gordIsMyName

RIOT is 1.5x more popular than Fight Club

@MattScotthad a quick discussion on Discord and made the statement...

"our stats show that RIOT is 1.5x more popular than Fight Club"

i was pretty surprised by that. i wonder how that was determined? unique players? finished matches?

in other words, was it an "apples to apples" stats comparison or derived/concluded from assumed data points?

• Like 2

A difference of 50% can easily be achieved with a player base as small as ours. My guess would be a comparison of time spent playing.

5 minutes ago, Eisena said:

A difference of 50% can easily be achieved with a player base as small as ours. My guess would be a comparison of time spent playing.

i could believe that, i know several people who just pop into fc for a match or two as a warmup before missions - compared to waiting for riot to start and the length of the actual matches 

plus fc isn’t anything new, people who don’t like it are well aware that they don’t like it, compared to riot getting 40% of the active population trying it out

RIOT is way more fun than FC.

And it'll be even better when they undo that shitty radar change in the final stage. 🙂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tigrix said:

RIOT is way more fun than FC.

idk at a certain point it’s just preference 

the way i look at it is fc has all the problems that normal apb has, whereas riot has all the normal apb problems plus riot specific problems - just too many issues for me personally

A new mode is more popular than an old one? What is this false equivalence?

How long has riot been playable, 2 weeks?

I bet if you had the stats for fight club over the past 8 years fc would be more popular than riot.

This statement is just as bad as "I got banned by fair fight too lol".

2 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

idk at a certain point it’s just preference 

the way i look at it is fc has all the problems that normal apb has, whereas riot has all the normal apb problems plus riot specific problems - just too many issues for me personally

Well, I don't think they're competitors at all. Mission gameplay is still nr.1 and should hopefully soon get a well earned make-over with new contacts and stuff to earn.... (i hope)

Riot and FC are two completely different game modes that compliment the game well, in each their own way imo.

For me, FC is a place to chill and test whatever specific weapons/mods and/or braindead farming kills.
Riot is fun because you're challenged using weapons and mods you wouldn't normally use/combine and somewhat plan your route while making decisions on the fly

whether to engage to go for positioning etc.

Also nice being able to spectate and hopefully something they can implement to more parts of the game.

Hi all,

I want to make sure my comment isn't taken out of context.

During a chat I was having on unofficial Discord channel with the players, the subject was brought up "Why don't you just kill RIOT?" (I'm paraphrasing)

I gave the stats and analysis that we found as a response.

For clarity, the actual stat I gave was based on analyzing the same period of time and matches played across Fight Club and RIOT.

During that period, for every 100 unique accounts that played a match in FC, 150 unique accounts played a match in RIOT.

There was no comparison on matches per account or total matches across each mode because the length of matches varies a lot.

I tend to agree with Tigrix that none of these modes are in competition with each other. Players all have their own preference.

I felt our research was worth mentioning, because the forums can be an echo chamber for a relatively small percentage of the community.

If RIOT wasn't getting any traction, then Little Orbit would simply remove it.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, MattScott said:

well, most of its traction is because it's the only piece of content the game got for like 5 years, so people play it because atleast it's something new...

but as multiple polls on this forum already showed, more than 50% of the community dislikes RIOT.

(even people who dislike it play it. I played it for 3-4 days too when it came out - and even had fun doing it. but I still think RIOT was / is kind of a waste of ressources - except for the "learning" part that helped the team).

if I'd have any say in this, I'd discontinue RIOT but let it stay in the game untill you come up with a proper / big update for the main game... (or reworked RIOT into a planetside 2 like turfwar LUL)

• Like 2

So it usually seems like FC tends to have more solo players, to me it seems like being matched vs teams in riot is the biggest reason people give to why they dislike riot.

20 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

but as multiple polls on this forum already showed, more than 50% of the community 

46 minutes ago, MattScott said:

because the forums can be an echo chamber for a relatively small percentage of the community.

i think that was the point of this section

while i do think that the state of riot on jericho (and even citadel tbh) speaks for itself, it is important to remember that the forums are a very small percentage of even the active playerbase

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glaciers said:

i think that was the point of this section

while i do think that the state of riot on jericho (and even citadel tbh) speaks for itself, it is important to remember that the forums are a very small percentage of even the active playerbase

well I don't think it's that much of an echo chamber...
but I would like to see them post an official poll all over their social media accounts and get more accurate numbers, but I don't think it'll sway far away from what forum polls already showed.. I actually think that it'll be even more negative looking at how much hate there is in the facebook comment section towards APB and LO...

drop it down to start with 4 players, and i'll start it myself (jericho) fightclub can.

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I want to make sure my comment isn't taken out of context.

During a chat I was having on unofficial Discord channel with the players, the subject was brought up "Why don't you just kill RIOT?" (I'm paraphrasing)

I gave the stats and analysis that we found as a response.

For clarity, the actual stat I gave was based on analyzing the same period of time and matches played across Fight Club and RIOT.

During that period, for every 100 unique accounts that played a match in FC, 150 unique accounts played a match in RIOT.

There was no comparison on matches per account or total matches across each mode because the length of matches varies a lot.

I tend to agree with Tigrix that none of these modes are in competition with each other. Players all have their own preference.

I felt our research was worth mentioning, because the forums can be an echo chamber for a relatively small percentage of the community.

Thanks,

Matt

I dont think this helps what ever point was trying to be made.

Besides RHIOT being a new game mode and new content that which APB has not seen in a long time its not surprising it would have more people than older cemented game modes.

However, the "stats" given for this comparison are irrelevant from one another. The modes may not compete for players but they are certainly competing for their spot in the game. "If RIOT wasn't getting any traction, then Little Orbit would simply remove it." Can we not replace RHIOT with FC here? It was already suggested in the past FC could be removed before even seeing the community response.

The main point.

Why does time per account per game mode not matter? Even if you chose the "Average" game length/mission count, it would highlight its "popularity" far better than, "how many people joined for at least one mission and never played again."

If RHIOT had 10000 unique players but they all played for under 1 hour over the course of the time its publicly available. Would you consider that a success and consider RHIOT to be worth continuing on in the APB game space?

Separate to that, why are we comparing "Side" game modes?

Even without talking about hours per account, if you took the amount of players playing the "main" game mode, the main reason for playing the game or what the majority of the playerbase were playing and compared them with RHIOT. Wouldn't you get a better idea of what "traction" you have for RHIOT?

If 60% of people who played the games main game mode, played riot, would that not give you a better idea of how "successful" the game mode is for the game as a whole then trying to compare the niche player bases against each other?

Or Are we trying to move RHIOT to be the new centre piece of APB?

I love statistics as much as the next person and can appreciate the effort to prove to the small but loud parts of the community that the game is being treated right and parts of the community arent being arbitrarily ignored.

Again, however from what i see here and if it correlates to what was said on the discord server, i believe THIS particular research is not worth mentioning. I can not see This as an objective view of RHIOT's "success" or an objective comparison of its popularity.

Is this a loose justification for keeping RHIOT around as long as it is "more popular" than a game mode that has already been solidified by the community as something that can not be removed?

Edited by UubeNubeh DaWog
  • Like 1

Remove the ability to keep purchased weapons after death.

Edited by xHenryman90x

The only thing that's better about RIOT over Fightclubs is the fact you don't see nades in RIOT.

I can't say "make that happen in Fightclubs please" because that would make no sense, but then again it would be much more enjoyable.

Imagine playing RIOT LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I know it's the meme that the forums are not a significant part of the community, but there are 304 players online right now, and 95 people on the forums.

That's almost a third, that's not a small echo chamber, lol.

(Edit: Yes, I know it's an off-hour right now.)

Edited by Kewlin

3 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I hate you guys for making me read so much. 

you have too many forum posts to complain about that at this point

11 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

you have too many forum posts to complain about that at this point

... shit.

25 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I hate you guys for making me read so much. 

Or you could just stop being active on the forums like me, 'cause it's not worth it at this point.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Or you could just stop being active on the forums like me, 'cause it's not worth it at this point.

I've never been as smart as you though.

19 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I've never been as smart as you though.

that's a pretty low bar cooky, don't sell yourself short :^)

• Like 1

Im guessing that is more like "90% of the population did more riot matches than fight club matches"

But it didn't take into account that RIOT didn't kept it's population for more than two weeks while fight club has been going for years and never stopped.

This is harsh, but even at Citadel night it's hard to get a RIOT match.