whitecrystall

Possibility of Linux support?

First time posting on the forums despite being a very old legacy player, not sure why I haven't but i can't wait to get more into the community and look forward to being active on the forums. Nice to meet you all.

Now

When upgrading to the new engine perhaps Linux can be in mind? As far as i know Unreal engine can quite easily release binaries for Linux. FairFight is fully cross platform (from what i could find on their website) as well which solves what most developers struggle with the most when releasing for other platforms, anti-cheat.

Does the games code require Windows API or any platform locked libraries? If not i definitely see releasing for Linux as a beneficial step forward.

Yes we are a small community but here is why you should consider releasing for Linux:

• We would go crazy over the fact that another large game is giving us recognition, Linux people absolutely love getting their platform recognized.
  • The community would spread and advertise it themselves, within minutes of an announcement and release the news would spread to r/linuxgaming, r/linux, r/ubuntu, r/archlinux, discord servers etc. 
  • We're extremely vocal and helpful community. Linux people in general know more about their platform and will fix issues themselves and post solutions to various quirks on forums.
  • The market is less crowded.
  • Linux as a kernel provides greater CPU performance helping with the generally poorly optimized CPU-heavy code of the game.

I'm not expecting this to be a priority but please do keep it in mind.

I hope at least one of you listen, thanks for digging this game back up from it's grave and we look forward to seeing you make APB great again little orbit.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, whitecrystall said:

I am disappointed by the lack of interest, both from players and developers

Just get a real os mate

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind Linux support in fact I would love it. But the unfortunate reality is that APB would require a huge amount of players + income to even afford staff to build the game to support said OS. On top of dealing with the problems that the windows version already has to deal with and is already far far behind on.

The game barely even supports Windows and it's made for Windows, but in the future, I'd like to see them expand on the operating system support for sure.

13 hours ago, TheFreelancer said:

Just get a real os mate

Linux isn't an OS. Linux is better than Windows-NT in every single way, that's a fact. If you don't like the operating systems built onto Linux or the eko-system itself then that's fine we all have preferences. 

I'm a huge tinkerer, i want to customize everything, i want everything to be and function exactly the way i want it. For example, i never use mouse (outside of games). That's something i can't accomplish in Windows.

13 hours ago, Similarities said:

The game barely even supports Windows and it's made for Windows, but in the future, I'd like to see them expand on the operating system support for sure.

That's fair. The point is that they're redoing it in Unreal 4 which has brilliant native Linux support, so not using platform specific libraries for apb now that they're redoing it could be kept in mind

I would like to see this happen but I think their focus is mainly of getting the existing supported systems stable. So perhaps in the future if it is really that requested but it's mostly a time situation.