknames because with the current taken inactive nicknames it's extremely irritating to try and find a name you might consider wanting and you just can't get because it's taken by someone who played the game once and left forever, locking an amazing nickname to never be used again and completely forgot about APB's existence. Which is why I also think we need a solid nickname wipe, BADLY, because new players will want their nice nicknames and not use numbers to replace letters or put random trashy nicknames for the sake of being able to play APB at all...

My older suggestion was to simply namewipe every character/account that was NOT merged after the Obeya/Patriot -> Citadel and Joker/Colby -> Jericho merges. If you have not launched the game once since 2015 then you clearly do not care enough about your nickname. They can send out warning e-mails 30 days prior as well if they feel the need to. If anyone genuinely cares, they will make sure to launch the game just once to keep their nickname.

Most people might not think it's a big deal but it actually is pretty relevant to how appealing the game would be to decently sized portion of new players that will come in from games where they could have their nicknames.

Just a thought.

In addition to this thread, I would say that even if they did not want to go with an @ID#1234 system and wanted to keep it as it is but also wanted to go back to strictly english only names, they would 100% need to do a name wipe as suggested in the quote. The current pool of taken nicknames that are most likely to be desired by any player of any nationality vs the pool of currently available nicknames is absolutely god awful and that's an understatement.

Either of those decisions would solve the problems that OP is addressing. As neither LO nor G1 are a Russian company, nor was APB made in Russia, they do not have to accept Cyrillic (or anything other than the English alphabet) in their game and I am saying this as someone who comes from a country that uses Cyrillic. On top of that, the most common language worldwide is English so it is common sense for most games to be restricted to English except for any specific region servers/versions of said game that commonly use a different language.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at why our APB even has cyrillic supported. This is western game, made in west, for the west.

Cyrillic should be simply not supported like in some MMOs. No more russian ignorance there. Still has russian guilds and if they want to chat with everyone else outside their guilds, they use english.

1 hour ago, Temporal said:

No more russian ignorance there.

There's at least 2 other languages then English spoken in chat on a daily basis and nobody seems to bothered about those. Just let it go and disable your chat if you're that bothered.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Then I can use cyrillic letters that look like latin ones. Like cyrillic р for latin p, or Н for H.  They have different unicodes but they look identical.

You won't like someone impersonating you.

Edited by Sayori

People should be able to message each other in their native alphabet but using any kind of special characters in names should be strictly forbidden. Names should be limited to the ASCII encoding. The names could only contain special characters if we had some kind of a right click report functionality in the game.

Edited by Thial

I am a Russian game player. I have a nickname in Cyrillic. I would be happy with a free rename. In addition, most of our nicknames can be written in English.

AHTOH (RUS in Cyrillic) - ANTON (EN) - my name is Anthony  

Jnets (RUS in Cyrillic) - Reaper (EN)

}{0Ta6i4(Symbol and number) - Hottabych(EN), this is name gin from Russian fairy tales. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

please do not do drunk texting its confusing as  @#%% rofl

but i don't see why not have the coding updated properly

or maybe you can respect other culture? just a thought

Then you allow other cultures letters in your game???

That's not respect. That's favoritism.

9 hours ago, Flaws said:

On top of that, the most common language worldwide is English so it is common sense for most games to be restricted to English except for any specific region servers/versions of said game that commonly use a different language.

4e5b8d7403e85d0cde6e856a40e5fcf0.png

Annoying problem, and is useless, more? Nah.

is this mentioned in the bugs section of the forum?

It's more of a bug in the report system.

Edited by illgot

32 minutes ago, illgot said:

is this mentioned in the bugs section of the forum?

It's more of a bug in the report system.

Yup it is, good thing too. The issue needs immediate attention! 

6 hours ago, Sayori said:

Then I can use cyrillic letters that look like latin ones. Like cyrillic р for latin p, or Н for H.  They have different unicodes but they look identical.

You won't like someone impersonating you.

i don’t think i’d be too bothered, even if anyone decided i was important enough to impersonate in the first place

worst case scenario i simply don’t use a name that can be so easily duplicated