BrandonBranderson

BrandonBranderson

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Joined 13-July 13

POPULAR

Hey everyone,  So I know that a lot of people want this, but I want to ask you all in general what you think.  My suggestion is for them to bring back the main menu from before the current 3d scenes were implemented.  For me this both is and isn't a nostalgia thing.  

First off I just want to say I mean no offense to Farfletched. Wadsworth is a good song on its own, but the original theme I believe fit the game much better.  As someone said before (I cant remember who said it) It gives a kinda "Calm before the storm" feeling.  It was nice to hear the soft guitar lightly fade in along with all the little glitchy percussion noises when starting up the game rather than being blasted with a fog horn. Here is the main menu that I want back.

Now to discuss the other reasons why I believe it should be implemented.  It still had the original style of the game.  All those broken glitchy sounds, combined with the moving, constantly re-adjusting graffiti in the background just gave it a vibe that was really unique. The current main menu, in all of its frozen action with a more orchestral sounding song including simple, slow piano and radio chatter, seems overall much more generic.  Pretty much this exact same scene has been done in games over and over since 2001 with Twisted Metal: Black.  Don't believe me? Here's Twisted Metal's intro, and the menus that follow this are all represented in this 3d space of an urban war zone.  Albeit a little wackier than APB's menu, but still the same exact concept and very similar visually.  Yet somehow Twisted Metal still pulls through as looking better to me than APB's current menu despite it being released 14 years ago.  Oh god I feel old.  I remember waiting in anticipation for TM:B's release  :blink:

Back on topic.  Now lets talk about the performance side of it. Some people may say "But Brandon, you stupid weirdo, I get 120 fps constantly".  Well, not everyone does.  When I start up the game I usually get about 40fps. Though that really isn't bad considering I'm on a 2012 Alienware M17x Laptop, I know for sure it is much worse for some other people. I've tested the game out on older computers and it hardly even wants to run. "Oh but Brandon, that's because they don't meet the specs that the game requires".  The three other computers I've tried it on have pretty much empty hard drives except for the stuff needed to run APB.  One is some 2009-2010 HP XPS (ran a bunch of higher end games perfectly) , one is an iBuyPower Medusa (My previous gaming PC), and the least successful of course was the 2003 Dell Dimension 4800 (I only tried it on this one out of curiosity and as a "dude what if it actually worked lol" kinda thing).

All that being said, the game only booted up on two of the older PCs I tried it on and for the two that it ran, well lets just say I'm not a fan of slide shows.  Both of them met the required specs of RTW APB.  I know the specs constantly change with APB, but this is just an example of how poorly optimized the game is.  What this all goes back to is the performance on the main menu is just as bad as in game.  It didn't used to be. Not to mention the actual start up time for the game has doubled due to this 3d menu.

So, sorry for the length but the TL:DR version would be:

Re-implement the old main menu / log in screen with the original music and with the new UI.

In my opinion the Scaleform UI is the only improvement that was made to the menu.  The 3d scenes were neat at first but now its just old, hearing that ugly "beeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww" sound every time the game starts.

Edit: Don't forget to rate this in case they actually read it. I doubt it will happen but I would like them to prove me wrong on that.

Edited by BrandonBranderson, 20 March 2015 - 10:59 AM.

Raptros

Raptros

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts
  • Joined 18-December 11

+1 for the sake of nostalgia

WHAT DID YOU HONESTLY EXPECT THOUGH?

Mod Squad

Mod Squad

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3821 posts
  • Joined 28-July 09
The current menu looks like garbage. The siren is just flat out annoying. It doesn't give a war like feeling, it just makes you want to exit the game. The contacts standing in the middle of the road looks like a bunch of greens fighting over a witness mission. The fog is half arsed, glitchy.

The old menu gave me this weird, yet awesome feeling. I can't describe it. It fit in with the story line very well. If you were to read all the contact emails and descriptions while that music was playing, you felt like you were part of the whole story.

From a performance side of things. The old menu loaded instantly. You could get into the action fast, and not have to wait 10-20 seconds for the loading screen to go away. When sending things between characters, the current login menu gets really, really frustrating, so much to the point that I now use a custom login menu so I don't have to sit there waiting for the obnoxious fog horn to load.

The login screen was the biggest waste of effort Reloaded have released. I get we needed a better UI, we didn't need a whole new login screen. Besides, we still have the old UI when in districts, which is where a new UI is needed the most.

Edited by Lube / RickRitalin, 20 March 2015 - 10:01 AM.

Jericho : MrFappyPenguin | TokenPotHeadRickRitalin | MrsHappyPenguin
Bubblenut | AbbyAdderal | NubileBut | MasticationMan | MrHappyPenguin | luberness
Innova : somethingchewy | somethingcrispy #NotEnoughCharacterSlots

Knight

Knight

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 25-January 15

Why would something that causes higher loading times at start-up be okay'd just because it has razzle dazzle?  I don't boot up APB to stare at the pretty log-in screen, I boot it up to hop into a district and play.  The frozen action scenes inhibit that.

Visionaireh

Visionaireh

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 16-January 15

I want the old menu back. brings alot of old memorys..

Nouveh // Criminal // Citadel // R255

Naugladur // Criminal // Citadel // R110

Weajh // Enforcer // WASP // Citadel // R255

..GhosT

..GhosT

You're being trolled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15036 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Yes please, the new one loads way too long and the new one doesnt represent APB.

The old one was APB, the new one isnt.

N9pGkYM.png

BrandonBranderson

BrandonBranderson

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Joined 13-July 13

Yes please, the new one loads way too long and the new one doesnt represent APB.

The old one was APB, the new one isnt.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. It seems that the style of this game is slowly being taken away. It seems to be becoming more generic lately and I really don't want to see that happen. G1's shaders made it more so.  The RTW ones were fine, they actually had deep looking shadows and quality bloom that looked possible/realistic.  Not to mention those pretty clouds that RTW had. Know APB was never meant to be realistic, but it had the right feel to it. Now we don't have nice bloom, we have a horrible blue tint that makes everything look cold (In a Californian city...) and on top of that the general unique style of the game over all seems to be in the process of being phased out in favor of a more "Hey look at this, its like those other shooters you kids like" kinda look.  I want to see more of that self adjusting graffiti in menus and hear more of those cool glitchy percussive noises.

Edited by BrandonBranderson, 20 March 2015 - 11:01 AM.

celebrate

celebrate

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

They won't bring back because of their broken promise about changing everything to Scaleform.

While we're at it: BRING BACK TRACERS

Edited by celebrate, 20 March 2015 - 11:43 AM.

Lt-Emerson

Lt-Emerson

Initiate

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 18-March 15

i totally agree with this,

the previous login screen was far too better,it was much more inspiring and "apb suitable" thing than this new fps eater

Carl Emerson. Mount Weather Security Detail.

LtEmerson / Patriot Server

Symbi0tic

Symbi0tic

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 21-February 15

Yeah. Old login screen was better. No one wants to open the game to see a loading screen before they even get to the main menu.

Pretty sure this is the obvious consensus..would be surprised if G1 reverts.

aDarkforrest

aDarkforrest

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1004 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14

i agree as well, bring it back since it didn't load as much stuff as the current login , plus i miss hearing the login song so much qq

4psniQn.jpg?1

ZedsFrags

ZedsFrags

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

+1

I don´t even knew that the Intro looked like that, it looks and sounds awesome, G1 pls bring it back.

"Rules are made to be broken.. Like Buildings! or People.."

Lord Cashpoint

Lord Cashpoint

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4744 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12

The new intro could have worked, but they've all but abandoned the theme that it was trying to create. Might as well as just shove the old screen back.

Royal-Forum-Logo.png

Patriot | yfqv.pngLordCashpoint | criminalgold230.pngAdvancedRookie |

Karkash

Karkash

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 15-June 11

Please do that

EightPower

EightPower

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 22-November 13

Aww, i remember the old login screen was great.. in 2011.. Bring It Back Plox :)

I.G.N : EightPower ( Citadel )   --  Rank 255 [ Creams ]

I.G.N : NineCop     ( Citadel )   --  Rank 120 [ Coppies ]

Jackty

Jackty

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined 21-January 14

Man that old intro.... the feels... mmmm....i would really like it to come back :D +1

Shadow565

Shadow565

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2238 posts
  • Joined 27-March 13

+1 from me.
I do find that the new login screen is a good test of FPS though, it sits generally 10 or so FPS under what i actually play at.(Its sad that its lower then gameplay FPS let alone if it was the same as game FPS)

76561198028196914.png

I'm Australian and I get 300-400ms stable latency but I still manage to do alright

Ai-Zhú

Ai-Zhú

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 26-January 15

What I'd always add to this kind of suggestion is to put it as an option and not as a mandatory thing so that every player could choose for himself if he wants to keep the new or re-implent the old version.

Edited by Ai-Zhú, 16 July 2015 - 03:00 PM.

APB_CLEAN.png

NeXusAscension

NeXusAscension

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12

What I'd always add to this kind of suggestion is to put it as an option and not as a mandatory thing so that every player could choose for himself if he wants to keep the new or re-implent the old version.

You beat me to the punchline. Always keep a option.

Plus. I always hated the new APB loadscreen. It eats my FPS and it sounds like electronica hogwash.

The old theme song will always give me good vibes logging in. That song was so, so good. Hell it was even up lifting.

This new theme is like a pre-teen going emo. It's dank, depressing and abruptly, menacing for apparent reason.

Word2

Word2

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4153 posts
  • Joined 22-November 13

As much as the old log in background went well with loading screens, representing identity and creative options of this game, the current one fits today's APB better. It's unoptimized, sometimes broken shows what the gameplay is all about: guns, running aroundshooting and even more guns.

By the way, still no option to turn off the Armas pop up screen at the start?

yv7Wtyf.jpg

Dennis Tahdella  Bridgette  Word2  Jenz Kempington  Tamara Gryazneva

[ APB The Movie: the cast suggestions ] [ Strange requests and 8bit sprites ]

Doomie

Doomie

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 17-January 13

+1 - I Really would like the old load screen back at least, if not the old music as well. It's just better imo.

Doomie-Crim-R255 Jericho

RIP Colby

Nitric

Nitric

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • Joined 09-January 12

I want to see more of that self adjusting graffiti in menus and hear more of those cool glitchy percussive noises.

This ^

This part of your post made me smile and suddenly flooded me with nostalgia,after all, this theme still runs through all the loading screens, it would be more appropriate for that reason alone.

Enforcer - NitricZenith
Criminal -Xiaolian

Hammer's Forge

Hammer's Forge

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 12-April 13

Good vibes after checking that clip! Not only is the current log in music crap, but also the server selection screen (which used to play RTW's track) that dull traffic noise is literally putting me to sleep.

Bottom line: old was way better.

Edited by Hammer's Forge, 19 July 2015 - 10:13 PM.

2IonHmK.jpg

"Half the world is down the toilet, half on it's way. Ask me why you feel decived and stripped of all your liberties. It doesn't take a genius to explain that today. Our country's gone insane. Get up, get out and vote!"

Fenton

Fenton

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

It's been a couple of days since this was last bumped up.

I miss the music, I miss the style. It was quiet and an excellent way to psyche-up before the action.

The newer login is loud, intrusive and just irritates me.

At least give us an option to choose the older login?

Yukate

Yukate

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1157 posts
  • Joined 20-June 13
All good memories back when I watched that video (The Beacon etc), like Infestation's (warZ whatever) main menu song, that scary and amazing:)

BPaUWGC.png
Citadel EU | Obeya EU1 - 
VarmieN [Crime] | Yukate [Enfo]

Helping newbies... Some1 need :> kappa

iKaitlyn

iKaitlyn

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 04-November 14

I want the loading screen back, I want the tracers, the original Vegas sound. the old bloom effects with the beautiful clouds, and if the RTW weapon sounds didn't have to be changed in Reloaded Open Beta due to Copyright from EA bring those back too, also I want them to put Britney Bloodrose back in her original location

Edited by Jasmyne Rayne, 16 August 2015 - 01:32 AM.

thrown.

thrown.

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Joined 12-January 13

I have to agree, I liked the 2011 login screen, and the background music... It gives me goosebumps watching that lol.

Anything that increases loading times is a turn off imo

due to the injustice of forum mods i am withdrawing from the forums

Flaws

Flaws

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Joined 18-October 13

All my +1s

3hdbaAZ.png FlawsK60XNSc.png Flawzz

Flawss | Flawslol

Citadel | XeNHIUR.png | c6m0umz.png

Thehidden-Tember

Thehidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8987 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

What I don't understand in the new menu is why every time you enter your first district you're in that WildCats car from Ophelia Customs that no one ever uses.

Making indie games while I wait for the engine upgrade:

http://gamejolt.com/...duel-king/21289

BrandonBranderson

BrandonBranderson

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Joined 13-July 13

What I don't understand in the new menu is why every time you enter your first district you're in that WildCats car from Ophelia Customs that no one ever uses.

Yeah I don't get it either.  Probably one of the least popular trucks in the game and its on the district select.  Should put a Gumshoe or the Birth Racing Vegas there because almost everyone has one of those from JMBs.

or even better...

Give us the old menu   :3

Beicher

Beicher

Initiate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 23-May 15

I Agree on that, we need the old login-screen back.

Or atleast the option to choose, as other members has suggested aswell.

The 'new' login-screen makes me wanna break my PC.  :badcomputer:

PheeR

PheeR

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 07-July 11

agreed

Tuck3R

Tuck3R

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 25-October 13

Greatest idea i've ever seen :D +1

Love that idea <3

icon_pistol_act44_laststand_purple.pngicon_assaultrifle_ntec_stock.pngicon_pistol_nano_sd_gold.png icon_sniperrifle_hvr243_purple.pngicon_grenade_lightfrag.png

..........................................................................................................................................................

Server: Citadel Criminal: FastEdd R225

a Pair of Socks

a Pair of Socks

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 26-July 13

+1 Rep.

please reimplement

Put your helmet on and go back to bed.

Ufail

Ufail

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 06-December 11

g1.... do it now.

please?

ReapeR28

ReapeR28

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 05-October 11
+1. I also prefer the character selection before. :/

Queen of Love

Queen of Love

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8596 posts
  • Joined 13-October 12

Totally agree.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Joined 25-August 15
To be fair, and let's not get confused... I want the old log in screen back, but the new one does allow a lot if things to be pre loaded to RAM. So it has a function. Just not a worthwhile one. I find driving around for 30 seconds before I K up is still necessary anyway so...

TheFreelancer

TheFreelancer

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12
Count me in this is dope!

Genobee

Genobee

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5305 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11

I too miss the old login screen. It loaded drastically faster and had a mood about it that encapsulated APB perfectly.

New to APB:R? Take a look at this part of the forum || Find a bug? Report it here!

Looking for something to play until the EU get released?                                                                  フリルネックトカゲ

Mission Rewards Refinement - F2P Guns as Rewards | Improve Communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users