Seedy

Does Leaning change the hit box size?

Allot of people lean during combat. Does it change the size and shape of the hit box?

From my knowledge, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure the shape and volume of the hitbox is consistent throughout, but leaning may shift move the hitbox over slightly. I don't remember though.

Edited by Goldtiger

From what I saw during some illegitimate-program videos a few odd years back, leaning doesn't change the hitbox size, or shape, it just nudges a little to either direction. From what I remember, if someone is leaning out of a corner, the hitbox just nudges out the same way as if their entire body shifted in that direction. The angle of lean isn't sufficient enough to change the size of the hitbox AFAIK.

I could be entirely wrong however, but thats what I can remember.

pretty sure it makes the hitbox a little bit shorter from the top, but wider to the sides.

something like this:

9O4NK9g.png

Edited by Snubnose
  • Like 1

afaik leaning has no effect on the hitbox

Leaning shifts the hitbox slightly towards the leaning direction. It doesn't alter it however, it's still a solid rectangle. This is why leaning is almost useless, because anyone who understands the underlying mechanic knows that that "air" beneath your exposed head/arms is also targetable.

• Like 1

afaik, there are three hitboxes, standing leaning and crouching, but lemme ask real quick

4 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

afaik, there are three hitboxes, standing leaning and crouching, but lemme ask real quick

There's only one and it changes height between "normal", crouched while moving, and crouched while static.  

2 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

There's only one and it changes height between "normal", crouched while moving, and crouched while static.  

Sounds like 3 then.

z4pGh5K.gif

(christ Im immature lol)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

I'm almost completely certain that crouching just shifts the existing hitbox down.

There's a couple locations where you can be damaged by explosives through the ground you're crouched on. There's also the thing where crouching can let you access resupply points that are below you, that you can't access when you're standing.

The easiest way to show this is pulling out an Espacio with Mobile Supply Unit, and then standing on it's roof at the tailgate with your weapon missing some ammo. Standing does nothing, but if you crouch you'll start resupplying.

Another example of this is various locations where you can drop a Resupply Box (tested with large, not sure if medium has the same radius) and resupply from it on an upper level so long as you're crouched.

2 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I'm almost completely certain that crouching just shifts the existing hitbox down.

There's a couple locations where you can be damaged by explosives through the ground you're crouched on. There's also the thing where crouching can let you access resupply points that are below you, that you can't access when you're standing.

The easiest way to show this is pulling out an Espacio with Mobile Supply Unit, and then standing on it's roof at the tailgate with your weapon missing some ammo. Standing does nothing, but if you crouch you'll start resupplying.

Another example of this is various locations where you can drop a Resupply Box (tested with large, not sure if medium has the same radius) and resupply from it on an upper level so long as you're crouched.

Resupplying im pretty sure is because the player origin point drops lower, not because of the hit box.  There was a blog post long ago where they showed off the debug mode for hit boxes when they added in the 3rd height mode for it and i recall nothing clipping through the ground.  But at the same time there are microholes in the map that allow stuff to go both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

1 hour ago, SkittyM said:

Resupplying im pretty sure is because the player origin point drops lower, not because of the hit box.  There was a blog post long ago where they showed off the debug mode for hit boxes when they added in the 3rd height mode for it and i recall nothing clipping through the ground.  But at the same time there are microholes in the map that allow stuff to go both ways.

yea your hitbox is not getting shifted into the ground, it really changes shape. but the thing with getting damaged through the ground is because of "1 pixel wide textures" that don't have a "second wall" beneath... you can always shoot peoples feet when they walk on a "single texture" (like the unbreakable glass at hopemall (financial) that leads to the graffiti spot on the WP towers - facing the party island). knowing this allowed me to easily pick targets off that cheesy spot LUL

3 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

yea your hitbox is not getting shifted into the ground, it really changes shape. but the thing with getting damaged through the ground is because of "1 pixel wide textures" that don't have a "second wall" beneath... you can always shoot peoples feet when they walk on a "single texture" (like the unbreakable glass at hopemall (financial) that leads to the graffiti spot on the WP towers - facing the party island). knowing this allowed me to easily pick targets off that cheesy spot LUL

You mean models.  Textures are purely visual aesthetic.

1 minute ago, SkittyM said:

You mean models.  Textures are purely visual aesthetic.

yea I mean models, but it's literally just a flat 1 pixel wide thing so it does seem like "just a texture", if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, SkittyM said:

-technical stuff-

42 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

-more technical stuff-

I see, good to know. Even 8 years later, still learning stuff about this game.

When you crouch and lean at the same time you can't be hit over a mobile cover from even ground. Without leaning you can be hit over it.

11 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Leaning shifts the hitbox slightly towards the leaning direction. It doesn't alter it however, it's still a solid rectangle. This is why leaning is almost useless, because anyone who understands the underlying mechanic knows that that "air" beneath your exposed head/arms is also targetable.

this is untrue, it's pretty useful because corner leaning and corner popping affects the movement related accuracy on many guns different.

Edited by LilyV3

One should always lean for it makes them more edgy. 

Even in the Social.

So you all gonna say me that leaning is essentialy useless?

Great.

1 hour ago, Mitne said:

So you all gonna say me that leaning is essentialy useless?

Great.

It does affect gun position so leaning around corners is useful.  But leaning in the middle of the open is some weird Siege or COD tactic since those games have shifting hitboxes.  If you aim COM (just above the groin) you'll land shots even if the person crouches, rendering most meme tactics useless.

A good number of players don't know this but you can actually tag players who are leaning and shooting while in cover. Your crosshairs have to find that area in the corner where you can still see "red" even though the leaning shooter's character can't even be seen. If you find that red area with your crosshairs you can tag the shooter by firing in that area, you won't see any hit markers on your end but you will still be tagging him/her.

A tip for players who think leaning while in cover is unstoppable.

Leaning pushes the camera away from your character, creating a larger field of vision. I believe that's why a lot of people do it.

23 hours ago, Snubnose said:

pretty sure it makes the hitbox a little bit shorter from the top, but wider to the sides.

This is my state of knowledge as well. Leaning does widen the hitbox to accommodate the shifted upper body position, but also the unchanged lower body.

Of course this might have changed at some point (especially during the crouching hitbox time).

3 hours ago, JazzLand said:

A good number of players don't know this but you can actually tag players who are leaning and shooting while in cover. Your crosshairs have to find that area in the corner where you can still see "red" even though the leaning shooter's character can't even be seen.

Fun fact: Even if you can not visibly target their hitbox anymore (i.e. red crosshairs) you can oftentimes still hit them. I don't know what the technical implications are, but my theory is that the bullet-spread-system has to do with it. Or maybe hitboxes extend slightly beyond the point at which the crosshairs detect them.

Or it's bad netcode. But I've found it too reliable to blame that one.

8 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

Fun fact: Even if you can not visibly target their hitbox anymore (i.e. red crosshairs) you can oftentimes still hit them. I don't know what the technical implications are, but my theory is that the bullet-spread-system has to do with it. Or maybe hitboxes extend slightly beyond the point at which the crosshairs detect them.

Or it's bad netcode. But I've found it too reliable to blame that one.

This happens especially often when shooting people that are hidden behind corners. It really makes me wish this game had structural piercing as an innate feature, like Counterstrike.