Photo

[TEMP FIX] [Nvidia 600 series GPU issue] Rsod, lockups, freezes and crash to desktop

* * * * * 10 votes

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
DB's Ninja-edit
Nvidia have released new beta drivers 320.00, which should address players having to disable CUDA. If for any reason any players still have this issue, please reply in this thread or visit Nvidia support forum.

https://forums.gefor...eforce-drivers/

Jotun-Edit
Some players are reporting that switching off CUDA in the nVidia control panel seems to help this issue. It's not an officially supported work around so use at your own risk but many users have reported that this appears to fix this issue. We're investigating further. Thank you for your patience.

Hello i have now had my nvidia geforce gtx 680 for a few month now and ever sins i got it. I have had problems with getting a red screen of death when i quit apb....
i know i'am not the the only one with this issue. i have seen it mentioned on multiple driver topics...

today i found this news post on videocardz.com http://videocardz.co...-of-death-issue

i kinda sounds to me like apb might be doing the same thing (trying to get info from the videocards bios)

this issue will most likely be fixed by a driver update but until then, is there anything you can do to make apb not do this? (if apb does it at all that is)

edit: this issue also exist for gtx 670
  • Loll1pop likes this
Posted Image
rtw closed beta player ---> now

Lavans

Lavans

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Joined 14-March 11
I have yet to come across the red screen. No problems using 302.24 or 302.59

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Ohman this is weird, I have baught a complete new game-pc a bit over a week ago, and yes I also have been getting red screens of death. I have read SO MUCH about it and couldn't figure what it was. Yes I read about reading videocard stuff makes it give red screens. And suddenly TODAY, I thought to myself.. would it have to do with playing / quiting APB, are there more people having this problem? > Googled Read screen apb and found this post.. Unfortunetely I brought my PC back to the store for repair. Because I was getting sick n tired of getting the red screens. And yes it also happend to me ALL the time after playing APB for couple of hours, then quiting.. wanting to start Chrome, or restart APB and BOOM red screens.. But I wassn't sure it ONLY happend with APB... ooh man I feel so bad right now, because the store is NEVER going to find a solution to my red screen problem? (no defect card, don't think it happens when playing other games?? ) So whatever they will test, it problably won't occure when they are testing..

anyway, I'm not entirely sure it only happend to me when playing/quiting APB, so that's why I brought my PC back to the store.. (wassn't using monitoring tools or anything, yet it happend.. probably when quiting APB..) so anyhow I have a problem that needs to get fixed, but is this a simply driver fix? Are there drivers that already make sure I'm not getting red screens when quiting APB n stuff?

Might have brought my PC back for repair for no reason :/ , Because I Doubt they will be able to reproduce the red screens / find a solution for it..

Is there anyone out here, that knows a solution that will perm. fix the red screens? are the driver LAVANS is talking about drivers that make the red screens go away? (did you used to have red screens and fixed it with these specific drivers?)

Please reply!

Us, GTX680 / APB users/players NEED to get this fixed! :( (And no, simply quiting APB issn't the right solution! :P )

Thanks in advance!

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
will have to give those dev drivers a try then (302.59)
will get back with more info if it helps

this problem is most likely related to the info sent to gamers first doing errors... well that is my guess anyways..

even if the next "official" public drivers fix the problem it still may be a good idea to fix it in the game aswell so that people that aint as good at updating there drivers don't give up on playing apb.

edit: now this is interesting after installing 302.59 i try'ed closing apb a few times ... even forcing it to do so using the task manager (i'am guessing that will cause a few errors) and got no red screen of death
looks like the dev drivers fixed it... that said it is not really fixed before the drivers is open to the public and not on 3rd party sites

Edited by aivadarker, 04 June 2012 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
So.. you're saying that with those "beta/3rd party - nvidia drivers" you are not getting red screens anymore after closing the game? did you do a test of like 4 hours playing > exiting the game? (Because I was getting them after a few hours of playing > quiting..) anyway IF this is true, that means that the next Nvidia drivers SHOULD fix this problem completely for me? (NOW that is some positive news!! :P )

If you read this, could do like a test of a couple of hours and then quiting and see what happens? then reply back here?

Thanks in advance!

will have to give those dev drivers a try then (302.59)
will get back with more info if it helps

this problem is most likely related to the info sent to gamers first doing errors... well that is my guess anyways..

even if the next "official" public drivers fix the problem it still may be a good idea to fix it in the game aswell so that people that aint as good at updating there drivers don't give up on playing apb.

edit: now this is interesting after installing 302.59 i try'ed closing apb a few times ... even forcing it to do so using the task manager (i'am guessing that will cause a few errors) and got no red screen of death
looks like the dev drivers fixed it... that said it is not really fixed before the drivers is open to the public and not on 3rd party sites

Scimon

Scimon

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 28-June 11
I've run into the same issue and I wonder if maybe killing the APB catcher process on startup of APB would fix this? From what I understand it is the error reporting process for APB and may be what is querying the video card bios.

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12

I've run into the same issue and I wonder if maybe killing the APB catcher process on startup of APB would fix this? From what I understand it is the error reporting process for APB and may be what is querying the video card bios.

Could be, However this still issn't a perm. fix. APB should fix this then, because it seems I'm only having red screens after quiting APB.. (Cannot remember I still had any after uninstalling all monitoring programs and doing a clean install on drivers.

Anyhow are you having red screens like I do after playing for a while and then quiting? (I could reproduce it 100% after playing for couple of hours > quiting )

So.. could you try and kill that process and try and reproduce your red screens and report back here and see what happens? (if this would fix my red screen issue for APB then I would be more then happy, since I don't think I'm getting any RSOD's anymore besides when quiting APB)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: You are using a GTX-680 aswell right??

Edited by 3DPreview, 05 June 2012 - 05:49 AM.

Blaz3

Blaz3

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 14-May 12
It is not an APB problem.

http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=229976

Have a browse at http://forums.nvidia...p?showforum=256

The 600 series is generally quite buggy.

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• San Paro City Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10
It's a shame really, it's an awesome card but they really got some monkeys making their drivers

Shini | ShiniDesu
Patriot | Obeya | Joker

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Scimon

Scimon

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 28-June 11
Yes, I have a 680 and I only get the red screen after playing for a couple of hours. I also have never had it happen with any other game.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
yesterday i played for many hours 10 hour+ with no red screen of death (or any other grafic bugs.. like crashing drivers)... so to me it looks like it got fixed with the new dev drivers

but could just be me being lucky

Edited by aivadarker, 05 June 2012 - 08:50 AM.

Posted Image

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
That's a good thing I guess, this should mean that hopefully with the next real drivers from Nvidia (Probably end June) this might be fixed perm. Thanks for all the info guys!

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Any1 can give me a link to the 302.52 drivers? Might aswell give those a try already see how that goes. BTW did you simply do a clean install for these 302.52? or is there something specific I need to do to get them to work?

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• San Paro City Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10
302.59 Drivers

http://downloads.gur...nload-2912.html

I just installed them over the old ones.

Edited by Shini, 06 June 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Shini | ShiniDesu
Patriot | Obeya | Joker

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
hmmm looks like i have just been lucky (or it somwhat helped).....
just got the red screen of death after closing again.

hope there will be a fix soon

Edited by aivadarker, 06 June 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Posted Image

Scimon

Scimon

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 28-June 11
I tried the 302.59 drivers and still get red screens occasionally on exit as well as occasional black screen freezes in game.

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Scimon, you were talking about killing a process upon laucnhing the game, have you tried this and see what happens / wether you still get RSOD when playing / quiting after a few hours?

Anyway Just got my PC back, Just going to stop playing APB for a while untill I get news about new drivers perm fixing this issue. Like other I haven't experienced this issue (yet) in other games. So aslong as I am not getting them in other games I can live with it. Played Diablo 3 yesterday for hours, no problems and no RSOD when quiting. Also played few hours league of legends, also no problems at all..

To be continued..

Caution811

Caution811

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10
I get the RSOD too after closing APB after playing for a few hours, but its not really a death screen. If you wait a few minutes or turn off your display and turn it back on it goes back to normal, then you see the little Nvidia Driver crashed error. In case you didn't know that, just wait a bit or restart your display and it should go back to the desktop without having to do a hard reboot.
I think we may actually do that. Armas Extra Strength Tissue Paper - for QQs that just won't stop.

atterdag

atterdag

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 28-November 10
I've got the same issue, but I've noticed that it mostly happens when PB starts scanning. Not sure others have the same experience?

[...], and furthermore, add a latency column to the scoreboard already!

On irc.gamesurge.net/#apb it was said:

<Voerman> I can gosh darn a dog and I won't become a cow.
* Voerman shrugs.

Enf - JackieBrown @ Patriot EU2 - Reformed / Crim - JenYu @ Patriot EU2 - Pink Slippers

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
hmmm interesting find caution811
i have tried waiting a min or 2 but not more then that
i always thought it crashed for real as it sounds like all audio dies aswell (skype calles end as soon as the red screen shows itself (the people i talk to cant hear me aswell)

will have to test powering down the monitor next time....

when i see the red screen i usually restart right away as i have my windows installed on a ssd so getting back takes less then 2 min ( :
still pisses me off thought.... this really should be fixed asap!
Posted Image

Kliptx

Kliptx

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 13-June 12
I also have a red screen and freezes the game. Someone was able to find a solution to this problem?

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• San Paro City Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10
Try the beta 302.59 drivers I linked above.

Shini | ShiniDesu
Patriot | Obeya | Joker

Kliptx

Kliptx

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 13-June 12

Try the beta 302.59 drivers I linked above.

Yes thanks, I saw your message. How come after work I will install them. =)

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
for anyone interested 304.48 beta drivers got released today!!! not sure if they fix it yet but will be back after more testing
Posted Image

Kliptx

Kliptx

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 13-June 12

for anyone interested 304.48 beta drivers got released today!!! not sure if they fix it yet but will be back after more testing

Has anyone played with 304.48 problems disappear?

runar89

runar89

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 29-May 11
I tried them with gtx 670. Total failure for me. The gtx is going back to store for full refund, and in goes my old hd6870 thats runs apb smooth as butter in comparrison to the 670.

LEEROOYjesic

LEEROOYjesic

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 04-March 11
304.48 fixes VSYNC stutter, anyway GFX, CPU monitor programs can trigger red screen and some games too because it tries to read the bios. (ITS NOT A DRIVER ISSUE)

Edited by LEEROOYjesic, 19 June 2012 - 05:11 AM.

Posted Image

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11

304.48 fixes VSYNC stutter, anyway GFX, CPU monitor programs can trigger red screen and some games too because it tries to read the bios. (ITS NOT A DRIVER ISSUE)

pro tip read the first post instead of posting what we all already know...

anyway it looks a lot to me like i can also be a driver issue as i have had:
20+ rsod's with driver version 301.42
1 rsod with 302.59
and none at all with 304.48 (they may still exist but have yet to spot them)
Posted Image

3DPreview

3DPreview

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Mmmm been a while, reading up now again.. Yes I have also heard new betá drivers are out.. Could you do some more testing with them and report back here to see wether the RSOD's a completely gone now? (play for hours > Quit see if it happens and stuff)

Haven't played APB since I got my PC back, no RSOD's at all.. so will be back playing APB as soon as I'm 100% sure RSOD's have been fixed.. (not getting ANY RSOD's when playing Diablo, league of legends or CoD: MW2 / 3 ..)

Thanks in advance, and hope to hear from you soon! :)

pro tip read the first post instead of posting what we all already know...

anyway it looks a lot to me like i can also be a driver issue as i have had:
20+ rsod's with driver version 301.42
1 rsod with 302.59
and none at all with 304.48 (they may still exist but have yet to spot them)

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
For me the RSOD still resides after 304.48 ..
But its only when i exit apb after some time playing .. its a sure win .. exits .. 5 sec .. RSOD :) ..

dont know what to do .. all monitoring tools turned off :) .

i think apb collects some silent information about the hardware people are using .. which could result in this ..

You've spent 214,867 G1C , which is about 2,686$

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
i have played multiple 4 hour+ play's and no rsod's and no driver crashes..
i have been looking a little at over clocking and it looks like apb is not very happy when you do so.. donno if you guys with problems overclock but i tryed turning it abit down and this atleast helped with the driver crashing problem.
Posted Image

Caution811

Caution811

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10

For me the RSOD still resides after 304.48 ..
But its only when i exit apb after some time playing .. its a sure win .. exits .. 5 sec .. RSOD :) ..

dont know what to do .. all monitoring tools turned off :) .

i think apb collects some silent information about the hardware people are using .. which could result in this ..

I think that's what it is, or steam or something is trying to log some sort of hardware info and causes it to RSOD. I'm using the new beta drivers, I always do a clean install and never install the audio drivers and such that come with it and I still get the RSOD when closing the game. I only get it when I play for a certain amount of time and if I change districts more then once, if I go from social to financial then waterfront and played for like more then two hours, I know I'm getting a RSOD.

Weird thing is with the new drivers I cant shut off my monitor or wait anymore for it to restart the driver, it seems to fully freeze up for me now.
I think we may actually do that. Armas Extra Strength Tissue Paper - for QQs that just won't stop.

ras!

ras!

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-December 11
The RSoD isn't that big of a deal, at least in my case, since it never occurred while playing and it didn't require a hard reboot. What I can't tolerate are the lockups, which do force a hard reboot. I have locked up four times now under different circumstances. My friends who also own a GTX 680 experience similar lockups. Sometimes the screen is frozen and there is a buzzing noise, sometimes the screen just goes black, and one of the times when I froze the music in the background kept playing but the screen was frozen. I also experience an occasional stutter in game that causes a buzzing noise. This leads up to the eventual lockup, but it is unpredictable.

I've tried the latest WHQL driver, the latest beta driver, and the 301.10 driver (initial release for the GTX 680), and nothing makes a difference. I've also suspected it to be a problem with Realtek and so I tried different driver versions including just the default Microsoft sound drivers, and again, no difference.

I'm not sure if this is on nVidia's end or G1's end, but it is really frustrating to have to deal with this. I've chosen not to play the game until this is addressed because all these lockups and hard reboots are not good for my hardware.

Please look into this, thanks.

Also note that I have had zero hiccups through general use or in games with my setup since I have owned the GTX 680 since its release, aside from APB.

Edited by ras!, 24 June 2012 - 06:42 PM.

CinnamonSnap

CinnamonSnap

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Joined 19-March 11
*Possible fix*

This has been working for me fine, I used to get random computer freezes and that red screen thing, but running the game in windowed mode has fixed those problems for me. The game still tries to crash once every half hour or so, I get a sound and screen freeze for a moment but the game goes back to normal right away. I've had one case where the screen went black for about 4-5 seconds, and when it came back my framerate was really bad for about a minute, but everything started working fine again after that.

Once again, I highly recommend trying the game in windowed mode if you are having game freezes and red screens on exit.

Edited by CinnamonSnap, 24 June 2012 - 10:48 PM.

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

*Possible fix*

This has been working for me fine, I used to get random computer freezes and that red screen thing, but running the game in windowed mode has fixed those problems for me. The game still tries to crash once every half hour or so, I get a sound and screen freeze for a moment but the game goes back to normal right away. I've had one case where the screen went black for about 4-5 seconds, and when it came back my framerate was really bad for about a minute, but everything started working fine again after that.

Once again, I highly recommend trying the game in windowed mode if you are having game freezes and red screens on exit.

hmm it can never hurt to try :) .. ill report back with my results :P ..

thanks for sharing :)

/Swifty

ras!

ras!

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-December 11

*Possible fix*

Nope, still getting the same crash.

Can we get a word from the devs on this?

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

Nope, still getting the same crash.

Can we get a word from the devs on this?

yeah im experiencing the same issues .. only apb that crashes my system ..

archzilla

archzilla

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11

yeah im experiencing the same issues .. only apb that crashes my system ..

I've been having the same issue, red screen on exit (not consistently). I also will sometimes freeze ingame and have to hard reboot. Have tried windowed, different drivers, no effect. It's only APB that has this issue, I can play anything else I have installed without issue.

I'd love to see some feedback from the devs on this, I was actually going to get back into this game as the deathmatch arenas are a lot of fun, but I'm not going to hard reboot 3 times a night just to play.

SwiftJustice

SwiftJustice

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

I've been having the same issue, red screen on exit (not consistently). I also will sometimes freeze ingame and have to hard reboot. Have tried windowed, different drivers, no effect. It's only APB that has this issue, I can play anything else I have installed without issue.

I'd love to see some feedback from the devs on this, I was actually going to get back into this game as the deathmatch arenas are a lot of fun, but I'm not going to hard reboot 3 times a night just to play.

Exactly the same here, and today ive yet to be able to play, each time i enter a district whether it be social or action my pc locks up and i have to hard reset ..
so clearly a problem with APB..

edit: just noticed never had Anti alising set to anything else but NONE in apb ..

Edited by SwiftyX, 26 June 2012 - 06:00 AM.

aivadarker

aivadarker

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
hmm looks look like its still not fixed for me... just got a rsod
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic