6 replies to this topic

Pioneer

Pioneer

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-December 15

" Last stop, San Paro."

The intercom voice of the bus driver was enough to wake everyone. I peeled my face off the window I'd been sleeping against and using the armrests, hoisted my self above the headrests. Twelve rows in front and eight rows behind, not a head was to be seen. I was alone on the bus.

I got up and walked down the aisle towards the driver, taking the center seat behind him.

"Where is everyone?" I wearily said. It had been a long trek across the nation, and I was disheveled. The driver flicked a glancing look at me before returning his eyes to the road. We were crossing some sort of bridge.

"What you talking about? I should be asking you, why are you still here?"

He shot me another quick look with a frown of inquisition.

"No body goes to San Paro anymore," he chimed as his arms began to turn the wooden wheel through the off ramp.  "No body 'cept those that are dead or about to be dead."

Wonderful - thirteen hours on the last leg of a four day trek. Three layovers, bus station food and only one shower . I could feel the growth on my face without rubbing it. The driver brought the bus to a halt, the air brakes had barely finished their hiss before he was going down the steps. I heard the cargo bay open and saw my duffle bag tossed forward, onto the sidewalk directly outside the door.

"Y'er here, now get out."

I looked around, this was no bus station, this was the bottom of the off ramp. There was no one around.

"Bus don't go into San Paro anymore, not since the Citizens Security Act. Too many lives at stake, too many lives lost. Buses stopped making pick ups a couple of years ago, I can't remember the last time I dropped someone off.  Only criminals or enforcers bus into San Paro now. None of them leave on the bus, they all go out in the back of a hearse. You better get moving before someone comes along and steals your luggage."

I looked at him still dozy from being woken.

"You get moving, son, or I'll take off with you still on the bus."

I rose and walked the three steps to the kerb. On the bottom step, the air brakes released and the door grazed my back as it slammed shut behind me. I steeped off just as the bus began to move off. It make a sharp right turn and headed up the on ramp, to head back across the bridge. I listened as the driver quickly made his way up through the gears, heading out of town.

I had no idea where I was. I picked up my bag, and began walking towards the tallest buildings.

Edited by Pioneer, 20 May 2017 - 05:54 PM.

Thehidden-Tember

Thehidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8987 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

Accurate depiction of the ghost town that is APB today :P

I hope this story is going to include gameplay-related humor!

Making indie games while I wait for the engine upgrade:

http://gamejolt.com/...duel-king/21289

Pioneer

Pioneer

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-December 15

Main Street.

I knew it from news footage, I knew it from the police reports. It was like I was a witness returning to the scene of a disaster, but the disaster wasn't yet cleaned up.The grass in the park at Empire and Main looked darker than the amount of blood that had been spilled. The Havalynd Central Golden Mall was now faded yellow in parts, and City Hall was still trying to cement the left over bullet holes in the walls.

I'd never been here, but knew exactly where I was.

San Paro Police General Services was chaotic. People moving about, the noise was amplified under the high ceiling. And the smell reminded me a well used alley - it stank, had been sanitized, but there wasn't enough bleach in the world to make it fresh again. Old and decrepit.

It was hard to tell who was who. Well dressed suites sat cuffed to chairs, while thugs in leather were processing fingerprints. There was no clear means to distinguish the Criminals from the Enforcers. People sat on long wooded benches, I couldn't tell if they were here to identify bodies or waiting for a church service to start. It left me confused - who were righteous and who were not?

There was a line of people to a counter, I joined it. People in front of me were talking about a variety of topics. The line inched forward until I arrived at a raised wooden desk. An older guy with salt and pepper hair sat behind thick bullet proof glass, scratched on this side. We talked through an intercom.

"What do you want?"

I smirked at his customer service. He was worn out and probably close to retirement. He neither wanted to be there, but he had no where else to go. I dropped my documents into the tray and slide them under the glass to him. As he reached into the tray I opened up my badge. He looked at my badge and then down into the tray.

"Federal? What are you doing here?"

I couldn't tell him, so I lied.

"Secondment. To assist the city."

He leaned back in his chair and laughed deep from his belly.

"Well la de da," he chuckled. "The Federal Government sends one of their own to assist the little city of San Paro. We should have our situation wrapped up in no time now."  He slid the document tray back at me and continue to giggle.

"Where's the Watch Captain," I asked. "I'm supposed to report to him."

His laughing stopped and became vocally brutal.

"There's no Watch Captain, there's no Order, this is San Paro. The Mayor 's City Security Act invited every moron within a seven country radius to show up and become licensed for deadly force. There's no one left, it's just civilians now, taking anarchy into their own hands. Both side of the fence. You're too late son. The Police are gone and we're what's left."

I knew what I was walking into before I ever got on the bus.

His voice mellowed a bit. "Report here tomorrow morning. Take up with Wilson LeBoyce. He's a Praetorian, gets all the rookies. He'll set your straight. You got a place to stay?"

I shook my head.

"Go down Union, and turn right at Merchant. Apartments at the end of the street. Most of the out of towners shack up there, initially. Keep your door locked at night, and a gun under your pillow. You do have a gun, don't you."

I smiled at him and shook my bag.

"Welcome to San Paro son, I hope it's not your last stop."

Pioneer

Pioneer

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-December 15

(Double Post deleted)

Edited by Pioneer, 23 May 2017 - 06:43 PM.

Thehidden-Tember

Thehidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8987 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

You doubleposted, but I really like what I'm reading so far.

It was hard to tell who was who. Well dressed suites sat cuffed to chairs, while thugs in leather were processing fingerprints.

For some reason my brain saw the word "cat" instead of "sat" and I thought you were gonna describe the edgy cat-ear dressing style that we have here :P

Pioneer

Pioneer

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-December 15

First Shift

On the first night, I lay awake for an hour listening to the sounds of the city before falling asleep.  I headed out in the morning as City trucks loaded to the gunnels with replacement signage, fire hydrants and pillar boxes, started their rounds.  Within a couple of hours, they will have erased all evidence of overnight carnage. And they would be back later - for the city, restoration was three shifts a day.

General Services was quieter when I returned and LeBoyce stood out among the crowd. For a former Marine, he looked more like a renegade Harlem Globetrotter. His Afro probably had its own carry concealed permit

"Semper Fi", he called, and I produced my badge.

"New blood,"  LeBoyce smiled and looked me over. "Here's how this goes - I give you a job, you complete it, you get paid."

I nodded silently.  He looked around and then produced a business card from his back pocket.

"Go here," his voice lowered to a dull serious tone. "Place got hit last night. Bad.  Investigate and work out who did this. Check wall tagging, shell casings, hell - if the coroner hasn't arrived yet, check out the bodies before the Meat Wagon arrives."

I took the card and look at the address, I had no idea where it was.

"You do good by me, and I'll introduce you to some of my more esteemed colleagues."

I look around the room, I couldn't see a motor pool or equipment office.

"How do I get there?"

LeBoyce let out a gut wrenching laugh that stopped people nearby in their tracks.

"Boy, this is San Paro. Anything you need, you just take it.  Cars, guns," he lowered his voice and looked side to side. "Even women. You take what you want."

I was going to like this place. I turned and walked out, crossing over to Havalynd Central Memorial Park, where I sat on one of the freshly installed park benches. For an hour I listened to the residents talking on their cell phones as they passed by me.

"Yeah, I think it's time to leave town."

"Yeah, it's me."

"Gunshots? Was that gunshots?"

The blonde in the tight jeans was more in tune to the sound of warfare than I was. Sure enough, in the distance, I could hear a rapid fire exchange. It was time to earn my keep.

On Border Street I seized a silver Balkan Ravan from some guy that stopped at the traffic light. I'd find a auto shop later in the day to do some customization, but for now, it was the first shift.

Thehidden-Tember

Thehidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8987 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

Leboyce doesn't give a sh*t about the standard issue Machinna Calabria anymore :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users