Sign in to follow this  
TheMessiah

News about unreal 4 progress?

Last time when we get news about unreal 4 progress was on june 2018 blog(14 months ago)I know we gonna start testing 3.5 soon but wonder how far this team in Australia go(because is that team working on 4.0 right?)and things like that.A lot of time pass after all.The work on 4.0 was stoped for some periods or?..just have questions like that 🤨 (sry my english is not good)

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2018/6/22/apb-roadmap

Alongside all of this, our 2nd team is working on Unreal 4. This will not be a short project, but it has lots of milestones along the way. We are initially focused on getting the third person shooter mechanics of APB up and running in one of the existing districts. From there we'll start layering on customization and other systems.

Edited by TheMessiah
  • Like 3

that. although that's just detailing new content being released with the EU with no specific date set for release.

For the remainder of July we are finishing the tedious process of running commandlets that merge and tweak any conflicts we found. We are also attempting to wrap up the remaining performance optimizations, which have been ongoing. Starting at the beginning of August, we hope to be focusing exclusively on fixing bugs till we can launch the Engine Upgrade on OTW for everyone to test.

probably not much to tell, afaik ue4 requires basically remaking the game from the ground up so i doubt much has changed in 2 months

51 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

probably not much to tell, afaik ue4 requires basically remaking the game from the ground up so i doubt much has changed in 2 months

Uh...not really. If I'm not mistaken, it was said that with the changeover at 3.5, going to 4 would have been easier.

Maybe I'm wrong...

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Don't worry about it. APB won't make it to 4.0.

It depends, if with the arrival of the 3.5 the game resumes, maybe it makes it. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Kast2 said:

It depends, if with the arrival of the 3.5 the game resumes, maybe it makes it. 🙂

Na. Game dies with 3.5.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kast2 said:

Uh...not really. If I'm not mistaken, it was said that with the changeover at 3.5, going to 4 would have been easier.

Maybe I'm wrong...

i cant find the exact quote where the ue4 rewrite was stated, but ue3.5 to ue4 is basically rebuilding apb on a different engine while ue3 to ue3.5 is just porting apb to a newer version of the same engine

looking at the speed of the 3.5 engine upgrade the ue4 engine upgrade is years off at best

4 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Na. Game dies with 3.5.

This, unfortunately. With how long the 3.5 has taken (including before LO took over), people coming back to the game will probably have high expectations and be left disappointed with what they get. I could always be wrong, but my guess is that APB will actually die before 4.0 is completed/released.

Edited by Goldtiger
  • Like 1

It sounds maybe a bit wrong without context but I want APB to die with 3.5.

I'd rather see some sort of spiritual successor of APB come out on Unreal 4. It would set the designers and dev team free from so many constraints they'd currently be struggling with.

Right now LO can't come with all that many things to please the community it feels like, probably partly because the community doesn't know what they want the game to be or have in the long long term? Or it could be that people involved in this game, players or devs, struggle to let go of what they're used to, eg. mission district purists and FC addicts.

Starting from 0 would set pretty much everyone free from most of the constraint they currently have - everyone can put their expectations back to 0 (until some flashy teaser releases).

Edited by Haganu

worst case scenario: APB dies withing 1-2 years because UE3.5 was underwhelming and further updates to the game can't spark more interest for new and old players to play.

best case scenario: APB UE4 update actually turns into a bigger project - "APB 2"

If LO/APB survives the upcoming events in next couple of years-probably will live 4ever..events are:global economic recession,release of playstation 5,gta online possible switch to f2p because of gta 6 coming out soon(main gta v game stays b2p with reduced price)Thats only few things coming next years..

edit:just dont see how rockstar lets gta online die like nothing when still have such a potential and dont see how apb consoles will survive after ps5 come out(xbox is dead anyway doubt gonna be revived)

Edited by TheMessiah

Just a simple moving asset (with no edits) to UE4 and putting it in the map with its original textures would took like an half of year for a small team - which is the easiest part of all of this

There is so much things to do tho. So much weapons to work on. So much clothes. All the coding, and editing all the details behind it.

Even tho I think UE4 is "newb friendly", dont expect updates on UE4 earlier than 2y later after releasing v3.5. And I think Iam way too optimistic here yet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Haganu said:

Right now LO can't come with all that many things to please the community it feels like

wow they should hire you

On 8/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, Glaciers said:

wow they should hire you

I'm always open for a new challenge.

48 minutes ago, Haganu said:

I'm always open for a new challenge.

yeah you'd fit right in at little orbit

Hey! I don't want to see APB's death! 😢

Edited by Osprey22
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, AxeTurboAgresor said:

Just a simple moving asset (with no edits) to UE4 and putting it in the map with its original textures would took like an half of year for a small team - which is the easiest part of all of this

There is so much things to do tho. So much weapons to work on. So much clothes. All the coding, and editing all the details behind it.

Even tho I think UE4 is "newb friendly", dont expect updates on UE4 earlier than 2y later after releasing v3.5. And I think Iam way too optimistic here yet.

This. 2.5 years at LEAST to go to 4, if not another year on top of that aka 3.5 years.

Ive worked for a handful of AAA companies in the US and Korea and I refuse to believe that a company who made licensed Disney and other games for a living could do all this overly nearly impossible detailed overhauling in under 2 years. Even 3.5 to 4, 2.25 years at least. They are literally still figuring out what assets they have right now. They're like 80% organized. There's absolutely no way UE4 is introduced into APB until 2022 if not EVER.

My vote is that'll literally never happen. Not because LO isn't good enough but because they will settle with 3.5 and try to modify it the best they can because they need the money extrmely bad so to make positive income they will settle. Happens to a LOT of gaming companies. Blizzard, Microsoft, Sony, NHN, YNK, Nexon, Bungiee, the list goes on. They've been hemorrhaging money since acquiring APB and will continue to do so until their "re-re-release" of the game after the engine update. Matt Scott and LO cashed out immensely on licensed games and if APB tanks they are literally Fucked City and Matt Scott's the mayor. Facts.

Don't believe me, look it all up. All I said is 100% facts. Ask their employees. A handful of them play on Jericho and openly speak about it on private discords. The engine update is 125% what they are riding on. If it fails, the game is over. Pack your shit up, call your parents and tell them Christmas is cancelled. GG No Re.

537691458946465792.png?v=1
Like, it's cool and all to think about but we need news about 3.5, don't worry about 4, ok. 

On 8/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Glaciers said:

i cant find the exact quote where the ue4 rewrite was stated, but ue3.5 to ue4 is basically rebuilding apb on a different engine while ue3 to ue3.5 is just porting apb to a newer version of the same engine

I believe MattScott posted that on the old forums before they were nuked.

but yes that is how I remember it being said as well.

Do yourself a favor and leave apb for other games. I've done it about 1,5 years ago and now I'm only dropping in to check on the progress. UE4 version might not even happen. If LO will continue with their current way of doing things then APB will die during 3.5. Actually it's quite dead already.

9 minutes ago, Thial said:

Do yourself a favor and leave apb for other games. I've done it about 1,5 years ago and now I'm only dropping in to check on the progress. UE4 version might not even happen. If LO will continue with their current way of doing things then APB will die during 3.5. Actually it's quite dead already.

the work is already in progress  its not like it can be done overnight 😕

On 8/13/2019 at 11:38 PM, Glaciers said:

looking at the speed of the 3.5 engine upgrade the ue4 engine upgrade is years off at best

So, 3 to 3.5 yeah, it's a porting. While from 3.5 to 4 it is a question of rewriting the entire game.
If I have to make an estimate, it is likely at least 2 years of work for UE4.
The 3.5 was so delayed because of G1. Version 3.5 if there had been LO by 2016, would have been online by 2018.

We need to get more challenging... APB on R*'s RAGE engine.

44 minutes ago, Nagletz said:

We need to get more challenging... APB on R*'s RAGE engine.

well we can dream

Sign in to follow this