CookiePuss

Bronze district should be ashamed of itself, and why in god's name is LO doing nothing about it?

58 minutes ago, MattScott said:

1) We are working on getting more GMs in-game to help

But this is not an effective solution. Just like drivers who slow down when a cop is around, they always speed back up as soon as he's gone.

GMs have an invisible mode, a follow cam (RIOT death cam), and a first-person cam (which is admittedly buggy as hell, but would give more than enough information for these purposes). All of these combined completely negates that excuse.

The real reason more GMs would be useless is simply because GMs are useless in general. They can't take action, because they have no power per your policy changes. If you were to give GMs actual power (as well as having oversight in case one abuses their power), then GMs would be able to fix this problem outright in less than a month.

All that being said, nice to see that you continue to remain consistent in your responses to this issue. Helps give credence to your promises, which is why we still stick around.

Edited by Hexerin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

Knowing the apb state you bring ur friends anyways, then complain in forums. Like come on, i really doubt you are that stupid.

I am not a very good friend. 

xc4Jg8M.png

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

This thread has gone long enough without a response from LO, so here is where I stand on this.

But this is not an effective solution. Just like drivers who slow down when a cop is around, they always speed back up as soon as he's gone.

2) LO is not ignoring this issue

Every solution we have discussed or seen discussed on the forums takes development resources and will compete directly with releasing the Engine Upgrade. I'm not opposed to spending dev time to fix dethreating. But from what I can see, all the ideas thrown around would take a couple weeks of dev time and players would find new work arounds in a couple days, which doesn't seem like time well spent.

3) Dethreating is an issue but its the symptom of larger problems

IMO, we need real change in the architecture of how players are matched. The only lasting solution that I can see is to launch 3.5, merge all the worlds, and finish implementing cross-district phasing, so that we can match players across all districts / regions. This will move all 8 players to the "best" district based on best ping and best tick time.

In this scenario players will simply choose the district type based on where their friends are, so they can mess around till a match starts. No spamming a district with 79 players to get the last spot. No visible threat segmentation. Once a match is ready, they all get moved. That way we can have golds fighting golds alongside bronze fighting bronze in the same district. The new phasing also allows us to spin up more servers dynamically, so we can add more Waterfront or Financial servers based on demand.

From there we can work on ways to improve the algorithm and incentive all players to reach Gold rather than dethreat to Bronze.

Thanks,

Oh nice. So essentially threat based districts wont be a thing anymore. Gonna be a lot of dethreater tears flowing on the forums when this gets put in. I guess my rant was bad timing. Gj on being progressive and thinking bigger than band aid fixing dethreating.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Signarly said:

Oh nice. So essentially threat based districts wont be a thing anymore. Gonna be a lot of dethreater tears flowing on the forums when this gets put in. I guess my rant was bad timing. Gj on being progressive and thinking bigger than band aid fixing dethreating.

this has been the plan since the week 1 Q&A session, i don't think anyone will be surprised by this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueB said:

Repeat after me: You cant change player skill.

tell that to any military personnel around the world.

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

This thread has gone long enough without a response from LO, so here is where I stand on this.

Every solution we have discussed or seen discussed on the forums takes development resources and will compete directly with releasing the Engine Upgrade. I'm not opposed to spending dev time to fix dethreating. But from what I can see, all the ideas thrown around would take a couple weeks of dev time and players would find new work arounds in a couple days, which doesn't seem like time well spent.

IMO, we need real change in the architecture of how players are matched. The only lasting solution that I can see is to launch 3.5, merge all the worlds, and finish implementing cross-district phasing, so that we can match players across all districts / regions. This will move all 8 players to the "best" district based on best ping and best tick time.

In this scenario players will simply choose the district type based on where their friends are, so they can mess around till a match starts. No spamming a district with 79 players to get the last spot. No visible threat segmentation. Once a match is ready, they all get moved. That way we can have golds fighting golds alongside bronze fighting bronze in the same district. The new phasing also allows us to spin up more servers dynamically, so we can add more Waterfront or Financial servers based on demand.

From there we can work on ways to improve the algorithm and incentive all players to reach Gold rather than dethreat to Bronze.

Thanks,
Matt

thank you for replying.

@MattScott Do you guys have any other changes/ideas in the works to help brand new players get settled easier/compete with players who have been playing for awhile? 

Enjoy load times. Enjoy players creating new accounts to troll starters. And probably more players leaving...

I say thats the band aid and not the solution to the real problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Enjoy load times. Enjoy players creating new accounts to troll starters. And probably more players leaving...

Are you saying that what MattScott said about phasing is a band aid? or am i misunderstanding?

19 minutes ago, Signarly said:

@MattScott Do you guys have any other changes/ideas in the works to help brand new players get settled easier/compete with players who have been playing for awhile? 

hopefully a better tutorial system so they can be trained more properly

24 minutes ago, BlueB said:

What do you suggest to fix the population numbers?

4 hours ago, MattScott said:

What I've said for years but a lot of people would only see and treat the symptom and not check for anything else underlying.

Yea LO shared long ago for the cross matchmaking.After 3.5 release..which probably not gonna happen till end of this year and this new matching-first half of 2020 if we are lucky.So enjoy current matching folks ✌️

8 hours ago, VickyFox said:

I don't think you realise how little veteran players would care for a bonus.

The richest players in game get more of a reward for what exactly? bare in mind this will knock on the marketplace making things more expensive for the newer players

Again with the hard approach to prevent golds joining, If a veteran wants to stomp on new players and troll then I don't doubt they'd be patient enough to take the 10 to 20 minutes to make a new account.

Cheaters do it when they get banned.

Separating threats with different districts is what caused dethreating in the first place!

That is why I don't think only a carrot will work. You also need to reduce / remove the incentive of doing the wrong thing (in this case dethrating).

Remember back when we had 30 threat levels? Elite gold players desperately tried to get to gold-10 and resorted to all kinds of silly tactics to get there (out of mission ghosting, 3rd party software cheating etc....) It was horrible. This was part why G1 decided to change the visibility of your hidden threat rating. Today we don't really see this behavior anymore. Success.  My point being that reaching gold-10 was sort of a "carrot" and it appealed to a big chunk of the elite gold veteran community. You just need to design the "carrot" correctly (the best "carrot" is to make the game more "fun"... preferable by always giving you close match-ups that are challenging to your character rating, in-game equipment, FPS and true skill level but not overpowering and can go either way at any time).

If you prevent golds from joining missions with vastly lesser skilled players in a F2P game like APB:R then you always have the risk of someone (like OP) creating a smurf account. With the current system you can stay in the bronze district and get matched against players in the district for a whole day even if you went gold many hours ago. But if you are also prevent people from joining missions with vastly lesser skilled players (by disabling the mission ready feature or by mechanically prevent matchmaking against vastly less skilled players by using phasing or some other method) much of the incentive to dethreat will be removed. It will just take maybe 3-10 missions for a stomper on a new account until he or she no longer will be matched up against vastly lesser skilled players and have to leave for the higher threat district.

48 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

What do you suggest to fix the population numbers?

What I've said for years but a lot of people would only see and treat the symptom and not check for anything else underlying.

Wouldnt it be easier to read a bit? It doesnt harm you, much...

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

Wouldnt it be easier to read a bit? It doesnt harm you, much...

BlueB what do you suggest to fix the population numbers?

2 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

hopefully a better tutorial system so they can be trained more properly

No tutorial can help someone to be good at this game. It just walks players through the basics, but whether to get better at this game or not it is entirely in the player's hands.

How do u expect the tutorial to be heh?

Ntec: 

This has been mentioned as "fire in short and controlled bursts to maintain maximum accuracy" in the loading screen.

Carbine: 

The joker carbine do not suffer accuracy loss/suffer a little while no marksman mode somethn like this in the loading screen

Percs: running outta ammo? Finish ur enemy by switching to a secondary wep or use a percussion nade to finish em.

Putting all this on a tutorial doesnt make em a better player. IT DOESNT.  Even if u put tips on how to play with every gun. It comes only by practice. 

2 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

yeah you missed  the point on what would help lol

plenty of games have good tutorials on how to do things in their games.

some have an optional obstacle course added to their tutorial to help refine skills

Just now, Fortune Runner said:

yeah you missed  the point on what would help lol

plenty of games have good tutorials on how to do things in their games.

some have an optional obstacle course added to their tutorial to help refine skills

I do understand what u're tryna say. Put it this way..there are a lot of tutorials on yt on learning coding. Literally hundreds of videos. Many ppl watch em, many practice em..only some become really good with it. It all depends on "how much dedicated you are in terms of learning somethn" do u deny that?

The same applies on games as well. The harder you work, the luckier you get. I believe on that.

Still think we need a PvE district. Some of us are silvers who get bumped up to gold even though they're not actually as good as a gold, simply because they had a few matches where they just did good. The entire thing is just one big sticky situation that would need to be carefully thought out and tested to fix, otherwise we may get more problems.

8 hours ago, MattScott said:

~words

Thanks,
@MattScott

While it's cool to see you actually reply and have something to say, with all due respect, until the engine upgrade actually is live, I'll believe it when i see it. Promising stuff that's even further out from the actual engine upgrade feels like you're just doing what G1 did. So many promises, never any results. Yet there's new guns on Armas. It's a movie every single person in this game has seen before, on repeat.

Please for the love of god hurry up and do something before it's too late sir. Thanks.

10 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Matt

THANK you !

• Like 1

Phew long thread is long, I just want to say that I only reason I enter bronze to play against golds. 

On 7/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, Ohshii said:

And that's the way the cookie crumbles in the land of APB.

This. This comment is so gold it should be the one ashamed to go near the bronze server.

13 hours ago, BlueB said:

You dont win in apb, just lose more slowly.

My favourite apb vid.

Winner chicken dinner. Bro Team Pill best video ever.

If a mod sees this, feel free to close the thread. We got a good response from Matt, no reason for us to keep arguing til the end of time.

• Like 1