polotow

potential fix to dethreating

Something needs to be done, this is simply an idea I had..

Why not just lock people to the threat they get for some time... 
So if you're a silver and turn gold your threat will get locked for a week for example. After the week it is unlocked. You could dethreat, but lower threats wouldn't lock. If you however go gold again, you would get the threat locked on gold for another week. 

Also for example a timer that would force people into districts according to their threats or social.

Overall I think that this would help out the completely new people and give them a chance to go against people with similar skill. 
Sadly it wouldn't protect against smurfs and the amount of smurfs could potentially increase with this idea.

• Like 2

I mean they sort of already have the means to make this happen, wouldn't require much.. so why the heck not? Either git gud or get out 😛 (when going gold 🤪)

• Like 1

Making people aware of the responsibilities they have towards this game would make much more sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eisena said:

Making people aware of the responsibilities they have towards this game would make much more sense.

Do you mean the players?

I am so tired of repeating myself.

District Threat segregation is the reason why Dethreating started to become a problem at all.

Matt Scott said Dethreating is symptom of a bigger problem (either the threat system or matchmaking needs a rework if not both).

And you said it yourself that smurfs would increase, well if people are willing to put in the time and effort to dethreat, why wouldn't they just make a new account?

Bare in mind that further separating of threats would make district populations appear lower despite the total population number not changed.

Dividing district numbers by 3 may make further players leave as they perceive the lower player numbers as APB is dying quicker.

Credit where due, as a short term fix it should work.

But it is drastic, it would have to be very temporary and not greatly effective for long. And while I want to help new players, as a veteran player, it feels alienating.

Other new players have suggested this idea countless time to the forum, It partly feels like an excuse now to just punish veteran players for just being better at the game out of spite and frustration, even if it is unintended to paint all high threat level players with a broad stroke paint brush.

• Like 2

Force open conflict 💁‍♀️. Anyone can join, no one is judged by their threat.

I don't know how the matchmaking there was/is, but imo it's a better solution than "The only lasting solution that I can see is to launch 3.5, merge all the worlds, and finish implementing cross-district phasing, so that we can match players across all districts / regions. This will move all 8 players to the "best" district based on best ping and best tick time.". 🤔

Loading times are long as it is, in my eyes a bigger issue than dealing with dethreaters. 🙄

Work on bettering the matchmaking from there on out and while people are going to complain, because they will no matter what, at least it would be somewhat more fair and they wouldn't be intimidated by higher threats. IN A PERFECT WORLD of course... 😷

2 minutes ago, Saytaen said:

I don't know how the matchmaking there was/is, but imo it's a better solution than "The only lasting solution that I can see is to launch 3.5, merge all the worlds, and finish implementing cross-district phasing, so that we can match players across all districts / regions. This will move all 8 players to the "best" district based on best ping and best tick time.". 🤔

Loading times are long as it is, in my eyes a bigger issue than dealing with dethreaters. 🙄

Work on bettering the matchmaking from there on out and while people are going to complain, because they will no matter what, at least it would be somewhat more fair and they wouldn't be intimidated by higher threats. IN A PERFECT WORLD of course... 😷

Not to mention the whole thing would probably bug out like crazy + game crashes would increase drastically I feel like LMao if they were to actually do the merging thing and whatnot. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saytaen said:

Not to mention the whole thing would probably bug out like crazy + game crashes would increase drastically I feel like LMao if they were to actually do the merging thing and whatnot. 🤣

Open conflict didn't work as intended due to server populations being too low for it's unique match making system to work properly.

OC worked on the basis of hiding people's threats and ranks and mixing both side's with a balance of high and low rank/threat players, this would of balanced out both teams.

OC didn't work primarily due to the fact traditional districts still existed and why would anyone want to plan against randos when they can dethreat and know they can get easier opponents.

On top of this, OC was undermined if people grouped up and the matchmaking system didn't have much of a way to mitigate that.

Dethreaters are deterring new players form playing APB further, and innitial reports from SPCT is that Unreal Engine 3.5 reduces loading times of APB 2 or 3 times from that of Unreal Engine 3.0

Again Unreal Engine 3.5 should be more stable and unified as a code. the amount of bugs and glitches may initially be high but should quickly be ironed out more so overall.

3 hours ago, VickyFox said:

Unreal Engine 3.5 reduces loading times of APB 2 or 3 times from that of Unreal Engine 3.0

Idk, Imo. It sort of ruins the feel of apb, having to constantly load into a new server everytime u get a mission (And i know for a fact. it will be 10 times as bitter if the matchmaking then dosen't work) 

On 7/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, Saytaen said:

Do you mean the players?

Yes

God...

Barely anyone know how dethreating started and they make asumptions how to solve it.

Cant wait for this to burn down just as happened with weapons balance...

The quickest band aid i thought it was that once you reach a new threat you cant go back.

More simple than that impossible.

The hard way is fixing apb core problems and get population back so the skill gamma players appear and everyone enjoys back facing diversity of players and finally climb the stairs of getting good.

There wont be huge income of new players (getting into consoles, for me, was a new way to get new players because pc didnt receive many imo)... they will quit for many reasons. Care for getting back players who like/d apb.

I really doubt doing tricky things will keep new players when the ones already stay are leaving aswell. 

Its like having a restaurant with the floor full of shit and you pretend clients keep coming by putting tables, spraying fragrances, adding flowers here and there, painting the shit, putting signs "we are working to solve the shit issue enjoy ur meal"...etcs. will solve the core issue that is having shit in the floor and clients will keep steping on it, smelling it, falling on it, potential new clients will see that from outside and run as far as possible blah blah blah. 

Enjoy the shitty analogy 🤣

Edited by BlueB

Funny thread,  thank yall for the time and effort to post here...

But after many years debating with @VickyFox I kinda came to the same conclusion she has many years ago...

With the state of the current population on Jericho any and every suggestion we as players make will it be 2 late 2 save our sever or not?

Now let's throw another monkey wrench up in the air for debate..

We all know the DIE HARDS really like teamkilling that 1 person on their side for various reasons,  let's start giving them a REAL Penalty for it instead of demerits...

The 1st teamkilling we can let pass but the second teamkilling let's start giving the player who was tked the 2nd time BY the SAME PLAYER, should be getting his/her rewards for the match...(cash and standing score)....

Now if they keep getting teamkilled 3 times or more they can come off 1/3rd of their current in game currency..

I know most if not EVERYONE will hate this idea cause it's hitting you hard in the wallets.. 

Your attitude is gonna be this " I EARNED that cash why should i come off it?"

Simply don't teamkill that 1 person ..

Now if that 1 person is tked by everyone on his team 1 time then it will be considered a 3+ offense by the ENTIRE TEAM.... 

Kinda makes you mad reading this idea by now doesn't it???

Good.... Stop teamkilling....

40 minutes ago, cyral said:

Now if they keep getting teamkilled 3 times or more they can come off 1/3rd of their current in game currency

Terrible idea. Well all of it really. There will be those people that will purposely jump infront of ur car/bullets. To ruin ur day. This will be the ultimate weapon for trolls to use. 

The team killing honestly i haven't had the issue. (nor been one that did it) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyral said:

Simply don't teamkill that 1 person ..

While there are some groups of friends that just play together to troll, some may also get upset at a random player for just being there when their 4th friend wasn't ready and didn't make the team in the start of the mission.

There are more trolls that join their teams solo, just harass, team kill everyone else or put in attempts to sabotage the mission for his own team.

Then there are some new players that just won't listen or understand what is going on.

If an individual is made a team leader by the game then they cannot be kicked by the team, a request can be made to be team leader but that can be declined or ignored... and what do you do then when they're throwing the game?

• Like 1