15 replies to this topic

Alvaro Early

Alvaro Early

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
I didnt figured out that it become f2p over year ago. Anybody playing or was playing this? Any opinions?

Posted Image

Alvaro Early

Alvaro Early

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
Ok, I checked it by myself and I like it. Playerbase is very low, about 300 loyal people. As for 13 year old game its not that bad. The authors company kicked bucket but developers still works on it as volunteer. No premiums, no microtransactions. It's mechanics is very complicated and it's almost impossible to play with one character. For example crafting - in FE you just need skill and you can go. In Neocron, you need to have item researched into blueprint by person who have high Research skill, then Construction guy can make a item for you. Rare and powerfull components can be obtained only by deconstructing another item (high Recycle skill needed - another dedicated person). Damaged items can be repaired efficently only by Repair guy. No to mention implants and bone reinforcements requiring Implant guy :P. This mechanics requires people to eighter use all 4 character slots or serve each other.

Combat is skill based, if your skill is low then you wont hit anything (exluding melee, it always hits). High variety of pistols, rifles, heavy weapons(launchers and cannons), high tech (freezers, laser, plasma, ray guns) and melee(from knives to swords). If you seek magic and spells, you can become PSI monk that use mental powers to deal damage or give buffs and healing. More? Each weapon can be modified to use different type of ammo (grenade launcher to shoot poison grenades, laser to deal fire damage and more). You can attach scopes, laserpointers, silencers and flashlight as well. In the end you can use Remote Control skill to use Drones - remote flying robots with guns.

World is quite big, but beside towns rather dull and sterile. Walking through that huge map is pain, so you can construct or buy vehicles to travel faster. Vehicles also have multipassenger armed - version one person drives, other shoot + aircraft and hovercraft. I still dont know if "normal" have multiple passengers, due to lack of vehicle use skill of my chars and low cash :(

PvP is faction and heavily Clan oriented. Clans can capture facilities that produce resources and gives buffs to all clan members. Facility capture have few stages and require some specialization of members (for example without Hacker you will never capture facility). Also clans and players own fully customizable apartaments. PvP is trully open world, you can fight everywhere(beside few sectors) if you are able to find a person to fight :P. If you dont want to participate just dont remove starter implant to be safe.

Enough Pros, now Cons.
-Archaic mechanics for shooting. If your reticle fully lock on target, only that way you will succesfully hit, otherwise you shoot ceil or floor. Looks and feel stupid, ever you must repeat "locking" if your enemy go behind obstacle or it move away from your aim.
-Glitchy as hell. Enemies passing through objects are the least frustrating.
-Ugly. Its engine is some fork of Quake 2 engine, never updated.
-Some people killing newbies just for fun. At least you can pass a name in the public and players in your faction will gladly hunt them down.
-Tiny font for menus.

Posted Image

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
Eh... FE looks much better and feel more fluid. Otherwise I "might" try it, isn't a bad game just... I'd rather smack peeps around in FE :D
Nysek - Mednaught : The only character in FE made of Gammina™

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Special thanks to Thrillchase for ze banner.

Alvaro Early

Alvaro Early

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
Warning tho, don't try it unless you are full of patience...

Posted Image

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Warning tho, don't try it unless you are full of patience...

Hey, I killed Snuggles didn't I? xD

Edited by Reaps989, 08 June 2013 - 12:03 AM.

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

KiakoLalene

KiakoLalene

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 10-September 11
One of best post-apoc/cyber-punk games out there.

Playing since 2009, and no sign of stopping yet.

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

One of best post-apoc/cyber-punk games out there.

If it didn't play like it did... I'd be more interested. The sliding and weaksauce animations drive me insane xD but for how old the game is I admit it incorrigible person boss.

Posted Image

Alvaro Early

Alvaro Early

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12

Little bump in here, game got first wave of high res textures and is in middle of weapon balance project. Steam release is planned when everything will be done.

Posted Image

Calais

Calais

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Nice, last time I checked out this game graphics were a bit uneasy on the eye.

oum60z.png

Love me or hate me. I am flattered to make the minds of so many.

AgentNoir

AgentNoir

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3702 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Little bump in here, game got first wave of high res textures and is in middle of weapon balance project. Steam release is planned when everything will be done.

Nice bump this again when it's on steam if you can, I'd prob actually try it then. Downloaded it before but never got to playing it haha.

Heretic
Nysak

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

I might try this for the lawls... not entirely sure yet.

Posted Image

Racquel

Racquel

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined 14-May 12

Hey, I killed Snuggles didn't I? xD

Yeah while constantly cursing about the knockdown>Stun>knockdown>stun hahahahahahahaha

hZ8HJEd.png

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Yeah while constantly cursing about the knockdown>Stun>knockdown>stun hahahahahahahaha

.... people should be glad they changed it to a root.... while it was fun it was insanely frustrating xD

Posted Image

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Going to point out a few things...

• If you plan to play this it's best played as a group, period. Either that or hoping you can get others to help.
    • Crafting looks quite interesting but you'll want everything.
      • You'll want a constructor to make/modify equipment.
      • You'll want an implant user to swap/install implants to give you amazing stats.
      • Researchers are required so constructors can craft items.
      • Someone skilled in repair is required for equipment and vehicles (flying and ground <3)
  • Hackers are needed for PVP, especially when taking Outposts or looting enemy loot (Random items in a "belt")
    • Can also open crates which can contain some useful items.
  • Drivers can be fun, but it is recommended to get 15 for basic vehicles regardless.
    • There are multi-person vehicles and even flying vehicles, with restrictions of course.
    • Only Private Eyes and Tanks can use the gunner seats due to Strength requirements :(
      • Unsure if it's possible to get legacy vehicles which do have a few gunner seats which require less strength.
  • Multiple kinds of weapons
    • Rifles are still very strong all around, period.
    • Pistols I cannot comment on... I'll have to see with my crafter alt.
    • Melee "can" be good, but in most cases you'd most likely want to use a Cannon for AoE and range.
    • Cannons are basically like rifles but with AoE and lower DPS.
    • There are "mages" but it's pretty much between Support or Offense... due to armors/implants debuffing one or the other.
      • Leveling as a pure support sucks a lot.
  • You can respec points later on, but it does take XP from that stat line which you will have to re-earn unless you overcap on XP or are willing to re-earn the XP you lost.

I can't say this would be my "new game" but I'm not hating it so far... kinda reminds me of a mix of FE and FoM but with faaaaar worse models/graphics. It's mostly the models tho...

Also heals in this are HoT's... but there are plenty of forms of damage mitation which can prolong fights. Plenty of counters all around tho.

I also cannot stress enough this game is very annoying on it's requirements and lacks any information on weapons... but you at least need to make sure you reach minimum requirements for your weapon/tool/vehicle/armor/etc.

Edited by Reaps989, 15 February 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

Karl Martog

Karl Martog

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12

http://www.techhaven.org/  if you want some info.

Neocron is my first mmo and it's a damn good one if you have some decent numbers of players.

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

http://www.techhaven.org/  if you want some info.

Neocron is my first mmo and it's a damn good one if you have some decent numbers of players.

Sadly isn't super informative... if I get into it I might update it. I have an issue when I feel games (well, anything for that matter) lack information for people... might be part of my OCD :D

Edited by Reaps989, 18 February 2015 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users