Photo

[TEMP FIX] [Nvidia 600 series GPU issue] Rsod, lockups, freezes and crash to desktop

* * * * * 10 votes

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

hmm looks look like its still not fixed for me... just got a rsod

probally not fixed for me either, tho i havnt had a rsod in a long time ..
but thats mainly because my game crashs / locks up my computer so i have to hard reboot the pc each time :P ..

really getting tired of this problem .. :s

You've spent 214,867 G1C , which is about 2,686$

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
i wish we could get some help from the dev's...

something like a way to force it to collect info (like a known way to make it crash) would be a perfect way to test if it is actualy a apb issue or if it's just a case of bad drivers/card design

if this problem can be recreated this way i'am sure it could help with the fixing prosess.
if this is not the case then atleast we know what forum to spam hehe (the nvidia forums)
Posted Image
rtw closed beta player ---> now

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

i wish we could get some help from the dev's...

something like a way to force it to collect info (like a known way to make it crash) would be a perfect way to test if it is actualy a apb issue or if it's just a case of bad drivers/card design

if this problem can be recreated this way i'am sure it could help with the fixing prosess.
if this is not the case then atleast we know what forum to spam hehe (the nvidia forums)

well i have this thread on the nvidia forum, and im not the only 1 with the problem.
but it is as people also state there clearly a problem with APB in some way .. since i ONLY crash while playing apb, and exiting apb after hours of playing (if i get to do that since it normally crash's on me way before i want to stop playing) i always get RSOD :) ..

havnt been able to replicate the problem with any other game i play :/

/SwiftyX

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
i have played other games with both unreal engine and punkbuster (not both at the same time though) with no issue at all also...

so i'am also leaning more towards apb having the issues but then again the new drivers looks like they helped me but i may just be lucky.

back with the release drivers i got rsod's all the time
now i only get them ones a week

also looked at your nvidia forum post.
i have a asus motherbord with a x58 chipset (asus p6t deluex v2) so i would be very suprised if its a chipset issue.
Posted Image

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
im pretty sure that its a problem with APB, not punk buster or UE .. since ive like you player other games with both of these present without any problem ..
the drivers havnt made any difference for me ..

If i manage to actually play apb for more than an hour with out crashing, i know with 100% accuracy that when i close apb i will get RSOD ..
but usually i never get to play for that long .. apb tend to lock up my system way before that .. it happens that i get to play for a couple of hours and then i get rsod .. but thats rare :P

objectdotmethod

objectdotmethod

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-July 12
Been having this issue on the 670 GTX as well, and i get this exact screen.

http://www.hartware....00/54575_1b.jpg

Edited by objectdotmethod, 01 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
yep that is a rsod.
i guess its a problem with all 6xx gtx cards then

edit: if a admin see this then can you please change the titel to include 670 aswell?

Edited by aivadarker, 01 July 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

redward

redward

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined 24-May 11
I get this problem on my GTX 670 as well. RSOD on exit and random lock ups and crashes that sometimes require a hard reboot or it restarts the drivers.

One thing that helps is go into your device manager and disable NVIDIA High definition Audio. It has at least stopped the in-game crashes/reboots. The RSOD does still occur from time to time though.
Posted Image

reddy [Enforcer]
redddy [Criminal]

i7 3930K @ 3.2GHz || EVGA GTX 670 2GB || G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz || Asus Rampage IV Gene

objectdotmethod

objectdotmethod

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-July 12
So it his has been open for a month now and no response from a mod or something? Has anyon tried contacting support or come up with a fix?

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
nope no admins or devs have said anything

iam pretty sure they know about the problem and that they have got many tickets for it

there is no know solution for this problem..
Posted Image

lekkimsm2500

lekkimsm2500

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 27-April 11
Aiva, i have both good and bad news.

Good news, you far from the only one, because i have come along to get something helpful on how to get rid of it myself.

Bad news, i have no solution for anything. Derp.

Edit:

But, what i am trying right now at the moment, is to entirely remove any GPU monitering software. I've read some places that might be a cause. Not sure, but i am gonna try it

Edited by lekkimsm2500, 05 July 2012 - 10:13 AM.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
let me know how that goes.... i only have precision x running... and i don't think that is the problem. as it is partly made by nvidia and the rsod only happens after closing apb in my case (the program does not pause or anything when games start so there is no good reason why it should be the cause).
Posted Image

objectdotmethod

objectdotmethod

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-July 12
Been using the new beta drivers for the past 30minutes and no problems so far.

Link

http://www.nvidia.co...eta-driver.html

Edit: Result-RSOD'ed

Edited by objectdotmethod, 07 July 2012 - 10:28 AM.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
already had a rsod with those... so still no fix.
Posted Image

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
I still hold on the problem is caused by APB ..

"..users report new problem with their cards, which is a Red Screen of Death. An Error occurs when some monitoring or diagnostic program tries to read card’s BIOS. A developer from AIDA32 explains this situation..."

I think when we close APB it collect silent information about the system .. and might try to read the Bios as well of the GFX card .. which results in RsoD on the kepler cards ..

This is also why the Rsod doesnt happen straight away but 2-4 seconds after you close the game. all points towards apb collecting information ..

we need a dev in here, to either confirm or denie this :P ..

but thats just my theory .. since apb is the only game i have this problem with ..

/SwiftyX

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
yes a response from devs/admins would be great....

this topic have close to 2000 views 55 posts and yet still there is no info on a fix or even if this is a apb issue...

a message saying that this is being looked at would be enough for me to be happy...
Posted Image

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
Theres a new beta driver out :)
but dont get your hopes up after i installed it, i havnt been able to join a district .. it just finish loading and shows the screen where u pick spawn .. and then 2 sec after crash :P .. hurra for apb and kepler :) ..

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11

Theres a new beta driver out :)
but dont get your hopes up after i installed it, i havnt been able to join a district .. it just finish loading and shows the screen where u pick spawn .. and then 2 sec after crash :P .. hurra for apb and kepler :) ..

not sure what drivers you refere to but if its 304.79 BETA then they were already mentioned and yes they are very bad... had to go back to older drivers .... was crashing many many times with 304.79 BETA.... and yes hurra for apb and kepler lol
Posted Image

CinnamonSnap

CinnamonSnap

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Joined 19-March 11
I started getting the rare crash again a while ago (shortly after I posted about windowed mode in here, funnily enough) but it wasn't anything of a problem, and only happened once in a while. Windows did an update last night/this morning and now I have tried a few times, unsuccessfully to join an instance. I think it's frozen twice, and has crashed to desktop with that RTW "tell us what's wrong" box twice aswell. I'm going to try some of the things suggested in this thread before I start to freak again, but this is disappointing. I was about a day away from getting Premium too. (glad it died before I got Premium though)

Edited by CinnamonSnap, 11 July 2012 - 04:37 PM.

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

not sure what drivers you refere to but if its 304.79 BETA then they were already mentioned and yes they are very bad... had to go back to older drivers .... was crashing many many times with 304.79 BETA.... and yes hurra for apb and kepler lol

yeah im sorry missed that it had allready been mentioned :) ..

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
bump......
if a gm/dev/admin/moderator would read this topic that would be great

update:
i can now say with confidence that this is a apb issue....
i was playing with a friend and the game crashed doing a mission and the bug report window was showing,,,
so i did a little test. i waited 7-10 sec (rsods happen 2-5 sec after exit) and then clicked sent
and less then a sec after i got a rsod.
i know most monitoring programs have been updated to not cause rsod's so if apb could be updated in the same way that would be great

Edited by aivadarker, 16 July 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Posted Image

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

bump......
if a gm/dev/admin/moderator would read this topic that would be great

update:
i can now say with confidence that this is a apb issue....
i was playing with a friend and the game crashed doing a mission and the bug report window was showing,,,
so i did a little test. i waited 7-10 sec (rsods happen 2-5 sec after exit) and then clicked sent
and less then a sec after i got a rsod.
i know most monitoring programs have been updated to not cause rsod's so if apb could be updated in the same way that would be great

^This !

i had the same error report thingy yesterday .. waited to send nothing happened .. right after i send the report i got RSOD ..

Please oh Please G1 just look into it :P ..

/Swifty

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
Hmm
Try this out, ive managed to close APB 2 times after playing now without getting locked out by RSOD

note: this is not a fix but might be a workaround while someone hopefully work at the problem :)

1. Exit apb
2. the Sec you get out to windows hit ctrl + alt + Delete, so you get to that "what you wonna do screen" leave it there
3. after a few secs the screen goes black (like driver reboot), - let it stay for a little
4. when the picture comes back, just cancel on the "what you wonna do screen" and you should be back to a working windows.

Again only tried this 2 times but seems to avoid the rsod ..
so i guess its worth a shot ..

let me know how it works for you guys :)

EDIT: Nvm worked 2 out of 5 times. .
/SwiftyX

Edited by SwiftyX, 19 July 2012 - 01:06 AM.

lekkimsm2500

lekkimsm2500

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 27-April 11
Godt darker, nu skal du bare høre!

Nu er der gået to uger siden jeg fjernede ALT software som holder øje med grafikkortets værdier. Og det lader faktisk til at have gjort det!

Jeg har spillet APB, Battlefield 3, Fallout NV, Tropico 4, altså meget blandet spil, og jeg har ladet det køre hårdt i høje/ultra settings.

Jeg har ikke haft en RSOD siden da.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11

Godt darker, nu skal du bare høre!

Nu er der gået to uger siden jeg fjernede ALT software som holder øje med grafikkortets værdier. Og det lader faktisk til at have gjort det!

Jeg har spillet APB, Battlefield 3, Fallout NV, Tropico 4, altså meget blandet spil, og jeg har ladet det køre hårdt i høje/ultra settings.

Jeg har ikke haft en RSOD siden da.

interesting find lekkimsm2500
for those who do not speak danish (kinda look like most do lol)
he have been going without rsod's for 2 weeks now.
the thing he tryed was turning off all monitering software.

i have my doubts that this will fix all rsods but it may remove some... as already said i only have the issue in apb and it looks like it can be replicated by clicking sent button on bug reports (had it happen again after i posted it .. but this time it did not happen... that said the bug report thing crashed so i dont thing it got the chance to get the info).
Posted Image

lekkimsm2500

lekkimsm2500

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 27-April 11

interesting find lekkimsm2500
for those who do not speak danish (kinda look like most do lol)
he have been going without rsod's for 2 weeks now.
the thing he tryed was turning off all monitering software.

i have my doubts that this will fix all rsods but it may remove some... as already said i only have the issue in apb and it looks like it can be replicated by clicking sent button on bug reports (had it happen again after i posted it .. but this time it did not happen... that said the bug report thing crashed so i dont thing it got the chance to get the info).

Not turning off - REMOVING
As in, removing everything and cleaning associated registration keys that might have had something to do with mentioned software. (Revo Uninstaller can do this for you)

And this includes windows desktop gadgets, over-clocking software, software that might tag along with drivers for your card (i.e. EVGA), and third party programs.

Everything went. The only thing left is pretty much just the driver for my card. Thats it

Edited by lekkimsm2500, 19 July 2012 - 07:31 AM.

D3v1ld0g

D3v1ld0g

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 19-July 12
Same problems for me with my Gainward GTX680 Phantom...Just installed W7 on my computer yesterday, uninstalled all tools, used the newest WHQL driver...after 4h of player i first was happy, that i had no RSOD after exiting the game...about 30 seconds later...booom -.- again..

It sucks...

Percocet

Percocet

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1671 posts
  • Joined 30-May 12
Only had Red screen once and it did not require a hard reset, went and got something to eat and came back and it was fine. Around a month with the new rig and no sign of it since. This is not limited just to apb, there have been many other recorded instances of it happening with different games/programs. I have only heard of one instance where it bricked a gpu, since the series was just released it is not uncommon to have a few bugs. Will most likely be remedied with further updates from nvidia.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
thanks for clearing that up :) ...
have been doing a bit of research and it looks like old everest/aida 64 versions has some problems with rsods but the newest beta drivers fix it (have made it not start with windows to test if that helps). evga admins say that precision x should not be able to cause rsods that that one should be safe
new versions of cpuz and gpuz are safe aswell

found a few people saying that red orcestra crashes on closing aswell so there may be some truth to the monitering software being the problem for apb aswell. that said it should crash when game stops and not when bug reporting does its thing. but i may be wrong on that one
Posted Image

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11

Only had Red screen once and it did not require a hard reset, went and got something to eat and came back and it was fine. Around a month with the new rig and no sign of it since. This is not limited just to apb, there have been many other recorded instances of it happening with different games/programs. I have only heard of one instance where it bricked a gpu, since the series was just released it is not uncommon to have a few bugs. Will most likely be remedied with further updates from nvidia.

for me it does infact crash... if i leave it for 30 min+ it will restart the pc... this may be what happoned to you. have had this happen 4+ times now. never have it come back
Posted Image

D3v1ld0g

D3v1ld0g

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 19-July 12
So, I trief the hint of shutting the display down and than on again...and it worked for me..the display driver was restarted

Percocet

Percocet

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1671 posts
  • Joined 30-May 12

for me it does infact crash... if i leave it for 30 min+ it will restart the pc... this may be what happoned to you. have had this happen 4+ times now. never have it come back

Nah, I had the forums open and a skype chat at the time, all were retained with no reboot. Since then all I have done is disabled Nvidia hd sound to stop the screen freezes in apb lately, no rsod or screen freeze since then. Been about 3 and 1/2 weeks now. Think I was gone around 5-7 minutes to make lunch, no idea if it took less time than that to go back to normal.

Edited by Percocet, 19 July 2012 - 02:15 PM.

-Ego-

-Ego-

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 17-January 12
If you want to fix this use the graphics driver on the CD that came with your card. Never update it either.

Trust me on this one, especially if you're on newer systems. The newer drivers will never be better than that one.

Obeya - Eg0o - BitFenix (Ego/Xiu/IIProjectIIIIXIV)

Posted Image

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11

Nah, I had the forums open and a skype chat at the time, all were retained with no reboot. Since then all I have done is disabled Nvidia hd sound to stop the screen freezes in apb lately, no rsod or screen freeze since then. Been about 3 and 1/2 weeks now. Think I was gone around 5-7 minutes to make lunch, no idea if it took less time than that to go back to normal.

when it happons to me and iam on skype people lose connection to me (it says iam offline) but well we may not have the same issue. as said have tryed waiting it out only to have it restart the computer.. can't even turne on/off numlock and all audio will start looping into horrible noise.

@-ego- already tryed that... got the rsods more often and got bad preformance plus games crashed alle the time.
Posted Image

-Ego-

-Ego-

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 17-January 12

when it happons to me and iam on skype people lose connection to me (it says iam offline) but well we may not have the same issue. as said have tryed waiting it out only to have it restart the computer.. can't even turne on/off numlock and all audio will start looping into horrible noise.

@-ego- already tryed that... got the rsods more often and got bad preformance plus games crashed alle the time.

Then you didn't install the driver properly. Make sure the older ones are COMPLETELY uninstalled. Registries too.
The reason why the drivers for the 680 are so bad is because the card is a PCI 3.0 native card. Nvidia for some reason decided to withdraw it at the last minute, even for IvyBridge systems. The drivers other than stock CD's cause i/o errors leading to red screens. It's harmless.

Monitoring software running whilst running stock drivers are fine too.

What make do you have out of curiosity?

Edited by -Ego-, 19 July 2012 - 04:09 PM.

Posted Image

D3v1ld0g

D3v1ld0g

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 19-July 12
Nope, that wont work for all -Ego-
Did the same with my gtx..used the drivers Gainward put on their cd..and got the rsod after i quit the game

-Ego-

-Ego-

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 17-January 12

Nope, that wont work for all -Ego-
Did the same with my gtx..used the drivers Gainward put on their cd..and got the rsod after i quit the game

Aw =/ Sorry.

Posted Image

ThePersona

ThePersona

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12
You probably exit APB and open something else instantly. Try to give it like 20 seconds before you do anything else when you close APB, atleast till the issue is fixed.

:)

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

You probably exit APB and open something else instantly. Try to give it like 20 seconds before you do anything else when you close APB, atleast till the issue is fixed.

:)

No, The problem exist :) .. its not because you open something right after .. everytime i close apb after gaming for some time i just sit there and watches the screen mindlessly for 5-7 seconds waiting for it to go red so i can reset my system xD ..

Caution811

Caution811

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10
I'm doing an RMA with Evga for my 680, the issues just kept happening and maybe something is wrong with my card. But I did notice this, this post (http://forums.gamers...-with-revoemag/) shares a link where on the first part of the video someone asks Revoemag about the gtx 600 series and seems they know about some bug issue but it wasn't talked about that much in the video it was just a quick few seconds.

Start watching at 4:10 and you'll hear it being mentioned. So there might be some issue with the game running on the 600 series and it might not be our systems or drivers. But who knows!
I think we may actually do that. Armas Extra Strength Tissue Paper - for QQs that just won't stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users