devil_kit

devil_kit

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12
This is mostly the default UI slightly rebuilt to be colorblind friendly

Many icon changes are included so they don't blend easy with the mini map and strategic map and utilize larger icons / colors that are easier to see.

The current version is v0.4 development has stopped pending Next Weeks patch (when I will decide if I'm going to go further support G1 or not)

So why a colorblind version? Here are two screen shots of the game- the first one someone who isn't colorblind- the 2nd to someone who is

1) http://i1089.photobu... Earth/001a.jpg

2) http://i1089.photobu... Earth/001b.jpg

When you view these two pictures side by side you see that the green and red colors turn into varying shades of yellow or blue- With FE's horrible choice of only providing green/red for some of the UI Window options I have yet to figure out how to change it (if I can at all) and its recent addition of color coding only system for factions this proves a huge problem on the mini map for a colorblind player. The previous 'friendly' system was more manageable- I could have changed 'unfriendlies' to diamond shape icons on map so you'd know they were unfriendly- even if all one color. But now with the new UI changes I found no good solution except for you to manually edit and change your .tga files - but as of today i abandoned further development of the skin pending next weeks patch.

A color blind player should be able to manage the new UI slightly better as there is a high contrast / color change for much of the UI for better presentation.

Things still need to be done - More icon size / alpha layer changes- especially in the mail.tga file - some Icon color / shape / size changes.

Overall I liked where the direction was going but I already invested over 60 hrs of researching into colorblindness to find out which color palletes / options / icon shapes work, actual photoshopping of hand made icons, physiclaly testing each UI build, recieving emails and feed back from some colorblind testers to change UI elements to their need, and such. I'm not making money off this so I'm stopping development here.

Any way Enjoy the skin- you can download it here.

https://docs.google....RnJia3RpRVZrdWs

Just click on file and save

PREVIEW SCREEN SHOT

Posted Image

The included Read Me text in the .zip file

---=====-- Default UI Colorblind Friendly --=====--

This is an attempt to create a color blind friendly UI using the default User Interface, many items are 'gray scaled' as a base color with important information highlighted by the default yellow-orange tone of the Default UI. I tried to change icons to similar ones or simply swapped the color pallete to be CB friendly, or increased the 'border' of them to make them pop out more on the map.

I myself am not color blind but understand the need for a colorblind friendly UI. And have been approached in game as a Hazmat volunteer with questions if there is one.

--KNOWN ISSUES--

a) Since the 2.9 UI release all factions are now color coded- I did implement a very well done change to the 'friendly' style system used prior to the 2.9 patch which worked wonderfully. The implementation of the 2.9 patch makes this harder to do now as pure color coded icons with no difference in shape makes it hard for them to distinguish- I am currently working on implementing icon shape and color for each faction.

b ) Red and Green pure colors in various windows still exist- Possibly hard coded into the game itself and I cannot edit - investigating work arounds.

c) GMs have yellow names and Hazmat volunteers are green names- unfortunately for a colorblind person Green becomes more yellow-gold thus both GMs and Hazmat names appear identical colors, I cannot change this as its server side- The colors can remain the same but turn down the 'brightness' or 'contrast'of one of them or change one to a blue color. Can fix this if G1 ever feels they need to.

d) The Icon changes to the mini map / strategic map don't appear on your mouse cursor when you mouse over nodes them- showing the default cursor icons instead.

--INSTALLATION--

Locate the default CB v04 .zip file

Find your Fallen Earth folder - this varies by operating system

Find the skins folder in your fallen earth game folder, extract the folder from the zip file into the skins folder

Start Fallen Earth and select the default CB from the Interface options - if in game when selected relog your character to apply the UI

Enjoy

--DESIGN NOTES--

Version 0.1 failed with a simple color only pallete swap as the Icons still were hard to see for the colorblind.

Version 0.2 This is the first version where the alpha layers and icons were changed- moderate success but revisions needed

Version 0.3 HEAVILY modified version to the default 2.9 UI version, also the first version tested by actual colorblind players

Verison 0.4 More icon color, size, shape changes, alpha layers adjusted, wwm and ini file changes. Also is the last version officially supporting pending an upcoming Live Server patch changes.

If you borrow anything from this UI please keep this .txt file in your version as well and credit elements borrowed from my UI in your read me / design notes.

I can be emailed at devil_kit_13 at hotmail.com Subject Header FE Colorblind UI

Edited by devil_kit, 09 May 2012 - 09:18 PM.

You can only add on so much shet onto something rusting before it falls apart under its own weight

The cats have spoken!

devil_kit

devil_kit

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12
post reserved

You can only add on so much shet onto something rusting before it falls apart under its own weight

The cats have spoken!

devil_kit

devil_kit

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12
post reserved

The cats have spoken!

NipEild

NipEild

Raik Farran

• Wasteland Engineer - Decon
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 12-August 11
just a quick bump to move it to the top page, as it's worth keeping there.
Die roller of Doom ™
Yes I know I don't post a lot compared to my verbosity ingame.

Calais

Calais

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12
This should probably be stickied... I'm not colourblind myself but I know this condition is actually quite common.

oum60z.png

Love me or hate me. I am flattered to make the minds of so many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users