[TEMP FIX] [Nvidia 600 series GPU issue] Rsod, lockups, freezes and crash to desktop

* * * * * 10 votes

613 replies to this topic

fjcardoso1

Initiate

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 20-November 12

View Postbluefalcon13, on 07 December 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

My 670 has been trucking along on release drivers just fine minus one issue:

After playing for a few hours, after closing down apb, then going to shutdown in windows 7, I randomly get a rsod on shutdown. I dont remember the last time I CTDed, or the last time I hardlocked other than that. Computer never rsods after playing anything other than APB as well. Odd, but thus far I have blamed it on APB and the driver combined. I'll try the cuda thing tonight, but only after a few nights will it be considered gone in my book...

Disabling CUDA will work, as worked for everyone. I recommend moderator to close this topic soon, we already found a solution.

SuperToaster

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

View Postfjcardoso1, on 08 December 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Disabling CUDA will work, as worked for everyone. I recommend moderator to close this topic soon, we already found a solution.
Yeah let's not lock it... The CUDA fix is a temporary fix. We need an official fix.

StuartReloaded

Reloaded Staff

• Reloaded Staff
  • 198 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
Hi Everyone,

I've been asked by NVIDIA to connect this thread and the thread on the Geforce forums:

https://forums.gefor...n-of-death-apb/

There are two important questions:

• Is anyone still disabling monitoring software to allow APB to run?
  • How many of you are still having problems after disabling CUDA?
We'd be very grateful to get a sense of what is still occurring for everyone.

Thanks,
Stuart.

Shini

Ascended

• San Paro City Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3390 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10
A mod should edit the OP of this massive thread to note that a temporary fix is to turn off CUDA.

Pretty much no problems (I think) after disabling CUDA.
Have never disabled the monitoring software.

Edited by Shini, 08 December 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Shini | ShiniDesu
Patriot | Obeya | Joker

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

PartyLena

Initiate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12

View PostStuartReloaded, on 08 December 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked by NVIDIA to connect this thread and the thread on the Geforce forums:

https://forums.gefor...n-of-death-apb/

There are two important questions:

• Is anyone still disabling monitoring software to allow APB to run?
  • How many of you are still having problems after disabling CUDA?
We'd be very grateful to get a sense of what is still occurring for everyone.

Thanks,
Stuart.

Hey stuart! Very nice to see some staff around this topic. :)

From what I've noticed this post is less active than it has been before thanks to dogfish who found out about cuda. ( If he was the source) However, the first question you asked I've never tried and never heard of. But it sounds more complicated then just disabling the Cuda. Maybe it's not, as I said I do not know.. :P

But if you have the rights it would be really good if you could put the Cuda solution to first page, cause it saves us/you time. People don't have patience, they'll check 1st page and the last, and will be asking unessecary questions.

However, this is just a temporary fix and as fjcardoso1 said, he wanted this topic closed. I disagree and i quess you disagree aswell since you asked questions, and that means we are as desperate to get a fix as you are.

I really don't wanna do any tweaks to my graphic card, and this problem has remained for a couple of months now, so hopefully we'll see a fix eventually. I'm not saying that playing APB without cuda is bad, my graphics still looks good & I have no FPS drops or random crashes/rsod. But for us players we've lost abit of hope, only players responding to eachother. So seeing you here gives us a little spark, would be nice to see more of you pass by and update the situation.

Maybe not the anwsers to you're questions but, just updating you abit. Also I don't know if this is any help but i looked around in NVIDIA's controll panel and wanted to check how the graphic card reacts to APB, and it says: "Some shadows render 2d Some objects render at wrong path".

Dunno if it's help but hope it's something. Sorry for the long reply haha. :P

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
I have had no crash issues at all after disabling cuda!!!
and i have lots of monitoring programs running:
cpuz
rainmeter
precisionx
razer game booster
and bandicam

I think most monitoring software are updated to fix the issue.

I hope nvidia can do something with the drivers. Having to go in and tweak the settings to kill cuda every time there is a update can be kinda annoying hehe
Posted Image
rtw closed beta player ---> now

Sciema

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts
  • Joined 25-September 11

View PostShini, on 08 December 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

A mod should edit the OP of this massive thread to note that a temporary fix is to turn off CUDA.

Pretty much no problems (I think) after disabling CUDA.
Have never disabled the monitoring software.
Pretty much this.
I have AIDA64 in startup and I never turn it off.
Disabling CUDA solves all my problems.

View Postaivadarker, on 09 December 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

I hope nvidia can do something with the drivers. Having to go in and tweak the settings to kill cuda every time there is a update can be kinda annoying hehe
Just create an profile for apb. exe with disabled CUDA. On this way, only APB will run without CUDA.

Edited by Sciema, 09 December 2012 - 03:34 AM.

Jotunblut said:

And so it came to pass on the 12th day of the 12th month of the 12th year, Jotunblut decided that Obeya isn't allowed to have nice things.

Posted Image

Posted Image

ClearlyClueless

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Joined 10-December 09
Disabling CUDA does fix the RSOD's, but it also seems to fix the intermittent stuttering my NVIDIA cards used to get including the 580. These stutters would occur randomly causing 1 sec freezes and weird screeching sound which doesn't happen anymore after CUDA is disabled.

This is very interesting.

Clueless - Joker

StuartReloaded

Reloaded Staff

• Reloaded Staff
  • 198 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
Hi Everyone,

Indeed, we rely on the community and people like dogfish a great deal!

As far as NVIDIA are aware, the latest versions of the major monitoring tools should all have fixed the BIOS problems. This was a known RSOD problem dating from the release of the 600-series cards.

The influence of CUDA is very surprising to us. It's not actually used explicitly anywhere by APB: Reloaded. We do use PhysX, of course, which can use CUDA when set up to be hardware accelerated, but we don't use this acceleration. (You might have seen bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport in APBEngine.ini.) So we want to discover what exact influence this is having.

Thanks,
Stuart.

PogoTheClown

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2926 posts
  • Joined 26-November 10
I've been reading this thread for weeks now and have tried using my EVGA GTX 670 with CUDA checked off and it has been working without a single RROD or crash with long hours of play for almost 2 weeks now.

Thanks dogfish. I usually don't say this, but +1 to you.

Mirii Chan

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 16-August 12
Well I guess I got to be the bearer of bad news. The Cuda fix doesn't work for me at all. In fact it makes my situation worse.

It seems that with more than one GPU this solution causes nothing but issues. Yes the Graphics are a bit smoother but they are noticeably slower in game (10fps on average in an action district). Also load screens and shaders don't work correctly. My characters also take on a 'Manga'esc look with a black or white line always outlining them.

So this lead me to remove drivers, GPUs, Windows etc and swapping all my individual components/software. My final conclusion to this is that with one GPU the Cuda Fix works and works well, BUT when you introduce a second (or even third) GPU the Cuda fix does not work.

Before I start tearing my MoBo and water cooling loops apart :badcomputer: , Is anyone else with an SLI setup having the same issue.

reddy?

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined 24-May 11
I actually fixed my issue with this a while back when I used the PCIe 3.0 patch for x79 based systems.

However, with CUDA disabled I don't get that audio stutter and just quite fewer stutters overall. The game just runs immensely better with it off. Very weird when you guys say that you don't actually use any CUDA implementations for anything.
Posted Image

reddy [Enforcer]
redddy [Criminal]

i7 3930K @ 3.2GHz || EVGA GTX 670 2GB || G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz || Asus Rampage IV Gene

StuartReloaded

Reloaded Staff

• Reloaded Staff
  • 198 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12

View Post~M_4_Monkey~, on 10 December 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Well I guess I got to be the bearer of bad news. The Cuda fix doesn't work for me at all. In fact it makes my situation worse.

Hi Monkey,

People are seeing two problems:

• Red Screens of Death (RSOD) when you exit APB.
  • Timeout Detection and Recoveries (TDRs) when playing APB. This is where the screen goes black and it says "display device has stopped responding has recovered".
I think what you are getting are the SLI rendering problems which leads to glowing or invisible characters. Take a look at:

http://forums.gamers...visible-players

Thanks,
Stuart.

Mirii Chan

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 16-August 12

View PostStuartReloaded, on 11 December 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Hi Monkey,

People are seeing two problems:

• Red Screens of Death (RSOD) when you exit APB.
  • Timeout Detection and Recoveries (TDRs) when playing APB. This is where the screen goes black and it says "display device has stopped responding has recovered".
I think what you are getting are the SLI rendering problems which leads to glowing or invisible characters. Take a look at:

http://forums.gamers...visible-players

Thanks,
Stuart.

Thanks for this.
I will give it a try today and let you know if this resolves my issue.

I will say I also get the TDRs error that you mentioned, but only when I start thrashing the hell out of my GPUs with FRAPs or Twitch running in the background.

ElimDK

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 25-October 12
Disabling CUDA cores worked for me.

Intel i7 Sandy Bridge
ASRock Extreme 4 z77
2x 8GB GSkill RAM
Nvidia 660 Ti
120GB Kingston SSD
1 TB Western Digital Caviar
1100 Watt ABS Majesty

denned

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11
Those still having problems after disabling CUDA, should try out the new Nvidia 310.70 BETA driver.
http://www.geforce.c...ers/beta-legacy
G$ fix nano pls.

i5 3570k @ 4200mhz | MSI z77 MPower | Corsair Dominator Platinium 2x8gb 1600mhz
2x Corsair Force 120gb Raid0 | EVGA GTX 680 Signature Edition | Corsair AX1200

TGAMJONNO

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 09-May 11
The game is actually enjoyable to play again now without the random screeching and stuttering! thank you Dogfish!! :D
http://signum.rconne...onNET_19171.png

Patriot: TGAMJONNO (no clan) Enf / wench (Crack Wh0res) crim

BumbleCrap

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 11-October 11
Just dropping by to confirm that disabling CUDA worked for me as well. I'm running a single eVGA 670. Haven't had a RSOD on exit or a random crash while playing in days, approaching weeks.

Posted Image
"With wise old age comes wiseness and stuff." -Rafiki
Oh look, I stream sometimes.

VivianIzoku

Initiate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 30-November 12
Thought it was interesting the mention of a 500 series nVidia having similar troubles. I run a nVidia Geforce 560ti made by nVidia (yes the green box not me assuming an Asus or MSI was made by nVidia). I have not had these issues but I run the current release 306 drivers. Wondering what other factors may be involved in causing the troubles.
Posted Image

Zxan

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-September 11
I have a GTX 660 Ti with 310.70 drivers and I have no problems with it RSOD'ing or anything like that, and I have CUDA enabled.

Things I run in the background are Rainmeter, Coretemp, and Rivaturner

I built my system a few weeks ago, so it's new. Don't know if that really matters.

Loll1pop

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11
Congratz to all! Bug was fixed!

Gamersfirst Moderators delete posts? I'm used to...
Posted Image
Patriot EU2 | Loll1pop | Wall of hate | PM me to order Theme or click here | Youtube channel

SuperToaster

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

View PostLoll1pop, on 18 December 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Congratz to all! Bug was fixed!

You talking about the CUDA fix or did Nvidia ninja patch it? I didn't see anybody say anything about it being officially patched.

Loll1pop

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

View PostSuperToaster, on 18 December 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

You talking about the CUDA fix or did Nvidia ninja patch it? I didn't see anybody say anything about it being officially patched.

no, i'm talking about the patch from G1..
but i said early... RSOD dozent appear after the game. But crash during the game continues =\
Gamersfirst Moderators delete posts? I'm used to...
Posted Image
Patriot EU2 | Loll1pop | Wall of hate | PM me to order Theme or click here | Youtube channel

Systolic / Magic

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 07-January 11
Hello everyone, after a 5 months break from apb, I bought a new laptop and decided to play agian.

System specs: GTX 680m, i7 3630qm, 16gig RAM, Win 8 64bit, two 128gig SSDs.

I am experiencing some strange fps drops, and I am woundering if anyone else has the same issue.
It does not seem to matter if I play the game on max detail or minimum, once or twice a minute my fps dips down to 30 (from 60 as I have smoothing enabled). In order to avoid this issue, I have reduced my resolution to 1280x720 and put everything on minimum, that said my fps still dips to below 40 every now an then. I can stare at the smae spot and watch my fps dip before comming back up again in a few seconds. Has anyone experienced anything similar, and/or has any suggestions on how to fix this?

(PS I have been experiencing same freezes and crashes as many others in this thread. However I have not played enough after the latest nvidia driver update and apb patch to tell if crashes have stopped.)

Posted Image

dogfish

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Joined 07-May 12
Try to see if you can hear the the laptopfan speed up right after this drop in fps, could just be that your gpu gets a little hot. Then you should maybe manually set your fan speed higher by 10-20% or maybe more. OR it's just APB and that's just the way it is.

In most cases if you disable CUDA through Nvidia drivers it should fix all crashes and freezes.

Edited by dogfish, 19 December 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Posted Image
Stream is Posted Image

jascob

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 28-November 12
Finaly this time for real. My gtx 690 with cuda switched on and the latest driver of nvidia 310.70 and the new updat of apb makes it work fine.
:elephantdance:

LeBraiden

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12
Disabling cuda does work. However, when i disable cuda, i can't even play the game, every 8 seconds or so it drops to from 70 fps, to 10 fps. walking, driving, shooting.... cuda enabled I don't get the fps drop every 8 seconds, but i do get rsod and black screens.

This needs to be fixed. I just updated my computer a few days back with a new power supply and gtx 660 ti, spent close to 400 dollars and i can't even play a my favorite game? bleh.

EDIT I just downloaded the new patch, with cuda enabled.. and its fixed! I just need to fix the lag spike issue and i'm good to start playing again.

Edited by LeBraiden, 20 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

SuperToaster

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
Yeah it's not fixed... Unless the devs come in here and say it's officially fixed then you have to realize it's just luck that you haven't crashed yet. I tried playing APB with CUDA enabled just 15 minutes ago and got a BSOD within 5 minutes of being in Financial.

MisTy.

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 19-January 12

View PostMagicP101, on 19 December 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Hello everyone, after a 5 months break from apb, I bought a new laptop and decided to play agian.

System specs: GTX 680m, i7 3630qm, 16gig RAM, Win 8 64bit, two 128gig SSDs.

I am experiencing some strange fps drops, and I am woundering if anyone else has the same issue.
It does not seem to matter if I play the game on max detail or minimum, once or twice a minute my fps dips down to 30 (from 60 as I have smoothing enabled). In order to avoid this issue, I have reduced my resolution to 1280x720 and put everything on minimum, that said my fps still dips to below 40 every now an then. I can stare at the smae spot and watch my fps dip before comming back up again in a few seconds. Has anyone experienced anything similar, and/or has any suggestions on how to fix this?

(PS I have been experiencing same freezes and crashes as many others in this thread. However I have not played enough after the latest nvidia driver update and apb patch to tell if crashes have stopped.)
Hello, I'm having the same problem (strange fps drops). When I stand still with my hands of my keyboard, I'm having 101 fps constant. But when I move my mouse from left to right(or anywhere), my fps would drop from 100 to 60 fps. Of course, when in battle the spikes/screen freeze is much worst and persistent.

I have never encountered this matter ever but after the recent patch(19th december 2012) The spikes/fps drops/screen freeze is occurring frequently, even just in social. I can assure you that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem in HAN/Hong Kong Server.

My Gaming Specs:
Palit GTX 670 (Driver: 306.54 if i can recall properly)
8GB RAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Asus P8H77-MLE MOBO

Fixed: I just updated my drivers to the 310 version. No more spikes now :lovestruck:

Edited by MisTy., 20 December 2012 - 04:59 PM.

I need a signature lol

Kman12

Initiate

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 22-April 12

View PostSuperToaster, on 20 December 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Yeah it's not fixed... Unless the devs come in here and say it's officially fixed then you have to realize it's just luck that you haven't crashed yet. I tried playing APB with CUDA enabled just 15 minutes ago and got a BSOD within 5 minutes of being in Financial.

Have you updated to 310.70? There's something in the driver patch notes about additional CUDA support, so it could be possible that nVidia fixed it with the new drivers.

dogfish

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Joined 07-May 12
Computer froze twice today with CUDA enabled and once after closing the game. CUDA disabled again and no crashes.
Posted Image
Stream is Posted Image

SuperToaster

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

View PostKman12, on 21 December 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Have you updated to 310.70? There's something in the driver patch notes about additional CUDA support, so it could be possible that nVidia fixed it with the new drivers.
I've had 310.70 since it's release. Still crashes. I'm not going to keep experimenting with new drivers. When one of the devs says it's fixed, I'll enable CUDA. Until then, no more experimenting and constantly crashing.

DddyMac13

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Joined 05-June 09
Just had my first ever red screen of death after closing APB using a gtx 680 and drivers 306.97 . Am I suppose to turn off CUDA in nvidia control panel to fix this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

SuperToaster

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

View PostDddyMac13, on 29 December 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Just had my first ever red screen of death after closing APB using a gtx 680 and drivers 306.97 . Am I suppose to turn off CUDA in nvidia control panel to fix this?
Yes. Disabling CUDA has so far fixed most of everybody's issues.

DareDevilDKK

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 08-February 12
got the evga GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ - 3GB
and when i play abp the screen shut off and i have to hard reboot my computer

the cuda fixed my problem

youst to let you guyes know.

;)

OneBadMommy

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 08-January 13
I have a problem where i'm in social and my game will freeze and i can't do anything on computer at all. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti. It only happens in Social...?

Smileyie

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 23-April 11
Cuda fix worked for me GTX680

Edited by Smileyie, 11 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

FreddieT

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 09-January 13
Disabling CUDA didn't work for me sadly enough :/
Still get the freezes that require a hard reboot or a freeze that lowers my FPS from 62 to ~30.

Specs:
Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Gigabyte GTX 660
Corsair Vengance 1600mhz 8GB

Freddie

KoZe

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Joined 23-January 11
Just updated to 310.70-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql game gave me gp fault when loading districts, I reinstalled PB both ways, Deleating folder and installign manually and using the launcher after uninstalling it. Nothing worked. Tried going back to the old driver, but for some reason it still give me GP fault after beeing ingame for about 2 min.

Running with

i7 3770k
nVdia 670
16g DDR3 Ram

=( HALP

Edited by KoZe, 12 January 2013 - 03:02 AM.

Smileyie

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 23-April 11

View PostKoZe, on 12 January 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Just updated to 310.70-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql game gave me gp fault when loading districts, I reinstalled PB both ways, Deleating folder and installign manually and using the launcher after uninstalling it. Nothing worked. Tried going back to the old driver, but for some reason it still give me GP fault after beeing ingame for about 2 min.

Running with

i7 3770k
nVdia 670
16g DDR3 Ram

=( HALP

Did you try 310.90 ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 GamersFirst.com, Reloaded Games, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.®