MattScott

7/10 RIOT Update / Minor Jericho outage

Hi everyone,

Jericho Outage

Just a quick note to let you know that we are currently experienced a network outage with our provider that is affecting Jericho. 
It is not a DDoS, and we are still investigating with them.

New RIOT Changes

We aren't putting a lot of focus on RIOT, but we did solicit feedback from the community, and I wanted to follow through on that with a significant number of changes to the mode based on that feedback.

To be clear, if RIOT isn't your thing, I totally understand.

New RIOT Weapon Skin Reward

As part of the patch, we added more tiers and new skin. I recognize this isn't super compelling. I do feel like the Joker Ticket rewards are fairly valuable given the growing selection of permanent weapons in the Joker Store.

Just to be upfront, there are going to be three Japanese skins in total for RIOT. Yakuza. Dragon. Koi. They were all finished some time ago, and we decided to save them so we could give RIOT players something while we finished off the Engine Upgrade.

These are just meant to be fun rewards for those players that want them. You don't need to chase them if you don't want to. All three skins will be going onto ARMAS in a pack or possibly the Joker Store at a later date. 

Bad Math on tiers 6-10 of RIOT

Here is a quick note from LORider, one of our designers on a mistake with the new Tiers.

"Some of you have mentioned in great detail the issues regarding RIOT’s progression. Admittedly I did not take into account the time requirement for queues when finalizing the progression for the new tiers and as such the requirement to progress requires more time then intended. We are working on some back end changes that will more closely simulate a single queue system which will reduce the time required but until then I want to course correct on the pain of the wait times. In the next patch I will be lowering the contact threshold for levels 6-10 from a requirement of +17500 contact experience to +12500 contact experience instead. Any experience gained will be kept and reflected properly when we make this change. I am happy to receive feedback and hope to respond swiftly when able."

And some higher resolution art elements created by the artist responsible for the these three skins.

decal_yakuza_skull_cloud.jpg

Koi.jpg

Dragon.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

EDITED: I can't spell Koi. And added elements of the skins.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Appreciate the update Matt!

Will you be able to buy the skins account bound at a later date, or will they be character bound only?

Just now, Lord Cashpoint said:

Will you be able to buy the skins account bound at a later date, or will they be character bound only?

A big problem with the current riot system is that the skin reward is only character bound, doubt many people want to spend 50+ hours per character to farm the skin

6 minutes ago, Lord Cashpoint said:

Appreciate the update Matt!

Yes. You'll be able to buy account bound versions.

5 minutes ago, stargazer said:

A big problem with the current riot system is that the skin reward is only character bound, doubt many people want to spend 50+ hours per character to farm the skin

Understood. The current rewards are just for players that want them for free.

• Like 7

Appreciate you clearing things up. There's been a bit of misinformation as of late.

That said I'm still a tad worried I won't be able to play RIOT at all. I can't recall the last time I saw a single player waiting besides me on Jericho. I keep on popping my head in there to AFK for a while in hopes of making progress on that skin, but yeah. At most I'll have one other guy jump in briefly to ask if anyone else is waiting then bail. 

I think it really needs some sort of bonus incentives if you want people to bother. At least that's how I feel. Two skins is nice, but there's nothing to fill those rather large gaps inbetween that with. You get a few joker tickets and a small sum of APB$ for the time you spend there. That isn't substantial enough. I mean, I get it, you feel it has value, but if we don't see it that way we won't bother. Besides there's no reason to care when there are other sources of joker tickets that are more engaging, have better return, and offer other benefits such as progressing contacts simultaneously (or just screwing around in fight club and still earning a good pile of tickets)

Edit: tried to fix some stuff up. Not wholly sure if it makes sense or not. Have too much of a headache to care all that much. So I hope it does! If not I'm sorry for the nonsensical garbage. 

Edit #2: the skin being available in the cash shop down the line is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin it seems 😞 

Edited by Genobee
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

Jericho Outage

Just a quick note to let you know that we are currently experienced a network outage with our provider that is affecting Jericho. 

New RIOT Changes

We aren't putting a lot of focus on RIOT, but we did solicit feedback from the community, and I wanted to follow through on that with a significant number of changes to the mode based on that feedback.

New RIOT Weapon Skin Reward

As part of the patch, we added more tiers and new skin. I recognize this isn't super compelling. I do feel like the Joker Ticket rewards are fairly valuable given the growing selection of permanent weapons in the Joker Store.

Just to be upfront, there are going to be three Japanese skins in total for RIOT. Yakuza. Dragon. Koi. They were all finished some time ago, and we decided to save them so we could give RIOT players something while we finished off the Engine Upgrade.

These are just meant to be fun rewards for those players that want them. You don't need to chase them if you don't want to. All three skins will be going onto ARMAS in a pack or possibly the Joker Store at a later date. 

Bad Math on tiers 6-10 of RIOT

Here is a quick note from LORider, one of our designers on a mistake with the new Tiers.

"Some of you have mentioned in great detail the issues regarding RIOT’s progression. Admittedly I did not take into account the time requirement for queues when finalizing the progression for the new tiers and as such the requirement to progress requires more time then intended. We are working on some back end changes that will more closely simulate a single queue system which will reduce the time required but until then I want to course correct on the pain of the wait times. In the next patch I will be lowering the contact threshold for levels 6-10 from a requirement of +17500 contact experience to +12500 contact experience instead. Any experience gained will be kept and reflected properly when we make this change. I am happy to receive feedback and hope to respond swiftly when able."

Thanks,

Matt

The recent update brought Camera and mouse skips (Not stutters), Please look into that.

6 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Yes. You'll be able to buy account bound versions.

Understood. The current rewards are just for players that want them for free.

Any update on the stuttering issues some people are having? Check out this post:

31 minutes ago, MattScott said:

how many network outages does this make from a single provider? at what point is it unacceptable?

why put any focus on riot at all then? can we get the riot devs moved to making small fixes in the actual game instead of a garbage mode that even you don't seem to care about?

orbit's comprehension of player feedback continues to be spotty at best

• adding more contact levels when feedback says the grind is too grindy
  • giving everyone a wallhack when feedback says hiding is caused by horrible standing reward mechanics
  • adding more HUD information when feedback says the UI is already way too cluttered

and that's just from this patch

Just to be upfront, there are going to be three Japanese skins in total for RIOT. Yakuza. Dragon. Coy. They were all finished some time ago, and we decided to save them so we could give RIOT players something while we finished off the Engine Upgrade.

koi?

its nice to hear that i dont have to hang out in an empty riot district in a desperate attempt to get free skins, but this info probably also removes incentive for a lot of people to ever play riot again

15 minutes ago, cheater said:

Admittedly I did not take into account the time requirement for queues when finalizing the progression for the new tiers and as such the requirement to progress requires more time then intended

the amount of standing being lowered is helpful, but increasing the standing rewards for riot matches seems like it would have been better

will there be any changes to how standing is rewarded (or not rewarded in this case) with only the 2 last teams/players standing receiving any significant amount?

Edited by Glaciers
typo
  • Like 1

At this point the jericho provider has messed up so many times I would really encourage you to change if possible. If not now, maybe for after 3.5 since having them fail on you again after such a big update just musn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm just gonna repeat what I said on discord - RIOT is a complete disaster if it comes to execution.

Edited by Guest

"To be clear, if RIOT isn't your thing, I totally understand."

What??

Edited by Algoz

Just whose thing is RIOT exactly? I don't think I've heard anyone say it was good.

Edited by Kewlin

i read "Yakuza" skin and was immediately looking for a buy button 😉

i do hope more people are willing to play RIOT mode. i have been through a single match and had no idea what i was doing.

here's how it went....

i ran around with a pack of other players and we shot some people. then we died. then i came back and was resold my same weapons. i had on a toxic suit for a short time, then i had my original cloths back. then i died again when someone shot me through dense gas fog that no one could possibly see through.

i have no idea if the other people i was playing with knew what they were doing either. they seemed equally oblivious as to what was going on, but ran with a purpose, so i followed.

naked leading the blind... 🙂

i'm not opposed to the idea of playing something i wouldn't otherwise for a reward, but why would I grind my patootie off non-stop for a character-bound skin when i can get it later account-bound?

i haven't even been able to play riot on NA where all my maxed characters are, so continuing to play on my new eu character would mean that i don't get the skin on the characters i value most, which is just silly to think about.

Edited by Uru!

40 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Just whose thing is RIOT exactly? I don't think I've heard anyone say it was good.

riot is fun

30 minutes ago, Helix Reloaded said:

riot is fun

That was text, not talking, go away.

3 minutes ago, Helix Reloaded said:

i'm going to call you on discord

Okay, you proved your point, are you happy now?

Should people wonder what the new Dragon skin looks like, I was able to get permission to share a screenshot of it.

hVe18VA.png

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

Should people wonder what the new Dragon skin looks like, I was able to get permission to share a screenshot of it.

hVe18VA.png

nice, i like that one quite a bit more than the yakuza

any chance we can see the coy koi skin too?

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

nice, i like that one quite a bit more than the yakuza

any chance we can see the coy koi skin too?

I second that please

5 hours ago, MattScott said:

All three skins will be going onto ARMAS in a pack or possibly the Joker Store at a later date

And with that, I've lost all incentive to play the mode. I like RIOT and all, but even at peak times, it's nearly impossible to start on Jericho. Knowing that you can buy the skins later just removes all motivation I had to play it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leefekyn said:

And with that, I've lost all incentive to play the mode. I like RIOT and all, but even at peak times, it's nearly impossible to start on Jericho. Knowing that you can buy the skins later just removes all motivation I had to play it.

with the min players lowered to 8, we've had a couple back-to-back matches on jericho today

at least 8 total since ive been on

hell, we're playing right now

Edited by Helix Reloaded