Kylegrey2

engine upgrade effect on multicore cpu's

Im curious about the engine upgrade. From what i understand, it will have a beneficial effect for people with modern hardware. Multicore cpu's in particular. However, your benchmarks appear to be based on performance while driving around the map. Although simply navigating the apb world could use a bump in performance, my issues lie elsewhere... up close gunfights were smooth as butter when i was running a core 2 duo nearly 10 years ago, but with every hardware upgrade ive made, the gunfights get worse and worse. Running a 6 core amd, when in up close gun fights, everything stutters and freezes up horribly. I am curious to know what kind of hardware and software you are benching with and if you could show us what a face to face gunfight looks like with the new engine. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Kylegrey2 said:

I am curious to know what kind of hardware and software

from the last update

upgrade_benchmark.jpg

Stats were captured with MSI Afterburner using RivaTuner Statistics Server running on Ultra settings 4K resolution.

probably a safe bet to assume win10 was used

i'd also be interested in seeing legitimate gameplay with benchmarking details but as far as i know the engine upgrade isnt even on otw yet, idk if "regular gameplay" is possible with just spct and qa

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

from the last update

upgrade_benchmark.jpg

probably a safe bet to assume win10 was used

i'd also be interested in seeing legitimate gameplay with benchmarking details but as far as i know the engine upgrade isnt even on otw yet, idk if "regular gameplay" is possible with just spct and qa

Thanks. Lol i gotta learn to read more carefully 😛 that does answer one of my questions... on the edge of my seat waiting on the hardware specs and real gameplay results. Guess ill have to wait a little longer for that. Its a pain when driving a car feels like driving a motorboat but the gunplay is my real frustration with apb. Would be nice to dump my opgl for a shotty like in the good ol days but i dont have the patience for that with the game running as is.

Just now, Kylegrey2 said:

on the edge of my seat waiting on the hardware specs

maybe im reading this wrong but the hardware specs are right there on the chart

Wish they showed 1080p benchmark graphs as it puts more strain on the CPU.

8 hours ago, gogeo said:

Wish they showed 1080p benchmark graphs as it puts more strain on the CPU.

What

Just now, NotZombieBiscuit said:

What

Afaik, Ryzen 7 CPUs performed worse at 1080p and better at 4k.  Idk if this is still true however.

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

What

When running higher resolutions, gpus are the bottlenecks. When you lower the resolution, cpus become the bottlenecks. 

You're welcome. 

14 hours ago, Kylegrey2 said:

Im curious about the engine upgrade. From what i understand, it will have a beneficial effect for people with modern hardware. Multicore cpu's in particular. However, your benchmarks appear to be based on performance while driving around the map. Although simply navigating the apb world could use a bump in performance, my issues lie elsewhere... up close gunfights were smooth as butter when i was running a core 2 duo nearly 10 years ago, but with every hardware upgrade ive made, the gunfights get worse and worse. Running a 6 core amd, when in up close gun fights, everything stutters and freezes up horribly. I am curious to know what kind of hardware and software you are benching with and if you could show us what a face to face gunfight looks like with the new engine. Thanks.

6 cores 8 cores 12 cores 24 cores don't make any difference in this game. It's all about the first core and its IPC/ Speed of the CPU. Apb is mostly depended on core 1. Back in 2008 we didn't have 6 cores it was mostly 2/4 cores. So yeah that is why the game doesn't take advantage of most cores and this game doesn't use much of the GPU as well since graphics cards weren't that popular back in the day.

After all the useless patches this game became less optimized and broke in the process as well by G1. And this is the apb we know today a broken mess that runs like crap on high end gear unless you have i9 9900k on 5.1GHZ game will feel chopy.

10 hours ago, Gateron said:

So yeah that is why the game doesn't take advantage of most cores and this game doesn't use much of the GPU as well since graphics cards weren't that popular back in the day.

Graphics cards were actually more popular back in the day than today, which you can tell by the pricing of GPU's today.

In 2010 (when APB was released) you could buy a GeForce GTX 480/580 (which was the top dog GPU's in 2010) for only 499 dollars.

A top of the line GPU today, like the RTX 2080ti starts at 999 dollars.

Last generation of GPU's with "normal" pricing was back in 2012 (GTX 680 at 499 dollars).

GPU prices being driven up like that means that sales have gone down by quite a bit since then.

Edited by SuperConker
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperConker said:

Graphics cards were actually more popular back in the day than today, which you can tell by the pricing of GPU's today.

In 2010 (when APB was released) you could buy a GeForce GTX 480/580 (which was the top dog GPU's in 2010) for only 499 dollars.

Last generation of GPU's with "normal" pricing was back in 2012 (GTX 680 at 499 dollars).

GPU prices being driven up like that means that sales have gone down by quite a bit since then.

I think that's called inflation. 😏

1 hour ago, SuperConker said:

You know that GPU's have more uses then just gaming? It has been even more popular outside of gaming.  And no GPU sales hasn't gone down at all but higher. You know making a GPU that performs better then a older generation has to be made from scratch. There is a reason a 1080 TI is 241% faster then a 680. Making a CPU or GPU chip smaller to 7 or 14mm also costs a lot of R&D but also increases performance and needs less power. Hence the price increases.

Also so long AMD can't compete with the higher end cards of NVIDIA they can charge these prices for the flagship cards. But it seems to get to a end to the era with the 5700XT series card of AMD.