Photo

Engine upgrade art pipeline (Picture heavy)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

NekuKiriyu

NekuKiriyu

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

Because G1 is probably doing something else right now, (or just don't care at all to promote and show stuff off) I'll be here to do so.

Here are some pictures that I could dig up regarding the new engine's pipeline together with some (ex-developer) notes.

danny-bannister-apb-hotel-01.jpg
danny-bannister-apb-hotel-02.jpg
danny-bannister-danny-bannister-apb-hote

This was a small environment project I lead with a team of three artists.

The purpose of this level was to create a brand new environment pipeline in the upgraded APB Engine that would be used as a basis for creating new districts.

The current version of APB uses an outdated building tool as the basis for its environments, which created extremely unoptimized geometry and used unnecessarily expensive shaders.

This new pipeline was based on a modular workflow, allowing us to instance assets across the game. I also created a series of master shaders that could then be instanced by other artists who just had to import their textures and make minor setting adjustments as they saw fit.
My responsibilities consisted of creating the entire pipeline (including all master shaders), dictating workflow, base environment asset creation, animation for props made by the art team, lighting and working alongside our in-house engineers in order to fix critical issues with the new engine.

-Danny Bannister

steven-egan-apb-hotel-img-002.jpg
steven-egan-apb-hotel-img-006.jpg

steven-egan-apb-hotel-img-003.jpg

steven-egan-env-props-004.jpg

steven-egan-env-props-003.jpg

steven-egan-env-props-002.jpg

steven-egan-env-props-001.jpg

steven-egan-env-props-005.jpg

soon.gif

People are weak on their own, but when they have friends to lean on, they can grow much stronger. -Aneko Chan

NekuKiriyu

NekuKiriyu

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

danny-bannister-apb01.jpg
danny-bannister-apb02-5.jpg
danny-bannister-apb02.jpg
danny-bannister-apb04.jpg
danny-bannister-apb04-5.jpg
danny-bannister-apb03.jpg
danny-bannister-apb11.jpg
danny-bannister-apb12.jpg
danny-bannister-apb07.jpg
danny-bannister-apb08.jpg
danny-bannister-apb05.jpg
danny-bannister-apb06.jpg
danny-bannister-apb10.jpg
danny-bannister-apb09.jpg
danny-bannister-render17.jpg
danny-bannister-render18.jpg
danny-bannister-apb15.jpg
danny-bannister-apb14.jpg
danny-bannister-apb13.jpg
danny-bannister-apb16.jpg

Here consists a select few of some of the vehicle assets I have made for All Points Bulletin: Reloaded, during my time at Reloaded Productions, a subsidiary of Reloaded Games, Inc.

Despite initially releasing in 2010, APB still uses one of the most extensive vehicle customisation studios ever seen in a game. All vehicle assets developed for APB are built to support custom paint-jobs, switching of components and custom audio options.

All vehicle assets are baked from high poly meshes, and support dynamic damage and dirt placements via morph targets and texture masks.
-Danny Bannister

Edited by NekuKiriyu, 02 January 2017 - 08:53 AM.

soon.gif

People are weak on their own, but when they have friends to lean on, they can grow much stronger. -Aneko Chan

NekuKiriyu

NekuKiriyu

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

alanna-butchart-portfolio-fusebox.jpg
alanna-butchart-fusebox-texturemaps.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-plants.jpg
alanna-butchart-plants-textures.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-sink.jpg
alanna-butchart-sink-textures.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-tv.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-tv-textures.jp
alanna-butchart-portfolio-sockets.jpg
alanna-butchart-switches-textures.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-wallpapers.jpg
alanna-butchart-portfolio-screenshots2.j

In-progress shots from the Hotel environment in Unreal (not all of my props had been added to the scene before cancellation of the project, so this is one shot of part of the final setup for context). Team work with Danny Bannister and Steven Egan. -Allana Butchart

2-3 months prop work to populate an abandoned Hotel environment, an unreleased level design being created for APB: Reloaded. -Alanna Butchart

Edited by NekuKiriyu, 02 January 2017 - 08:57 AM.

soon.gif

Yukate

Yukate

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 20-June 13

Looks cool:)

Edited by Yukate, 02 January 2017 - 09:05 AM.

BPaUWGC.png
Citadel EU | Obeya EU1 - 
VarmieN [Crime] | Yukate [Enfo]

Helping newbies... Some1 need :> kappa

StellaBridger

StellaBridger

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Joined 01-May 13
Interesting
Sad thing that G1 can't show this content to us by themself.

Sorry if my english bad, it's not my native.

And yeah, I learned it in game chats looking how kids speaking :\
uiyqOqm.pnglH6fKz5.png

OniShema

OniShema

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4416 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

What kind've shovel you be using to dig up stuff like this?

CRIMINAL-MadalenaKurtz      Jericho-NA       Clan:  Joker Rejects

I didn't leave the game, I'm just working.   Best way to explain Reloaded "not doing anything"

76561198007436876.png

NekuKiriyu

NekuKiriyu

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

What kind've shovel you be using to dig up stuff like this?

The snow shovel

soon.gif

Rolpack

Rolpack

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 16-August 11

How long will it take for mud squids to delete all this cause "unreleased stuff" or w/e, i wonder.

NekuKiriyu

NekuKiriyu

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

How long will it take for mud squids to delete all this cause "unreleased stuff" or w/e, i wonder.

-Posted Today, 05:49 PM-

lets start the clock~

soon.gif

HomoSuperior

HomoSuperior

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts
  • Joined 19-January 14

Googling APB Devs in google graphics brings good results. Sometimes.

Good job.

x95

x95

Initiate

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 19-January 14

really nice work 

keep it up 

Infectonator

Infectonator

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Did u just say engine upgrade?

giphy.gif

HJhQqha.jpg
Reborn from hell

Infinito

Infinito

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts
  • Joined 23-February 12

upVfmsP.png
Better be there soon!

DwGBVYM.jpg

Szambi

Szambi

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3866 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14
I love how vehicles look in the editor <3

AMYoVUC.png

God dammit!

Playluxe

Playluxe

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 15-December 12

The textures still look awful. They really need to replace them with some more realistic HD textures at least.

qngcnpem.png

Fenton

Fenton

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

It'd be interesting to see if they ever do something with the "abandoned hotel" work. Hell, I'd love to see Project Midtown result in actual content for APB.

bumrush79

bumrush79

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 26-August 12

upVfmsP.png
Better be there soon!

526-minecraft-creeper-wallpaper.jpg

is this what danny banister was trying to draw in 3d? i like this in-game screenshot better. it has an 8x8 diffuse map with specular and looks way better. 

they should have just re-hired jack oakman to update all the props he made but instead hire some random talentless hacks trying to "re-make" a bad game.  anybody pause to think how a hotel level will play in a 3rd-person-shooter? totally uninspired work. 

koch media (the reason the screenies weren't released) must be trying to bury this embarressment of a game if it isn't obvious enough.

madisss

madisss

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 28-December 16

10/10

G1 pls

AA75Gwp.jpg

Ruoskat

Ruoskat

Initiate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 12-June 16

It actually looks pretty good

✖️AyeVilkas

✖️AyeVilkas

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 02-April 15

It actually looks pretty good

+1 , looks sweet, not sure about cars though, I find it hard to believe that's what they'll look like in gameplay. Looks legit too beautiful compared to now ;-;

Earl Grey tea + Social District

AxelVomAldebaran

AxelVomAldebaran

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

dat fake images again ...

f29.png

"Wer weiß das (außer mir) ... wieder keiner!"

"Ich liebe Katastrophen"

"Manche Menschen haben den IQ einer Dillgurke"

..GhosT

..GhosT

Unreal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14950 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I'm not sure if this is a troll or actually legit.

But I don't see how an abandoned hotel would work in APB. It looks way too small, especially for third person camera movements.

Edited by ..GhosT, 02 January 2017 - 11:40 AM.

edUSqlQ.png

HomoSuperior

HomoSuperior

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts
  • Joined 19-January 14

But I don't see how an abandoned hotel would work in APB. It looks way too small, especially for third person camera movements.

It's from the portfolio of ex devs and it says it's some "unfinished project"

damn2112

damn2112

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 17-April 13

That looks like the hotel from, vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

76561198070312971.png

notMateo

notMateo

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • Joined 15-January 14

nobody gives the devs enough credit

[ IGN:  bruhTeo, formerly Jaier ] - [ Jericho NA / Jolby ]

You catch more bees with honey than vinegar: http://puu.sh/lq8t2/d2d5547e21.jpg

My 'Name and Praise' thread! Please contribute to it!

Lord Cashpoint

Lord Cashpoint

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4730 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12

I was going to say, APB does not do tight interiors at all. Asylum is the closest to it, and even that's a mess.

Royal-Forum-Logo.png

Patriot | yfqv.pngLordCashpoint | criminalgold230.pngAdvancedRookie |

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7168 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

nobody gives the devs enough credit

Nobody ever will because people think its the Devs fault for the game being like it is when its really not.  And when i say Devs, i mean the artists/coders themselves.  Its the higher ups who are to blame.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1
  1:15:56 PM [<GM>HEXodus] Whisper: You drive a jacked up truck but not so jacked that people question the size of big jim and the twins

notMateo

notMateo

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • Joined 15-January 14

Nobody ever will because people think its the Devs fault for the game being like it is when its really not.  And when i say Devs, i mean the artists/coders themselves.  Its the higher ups who are to blame.

It's age to blame. The game is old, archaic, and hard to work with, and has been since it's birth.
Nobody here has done anything wrong. People are simply dissatisfied and looking for a target; as people do.

[ IGN:  bruhTeo, formerly Jaier ] - [ Jericho NA / Jolby ]

You catch more bees with honey than vinegar: http://puu.sh/lq8t2/d2d5547e21.jpg

My 'Name and Praise' thread! Please contribute to it!

Genobee

Genobee

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5287 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11

I'm iffy on where I stand with the higher ups. People like Tiggs are clearly trying to improve things where possible. Yet she's also taken some steps to move things towards some very old-school ways of handling games. But I really don't know if that is even her fault. Could be others involved with the decision making process, and the intent behind it almost certainly not intended to be harmful. Perhaps she doesn't know the full extent of the situation when she is forced to take action or something along those lines. That could explain some of those more unusual choices intertwined with the admittedly fantastic ones.

I just hope that if they can get the engine upgrade out the door that they will then turn their attention on fixing their internal problems thye've had for years.

New to APB:R? Take a look at this part of the forum || Find a bug? Report it here!

フリルネックトカゲ

Mission Rewards Refinement - F2P Guns as Rewards | Improve Communication

Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14

This just looks like some random projects pictures with APB Reloaded logo. But i hope we will get the Hotel map, like a smaller version of fight clubs...like 6v6 or something.

Cars do look better, but it maybe just the lightning.

But still, this is better than no info at all, thanks.

If you are still reading forum posts it means you never actually left. There is still a little piece of nostalgia for this game in your heart that will hardly die. Sad thing is that this game probably wont get better, but we can hope. Either way, you are still here, you still care, and we need you.

GTBSG. Loner. Loser. Spammer. You wont see me much around here anymore, i dont enjoy the game now even when winning, maybe its time to move on... I hate 90% of APB playerbase, but im toxic player, so we are good.

Kell ✘❥

Kell ✘❥

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 27-August 16

You're such a saint Luna <3

Me & my good friend                                      

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7168 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

It's age to blame. The game is old, archaic, and hard to work with, and has been since it's birth.
Nobody here has done anything wrong. People are simply dissatisfied and looking for a target; as people do.

From what i've heard, APBs problem goes a bit deeper than age.  There was another studio working on the Console version of the game, but they botched it hard and now Reloaded are left to un-gosh darn everything.  In addition to that, rumor is they are also having financial problems, but cant believe everything people say.

I'm iffy on where I stand with the higher ups. People like Tiggs are clearly trying to improve things where possible. Yet she's also taken some steps to move things towards some very old-school ways of handling games. But I really don't know if that is even her fault. Could be others involved with the decision making process, and the intent behind it almost certainly not intended to be harmful. Perhaps she doesn't know the full extent of the situation when she is forced to take action or something along those lines. That could explain some of those more unusual choices intertwined with the admittedly fantastic ones.

I just hope that if they can get the engine upgrade out the door that they will then turn their attention on fixing their internal problems thye've had for years.

Tiggs is trying, i guess there's that at least, no doubt one of the more vocal staff members we've had.  But there are people above her that have final say over things (i would assume anyways, not overly up to date with studio hierarchy), so possibly some of her good ideas are being shut down?

I don't know though, APB is a sinking ship, and shes taking on water quite rapidly.  Still nothing for APB on the PS Store...

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1
  1:15:56 PM [<GM>HEXodus] Whisper: You drive a jacked up truck but not so jacked that people question the size of big jim and the twins

Poperon

Poperon

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts
  • Joined 27-August 11

The feels man, make it stop...

When you see the potential of a game, being wasted...

Those screenshots prove it. The game has a LOT of potential, and the artists want to make it worth. BUT.... there's a limit somewhere we don't know that is holding them. IF somehow this game fails again, that at least Epic Games buy the game assets, and make it be a better game.

Spoiler

Do you really want 4K resolution on a simple light switch? And you're comparing it to a whole game design like minecraft? Is that serious?

Go Drink some Bleach, please. To clean your non-sense free toxicity.

Bannister tried a move here. At least it shows that someone is trying to make the game progress somehow.

Edited by Poperon, 02 January 2017 - 01:18 PM.

★★★★★ Proud Enforcer Brazilian Player ★★★★★

oq4j0eq.png

Brasileiros: Tutorial sobre como migrar sua Conta Hoplon!

Queen of Love

Queen of Love

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • Joined 13-October 12

O_o

is nice.

but only a 5.000$ PC could handle it.

could they release an open source APB so community can try to do something nice too?

Amaineko

Amaineko

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Its time to stop,engine upgrade was a mistake..

I dislike latency logic.               Inactive~kind~of~                                                                      

3f74595a05.jpg0ef81951f7.png

Sarya

Sarya

Initiate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 10-March 16

Wow, I really hope this is legit. 
The environment looks really good!

Eisena

Eisena

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Joined 02-March 14

This entire engine update drama reminds me of something.. Maybe one day we APB players will look at screenshots and cry for the things which could have been too.

Haganu

Haganu

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3585 posts
  • Joined 22-June 14

Engine Upgrade

0aZ0uex.gif

Lust, Wrath, Envy, Pride, Greed, Gluttony and Sloth

JRavtd5.png

Haganu - Criminal | - - - - - - Symbols by LarsJack on DeviantArt, remade and made bodypaint off of them ingame. - - - - - - | Matoii - Enforcer  

Scotish_Harpy

Scotish_Harpy

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

This entire engine update drama reminds me of something.. Maybe one day we APB players will look at screenshots and cry for the things which could have been too.

Lost, like tears in the rain

;_;

Darkzero3802

Darkzero3802

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
  • Joined 14-July 14

Yea those are fake. G1 cant do anything that well when it comes to game dev

Xbox release anyone?

76561198036519162.png