Photo

Golds on silver districts/OSMAW and Whisper

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Beolex

Beolex

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12
Today, I want to bring three things to attention (they have been brought to attention before, I just have slightly differing thoughts on it).

Matchmaking

I am currently a Silver Threat Level, and I like where I am placed. Other Silver Threat Level opponents are not too easy (bronze) but not too hard (gold). However, this comfort/privilege is often "threatened" (bad pun, I know) by gold players that play on silver districts. You see, I will have a group of three silvers (including me) and we will get matched against gold + premium (premium is not always relevant, I understand) that are in the same quantities as us: three. At that point, I basically want to exit APB and restart it, and start a new mission. Why? Well, when my team has 5 kills total, and their team has 16 kills... from one guy, then that sort of agitates me.

Now, I politely asked some gold people why they play on lower servers (they also go on bronze sometimes...). Here are the common responses I got, and my own opinion on it.

"I am helping a new friend play" - Perfectly understandable, given they are not lying.

"There are no gold servers" - Again, perfectly understandable.

"There are too many hackers on the gold servers" - Eh, true, but that happens on all servers. However, this excuse is understandable.

"There are no gold servers" - Yes, this is a repeat. But a lot of golds say this when there are actually 2-3 gold servers for each district/city.

"There is nobody on the gold server" - Well, to answer that: they are empty because the golds do not go on them. There are at least 10-15 golds in each silver server usually, and if they all got together, they could easily fill the 2-3 gold servers and keep the silver server exclusive to silvers.

"I didn't choose this district" - Then simply go to District Select - >>> (Arrows) - and find a gold district.

My goal is not to insult nor severely criticize gold players. They contribute to the better good of the game by paying money to support All Points Bulletin and they set really nice standards for playing. All my respect goes to them. However, some of them... I don't want to say they are selfish, but they act selfishly by playing on lower threat servers. Why? Well, it's all fun and games for the golds, but think about the opposition that is silver, bronze, or green. They are experiencing hardship and have slim chances of winning, or even getting a kill. And when golds play on a silver district, it affects the whole food chain. Silvers migrate to bronze servers, bronzes migrate to green, etc. just to avoid players that have superior skills. Then of course, the bronzes and greens get upset about how unfair the game is.

My solution is, APB should restrict players from joining different threat districts, except for a few circumstances: (1) The gold district has less than 8 people on both sides and (2) you are helping a new player. For the "helping a new player" part, maybe allocate 1.5 hours max a day for a person to play on a different district than theirs. 1.5 hours is enough for helping a friend with basics, right?

However, if my suggestion were taken to account, and implemented into the game, then there would be the problem of groups getting split up based upon threat and what not, so this topic is very sensitive in nature due to all the aspects that can be argued. However, I hope GamersFirst integrates a way to prevent golds "farming" on lower servers.

Now, to my second issue...

OSMAW and Whisper

I know you are thinking "these guns are not even that great, stop complaining you little kid" and such, but the OCA Whisper has good medium-low effective range, minimal recoil, and a pretty hefty firing rate. Take two equally-good players. Give one a STAR 556, and another an OCA Whisper. The Whisper will take the majority of the kills in my opinion (this is based on experience/situations, not on fact). The OSMAW is basically a sniper rifle for a 5x5x5 meter radius, destroying anything, even vehicles, in its path.

To fix this idea, I propose a weapon-matchmaking system, where if one player has a Whisper/OSMAW in their inventory, then the other player has the option to equip his. If they both have it ready-to-be-equipped, then the game will equip them automatically so the game is fair in terms of those two weapons.

Please share your thoughts, ideas, constructive criticisms, etc. and no arguments/rants please. :)

Edited by Beolex, 11 April 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

Ezzi

Ezzi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 31-January 12
People who aren't Gold expect to fight people who aren't better than them, or are at least silver when they are. Golds expect bad players (trainee,green,bronze,silver) to stay in their own districts so Gold districts actually have a legitimate use. If you can't beat gold players, you'll never be a gold player. The point of matchmaking isn't to give you fair fights. It's to propel your threat level higher unless you are a sub par player for whatever reason.

The Osmaw is balanced because it only has 2 ammo and each costs $100. It's also the only weapon you can use against people who run away in cars. It can be overpowered given the right circumstances but generally it's easy enough to nullify or avoid an osmaw user.

Rhode

Rhode

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1185 posts
  • Joined 05-March 11
Oh look, this thread again.

You pretty much summed up your thread, and why threat segregation just plain doesn't work. Your suggestion's obvious and common enough, and as usual would screw me over even more. See, I'm a gold. I actually really f**king suck. I mostly got gold from playing with my awesome buddies and facerolling newbs. Even now I'm forced to take a penalty for playing in a silver district against people who still might be better than me. Forcing me to play in a gold district against people who I often can't even get a kill on (especially since I'm waaaay out of practice from having not allowing myself to be punished this way for weeks) is just plain ludicrous. Sure, I may be an acceptable minority, but I'm still hoping we'll all just man up and go back to the way things were, as they were just fine. You'd fight some bronze/green and win some, and you'd fight some gold and lose some. It wound up being 50% win/loss ratio on average which, strangely enough, is what the matchmaking system is designed to give you!

Whisper: If you think the majority of kills would go to the Whisper, then the STAR user is doing it wrong. STAR has a much better effective range and ranged accuracy. Even if you get caught in close range, the difference in time to kill is .05 seconds. Not even noticeable to the human eye. That's a fact for ya. As for my personal experience? I once killed a Whisper-using gold several times in close quarters using my STAR. Little tip: it tends to throw off their aim (as well as increase your own accuracy) if you crouch while in close quarters fighting.

OSMAW: For one thing, sniper bullets don't take several seconds to reach their target at draw distance. They also don't have a tendency to spiral around. And a 5x5x5 radius? Try 1.6x1.6x1.6 for lethality, 10x10x10 for any damage. They're laughably easy to dodge at long range, even moreso than HVR bullets. That said, I'd love to see a sort of "minimum range" added to it, similar to the underbarrel grenade launcher in Cawwadoody, where a direct hit is necessary within say 10 meters in order to kill, as it won't explode inside that radius. This would help prevent the ridiculousness of close range against the OSMAW but keep its (true) purpose of the ultimate anti-vehicle weapon.

People who aren't Gold expect to fight people who aren't better than them, or are at least silver when they are. Golds expect bad players (trainee,green,bronze,silver) to stay in their own districts so Gold districts actually have a legitimate use. If you can't beat gold players, you'll never be a gold player. The point of matchmaking isn't to give you fair fights. It's to propel your threat level higher unless you are a sub par player for whatever reason.

The Osmaw is balanced because it only has 2 ammo and each costs $100. It's also the only weapon you can use against people who run away in cars. It can be overpowered given the right circumstances but generally it's easy enough to nullify or avoid an osmaw user.

Actually, the point of matchmaking is to give you a fair fight. It just can't always do the best job when it's based off of some superficial information and doesn't always have a great pool of players to choose from.

The OSMAW is also not the only anti-vehicle weapon. There's also the ALIG (which I acutally prefer), and to a lesser extent the Joker Carbine, PMG, and the three shotguns. They all prove to be effective against lower-health cars (only the ALIG's really great against the Mhuller and Pioneer/Espacio).

Edited by Dreirot, 11 April 2012 - 06:18 PM.

QUOTE (DiscoStick @ Aug 16 2011, 01:26 PM) "Everyone has a pattern. You have a pattern, I have a pattern. Learn the pattern, break it, and you WILL win. Every time."

Beolex

Beolex

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12
Thank you for your sharings.

I acknowledge that Whisper and OSMAW are not superior to other weapons, so I will disregard that on my behalf.

As far as playing against golds as a silver goes, I still have something to say. Playing against gold does make you better as it does pose a bigger challenge, but another reason why I play All Points Bulletin, in addition to getting better at shooter games, is for the pleasure factor. When I am encountering stress/hardship in real life, or when I just want to rest, I like to play this game. However, when golds play against me and own my patootie (like 16 kills to 4) then the pleasure out of playing the game is gone. You know what I'm sayin'?

I somewhat foresaw that my segregation idea would be bad in many aspects, because there are legitimate reasons for golds to be on silver servers, but there are also many, many, many golds that play on silver servers just to farm. And like I said in my earlier post, it affects the silvers directly, and other threats indirectly. I am not trying to say that I never want to play golds. But sometimes it's just so excessive when it isn't necessary at all. I hope you know what I mean...

Many of you will just say "deal with it, golds are there to stay" but eventually, more and more people will offer the same suggestion I did because they are fed up with being over-challenged and taking the fun out of the good game.

Cheers. :)

Edited by Beolex, 11 April 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

Rebelliousness

Rebelliousness

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Joined 24-January 12
Seriously, the OSMAW is an accurate 1 shot car knockout.

It's perfectly fine for it's use. What is NOT perfectly fine is for trolling high levels to roll lower levels who haven't even UNLOCKED such a wonder... and thereby giving an unfair advantage to the OSMAW player.

How f-ing simple is it to understand. Match-making is broken. Threat segregation is tremendously biased against the golds and the bronze/green players. But JUSTIFYING OSMAW as equivalent to an alig, shotgun or Joker for that matter...
is just plain ignorant.

We didn't have NEAR AS MUCH inequality BEFORE the threat segregation patch. G1 seriously needs to roll it back and fix their game.
"Now looking back, it makes complete sense why all the old employees left. G1 has completely destroyed the masterpiece this game could have been..." -Flylow

PrincessTwilight

PrincessTwilight

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1815 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11
Pro-tip
Presss tab to see what weapons your Opp is using.
If you see an osmaw its best to avoid cars. and if you must use cars keep an eye out for that player in particular. If you see him get out of the car and find some HARD cover. Don't stay in the same area too long and keep moving positions.
once you know how to deal with an osmaw you will just laugh when people pull it out.

And you will never get better if you don't play against people who are better then you.
Take these missions as learning experiences, notice where they go. what guns they use in situations.
Emulate these Gold and do as they do. Maybe ask them for advice?
PONY TIME
PrincessTwilight - Colby - Sniper 16