Sign in to follow this  
ScLines

Little Orbit, please avoid predatory videogame monetization

On 7/2/2019 at 4:07 AM, ScLines said:

Okay. This is not exactly a new subject as Matt has seen the current anti-loot box bill that is still in the works. But there are other things that cannot be ignored and no excuses should be made when it comes to monetization that is addictive. Not sure if any of you have seen this video, but I recommend you watch this video in its entirety before commenting as it is important. Took me a few times to watch this whole thing and I wholeheartedly agree that gaming has kind of taken a dark turn compared to simple old days of NES, SNES, Genesis etc. You get the idea.

I bet some people will try to defend or ignore some of the facts stated in this video, but I think it is important that some changes have to be made.

This video is way to long for me to watch fully... But i heard something about ''Upselling'' Honestly... Thats how games work these days though.

1 hour ago, OfficerHot said:

This video is way to long for me to watch fully... But i heard something about ''Upselling'' Honestly... Thats how games work these days though.

The video is long for a reason. A lot of important facts and testimonials were put into that video to explain why monetization has been bad overall.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, ScLines said:

There are many games online you could say are free to play and they are not just limited to our smartphones stores on Android and Google Play. Go to miniclip.com and armorgames.com. Most of those have no microtransactions/lootboxes. You do not necessarily need microtransactions to make a profit if you have ads on a website etc. Speaking of which, I don't like unskippable ads in certain games that force you to watch just so they can make a profit but thankfully some let you remove that by paying a one-time fee for example in some apps/websites. Some games don't give you the option to remove ads when playing a game. Even with this, I still kind of disagree with those practices. 

no but they do have massive ads and  banners that sometimes are infected with worms and viruses etc.

who wants their comp or phone slowed down to a crawl from ads anyways?

plus wit ad blockers such places are shutting down from no revenue because it doesn't work.

Too bad. Because that's my opinion and stance on microtransactions/loot boxes. There's no option for those players that have shopping/gambling addictions to get hooked on these bad design/practices. Having them restricted to AO is not a bad choice in my opinion.

most players of F2P games are not playing AO games because most are minors.

and regardless of that , you do not have a workable solution for F2P to stay F2P but instead would kill F2P games

Because microtransactions/loot boxes are still worse designs/practices in a video game compared to subscription or paying a certain price just to play the game at all. This is just my opinion and that's not going to change for me. And if that new US anti-loot box bill/microtransaction does come to law none of us even you can argue against it very much now can we? Even if it wouldn't go through my opinion on loot boxex/microtransactions is not going to change.

that is an opinion and not a fact.

many F2P games would not exist otherwise

Again my opinion here but video games used to be much more simple until corporate greed came in and brainwashed some players thinking these new bad designs/practices are good sociable behavior when they are not. Not everybody will see it my way but that is my opinion and that will stay in my eyes.

its fine that this is your opinion , you can think what you want

however most subscription games are because of a big and or wide enough fan base to stay afloat.

theres a reason why most F2P games have loot boxes instead of subscriptions or ads. I would suggest researching this a little more.

no but they do have massive ads and  banners that sometimes are infected with worms and viruses etc.

who wants their comp or phone slowed down to a crawl from ads anyways?

plus wit ad blockers such places are shutting down from no revenue because it doesn't work.

And yet they are still running despite my different viewpoints on these practices which is not changing my viewpoint.

most players of F2P games are not playing AO games because most are minors.

and regardless of that , you do not have a workable solution for F2P to stay F2P but instead would kill F2P games

So be it then. My dislike of their practices is not changing one bit, especially when it comes to minors/childrens getting hooked with addiction especially.

that is an opinion and not a fact.

many F2P games would not exist otherwise

Again, I won't feel bad at all if F2P games will not exist the next day if legislatures step up. I will be careful on what to spend my money on if that happens. And by the way, there still exists some F2P games without microstransactions or loot boxes out there (mostly some retro games that I won't be surprised if there are something else).

its fine that this is your opinion , you can think what you want

however most subscription games are because of a big and or wide enough fan base to stay afloat.

theres a reason why most F2P games have loot boxes instead of subscriptions or ads. I would suggest researching this a little more.

Because these developers/corporations decided to make it acceptable social behavior to spend on these practices, especially to minors/childrens which I dislike. That one CEO in that video explained it very well too. If those practices aren't going away like I said already, I prefer them restricted to AO games and that's what I think of. You may not like it, but that is my opinion that's not changing at all.

Edited by ScLines

15 hours ago, ScLines said:

And yet they are still running despite my different viewpoints on these practices which is not changing my viewpoint. 

fly by night does not equal success

So be it then. My dislike of their practices is not changing one bit, especially when it comes to minors/childrens getting hooked with addiction especially.

that's fine , and that's fine as well , however that still does not make them evil except by usage by those who abuse them and APB is not abusing them in the way those article studies mentioned their study's about

if APB was abusing the loot boxes  id say that i dont like it.  but its not.

Again, I won't feel bad at all if F2P games will not exist the next day if legislatures step up. I will be careful on what to spend my money on if that happens. And by the way, there still exists some F2P games without microstransactions or loot boxes out there (mostly some retro games that I won't be surprised if there are something else).

what i expect would happen is bundles being made instead that are way overpriced. and once again IF loot boxes are being abused by the company's then those company's need to be held responsible and if they are not abusing them there is no crime to punish. its not cut and dry like you are making it out to be.

I already covered the F2P games that rely on advertising and those are on a major decline for various reasons , some of which are ads can get infected and do so often enough to be a major security risk

Because these developers/corporations decided to make it acceptable social behavior to spend on these practices, especially to minors/childrens which I dislike. That one CEO in that video explained it very well too. If those practices aren't going away like I said already, I prefer them restricted to AO games and that's what I think of. You may not like it, but that is my opinion that's not changing at all.

certain ones had intent to do harm. those company's are liable for such.

i refuse to punish the company's that do not do such abuse.

although it may be different , it is similar to being racist just because one did.

once again you are free to your opinion , but i still refuse to punish innocent people and dare to call it justice when it is lawlessness to do so.

Edited by Fortune Runner

Sign in to follow this