Sign in to follow this  
Zian

An open letter to MattScott and Lixil

When the day comes this all ends with a 404 I'll be one of those who'll consider it a sad day. No matter how much I play APB or not at that point, no matter what happened.  Unfair people? From the very first token exploiters to the last silly closet streamers... it won't matter. From heroic and canned GM's to unfair condoning GM's. It won't matter. I'll still be sad. 

You know why? I always liked APB. Not only that, when it was booming I met some great people, some of which I still don't know their IRL names and probably never will at this point, but my gosh, some people make a game you like simply awesome. And it had all the problems it has today back then as well. Nothing really changed.

Now I don't want to lecture anyone but if you want to take something from me, try this on for size; with any multiplayer game out there, any online multiplayer game, the forums are about fair play versus unfair play, no exceptions. Anywhere you go out there, you'll find fair players versus unfair players arguing, trolling, beating their own drumsticks. At some point things end, and wherever you might go next, you'll find this battle again and again, and again. Gaming companies themselves are very clever with statements on unfair play, they have to be. Unfair play is just everywhere and it is only getting more obvious. It never became less. On forums the people who are talking about it are the ones the most knowledgeable on it, the only difference in their posts is them being on the fair or unfair side. Trolling or not. 

The ones who really are full of themselves, are the anti-cheat companies, the companies which gaming companies rely on. From just laughable protection up to complete rootkits, from false bans to exposing most of a server cheating, from simple kicking removal to full hardware bans... it really never has been of any real help. People who claim otherwise have an agenda, because, if people want to, they will play unfair, in exactly the same way that people who want to play fair do play fair. Let's not even get into corruption of staffs, volunteers, profit margins and what have you. The point here is that all this crap didn't get games anywhere near what those companies advertise to us. Games need something new in that aspect. 

The only time online multiplayer games had near-perfect fair-play, was when hosting your own server was a thing. Basically this meant that you could kick anyone you didn't like playing with you. It's a can of worms in itself, but as far as this fantasy of fair play online goes that historically was the best available option. Of course you could host an unfair server as well. All up to you.

Enjoy the game, do not get caught up in the yes versus no nonsense. It is a big waste of your time. Understandable that people want to be heard. And yes, people know, but honestly, getting into it, is exactly what people who play unfair online want from you. The more you understand unfair play the more seducing it might become. Enjoy what you do, or take a break from it and do something else. That's the real power you have. Anything else you can think of, are just fantasy band-aids. A GM in game? Even hidden GM's are detected. Anti cheat? Laughable. At this day and age, no place out there is going to give you a full fair game, not a single game out there, unless you can host your own and decide for yourself who can play with you. No forum is going to fully side with you, whatever your stance is. Actually, trolling you is what many forumrites are waiting for. Maybe you need a certain age to see all this, but it's just what it is in 2019. 🙂

[/ok mom] 😹

13 minutes ago, Jazeker said:

When the day comes this all ends with a 404 I'll be one of those who'll consider it a sad day. No matter how much I play APB or not at that point, no matter what happened.  Unfair people? From the very first token exploiters to the last silly closet streamers... it won't matter. From heroic and canned GM's to unfair condoning GM's. It won't matter. I'll still be sad. 

You know why? I always liked APB. Not only that, when it was booming I met some great people, some of which I still don't know their IRL names and probably never will at this point, but my gosh, some people make a game you like simply awesome. And it had all the problems it has today back then as well. Nothing really changed.

Now I don't want to lecture anyone but if you want to take something from me, try this on for size; with any multiplayer game out there, any online multiplayer game, the forums are about fair play versus unfair play, no exceptions. Anywhere you go out there, you'll find fair players versus unfair players arguing, trolling, beating their own drumsticks. At some point things end, and wherever you might go next, you'll find this battle again and again, and again. Gaming companies themselves are very clever with statements on unfair play, they have to be. Unfair play is just everywhere and it is only getting more obvious. It never became less. On forums the people who are talking about it are the ones the most knowledgeable on it, the only difference in their posts is them being on the fair or unfair side. Trolling or not. 

The ones who really are full of themselves, are the anti-cheat companies, the companies which gaming companies rely on. From just laughable protection up to complete rootkits, from false bans to exposing most of a server cheating, from simple kicking removal to full hardware bans... it really never has been of any real help. People who claim otherwise have an agenda, because, if people want to, they will play unfair, in exactly the same way that people who want to play fair do play fair. Let's not even get into corruption of staffs, volunteers, profit margins and what have you. The point here is that all this crap didn't get games anywhere near what those companies advertise to us. Games need something new in that aspect. 

The only time online multiplayer games had near-perfect fair-play, was when hosting your own server was a thing. Basically this meant that you could kick anyone you didn't like playing with you. It's a can of worms in itself, but as far as this fantasy of fair play online goes that historically was the best available option. Of course you could host an unfair server as well. All up to you.

Enjoy the game, do not get caught up in the yes versus no nonsense. It is a big waste of your time. Understandable that people want to be heard. And yes, people know, but honestly, getting into it, is exactly what people who play unfair online want from you. The more you understand unfair play the more seducing it might become. Enjoy what you do, or take a break from it and do something else. That's the real power you have. Anything else you can think of, are just fantasy band-aids. A GM in game? Even hidden GM's are detected. Anti cheat? Laughable. At this day and age, no place out there is going to give you a full fair game, not a single game out there, unless you can host your own and decide for yourself who can play with you. No forum is going to fully side with you, whatever your stance is. Actually, trolling you is what many forumrites are waiting for. Maybe you need a certain age to see all this, but it's just what it is in 2019. 🙂

[/ok mom] 😹

This post is so articulate! I am in love. Okay love is a strong feeling to describe.

But I can't help but actually feel the positive behind the message. Thank you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zian said:

This post is so articulate! I am in love. Okay love is a strong feeling to describe.

But I can't help but actually feel the positive behind the message. Thank you.

To end my own little rant with a positive suggestion; I still believe matchmaking has a lot more power over the situation than what is used today. I believe that's also the reason why partly skill-based matchmaking gets hate from a certain part of any community. We'll see where this all goes I guess.

1 minute ago, Jazeker said:

To end my own little rant with a positive suggestion; I still believe matchmaking has a lot more power over the situation than what is used today. I believe that's also the reason why partly skill-based matchmaking gets hate from a certain part of any community. We'll see where this all goes I guess.

Oh the matchmaking has never bothered me. Especially since the population is so low that it's difficult to keep players of differing skill levels at a reasonable distance.

You win some, and you lose some. It's just frustrating when it becomes a real losing streak for many players, and not for the few who are obviously at an advantage in some way. Especially when it could be handled in certain ways.

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact that you've equated rank with skill, or the fact that you admit to reporting players for cheating simply because they were earning N5/P5.

Is this bait?

Are you trolling us?

If nothing else maybe LO will read this and redirect all your reports right into the trash. 

Had a gtx970 die on me and used an old gtx770 for a few weeks. 

Zero change in performance. 

I then swapped the gtx770 out for an OC'd rtx2060.

Zero change in performance. 

APB cares next to nothing for your GPU. 

while true for some others have a 200 dollar comp from the shelf so it makes a difference.

4 hours ago, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

Nothing new is happening here because of LO. Game may have been offline by now if G1 was in charge.

should've been tbh

1 hour ago, Zian said:

That is why Little Orbit changed anti cheats.

It's because they are doing their part.

As for legal action ;  A thread that I believe willy wonka made suggested this in that thread. or maybe it side railed to it i don't know for sure.

but in it i said that as long as Little Orbit could afford to , then I would be for legal action against those who make /use the cheats.

It is not an easy task to prove in a court of law and not all countries would recognize it regardless

1 minute ago, Fortune Runner said:

That is why Little Orbit changed anti cheats.

It's because they are doing their part.

As for legal action ;  A thread that I believe willy wonka made suggested this in that thread. or maybe it side railed to it i don't know for sure.

but in it i said that as long as Little Orbit could afford to , then I would be for legal action against those who make /use the cheats.

It is not an easy task to prove in a court of law and not all countries would recognize it regardless

That's a shame if the United States court system wouldn't recognize the financial detriment to a video game due to people running programs that are against its TOS.

Just now, Zian said:

That's a shame if the United States court system wouldn't recognize the financial detriment to a video game due to people running programs that are against its TOS.

United States does , however if the one making cheats is in Germany , then Germany will not .

Actual case involving Germany and Germany did exactly that.

Just now, Fortune Runner said:

United States does , however if the one making cheats is in Germany , then Germany will not .

Actual case involving Germany and Germany did exactly that.

Oh I mean for the people utilizing the cheats should also fall under persecution as party to a crime. Not just its creators.

3 minutes ago, Zian said:

Oh I mean for the people utilizing the cheats should also fall under persecution as party to a crime. Not just its creators.

Yes I know.

But most creators are outside the United States by what reports I have seen and that means they would be created still if their governments do not let them be punished for it like how Germany pulled that

Edit : google " cheat maker lawsuits " and a lot of hits come up on this

Edited by Fortune Runner

9 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

Yes I know.

But most creators are outside the United States by what reports I have seen and that means they would be created still if their governments do not let them be punished for it like how Germany pulled that

Oh yes, but it would deter the use of them in certain countries if the cheat consumer base of the programs is targeted directly. Throw a large fine and the potential for six months to a year jail time as punishment. It would make others think twice about taking advantage of it. It'd likely also make many parents extremely disappointed in their children for doing things like that. Especially if the financial information of the proven cheaters are tracked.

I suppose I am too hopeful for that. Though it'd really make this game a better place. But like Jazeker said, I just need to enjoy the game till it dies.

Edited by Zian

17 minutes ago, Zian said:

I know the makers of cheats deserve to be in court but I am uncertain how to feel and think of the users.

that's just me though.

6 hours ago, Zian said:

It's a privilege.

And if you abuse others while in a position of privilege, that privilege should be removed.

Privilege based on their merits.

They dont need to play nice, and as far as im aware they're held to the same standards as everyone else and that is ok.

A teacher earned their postion, they can still yell at you for getting things wrong.

A person with a PHD can still call you stupid.

A race car driver can still call you a bad driver or dangerous driver

A pro gamer can still call you a bad gamer.

Are any of these people under an obligation to "Be above" the average person? Nope. They earned their titles and are entitled to use them for their purpose.

Outside of that they have the same obligations as anyone else, so as long as they dont break the rules as much as anyone else, they're fine.

3 hours ago, Jazeker said:

[/ok mom] 😹

maybe it’s because it’s 2am here but is this just a lot of unnecessary words to present a couple of broad/vague statements for anyone else?

10 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

maybe it’s because it’s 2am here but is this just a lot of unnecessary words to present a couple of broad/vague statements for anyone else?

A lot of words to say. "You do you boo."

1 hour ago, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

Privilege based on their merits.

They dont need to play nice, and as far as im aware they're held to the same standards as everyone else and that is ok.

A teacher earned their postion, they can still yell at you for getting things wrong.

A person with a PHD can still call you stupid.

A race car driver can still call you a bad driver or dangerous driver

A pro gamer can still call you a bad gamer.

Are any of these people under an obligation to "Be above" the average person? Nope. They earned their titles and are entitled to use them for their purpose.

Outside of that they have the same obligations as anyone else, so as long as they dont break the rules as much as anyone else, they're fine.

Actually harassment is against the teams of service, and a moderator in another thread already said that volunteers and staff violating the TOS should be reported to staff so they can be dealt with accordingly.

Thus he is held to a higher standard in the eyes of Little Orbit. Sorry but you're simply just attempting to enable him in being despicable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zian said:

Actually harassment is against the teams of service, and a moderator in another thread already said that volunteers and staff violating the TOS should be reported to staff so they can be dealt with accordingly.

Thus he is held to a higher standard in the eyes of Little Orbit. Sorry but you're simply just attempting to enable him in being despicable.

Volunteers violating the TOS should be reported to staff so they can be dealt with accordingly, just like ANYONE else violating the TOS. The volunteers are literally held to exactly the same standards as everyone else. The TOS.

Maybe said volunteer didn't give you a constructive reply in this thread, but other people have.

And my opinion about "open letters" is best summed up by Google:

GLW4ZEJ.jpg

Edited by AsgerLund
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zian said:

Yeah I logged in yesterday. Essentially the entire game was a ghost town for a few hours with populations Jericho server in the single digits.

After that period of time things picked up, but it was still pathetic numbers. Some definitely hacking, others attempting to play legit. But of course it wasn't as though legit players really stood a chance.

This game has tanked worse under your management compared to the prior ownership, and it shows by your poor moderation to combat the cheating. Easily there can be a GM sitting in, and watching the district with how the population was. That action alone would generate good faith in players who are veterans to this game and have invested in its future in the past.

FALSE

If Jericho has less population the fault is directly conseguence of a G1 directive that put always europe players priority  below america players.

With this continued kicking in face of europeans by g1 the NA server lost a good 20% of people (european) that were nice and friendly more than gangsta kids around.

With this indirect spread of toxicity , APB in NA lost day by day americans player who really cared about community.

Butterfly effect.  https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effetto_farfalla

so many open letters - your putting the postal service out of business!

An open letter to this that and the next boring shit thing.

If you aren't having fun, why not try another server or try something else in game?

Missions not your thing? We have Riot (much as I loathe it), Fight Club and the creative side of the game found in the social district.

If that doesn't work, have a look at something away from APB for a while. You can always come back.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

its 9:30 am here.. I struggled to read it too.. Its very very general.

38 minutes ago, Fenton said:

If you aren't having fun, why not try another server or try something else in game?

Missions not your thing? We have Riot (much as I loathe it), Fight Club and the creative side of the game found in the social district.

If that doesn't work, have a look at something away from APB for a while. You can always come back.

I mostly prefer to finish one character at a time before starting another. I have already been gone for so many years, by choice. I don't want to lose the rest of my premium.

6 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

while true for some others have a 200 dollar comp from the shelf so it makes a difference.

Yes, as with any game if you do not meet the minimum system requirements the game will not perform well.

That's obvious, but your advice of recommending at least a 1070 is absolute nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Zian said:

Bruh you need to calm down. Your tilt is affecting your logic. 

It's the same standard as anyone else. Literally. 

Break the ToS, get punished. I've not done that so tough feminine features. 

11 hours ago, Zian said:

It's a privilege.

And if you abuse others while in a position of privilege, that privilege should be removed.

I'm going to have to stop you right there buddy. You seem to not understand what being a tester means. It is far from a privilege, it's not a fun thing, it's a duty at best and a chore at worst. Have you ever seen what testers/QA do? They run into every single wall they can find repeatedly to make sure you can't run through it. They jump at every conceivable object to see if they can get out of bounds. They hit every button combination on their keyboard to see if it makes the programme crash.

When we test, we're not playing the latest and greatest APB content before anyone else. You can barely call any of it playing at all. Half the time we're trying to reproduce crashes and getting detailed steps written down on how to do it so the dev team can fix them.

Sign in to follow this