Why does it take me so long to upload to youtube?

5 replies to this topic

cooksterPr

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 04-May 10
its a 'technical issue' i suppose but all the threads in there are about hax or issues with the updater and account stuff etc.

anyway... my computers internet is great. I get wireless from a router in my house and always get 'excellent' and 5 bar connection. I experience little to no lag when I play warrock getting pings usually no higher then 300 and as low as 100.(i used to have all 999 b4 i switched connections). My internet runs really fast and pages like google or gmail or warrock.net they all load in about 1-2 seconds if that. great, right? yea, but something i wrong here:

whenever I try to upload a video onto youtube (i have a lot) it takes a RIDICULOUSLY long time to upload. granted, some of my videos are very big in size (450 MB) but for example last night it said 250 minutes remaining (over 4 hours!) and so I went to bed and woke up and found it had not worked for whatever reason.

when i go to school and i go on the computers there or on the laptops that we get, videos upload very fast compared to my PC. for example I tried to upload a video last night that was 100 MB, and it said it projected 1 hour!! ridiculous! Today at school I went to upload it and it took 10 minutes!!!! Plus, im in a big hole here because if i start the upload my pc runs slow and obviously i lag like hell so I cant play warrock or anything else 'fun' basically.

soooo, with my 5 bars and excellent connection, my decent to above-average ping levels, and my quick webpage loading, would all lead you to believe it would take the normal time or faster to upload things onto youtube but instead it it is the opposite. I cannot stand waiting 4 hours for a video to load!!! And how come when I am at school... it uploads normally! really fast! why!?

so I ask, why do you suppose my pc is behaving this way and what can be done to fix this problem.

thank you

edit: just did a speed test...
Posted Image
while not being a real computer genius or anything, I think 9/10 people can look at that and realize how awful that is...
0.23 MB/second uploading speed? consider the fact my videos are usually 400 MB!!!!
also, it shows that my upload speed of a video is 35 MB per 20 MINUTES! wow... unbelievable... i totalled it all up and found that if I upload my 450 MB video it will take around 1,900 minutes, which = 32 hours.

Edited by cooksterPr, 02 June 2010 - 01:52 PM.

colossal

duhh winning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
My download speed is 5 Mb/s. It usually depends on how long and how much data that you are trying to upload.

Notice your upload is only .24 Mb/s

Edited by colossal, 02 June 2010 - 01:50 PM.

NightsAncestor

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6032 posts
  • Joined 21-May 09
Although you might think it belong in here, then you might have considered tossing it in the G1 Lobby.

Higgsfield

Higg's Boson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13716 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

NightsAncestor, on Jun 2 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

Although you might think it belong in here, then you might have considered tossing it in the G1 Lobby.
this..
i'm getting fed up with people who just dump anything in GWD.
rather have it deleted.

as if ranting on warrock forums will help fix a totally unrelated issue, or are you going to hint that it's warrock/g1's fault your net sux?

as for uploading to youtube;
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...p;answer=132460

Uploading a video can take several hours, depending on the length of your video and the demand on the servers. If your video upload is taking longer than 24 hours to complete, we recommend canceling the upload, checking the length and settings for your video, and uploading it again.

Please make sure any firewall software you may have is allowing the connection to our server. If you're on a corporate or school network the connection may be blocked. You might want to check with your network administrator to find out what restrictions your network's under.

You may also want to try clearing your browser cache and cookies and uploading your video again.

Upload takes a long time to process

Processing time varies greatly depending on the format of your original video, file size, and upload traffic. This could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

If after 8 hours you still see a status message next to the video saying "Uploaded (processing, please wait)," try removing the video from our site and uploading it again. To do this, simply click the "Remove Video" button below the video in question in "My Videos" and go through the full upload process again.

Make sure your video is under 10 minutes in length. We accept most video file formats, including .wmv, .mov, .mpg, or .avi. If your video meets these minimum requirements and still won't upload, there may be a problem with the video compression you're using. We recommend the MPEG4 format at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio.
Issues with the first step of the upload process

You may not be able to get past the first page in the uploading process if you enter any of the following into any of the required fields:

* special characters
* HTML tags
* excessive text

If you haven't included any of the above and you're still unable to reach the second uploading step, you may want to clear your browser's cache and cookies and try again.

oh btw 1.47 down and 0.2 up isn't all that great

Edited by Von, 02 June 2010 - 09:40 PM.

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08

cooksterPr, on Jun 2 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

when i go to school and i go on the computers there or on the laptops that we get, videos upload very fast compared to my PC. for example I tried to upload a video last night that was 100 MB, and it said it projected 1 hour!! ridiculous! Today at school I went to upload it and it took 10 minutes!!!! Plus, im in a big hole here because if i start the upload my pc runs slow and obviously i lag like hell so I cant play warrock or anything else 'fun' basically.

edit: just did a speed test...
Posted Image
while not being a real computer genius or anything, I think 9/10 people can look at that and realize how awful that is...
0.23 MB/second uploading speed? consider the fact my videos are usually 400 MB!!!!
also, it shows that my upload speed of a video is 35 MB per 20 MINUTES! wow... unbelievable... i totalled it all up and found that if I upload my 450 MB video it will take around 1,900 minutes, which = 32 hours.

My home internet:
Posted Image

My School/work internet:
Posted Image

This is pretty standard just about anywhere. Schools/School districts pay a premium for better internet due to higher loads on their infrastructure, and the people there benefit. Go tell you parents that your internet speed is unacceptable and that they must buy faster internet. Or.... dont...
The opinions expressed in the post above are not necessarily those of GamersFirst. GamersFirst is not responsible in any way for any injury, loss, or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided in these sections of the site.

Rider

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4785 posts
  • Joined 12-June 08
Posted Image

That's my home internet, which I guess seems to be better than the norm for household internet speed.

But dear lord OP, either get a better internet package or rant at your ISP if you have a good one already, those download and upload speeds are rather horrid. :/

Posted Image

According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 GamersFirst.com, Reloaded Games, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.®