MattScott

New JMB legendary drop rate and disclosure

Hi all,

If you haven't seen the news, Microsoft and Sony will be requiring us to disclose the drop rates for loot boxes.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/7/20758626/nintendo-microsoft-sony-loot-box-drop-rate-disclosure-video-games

Previously Joker Mystery Boxes had a legendary drop rate of .5% (1 in 200).

However when we launched the New Glory, I wanted to make the drop rate more common, so we increased the rate to .8% (1 in 125).

Effective immediately, I am making the decision to standardize the legendary drop rate across all JMBs to 1% (1 in 100) across all platforms.

We will also be following Microsoft and Sony's guidelines to  be posting that information publicly for all players to read before they purchase them.

These changes are live.

Now before I get flooded with messages asking for refunds, please understand that we can't do that. This is just one more way that we are attempting to reduce abusive monetization practices. We have already improved the G1C currency exchange, lowered pricing on ARMAS, and more recently added 80+ guns to the Joker Store so that players can now get permanent guns with Joker Tickets. I appreciate all the players that purchased JMBs over the years. 

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 40
  • Thanks 11

nice to finally know these things although i can't help but feel it doesn't mean much if it requires "legislation" from higher authorities 

i know a sizeable portion of the community isnt present on the forums, so will these odds be added to the armas store joker box pages?

edit: are the odds changes live right now or will they go live at a later time today?

Edited by Glaciers
edit

Why not just remove JMBs and put the guns in ARMAS as direct purchases? You say you care about abusive practices, well loot boxes are abusive no matter if you disclose the odds or not.

• Like 11

will this change effect the gold loyalty joker boxes as well? and do those have the same odds as normal joker boxes or are they different?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

neat of you to disclose it in such a way. like you weren't exactly forced to do it now, but yeah. those were horrible odds and now are still terrible but that is what gambling is.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MattScott said:

This is just one more way that we are attempting to reduce abusive monetization practices. 

You are aware how Ironic it is that you are saying this and that lootboxes by their very nature are the biggest form of abusive and predatory monetization in the entire games industry and that by just having them you are saying that you are totally fine with abusive monetization, right? 

If you want to do away with abusive monitization how about removing lootboxes entirely and show us that you are not about that abusive monetization 

Edited by WingedArc
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, WingedArc said:

If you want to do away with abusive monitization how about removing lootboxes entirely and show us that you are not about that abusive monetization 

Too bad the "abusive monetization" in question doesn't reward the player with any rewards that give significant advantages in game, and most of the loot is garbage anyway. Most people that buy JMBs just buy them when they have 100-500 g1c leftover to blow on something.

JMBs are fine. Probably the most harmless form of gambling in a rated M F2P game that the industry has ever seen.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IROCkiller said:

Is this in effect right now or will it be done in the future?

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Effective today,

One would assume that means it's currently in effect since the work day is well over.

I edited the post to reflect that these changes are live.

We are working on new systems so that we can remove JMBs entirely, but that is a much more tricky thing to remove from APB.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

I know a sizeable portion of the community isnt present on the forums, so will these odds be added to the armas store joker box pages?

Yes. We will be posting the odds on the JMB ARMAS pages.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MattScott said:

I edited the post to reflect that these changes are live.

We are working on new systems so that we can remove JMBs entirely, but that is a much more tricky thing to remove from APB.

This I wholeheartedly approve of! you have my thanks for saying this!

8ckk93utbtn21.jpg

Edited by WingedArc
  • Like 5

You guys have been very generous with both the paying and F2P players since you've taken over, and I just wanted to say that your generosity means a lot to all of us. I'm actually in the mood now to buy more JMBs knowing that it's a lot more likely to drop than I had previously thought, and that the chances to get a legendary have been raised. 🙂

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Not sure why you need "new systems" that make it a "tricky thing" to remove, but I'll reserve full judgment until after seeing it. Hopefully it isn't something that will take years like the engine upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

Not sure why you need "new systems" that make it a "tricky thing" to remove, but I'll reserve full judgment until after seeing it. Hopefully it isn't something that will take years like the engine upgrade.

a little bit off-topic, but hearing more and more about new plans for the future of APB makes me believe we'll never get account merging (since it's a lower priority than fixing the game itself)...

I was one of the victims falsely banned under fairfight, and now I'm sitting on 2 accounts with great value. I'd definitely pay for a merge (provided that I'd make a "comeback" to APB).

so yea, any news on account merging matt? probably something you'd still like to do, but not in the near future, right?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

a little bit off-topic, but hearing more and more about new plans for the future of APB makes me believe we'll never get account merging (since it's a lower priority than fixing the game itself)...
I was one of the victims falsely banned under fairfight, and now I'm sitting on 2 accounts with great value. I'd definitely pay for a merge (provided that I'd make a "comeback" to APB).

so yea, any news on account merging matt? probably something you'd still like to do, but not in the near future, right?

Honestly, I'd be ecstatic if I could somehow get my current account merged into my original account.

Hell, I think I'd actually just be ecstatic to regain access to my original account regardless...

I long for the day where there will be only 2 types of Armas content purchase :

Account-wide, untradeable unlocks

& tradeable, inventory-bound items.

• Like 1

Aww shooks. Guess we can only complain now about purchasing those precious weaponry to only see them later be added in for 3K JT   : P

Why buy something for 60 bucks when you can just handpick that specific weapon you like from the bundles for some >JT<? \_/^^\_/

to much currency & "market"

maybe kill G1C and make JT the only money ... and create an ingame "ARMA market" store

and so, buy directly JT with ingame or real money

• Like 1

Thank you for disclosing this information, however even with an increase to the base chance of recieving a legendary drop, this still doesn't guarantee that you won't be able to purchase hundreds of boxes and still not have the weapon you desire.

I would suggest adding a "pity timer" mechanic, that either increases drop chance as you purchase more of the same boxes, until you hit the jackpot, or alternatively make it a guarantee that the legendary will drop upon the 100th or 150th box, and then reset the counter.

• Like 3

Now that the drop rate info is forced to be released the drop rate is instantly increased lol

Like... Nobody is even picking up on what actually just happened here... hello?

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Like 2

Can microsoft and sony allow to keep jmb in armas if you also add them in joker store like 500jt for one box?

8 hours ago, MattScott said:

I hope this will not take ages since it's already unfair that we can't buy them anymore in The Netherlands.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hexerin said:

The issue is they have to work on a system that allows people to obtain legendary guns while not pissing anyone off as well as making it fair and balanced, its not something they can just jump at and a slow transition towards it makes sense.