Photo

Rifle vs Pistols - PVE/Crafter (with builds choice)

4 replies to this topic

cib69

cib69

Initiate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 16-October 11

Hi,

I'm a solo PVE player. The current PVE content is easy, but I want to be able to solo some hard to kill mobs, like boses in terminal woods i.e..

I don't know what is better for PVE... Pistols or Rifles:

I made 2 builds:

Pistols:

http://planer.fallen...101018A01010101

This build is for any pistol except the 195 pistol revolvers. I have in mind to use AP pistols.

Rifle:

http://planer.fallen...101018A01010101

This build is for any Rifle, including Volatile Shark. Unfortunately there is no AP Assault Rifle so the only option available with some dps is the BR and I don't know how good is Gremlin BR vs bosses (Masters).

I've put 24 points in dodge because I have equiped GT Support Helm + GT Defense Suit, so I have 80 dodge from suit + 24 in builds  = 104 total Dodge (19%).

I use: 2 interupts (Disrupt 4 + Dent Armor 4), Overhelm 4, Attack Posture 4 stance, Primal Vigor 6 and Bolster 4. I intend to change the stances according to situation... damage, defense, etc.

My questions are:

- What is better to use, rifles or pistols?

- If pistols, what to buy/use AP Deathmax, D Special or D Magnum?

- Is the build posted for pistols good?

- Are pistols, considering their range (36m), confortable enough for farming a lot of mobs (to spawn a serendipity npc, i.e.)?

- If rifles, is the build posted good enough? 

- Have the Gremlin BR enough dps for tougher bosses? Gremlin BR, due to his range, is perfect for killing ordinary mobs, but I don't trust it for hardest targets.

- What are best choices for rifles, to have equiped?

I'll wait answers and advices from a lot more experienced players than me and thak you for your time to answer me!

Edited by cib69, 16 September 2015 - 10:59 AM.

LilRedhare

LilRedhare

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts
  • Joined 02-December 13

Hey, Cib!

I did a bit of tinkering on that pistol build, but I'll explain why, too. I also recommend that you read Nysek's Complete Guide to skills and Mutations. To find it, look for any post by Reaps989 (That's Nysek) and click the banner. It will tell you how every skill and mutation works scales.

-The first thing I did was take strength out; you don't need it, especially for a PvE pistol build. That freed up 30 AP right away.

-I also took the 24 AP out of Dodge; you won't need to worry about crits in PvE unless you plan on doing Dome, and Dodge scales 22/28 at that range, so there were either 2 wasted AP or you were 4 AP short there anyway....you now have 54 free AP.

-I dropped down and took that primal out....It's wasted on a pistoleer (although Rampage is hella useful). We'll save it for now, I have a better idea for it...182 free AP now.

-I also dropped GT down to 150...you'll be fine with it there, and it frees up some AP for a few perks.

-Power scales 130/162/194, so 156 is either 26 wasted AP or it's 6 AP short. I took the liberty of bumping you to 162 by using AP from strength.

-Max precision isn't necessary, especially for PvE...you'll hit plenty hard with a lower scaling. precision scales 159/169/179/189...for now, I'll give you my set up....169.

-Raised First Aid to 186...you'll want the stronger heals in zones like Alpha and Epsilon.

-150+ pistol skill gives you Desparado 3 to run as a stance...+37 to pistols...you can drop your pistol skill to 153, wear a tech or trav shirt for a +3 buff and then use any Deathmax pistol for a miniimum +2 buff...195 pistol skill...OR...you can go for 216 pistol skill and the tighter crosshairs. Pistol skill 174+desparado 3+trav/tech shirt+DM. For PvE, the former set up is okay.

-With the former pistol set up, there are AP to play with....let's have a bit of fun...

-I added sonic for you to fool around with. It has a very efficient group DoT. Pistol skill already has a fire DoT, so now you have a sonic DoT as well.

-Used the last bit of AP to add some Charisma to raise your Empathic heals, but that's more a personal choice. I like good to strong empathic heals, at least for better restoration to deal with DoTs. 

Here's the finished product...1 wasted AP, which got dropped into Empathic:

http://planer.fallen...101010190010102

You'll need to run Desparado 3 as your stance and should run Offensive Coordination as your aura, but can run any of the auras under GT, depending upon the composition of your team.

This should work with any pistol 185 and above without having to use trav/tech shirt. 

I hope this helps...haz a great one!

DLBanner1.jpg

Kit Southworth, Kitness Everdeen, Ophanim-Dying Light

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7709 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
http://planer.fallen...101010190010102

If you want to run attack posture, but can easily drop pistol to 151 with Desperado.

There's a lot of AP that can be adjusted depending on your preferences.
Nysek - Mednaught : The only character in FE made of Gammina™

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Special thanks to Thrillchase for ze banner.

cib69

cib69

Initiate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 16-October 11

Thank you both for yours detailed answers.

I have both T-shirts +3 pistol/rifle.

As trinket I use Hulk commander armor plate.

So, if I understand correct, is much better to use pistols in PVE. Unfortunatelly, the range of DT pistols seems a litle to short... only 36m. Plus I can't see the mobs name at range, plus ammo consumption. This is why I asked if Gremlin BR can be used in PVE boss fights considering his 150 dps.

Are the pistols a must for PVE, for boss fights especially?  If yes, what DT pistols to use, heavy, medium or light?

Edited by cib69, 17 September 2015 - 01:14 AM.

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7709 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Thank you both for yours detailed answers.

I have both T-shirts +3 pistol/rifle.

As trinket I use Hulk commander armor plate.

So, if I understand correct, is much better to use pistols in PVE. Unfortunatelly, the range of DT pistols seems a litle to short... only 36m. Plus I can't see the mobs name at range, plus ammo consumption. This is why I asked if Gremlin BR can be used in PVE boss fights considering his 150 dps.

Are the pistols a must for PVE, for boss fights especially?  If yes, what DT pistols to use, heavy, medium or light?

In terms of DPS... pistols will always outclass rifles. So it's a toss up, range or DPS... you can't really have both.

PVE is rarely outside of 41m (I say this due to the 5m bonus range on all weapons), so I'd still say pistols over rifles. Not that I don't like Rifles, but for PVE there's zero reason not to go rifle if you're looking for most effective.

Nysek - Mednaught : The only character in FE made of Gammina™

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Special thanks to Thrillchase for ze banner.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users