Defibrillator

Does having a good mice help in gaming?

Hi everyone.

Before getting into topic, a quick intro abt myself:

I am just an average player who plays the fc 1.5hrs/day for the past 2yrs. I am not really concerned abt the joker tickets or doing activities( you can call me kill hungry tho') . I was a bronze dist player in the past who regretted for abusing the system wanted to improvise myself, got stomped in silver dist due to various reasons which include getting ~50fps and a ping of ~300ms.

My prob:

I do know that this is just a thing but the major thing is that i am not good enough. I am just working towards getting better everyday. I have learnt playing few weapons which i have not dared to  touch since i was a newbie. I wanted to play those no matter what and i spent weeks to get used to those guns. Some of them are shaw, carbine, hvr. 

I watch player streams in twitch and they do have a decent enough pc for the game which includes a fairly good mice. I am planning to upgrade my pc in a few mths. Now what im wondering is..would it make a diff to my gameplay if i upgrade myself to a better mice?

I have a logitech g90 mice, i know its like too old. The probs which i face are i can tap fire the carbines well enough and the cr762 decently. The prob lies with oscar, obir, fbw. No matter how much i practice i feel like i am not firing them fast enough or miss the targets.

1. I don't understand how i can fire the carbine easily and suck with a fbw? I know these guns got a rhythm..but the fire interval diff between these two isnt much. 

2.Same thing about oscar. How are ppl able to shoot with a rhythm and call oscar an easy weapon?

Pls help me out. Does upgrading to a better mouse help me improvise my gameplay? Or shd i practice more?

Pls note that im not asking abt macros..i am sure i can tap well once i get the hang of it.

TL DR:   Pls read points 1 and 2.

Does upgrading to a better mouse make me a better player?

Edited by Defibrillator

It depends, every mouse has different shape and weight, it all comes down to personal preference, only upgrade or change if you feel like your current mouse is holding back your potential.
Nothing wrong with the G90, looks like a fairly decent mouse. I'm using a G502, it was a little hard to get used to at first cause it's super heavy but now i got used to it. Don't have any problems whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

Peripherals are the single most thing that you can waste money on without getting that much more value out of when it comes to hardware.

Sure having some extra keys on a mouse can be some quality of life additions but nothing that fundamentally makes a difference in gameplay.

If the mouse fits your grip and is comfortable then I wouldn't bother to much about any other technical stats.

As for finding the right rythym. Keep practicing... try to be slower. A comfortable slower rythym is better than an almost perfect with mistakes in-between.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Peripherals are the single most thing that you can waste money on without getting that much more value out of when it comes to hardware.

Sure having some extra keys on a mouse can be some quality of life additions but nothing that fundamentally makes a difference in gameplay.

If the mouse fits your grip and is comfortable then I wouldn't bother to much about any other technical stats.

As for finding the right rythym. Keep practicing... try to be slower. A comfortable slower rythym is better than an almost perfect with mistakes in-between.

I am kinda new to this mouse world..the extra buttons on the sides of the mice. Are they programmable? Cuz my mice has a button which you can just change the dpi, and doesnt play any significant role other than that. 

I wish i had a button in my mice to look behind or to lean.

On a side note..does the mouse buttons are kinda softer than the traditional mice? Like why are they called a gaming mice?

Jus beacuse of some dpi adjustment kry or some extra buttons which u can customise at ur free will or cuz of the rgb colors?

i noticed with a cheap mouse the sensor was slow and sometimes inconsistent, decent mice have a good polling rate among a load of other features.. some people find a lighter or heavier mouse help them, and most of the better mice have programmable buttons but i dont bother with those, mostly i just use the good sensor with the high polling rate with a good large mousepad.. really thats all you should need

37 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I am kinda new to this mouse world..the extra buttons on the sides of the mice. Are they programmable? Cuz my mice has a button which you can just change the dpi, and doesnt play any significant role other than that. 

I wish i had a button in my mice to look behind or to lean.

On a side note..does the mouse buttons are kinda softer than the traditional mice? Like why are they called a gaming mice?

Jus beacuse of some dpi adjustment kry or some extra buttons which u can customise at ur free will or cuz of the rgb colors?

Yes on most modern mice all buttons or all but mouse button 1 are programmable. 

I have my thumb buttons set to shoulder switch and grenades. 

i rarely notice any performance increases (or decreases) from mouse to mouse

aside from convenience, like having several functions bound to thumb buttons for example, a new mouse isnt that important if you're comfortable with what you have and it works

don't expect to buy an $80 logitech and immediately become a big owner

19 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Yes on most modern mice all buttons or all but mouse button 1 are programmable. 

I have my thumb buttons set to shoulder switch and grenades. 

Oh god, ive been using the alt key for years for switching shoulders and it has been a burden when jump switching since i use my thumb for both.

6 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Oh god, ive been using the alt key for years for switching shoulders and it has been a burden when jump switching since i use my thumb for both.

Yeah and it's nice to not have to use the G key for grenades, so you can WASD strafe while cooking a grenade. 

2 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Yeah and it's nice to not have to use the G key for grenades, so you can WASD strafe while cooking a grenade. 

Got it fam..so thats how ppl crouch, cook a nade, switch shoulders throw a nade.

6 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Got it fam..so thats how ppl crouch, cook a nade, switch shoulders throw a nade.

Yep. 

Most important thing is the size and the shape, then the optical sensor.  You don't need to get the mouse with the best sensor from the current year, lots of pro players use same  mouse for years because they have used. It's like cars, every year new mice and sensors come out with tiny incremental upgrades so the masses can rush and buy them, thinking it's will be better. Then you have the shill "influencers" who help them 🙂

Zowie is a good brand but their dpi switch is on the bottom, so if you need to switch during combat it's impossible. They also don't have software which I find mandatory ..at least for me.

Razer's quality is a complete joke, you can safely avoid them.

Stay from Finalmouse, horrible warranty and replacement service and artificially keep low stock on their official site so they can sell them through amazon for over 200$.

So with those brands off the list, the only left "top" mice are  Logitech, Steelseries, and Glorious

Logitech taxes you for the brand name heavily, you don't need wireless mouse unless cables ever bothered you so simple g203 will do it if  you like shape. Good software too.

Glorious combines the best features from most successful mice in one, it's a good price for what it offers. 

I use Steelseries myself, it's good quality and I like the software, can make profiles with different dpi and button settings depending on the game, I use the side buttons for switching cameras and switching weapons, different setups for different games. Can do it through the keybinds settings for the game but that's how I do it.

Cooler master mm530 has top optical sensor and it's cheap too. Their pads are good too, I like them better than Steelseries's pads.

If you are going to play APB, it's not worth to spend lots of money on a mouse.

edit:

Oh, and turn off mouse smoothing, get a pad that's like 40cm and make sure you have  free room of 25cm where you can spin 360 degrees with whatever mouse sensitivity value is that depending on your dpi. At least for me that's optimal.

Edited by Sayori
  • Like 1

deathadder was easily the most nice feeling shaped mouse I've ever had. however, the mousewheel was a severe issue.

I was recommended the zowie fk1 but the shape wasn't as comfortable. i honestly couldn't tell you if my mouse movements were better or worse.

currently using the g903, not a fan of the open crevices. the wired/wireless option is nice.

if we're talking about peripherals, 144hz is too nice not to have for fast-paced gaming. although that changes this topic from a $50-$120 mouse upgrade, to a $150-$400 monitor upgrade.

there's a new trend going where companies are trying to create lighter gaming mice, but each individual has their own preferences. 

gaming mice helps if you know how to use it properly.

Edited by Deadliest

Having a good mice does help indeed, but not by so much. In my opinion a mouse that perfectly fits you is what you need, then the skill only comes with other adjustments.

A good mice is :

- A good shape (fitting to your hands depending on how you grab a mouse aka palm grip, claw grip, fingertip grip or 131) 

- Good sensor

- Lightweight if possible (mices are getting lighter and lighter these days since glorious came out with their sick Glorious model O that worth only 50$, but weight depends on you too.)

- Good cable or no cable if possible

But again you really need to know that a good mouse fitting your hands is what you need, you won't instantly become better using a new mouse that fits you more than the previous one, but it'll be easier indeed to improve using a good product that you feel comfortable with.

I own many mices and now I just switch between all the mices I got because I can't seem to have a real fitting mouse, but that's a lefthander problem so anyways.

Also you should never ever focus your whole time on "aim" purpose, being good is having a good aim, but also moving around maps using your brain, using the environement to your advantage etc...

Edited by Takotak

oh yeah, i forgot. make sure you're COMFORTABLE. i've been playing on high dpi, high sens like a dumbo my entire life, and i've started to feel the wear and tear on my wrist. take care of your wrists people.

ergonomics too important.

2 hours ago, Aeronaut said:

i've started to feel the wear and tear on my wrist

QRGyhq1.gif

Aero playing with high sens mouse in the tub -2019 (colourized)

Upgrading to a better mouse can help with aiming and precision but it will not make you fire semi-auto weapons any better than you do now. Though keep in mind that a decent quality mouse pad is required for good aim, not a hardcover book or, well, desk surface.

As for semi-auto weapons, most of the practice you should be doing is directly on the field, playing against players. I've seen many players over the years who practice FBW on a wall out of mission and then they forget all of that in missions because they panic and they don't have the comfort nor time to screw it up. Speaking from personal experience, high/top players learned how to max firerate every semi-auto in the game by just playing a significant amount of time with it until it becomes second nature, it needs to be something that you do subconciously and you don't even think about. It's the exact same for aiming as well.

Another major issue I see in your situation is the amount of gametime you get with APB and the game environment you have. 50fps is not really good considering that most good players play with 100+ fps constant with high refresh rate monitors (120hz/144hz+) and usually no more than 70-80ms latency. On top of that, you only play 1.5h/day so with those game performance stats, you are not getting all that much practice and your muscle memory is not being fully utilized. If you want to become proper good then it takes time and dedication, which usually includes spending a good amount of money on a good PC. However, I do understand that the latency issue is likely due to your physical location and is beyond your control and moving countries for APB isn't exactly optimal at this stage 😛