1622 replies to this topic

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

So i've been following this thread (and the previous ones) for a while now, and decided a while ago I'd try seeing how far I could get with 3DS MAX (since i'm more familiar with its UI conventions than Blender).

Unfortunately i've run into a couple material issues, which you can see in the below image:

http://i.imgur.com/WDyIIGx.png

Texture wise I've managed to get everything to work except the specular mask and the eyelash texture. Still haven't figured out why. The hair diffuse is also miscolored but I suspect that can be fixed with controlling the color output......i'm working on that.

On the brighter side I did manage to get a good grasp of setting up a render, so If I get these issues killed I'm probably well on my way.....I hope....

I'm gonna split my time between working on this and learning how things work in Blender. Ideally I want to be able to produce something of note in both (preferably before this game dies or whatever).

Eyelashes have to be manually UV mapped and also have a transparency channel, unsure where the color comes from though.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1
 [<GM>HEXodus] Whisper: Help, I've fallen and i cant get up!

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11

The hair texture you used isn't the diffuse, it's an alpha map which you've used correctly. The diffuse comes from the texture that looks like TV snow. That's the texture you use and multiply so you can color that.

I don't remember if he did, but Jenz did make a photoshop action for you to create a spec map out of your diffuse map for the body. I'm not sure though.

Nite

Nite

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Joined 12-July 15

The hair texture you used isn't the diffuse, it's an alpha map which you've used correctly. The diffuse comes from the texture that looks like TV snow. That's the texture you use and multiply so you can color that.

I don't remember if he did, but Jenz did make a photoshop action for you to create a spec map out of your diffuse map for the body. I'm not sure though.

Thanks, switched the maps for the hair and that fixed the issue. I was wondering what those tv static textures were for.....

Additionally I've started doing basic render testing with the MAX renderer, and apparently the specular map issue has solved itself?LGfj0gt.jpg

For some reason, having added my own lights to the scene instead of using the MAX viewport default lights, the specular has toned way down. I'm still not sure why, i'm working on it. Still a few mysteries to solve I guess....

On the positive side I managed to produce a basic render with mostly default settings, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

bD1lj8B.jpg

Hair still needs to be colored of course (my character's hair is supposed to be black) and the eyelashes aren't textured yet (I'll probably have to create the UV maps for the eyelash mesh for that) but the skin tone is looking pretty good. For an initial attempt at least.

The journey continues.....

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11

Yeah, the people who made apb were pretty smart when it came to texturing things apparently. But the diffuse is the spec map at the same time it's just a matter of either separating them in photoshop or getting the 3d program to do it.

For the hair color you can set the diffuse of the hair texture to multiply and then color the actual mesh directly and that should get your hair color that you want. 

I don't generally do it because most of my renders aren't close ups of the face so it does kind of feel like a waste of time but for eyelashes you'll have to UV unwrap it manually.

Also, don't forget those normal maps! if your character has muscles you'll want them to show. On top of the normal maps really make the clothing not look so flat and more realistic.

982865555a.jpg

Hopefully we'll have someone with the knowledge to do a 3ds tutorial for those who want it because this is some good progress.

Alk

Alk

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 11-March 14

Yeah, the people who made apb were pretty smart when it came to texturing things apparently. But the diffuse is the spec map at the same time it's just a matter of either separating them in photoshop or getting the 3d program to do it.

For the hair color you can set the diffuse of the hair texture to multiply and then color the actual mesh directly and that should get your hair color that you want. 

I don't generally do it because most of my renders aren't close ups of the face so it does kind of feel like a waste of time but for eyelashes you'll have to UV unwrap it manually.

Also, don't forget those normal maps! if your character has muscles you'll want them to show. On top of the normal maps really make the clothing not look so flat and more realistic.

Hopefully we'll have someone with the knowledge to do a 3ds tutorial for those who want it because this is some good progress.

That's some wonderful muscle rendering.

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

Little APB comic test.

It's either this style of comic or just simple render images. So many stuff to learn, to study, testing and etc.

qFd8kJK.png

Edited by Jenz/Amaka, 14 January 2016 - 11:52 AM.

| Imgur Album | DeviantArt | The Biggest APB Group Photo  |   ifAZZ.gif   -   and yes, I am male ffs :V

Nite

Nite

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Joined 12-July 15

Minor update: by using the hair transparency texture as a bump and specular map I've managed to get this:

PDofMlH.jpg?1

Thinking of starting character rigging now but I'm wondering, would be wise to finish the eyelashes and attach them to the face before I go down that road? Or can I avoid doing that without running into rigging problems later on?

982865555a.jpg

That's one very fit girl. I do have the normal map applied, its just that the scene lights don't easily show it the way it does in the game. I had also reduced the strength of the normal map in the material, otherwise it tended to get too harsh.

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11
Nah, you can weigh paint the eyelashes on after you're done rigging. If you have anything thats seperate from the body like the hair,ammo pouches and belts etc its best to rig and then you can paint them to the bones they need to be on.

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Setup the eyelashes and then get your rigging bones in place, then join the eyelashes to the body and remove doubles.  Then mount the character to the rig.

Should probably hide the eyelashes while your positioning bones, since they can get in the way of the eyelids.

Edited by SkittyM, 15 January 2016 - 11:06 AM.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Queen of Love

Queen of Love

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8670 posts
  • Joined 13-October 12

@Nite

sometime is the light setting that creates a wrong result in normal mpa application.

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

wD3X8ee.png

Testing a scene and some other things for some upcoming renders.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

I wouldn't recommend downloading the skeleton as it has bit of finger problem. I'll try and fix it some dayish.

Anyways, here's another render.

Jenz without a red paint.

[Direct Link]

Khm74In.png

I wish I had premium. Anyone know premium redeem codes?

| Imgur Album | DeviantArt | The Biggest APB Group Photo  |   ifAZZ.gif   -   and yes, I am male ffs :V

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I wouldn't recommend downloading the skeleton as it has bit of finger problem. I'll try and fix it some dayish.

Anyways, here's another render.

Jenz without a red paint.

I wish I had premium. Anyone know premium redeem codes?

http://www.gamersfir...ingame/home.php

Is the closest you're going to get to free premium codes, as im thinking G1 have dropped most separate codes.  Have fun playing APB for 3 days prem!

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

http://www.gamersfir...ingame/home.php

Is the closest you're going to get to free premium codes, as im thinking G1 have dropped most separate codes.  Have fun playing APB for 3 days prem!

I wish they'd give 1 day premium deal. For customization.

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11

I wish they'd give 1 day premium deal. For customization.

Yeah, I'm in the same position. I have one more 15 day code and I don't feel like wasting it honestly to remove one tattoo.

Word2

Word2

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4242 posts
  • Joined 22-November 13

Yeah, I'm in the same position.

I have only 5 days left, as the other 5-or-how-many-days code from Xmas event expired in no time.

High-FIve-GIFs.gif

yv7Wtyf.jpg

Dennis Tahdella  Bridgette  Word2  Jenz Kempington  Tamara Gryazneva

[ APB The Movie: the cast suggestions ] [ Strange requests and 8bit sprites ]

Alk

Alk

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 11-March 14

I've invested so much in this game, I've got enough premium for an entire year, and possibly half a year worth in codes. I'd hand out some but I doubt they can be shared...

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I've invested so much in this game, I've got enough premium for an entire year, and possibly half a year worth in codes. I'd hand out some but I doubt they can be shared...

Those codes are account locked.

Valentines MIGHT net some 5 day code, wouldn't bet on it though.  Only chance is the event system, which is pretty easy, or it used to be.  Win 3 missions in a row for an account bound weapon skin selector is just, wow.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Nite

Nite

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Joined 12-July 15

If G1 were a sane company, they'd create a way for people overflowing with premium to gift some of those days to other players for a small fee.

Or you know, let it be cheaper to buy premium for another player.....

Edited by Nite, 19 January 2016 - 04:53 PM.

KittyLanah

KittyLanah

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Joined 15-December 14
God 2muchwork4me

WeaKWJ7.png

[Soon™]        x {New better APBx {KittyLanah's Hoodiesx 10iYdtO.gif x {Pets Showcase}  x {Trade system full conceptx   

KittyLanah-[Enforcer]-(Citadel)

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Its SOMETHING, for the time being, ill probs redo it due to performance issues.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

Woah, those are some heavy performance drop for ya with the new NinjaRipper.

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Woah, those are some heavy performance drop for ya with the new NinjaRipper.

Its not as bad as it looks, i will point that out, when i started recording, the performance just nuked itself.  So i might make a new video using the old version, since there's almost no difference between them,

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Skitty, your video tutorial "APB Vehicle Rigging and Posing" is sooo confusing. :D You dont explain half of the things and when im doing what you did in the video, my outcome differs from yours pretty much all the time.

Having such a headache right now. Ill continue tomorrow.

N9pGkYM.png

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Skitty, your video tutorial "APB Vehicle Rigging and Posing" is sooo confusing. :D You dont explain half of the things and when im doing what you did in the video, my outcome differs from yours pretty much all the time.

I know it is, but rather than complaining about it, do as i say and not as i do.

Post an image of your problem here, and we can likely help you. 

Unsure what it is with people and not RTFMing.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

Nite

Nite

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Joined 12-July 15

His tutorial vids are part of the reason I gave up on Blender :troll_face:

Edited by Nite, 23 January 2016 - 07:36 PM.

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I know it is, but rather than complaining about it, do as i say

Hard to do when you never say which buttons to press and that my outcome differs from your outcome even though i do the exact same thing.

Are there any other tutorials out there? Skittys one isnt that helpful for beginners (no offense).

Edited by GhosT 8747, 24 January 2016 - 06:38 AM.

N9pGkYM.png

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11

Hard to do when you never say which buttons to press and that my outcome differs from your outcome even though i do the exact same thing.

Are there any other tutorials out there? Skittys one isnt that helpful for beginners (no offense).

Hopefully I'll be done with mine by tomorrow or something. I have 2 parts of it done which are probably the most important parts.

Not promising it but I do have a day off finally so hopefully I can get some work done on it.

Edited by Bridgette, 24 January 2016 - 09:28 AM.

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

I have my old ones but they are terribly outdated and don't apply current stuff. In terms of exporting shi- and importing, those are sort of still current but everything else is old.

Old Video

I think clean tutorial is required here.

Edited by Jenz/Amaka, 24 January 2016 - 09:33 AM.

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Currently going through step by step with someone, looking good so far.

N9pGkYM.png

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Screen cast keys was on the entire video, in the bottom left of the 3d viewer.  If your a beginner with blender, you shouldn't even be watching the videos, you should be reading This, the first unit.

If you're gonna learn, from me in particular, gotta do it the same way i did man.

(Also, the do as i say quote was in reference to the latter half of that post, idk why you cropped it.)

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Screen cast keys was on the entire video, in the bottom left of the 3d viewer.  If your a beginner with blender, you shouldn't even be watching the videos, you should be reading This, the first unit.

If you're gonna learn, from me in particular, gotta do it the same way i did man.

(Also, the do as i say quote was in reference to the latter half of that post, idk why you cropped it.)

Im aware that screen cast was on, however it doesnt show all the keys you press, which made me google quite a few times.

About the guide you linked, i dont feel like shoveling all the sand out of the sandpit when all i gotta do is make a hole.

With the help of someone, i got my character into blender with the skeletons adjusted and everything else required. He said its ready to be posed and rendered. Gonna do that tomorrow or sometime when hes online and willing to help.

Only issue i have right now is that my characters texture is way brighter than it is ingame.

For example, i have black shoes, and in blender theyre bright grey instead.

Edited by GhosT 8747, 24 January 2016 - 12:17 PM.

N9pGkYM.png

Bridgette

Bridgette

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Joined 04-June 11

i dont feel like shoveling all the sand out of the sandpit when all i gotta do is make a hole.

This is what I was about to say when Skitty said you had to read a guide. If we were learning everything that you needed to know about blender then, yes, we would need to read up on the guide. But for doing a specific thing you wanna learn the specific thing. Specially when you're making a tutorial, you make the tutorial with the thought that the viewer is doing this for the first time. You get them the yielded results and then from there the user should feel confident enough to take on newer tasks with what they've learned. Or at the very most ask more educated guesses/questions with what they've learned. Granted, it's not an instant process but it should help.

I learned off of Jenz first video, I didn't even touch the guide.

About your shoes/ bright texture, it could be a lighting situation or it could be your diffuse map's alpha not being used.

Edited by Bridgette, 24 January 2016 - 01:18 PM.

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

About your shoes/ bright texture, it could be a lighting situation or it could be your diffuse map's alpha not being used.

I fiddled with the lighting, making the scene darker or brighter wont change it.

About the textures, i ripped and extracted them using noesis and then applied them in blender. Could it be that something went wrong while ripping, or does it need any further tweaking?

Edited by GhosT 8747, 24 January 2016 - 01:57 PM.

N9pGkYM.png

Jenz/Amaka

Jenz/Amaka

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

I fiddled with the lighting, making the scene darker or brighter wont change it.

About the textures, i ripped and extracted them using noesis and then applied them in blender. Could it be that something went wrong while ripping, or does it need any further tweaking?

It would help if you posted screenshot of the problem and the settings you use.

My only guess is that you left Use Alpha checked on Diffuse texture in materials.

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

It would help if you posted screenshot of the problem and the settings you use.

My only guess is that you left Use Alpha checked on Diffuse texture in materials.

Stock blender settings. I couldnt even tell if i have Use Alpha checked, no idea where to find it.

//Edit: found it. Use Alpha was checked. When unchecked, it becomes darker, but the grey film is still there.

Edited by GhosT 8747, 24 January 2016 - 02:48 PM.

N9pGkYM.png

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I can only assume your using Internal and not Cycles, so i cant really help there.  But for anyone who is using Cycles with Lilacs material groups, dark colors are derped and there is a way to fix it, which is illustrated in the video i just made 10 minutes ago, get that uploaded tonight. 

Issue lies in the material groups, and a certain value.

Spoiler

Anyways, something i made while making said video:

duFQAfs.png

I need to go play APB, my mental state is starting to fail.

This is what I was about to say when Skitty said you had to read a guide. If we were learning everything that you needed to know about blender then, yes, we would need to read up on the guide. But for doing a specific thing you wanna learn the specific thing. Specially when you're making a tutorial, you make the tutorial with the thought that the viewer is doing this for the first time. You get them the yielded results and then from there the user should feel confident enough to take on newer tasks with what they've learned. Or at the very most ask more educated guesses/questions with what they've learned. Granted, it's not an instant process but it should help.

I learned off of Jenz first video, I didn't even touch the guide.

My point wasn't "read the entire book", you only need to read the first Unit, and you'll know about basic controls/buttons.  Its not hard and its not even a long read ether, just skim through it if you want to even, or look up videos on how to use blender. The only thing these videos really need to teach you, is how to get your character out of APB and into a 3d modeling program so you can do whatever your heart desires with them.

I myself learned off of Jenz's videos in combination with googling the issue, asking about it, and reading/watching videos.  The video i just made should get you as far as This, Something like this or above WILL require you to go learn that in some way as its something more advanced.

The old videos i made were a jumbled mess, no doubt, but if there's something you dont understand, ASK.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Im in cycles using lilacs materials.

Someones helping me, and ill stick to him for now, i dont want to fiddle around with things you guys might say and end up breaking everything because no one knows whats going on anymore.

Where do i find that menu on the picture in the spoiler?

N9pGkYM.png

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Im in cycles using lilacs materials.

Someones helping me, and ill stick to him for now, i dont want to fiddle around with things you guys might say and end up breaking everything because no one knows whats going on anymore.

Where do i find that menu on the picture in the spoiler?

You should have said you were using Cycles!  oh my god.

Node editor > select the Material group in the middle of everything, has a green bar across it, press Tab > Between the group and the image texture nodes (on the background) will be the Value node you are looking for.

Edited by SkittyM, 24 January 2016 - 02:52 PM.

EkpEo6I.pngCAZ550X.png?1

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • 15077 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

You should have said you were using Cycles!  oh my god.

Didnt know thats so important. Im a blender noob after all.

Node editor > select the Material group in the middle of everything, has a green bar across it, press Tab > Between the group and the image texture nodes (on the background) will be the Value node you are looking for.

That fixed it. Thank you.

Is there any tutorial/guide around on how to pose characters?

N9pGkYM.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users