MattScott

July 2019 New Content (for release with the Engine Upgrade)

Oh boy, time for more crazy unnecessary shotgun changes!  Remember when G1 practically gutted all the shotguns and well had to readjust and now we're kind of - sort of (not really) used to them now? 

When a weapon class even slightly drops in fidelity, no one will use them except for people memeing and maybe newbies and / or dedicated players to that weapon type..  We've seen this happen before lol.

2 minutes ago, Acornie said:

I missed it too, I agree with you and @Kewlin and everyone saying changing them to not be 2 shot anymore is a completely unessecary rework. I unsterstand trying to fix gunplay is important but tweaks > total reworks. #keepmuhJGandCSGtwoshot

i just don't understand the reasoning behind lengthening the jg/csg ttk, which makes corner popping almost mandatory, and at the same time adding shots to kill, making corner popping less effective

the thunder has a 1.02s ttk atm, if thats transferred over 1:1 to the jg and the csg will be even higher then we're pushing into rifle/sniper ttk with guns that have 25m ranges 

3 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

i just don't understand the reasoning behind lengthening the jg/csg ttk, which makes corner popping almost mandatory, and at the same time adding shots to kill, making corner popping less effective

the thunder has a 1.02s ttk atm, if thats transferred over 1:1 to the jg and the csg will be even higher then we're pushing into rifle/sniper ttk with guns that have 25m ranges 

In LOs defense, they weren't just making shotguns 3 stk but were doing a number of other adjustments to shotguns.  CSG-20 TTK would go from 0.77 sec to 0.78 for example.  Matt will have to post the thing to show more detail though.

1 minute ago, SkittyM said:

In LOs defense, they weren't just making shotguns 3 stk but were doing a number of other adjustments to shotguns.  CSG-20 TTK would go from 0.77 sec to 0.78 for example.  Matt will have to post the thing to show more detail though.

if the jg and the csg are going to get a ttk like that then the shotgun class will be a muddy mess - the shredder, jg, csg, nfas, and thumper all operating in the same range niche and with the same mechanics

there will inevitably be a meta option (my guess is the shredder, with the thumper becoming the "new nfas") and all the other guns will be relegated to the garbage pile

cant wait for the $50 strife meta, since its the only 2shot cqc option

Bring back the N-TEC 5 from 2012, is the most balanced version of the weapon :^)

I promise to post more complete info on the Weapon Balance. Let’s not get too hung up on the ‘current balance’ verbiage. Nothing is going to happen in a vacuum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Called the RFP nerfs despite the downvotes from the community.

Probably people who bought the Fang and trying to claim it's totally fine. The thing is busted; when was the last time any of you even heard the ACT 44 go off or any magnum? Good riddance.

Thank you, Matt & LO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All the side to side, jump around, never miss,  kills your whole team  "corner popping" shotgun players are mad?

Gee wonder why. Can't GG EZ as well with a reduced TTK even if you're running your triggerbot can't ya? Haha noobs. Cry. Love it when closets cry over the shotgun so EZ to tell who is who just by the way they lament. Oh nobody as in "specified" was hackusated as per forum trash rules. GGEZ closets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

convoluted deployable ammo box grenade resupply rate versus grenades no longer classified as ammuniton and now having cooldown timers

I really like the suggested changes for Radar Jammer & the EMP grenade. I love the adding of new tactical options to the game to make it more diverse.

• Like 1

dang that oca shits like a replicka of an mp5 thats 9milimeter doe should be firin fast like a chayn gun not none dat stapler shite dawg wtf? ? 

• Like 1

Changes I want are broadcasting bans and FFBans to be brought back. That would be awesome. 

• Thanks 1

Proposed shotgun changes are:

JG-840 - The baseline of the proposed balance is the Showstopper "Thunder", which is by far the most consistent and least irritating shotgun to use in the current balance. Having the stats almost 1:1 transfered to the JG forms a great baseline for the balance of all other shotguns. Changes made compared to the Thunder is evening out the spread at 10 metres and reducing the TTK to be competitive in CQC.

CSG-20 - The CSG has been modified to follow it�s design concept as being moderately longer range and more forgiving alternative to the JG, at the cost of being slightly slower to kill. As with all guns in this pass, the spread has been reduced, as well as the pellet count to match.

NFAS-12 - The NFAS is a tricky one to get a good balance on. It is specifically designed to be a spray-and-pray kind of weapon, but currently it is far too effective with the 0.58 second TTK (making it the second or third fastest killing weapon in the game stat wise, depending on how you count the "True Ogre") We reduced the NFAS's spread the least (save the Showstopper and Ogre) in order to accomodate the original design, but the damage has been reduced to make it a 4 STK and the fire rate increased to bring the TTK to a competitive but not dominating 0.72 seconds. Statistical effective range has also been adjusted to match spread.

NFAS-12 "True Ogre" - The "True Ogre" is also a difficult weapon to place in the balance due to the ideal way to play it: wait around a corner for the spin-up to complete, then pop out to use the 0.4 second TTK to kill anything before it can even mathamatically compete. To solve this issue we have greatly reduced the spin-up timer and increase the TTK by adding another shot to kill, with very little over-damage, meaning realistically it will be a 5 STK. This weapon is going to need a lot of testing, and may need the most tweaking to get the balance right.

Shredder - The Shredder remains largely unchanged save for a slight reduction of TTK, evening of damage values and the general spread decrease with corresponding pellet count decrease.

Strife - The Strife currently suffers from an insanely high TTK, not just by CQC standards, but by weapon standards overall. This is the only shotgun to remain a 2 STK, but the damage has been reduced with the fragile modification in mind, removing the ability to kill users of that mod with one shot. The fire interval has also been greatly decreased to 0.9 seconds, though this may be subject to further change if deemed necessary.

Showstopper - The base Showstopper stats have remained largely unchanged, save for adjustments for linear pellet damage. In addition to this, some other strange stand-out decisions were reversed. Reload time is increased to be more in line with existing shotguns, and range has been reduced to account for it's secondary weapon status. The Minimum Damage % has also been brought in line with all other shotguns in game. We will be evaluating the Thunder more thoroughly to determine what changes need to be made.

glancing over the proposed shotgun changes, I can't help but see it as another missed opportunity.  historically (and in chronological order) APB has had 3 different shotgun damage models

A) center pellet high damage / cone of pellets low damage

B) all pellets same damage

C) first pellet to hit high damage / cone of pellets low damage. 

All of these models have already been codified and implemented into the game.  WHY NOT have all of them active at once and give individual weapons more personality??  They all have downsides and upsides and can be used to further dial in the range and role of the specific shotgun. Model A rewards good aim but also rewards good evasion, as glancing hits don't get frags, Model B makes consistent closer range damage output and Model C makes consistent longer range damage output.   Combine that with the damage dropoff (either linear or curved) and we can have something like this:

JG - medium cone of fire + all pellets do same damage w/ range 20m

CSG - small cone of fire + first pellet to hit does most damage w/ range 30m

NFAS - large cone of fire + center pellet does most damage w/ range 10m

Copying the JG stats off the showstopper's stats just seems like copping out. IMO. SMH.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

I promise to post more complete info on the Weapon Balance. Let’s not get too hung up on the ‘current balance’ verbiage. Nothing is going to happen in a vacuum.

Please don't do this.
For all their faults, this community has a penchant for sniffing out incoming BS. There's always going to be turmoil, but I'd pay it some mind before dismissing it altogether.

• Thanks 1

Hello,
I'm really unhappy with the changes made to the Shotguns especially the CSG. The new pellet system that aims to be more forgiving is undermining the Skill needed to land Fullshots by Shotgun Professionals, giving less experienced players an "Edge" of landing a Fullshot even if they are not Accurate Enough to do so. I believe the CSG was just in the right and perfect condition for it, after years of struggling to fix its "Ghost Shots", Its Damage was too high when it came out at 800 hitpoints, then nerfed to 650, then 600 which was when the Shredder was introduced, then buffed again to 650 hitpoints which I have no complaints about whatsoever. The main Edge of the CSG was it's Range, having 20 meters of effective Range was it's strongest point and had its own gameplay advantages to create unique maneuvers.While the JG had higher Damage with slightly lower Range, it offered a unique taste to each weapon, each having its own scenarios to shine. After this change, both weapons sit at the same Range of 10 meters which makes the JG a far more better pick than the CSG for an Increased Damage and an Increased Chance of landing more pellets because of its wide spread at such a Range, without the necessity of perfect accuracy. Even Though the CSG-PR1 offers Improved Rifling 3 to increase the Range to 17 meters, it's still not worth sacrificing the Increased Reload Speed on the CSG-RT1 for it, which is totally needed in close quarters encounters, and for overall, a better experience.I believe this change to Shotguns was totally unnecessary for the reasons I stated above.

Main Points:

1. Undermining the skill needed to use Shotguns.
2. JG Shotgun now having an edge over the CSG by having more damage, better spread at close range, ability to put 3 modifications on it while the CSG either you go for Range and pickup the CSG-PR1 but sacrifice Reload Speed (which the JG will still have because it can be modified) or go for CSG-RT1 which will give you faster Reload Speed but still Outshined by the JG because it can be modified.
Also I'm not entirely sure, but I think there was also a slight delay added between firing to increase the Time-To-Kill which is sudden after all these years, where people are used to the old firing rate, so the weapon sometimes Jams, and I think that too is totally unfair for a gun that cannot be modified while it's expected to Rival JG, and all SMGs which all can be modified, And it's only Edge which was Range over these weapons is now gone.
I Hope this makes sense to you, and the shotgun changes especially for the CSG to be reverted.
Thanks.

Edited by Kittaa

I have absolutely no issue with car gameplay or spawners and I have no idea what you mean when you say it’s a complaint and the EMP sounds like a terrible idea that would truly have potential for abuse before any type of current car gameplay 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

My July blog is up here:

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/7/23/content-update

We've talked a lot about the Engine Upgrade, and even though I know many players are excited, I don't feel like a visual and performance update is enough to get players excited about the future of APB. So this month I'm revealing a lot of our new content plans for the main game.

julycontacts.png

NOTE: A lot of the design elements are subject to change as they are still in development.

Feel free to leave feedback in the comments below.

Thanks,
Matt

What about NEKROVA MIGRATION already? Can you please give us anything about it

Whats the point of new contacts if youre gonna play the same boring missions over and over again? Its what I was afraid of when I saw "new content". I wanted new content to be new missions or districts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I like everything i read here except for the ogre

I though ogre was supposed to be extreme power with extreme downsides.

Seems like you guys are trying to make ogre more of a casual weapon, im not sure that's great to having a wind up to get a 4-5 stk shotgun, it sounds super bad doesn't matter how fast it shoots 🤔

i just wish the changes were reversed to pre-pellet scaling stats when it was good at doing what it's made for, and bad at everything else.

Also what about the DOW ?

Edited by Ketog

Oh boy where to start,

1.Engine upgrade - no comment for now (we still don't have apb on xbox/ps4 in kanga)

2. Riot skins coming to armas next week

I'm on limited g1c so this has 0 effect on me (unless they do more free g1c events) but good for those people that wanted the skins, 

guess it'll make it harder to get a group of 8 together to get the skins when you can just buy em.

Make riot start with 4 (for jericho) even during peak no one wants to join riot waiting for it to start.

3. "new contacts" Yeah we all knew about them years before this the unfinished G1 content, No one loves Unreleased stuff like me but at least they aren't posing as "specalist contacts" auto unlocked? so yes or no matt, do we get a new rank or not? And they are techies so you gotta bring the 'gauntlet' gloves over it's all I need to be an armored display of solitary. In waterfront yeah this was expected as well (to fill those 2 empty spots in both corners) [Images below]

Lucas

xnD35Aj.png

Vfy5Pwf.png

ue0rXh4.png

Lynette

VLk9QSl.png

2badjF0.png

PbJKjUw.png

4. EMP, I just don't like it at all. (*cough* apex is getting an emp grenade soon)

Another one of LO's "Things that don't suit the style of apb" 

disables boombox ... ok?

Electrified cars, no doubt using the same "effect" you get when you destroy a boom box.

Take damage inside a car? at that point we might as well also have horses if windows no longer need to block damage No doubt this grenade doesn't consider the exploitability of spamming it (with a team of 4 max's) to kill vip's and spawn kill people inside cars.

Stop people from entering cars, that i'm fine with Nothing more annoying then tagging someone with a HVR just for them to hide in their Steelplate 3 armored engine 3 seiyo waiting for their hp to hit 100%

Alarms are silenced? what alarm? you talking about civilian cars?

Lights are turned off, does this include the turn signals? those are CRUCIAL for gameplay.

Vehicle no longer available for spawning into? how long does that last? you already get a 60 second cooldown when you use ANY car spawner's spawnpoint anyway.

Remote detonation can no longer be trigged, how quick is the grenades fuze then? considering how fast a car explodes when the owner is close to it.

The vehicle will explode if remote detonation is active? um what? so does that just do the same thing twice? or does it explode if you even have the mod equipped.

Mobile radar is disabled, for that to matter you also need to fix the "spawn near a radar tower perma tracked on radar" bug and grenades don't show up on radar (how long does the effect last?)

Accelerator is disabled, vehicle can still turn and break, but nto accelerate. I'm fine with this, Makes sure those damn crims stay and fight instead of running with the item (car surfer + emp gonna be some interesting gameplay)

A HUD message will show up showing that you are affected by EMP. I really hope it's RIGHT in the middle of the screen just like the "This item is not ready to use" message I love those kind of quality tested improvments to the HUD.

Certain flagged HUD Markers are no longer updated / shown on the screen and/or map: Tagger,Spotter,M-Radar Tower

Huh? what does that mean? and not a single change to radar jammer?

Potential additions:

Opposition Player (team-deathmatch)

VIP

no idea.

CHANGES TO CONSUMABLE/DEPLOYABLES

Disable or limit explosives from deployable ammo boxes

This could be a good thing but I'm unsure I mean the box DOES have a model that includes grenades so....

[image from my cap 40 guide of the ammo box with grenades in the top left corner]

hUeBCjD.png

Remove or limit inventory access from deployable ammo boxes

from what i understand "when ammo dips under 50% you can no longer make weapon or mod changes"

This could be hell for the "medium ammo box" which already has a low supply not sure how I feel about this, I main the "Citadel" so probably won't effect me much.

Connect mod active time to deployable active time

no, (for some mods) good idea to discourage spam though, Ammo box and med spray being the most obvious, but boom box? it already does 'basicly' nothing. For a blowtorch user this change will be a minor annoyance but for anyone using field suppliers or hud smacks (radar jammer and spotter) it could be hell.

CHANGES TO WEAPON BALANCE

[Sneak preview of on release footage thanks to SPCT]

tenor.gif?itemid=4963410

First of Phew! I finished my pointman role before this ballayya's inspired stuff started.

Before I start this HEAVILY biased response based on the fact I'm done with shotguns and won't touch them for another year (zole tradition I use 1 weapon role and only 1 each year) "Sure nerf away whatever makes it easier for me to fight shotguns have at it"

JG-840 - The baseline of the proposed balance is the Showstopper "Thunder", which is by far the most consistent and least irritating shotgun to use in the current balance. Having the stats almost 1:1 transfered to the JG forms a great baseline for the balance of all other shotguns. Changes made compared to the Thunder is evening out the spread at 10 metres and reducing the TTK to be competitive in CQC.

A 3 shot shotgun? But why?

"Changes made compared to the Thunder is evening out the spread at 10 metres and reducing the TTK to be competitive in CQC."

what does that mean? is the JG getting more damage or is the thunder? or something else.

CSG-20 - The CSG has been modified to follow it�s design concept as being moderately longer range and more forgiving alternative to the JG, at the cost of being slightly slower to kill. As with all guns in this pass, the spread has been reduced, as well as the pellet count to match.

The sniper rifle, Nothing i hated more then fighting a csg and having the person "claim" it takes more skill to use a csg then it does a Jg when the csg can consistently hit it's 2stk w

ith it's high accuracy (for a shotgun it's pellets are too damn neat)

Spread reduced? so it's more accurate the

Strife - The Strife currently suffers from an insanely high TTK, not just by CQC standards, but by weapon standards overall. This is the only shotgun to remain a 2 STK, but the damage has been reduced with the fragile modification in mind, removing the ability to kill users of that mod with one shot. The fire interval has also been greatly decreased to 0.9 seconds, though this may be subject to further change if deemed necessary.n a pmg at this point..

NFAS-12 - The NFAS is a tricky one to get a good balance on. It is specifically designed to be a spray-and-pray kind of weapon, but currently it is far too effective with the 0.58 second TTK (making it the second or third fastest killing weapon in the game stat wise, depending on how you count the "True Ogre") We reduced the NFAS's spread the least (save the Showstopper and Ogre) in order to accomodate the original design, but the damage has been reduced to make it a 4 STK and the fire rate increased to bring the TTK to a competitive but not dominating 0.72 seconds. Statistical effective range has also been adjusted to match spread.

This could be good, but is it enough to dethrone the nfas? "needsFurtheradjustedStats" 

Statistical effective range has also been adjusted to match spread. so less range ?

NFAS-12 "True Ogre" - The "True Ogre" is also a difficult weapon to place in the balance due to the ideal way to play it: wait around a corner for the spin-up to complete, then pop out to use the 0.4 second TTK to kill anything before it can even mathamatically compete. To solve this issue we have greatly reduced the spin-up timer and increase the TTK by adding another shot to kill, with very little over-damage, meaning realistically it will be a 5 STK. This weapon is going to need a lot of testing, and may need the most tweaking to get the balance right.

Shorter spin up timer? me likey 'But I thought you used you don't use shotguns anymore?' yeah yeah, but nothing's more fun then kev3 ogre in asylum. Extra shot to kill? maybe that's ok.. again 0 effect on me as i won't be using shotguns/smgs for another year "2020"

(which reminds me I need to reorder my guns so smgs/shotguns are at the bottom.)

Shredder - The Shredder remains largely unchanged save for a slight reduction of TTK, evening of damage values and the general spread decrease with corresponding pellet count decrease.

Ah yes the "AA-12" possibly my favorite shotgun model an excellent flat canvas to paint on or just scratch in the number of times your shredder has been called "op" "A shotgun that can destroy cars and can be used out the passenger window? Don't mind if I do"

More accuracy and slightly better shooty shooty  to crims go to sleep time ratio and spread decrease more accurate shotguns sounds good for the shredder at least.

Strife - The Strife currently suffers from an insanely high TTK, not just by CQC standards, but by weapon standards overall. This is the only shotgun to remain a 2 STK, but the damage has been reduced with the fragile modification in mind, removing the ability to kill users of that mod with one shot. The fire interval has also been greatly decreased to 0.9 seconds, though this may be subject to further change if deemed necessary.

"...but the damage has been reduced with the fragile modification in mind, removing the ability to kill users of that mod with one shot."

I'm so against this change here's a gif.

giphy.gif giant nerf gun.

As a fragile person myself I don't like this change maybe just barely 1shot to kill (takes 100% damage to 1shot) but just removing the 1stk on fragile completly just feels wrong.

(I guess that 1 guy who uses nothing but fragile and gives out misinformation will love this change Y00U know who I'm talking bout)

Fire interval decrease? meh, whatever floats ya boat.

Showstopper - The base Showstopper stats have remained largely unchanged, save for adjustments for linear pellet damage. In addition to this, some other strange stand-out decisions were reversed. Reload time is increased to be more in line with existing shotguns, and range has been reduced to account for it's secondary weapon status. The Minimum Damage % has also been brought in line with all other shotguns in game. We will be evaluating the Thunder more thoroughly to determine what changes need to be made.

Ah yes the classic "sell an OP weapon as a legendary for a while then nerf it after" Looking at you Yukon, even though I only use the Thunder it makes me wonder how these changes feel on the jokerstore/aramass version,

Reload time increase, it needed it.

Range reduced, Yeah it was fun while it lasted and frankly it was obsurd.

In addition to shotgun changes, we are also proposing some changes to be done to individual weapons that currently suffer from serious balance issues.

RFP-9 - The RFP, especially the 'Fang' variety with Improved Rifling 3 is currently the go to for all long range secondary engagements. Every other alternative: ACT 44, Colby RSA etc.. is completely irrelevant. The recommended changes are:

RFP-9: drop off starts at 40m with 1.05 sec TTK

ACT 44: drop off starts at 70m with 1.5 sec TTK

Colby RSA: drop off starts at 70m with 1.7 sec TTK

The trend for secondaries is that the less range, the less TTK. Roughly following that trend, we are nerfing the RFP by bringing its TTK up to 1.4 seconds and making it a 4 burst (increasing skill ceiling). This should hopefully also increase the usage of alternative secondary weapons.

That's not what i would do to RFP, I saw the "rtw" burst fire intervals a while back when g1 released the "Old weapon stats districts" and I'd rather the RFP go in that direction, make Bursts slower and more accurate to use rather then just "use 1 more burst"

ignore past the 14 second part, This is the ROF decrease i wanted for the rfp, keep the fire interval the same so you could "stream bullets" but each burst should be this slow.

drop the act 44 to 60 meters, keep the RSA at 70 (or even 75)

or not, again I don't use the act or rfp, (rsa once in a blue moon)

OCA - The focus here is to revert the OCA to the pre 2014 buff in order to bring it in line with most other short range close quarters weapons. Look at the 'Colby PMG 28' for comparison. It comes with higher damage per shot, a smaller magazine size, more bloom, slower fire rate, yet more range. The OCA is much more forgiving, therefore it should not be faster to kill players. This was previously planned to be a part of the weapon balancing of 2018, but was scrapped due to the amount of focus/attention on shotguns.

Thank you, 
Matt

Hell it was about time, I've been Bit* providing counstructive critisism about the "accuracy" buff the OCA got out of nowhere which just made an already meta weapon even better.

Right now I'm off to test every object in riot to see if The cap40/cmd can pierce it.

20 minutes ago, anUglyBaby said:

Haha you been nonchalantly lamenting about the changes cause it bothers you to the core. Sure you will just switch guns. I know your type even if you aren't using your in-game name here to safe face. You can find me under the same name in-game. 😎  

i actually rarely use shotguns because even now they suck (thanks for that orbit btw)

ive never seen you ingame afaik, going to assume your drooling idiocy is limited to the bronze districts that i cant join

edit: btw this is my ingame name

Edited by Glaciers
edit
  • Like 1

Hello, not gonna comment about the other weapons balance but if that's what you have in mind for weapon balancing especially for shotguns I'm glad to tell you that this game will die sooner than you think with how you're ignoring what the players have been saying over and over like reverting the shotguns to the pre LO weapon changes, all shotguns were 100% fine. If anybody had any problems with them, that was just them having a really bad aim. 

The two main shotguns that everyone who really knows how to play this game care about worked as inteneded, jg was always better in closer ranges than the csg even though the csg still had a close RoF to the jg, and the csg was always better in longer ranges than the jg, there was no need to nerf/buff/rework anything.

Aside from having good server, client performance and stuff to grind in this game I think the gun gameplay is the most important thing to consider when someone wants to enjoy a shooters game, and if you don't realize how bad you're ignoring players and how bad you're doing on balancing (fucking)  weapons thinking that you're the one with the better future vision for this game, well... You're done for.

I'm just here watching you fuck up time after another with not a single remarkable positive change, even some people would think that this isn't a fuck up yet, It actually is a fuck up to even introduce these ideas a begining for weapon balancing.

Get your shit sorted please.

Aaah the push-back. Dip your toes for a little bit to get bitten already. I haven't seen and tested anything yet (because it isn't available yet), so I guess I can reserve this reply for an updated opinion.
Everything that comes to this is always divided opinions and better yet, it's opinions without even getting their hands on the actual testing first! Whoa, chill! I think that the shotgun changes, even if written as 3STK, might even itself out in gameplay, but how can I tell when I haven't even tried? Written is not the same as experience, so try and limit your criticality to when it's useful.

I don't buy some people's BS that EMP grenade does not 'match' the game... APB has so many divided opinions about it that it seems to have an identity problem. I see it as an opportunity to slowly grow the game and create a new meta, but until it proves otherwise, it stays to show that maybe for APB this is an opportunity to expand in different ways than to 'aim better at bad guy'.