Sign in to follow this  
foscor77

smart scamming in apb

As we got the new trading system and everybody ditched the ghetto 'restrict item' method the scammers have also come up with somewhat more smarter tricks to scam people, one of which me and and some other people i talked to fell for.

So yesterday i was playing missions in jericho silver waterfront and this player lets call 'banana' on my opposition team starts whispering to me about mundane things like gameplay and stuff and from simple game things we branched out to other topics,we talked constantly for about 20-30 minutes about a lot of cool things and it was fun. Then the topic of legend guns came around,  banana said how banana wants to use this gun at least once before this game dies etc etc and i actually give banana the gun and banana disappears.

Ok you might say that im freaking stupid to trust someone who i talked for only 30 minutes but banana seemed like a fun player to play with, i mean we talked a lot and one usually develops a little connection and trust with someone you talk to and find similarities with and i had never thought that someone would do so much planning in a damn game just for scamming. i wish i had voice chat and text records to show you guys how it all went...wait is it possible to retrieve chat record or voice chat record?

anyway if i could describe this incident into three words then it would be - 'playing it cool'.  banana was super chill,played it cool and disappeared like a fucking breeze. Tbh im not mad at this incident but actually feeling comedic, like it really happened....someone behind a screen talked with me pretending to be a good pal to play with, makes me give them my stuff and disappears lol.

i dont think im the only one banana scammed or if its is the only player doing this in game so i submitted a report to LO to look into this player and made this thread for others to know that it happens. i donnu if i'l get my gun back...i hope i does. take whatever you want from this thread and beware.

see ya around.

idk if that even counts as a scam tbh, just you being dumb as a rock

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, foscor77 said:

As we got the new trading system and everybody ditched the ghetto 'restrict item' method the scammers have also come up with somewhat more smarter tricks to scam people, one of which me and and some other people i talked to fell for.

So yesterday i was playing missions in jericho silver waterfront and this player lets call 'banana' on my opposition team starts whispering to me about mundane things like gameplay and stuff and from simple game things we branched out to other topics,we talked constantly for about 20-30 minutes about a lot of cool things and it was fun. Then the topic of legend guns came around,  banana said how banana wants to use this gun at least once before this game dies etc etc and i actually give banana the gun and banana disappears.

Ok you might say that im freaking stupid to trust someone who i talked for only 30 minutes but banana seemed like a fun player to play with, i mean we talked a lot and one usually develops a little connection and trust with someone you talk to and find similarities with and i had never thought that someone would do so much planning in a damn game just for scamming. i wish i had voice chat and text records to show you guys how it all went...wait is it possible to retrieve chat record or voice chat record?

anyway if i could describe this incident into three words then it would be - 'playing it cool'.  banana was super chill,played it cool and disappeared like a fucking breeze. Tbh im not mad at this incident but actually feeling comedic, like it really happened....someone behind a screen talked with me pretending to be a good pal to play with, makes me give them my stuff and disappears lol.

i dont think im the only one banana scammed or if its is the only player doing this in game so i submitted a report to LO to look into this player and made this thread for others to know that it happens. i donnu if i'l get my gun back...i hope i does. take whatever you want from this thread and beware.

see ya around.

tl;dr

"a scammer made me like him then scammed me? who would do such a thing"

I've seen worse, how about someone getting your adress from twitch just to send you a hand written letter asking for legendaries with 15$ enclosed,

or my most recent encounter 

Trades with someone then photoshops screenshotted proof someone scammed then asks support to retrieve weapon back, while the "scammer" is using 2 accounts to effectivly dupe weapons (he owned the scammed account), it didn't work but damn that's alot just to get another nano. Scammers are con men (or women) they say whatever they need to in order to achieve their objective, Get something for nothing.

u met a random dude for 30mins on the internet, you been played  

Edited by Deadliest
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nanometic said:

IT-clown-.jpg

He's not a clown, he's the whole circus

Edited by WizYuan

1 hour ago, foscor77 said:

Ok you might say that im freaking stupid to trust someone who i talked for only 30 minutes 

Yep. 

• Like 1

I don't feel like this is a new thing. Players asking for Legendaries after seeing you play with them has to be a solid 3rd in level of responses behind "P2W noob" and "hacker noob". 

tbh it's part the reason why I stick to rented guns these days some players just go loopy when they see those golden guns.

2 hours ago, KnifuWaifu said:

I don't feel like this is a new thing. Players asking for Legendaries after seeing you play with them has to be a solid 3rd in level of responses behind "P2W noob" and "hacker noob". 

tbh it's part the reason why I stick to rented guns these days some players just go loopy when they see those golden guns.

dw i've been called a pay2win noob when using a 2 slot jg

13 minutes ago, Yeedman said:

The loyalty one? The one you had to pay to unlock?

Illuminati confirmed!

3 hours ago, foscor77 said:

Then the topic of legend guns came around,  banana said how banana wants to use this gun at least once before this game dies etc etc and i actually give banana the gun and banana disappears.

Ok you might say that im freaking stupid to trust someone who i talked for only 30 minutes

...and you're right, I would normally call you that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt of learning a lesson and leaving it at naivety.

There are catfish on the internet that form romantic relationships for months just to scam people. You think half an hour is enough time to trust someone?

This isn't a smart scam, it's one of the oldest one in the book with MMOs but APB's trading system is new.

2 hours ago, Yeedman said:

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

"smart"

do not trust strangers - mom quote

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the original poster is being dumb, their biggest fault is they naively acted as any normal and kind person would. I did the same numerous times so far and most likely will keep doing. If someone's ready to sell their integrity for a virtual item online, that's not my loss, it is theirs instead. It's pretty much devastating to see how human values and ethics significantly degraded, one will be punished and even called dumb afterwards, just for being a human as we used to be once. The twisted world we live in. 

• Like 3

it's a shame to see this and it certainly happens.

yes... it was a risky thing to do. but as @bambola said, being a nice or decent person is being construed into being stupid.

the stupid one in this story is the person doing to stealing

glad the poster came here and shared their experience and hopefully it reminded people of risks; that there are people active in the game doing this sort of thing.

• Like 2

friendly reminder it’s possible to be nice without being a gullible doormat

• Like 2

This is why I always tell people every damn time

stop trusting random people

Like Glaciers said, this isn't even a scam. This is literally your own negligence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glaciers said:

idk if that even counts as a scam tbh, just you being dumb as a rock

+1

Dude I wouldn't "lend" my legendaries even to my best friends. I would demand money like he would pay normally for legendary or equivalent in other legendaries just as safeguard.

If that community ever learned me anything is that, nobody is trusted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sadira said:

This is why I always tell people every damn time

stop trusting random people

Like Glaciers said, this isn't even a scam. This is literally your own negligence.

but you are random people too, so why would we even trust your "do not trust random people"    oh god i miss the trollface emote so much q.q

9 hours ago, foscor77 said:

Ok you might say that im freaking stupid to trust someone who i talked for only 30 minutes but banana seemed like a fun player to play with, i mean we talked a lot and one usually develops a little connection and trust with someone you talk to and find similarities with and i had never thought that someone would do so much planning in a damn game just for scamming.

Well, 30 mins for a legendary is not much.

I lend legendaries all the time. Both to friends and people I barely know. Ive yet to be burned, but anytime I hand one over I know I'm taking the risk of never getting it back.

you wouldn't believe how far scammers are willing to go

the first and last dude that scammed me talked to me for like a week about how bad he wanted to try the cap40

I knew damn well he was going to scam me, I just gave in because that would finally shut him up

and if you haven't played apb since, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\APB Reloaded\APBGame\Logs and see what's in TempChatSessionFile 

Edited by ezmegaz68
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this