Photo

Computer shuts down while playing

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

NOT_YOU

NOT_YOU

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
Hello I am having problems playing APB. Every time I play the game it will randomly shut down my computer. This happens anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes after starting up the game. My computer screen will go black and a force shut down will occur. When I run the game I have no lag whatsoever. I played this game for awhile when I first registered to Gamersfirst and did not have this problem. I have been able to play APB in the past with ease and little to no problems at all. This problem emerged after I merged into my steam account. I am not sure if this is the source of the problem, though that is the only change I have made before I had this problem. My computer runs the game fine, this is not a heating issue or power supply issue. Does anyone know any way to fix this?

Pilate

Pilate

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 01-March 11

Hello I am having problems playing APB. Every time I play the game it will randomly shut down my computer. This happens anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes after starting up the game. My computer screen will go black and a force shut down will occur. When I run the game I have no lag whatsoever. I played this game for awhile when I first registered to Gamersfirst and did not have this problem. I have been able to play APB in the past with ease and little to no problems at all. This problem emerged after I merged into my steam account. I am not sure if this is the source of the problem, though that is the only change I have made before I had this problem. My computer runs the game fine, this is not a heating issue or power supply issue. Does anyone know any way to fix this?

The first thing I would recommend if you're experiencing this is to disable automatic restarts.

If you're using Windows 7, try the following: (I assume it's similar for Vista)

• Start Button
  • Control Panel
  • System (Make sure 'All items' are shown.)
  • Advanced system settings (left side)
  • Settings (under Startup and Recovery)
  • Uncheck 'Automatically Restart'
This should allow your computer to blue-screen as normal, and at least give you an error message to work with.

If that doesn't get you anything, I would check the event log by doing the following:

• Start Button
  • Run
  • Type 'eventvwr.msc' without quotes
  • Click OK or press Enter
Unless your problem is caused by a hardware initiated shutdown, there should be something relevant in one of the Windows Logs.

Posted Image

NOT_YOU

NOT_YOU

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
I have tried your first option and have unchecked Automatically Restart, and the problem persisted. It did not give me a blue screen after the shutdown, it continued to perform a forced shutdown

Also the event log shows nothing suspicious or anything that would lead me to a cause

Edited by NOT_YOU, 27 February 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Pilate

Pilate

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 01-March 11
The only way that should be able to happen is a BIOS or forced hardware shutdown. Are you sure your temps are OK?

Posted Image

arkup

arkup

Elite

• San Paro City Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1843 posts
  • Joined 05-December 10
sounds like a PSU fault to me
check your power supply unit , if you have another one swap them and see how it goes
Posted Image
AsRock Fatal1ty 990fx ,AMD FX 8350 ,GTX780-3gb ,16gig hyperx ,noctua NH-D14 ,750w antec,X-Fi Titanium

The Crayon CMC

The Crayon CMC

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-August 12
Idk, Could It Be Overheating? If Its A Laptop Then Yes, Thats The Reason...Mabey

NSJDawg

NSJDawg

Retired Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5606 posts
  • Joined 13-November 10
Theres a million things that can cause a hardware shutdown, but APB's list of reason is very short:

Overheating:

Your CPU, Video card, or chipset are reaching dangerous thermal levels, and initiate an immediate shutdown to prevent damage.

Voltage: you CPU/VideoCard/motherboard are asking the PSU for more power that it cannot provide when playing APB, thus initiating a shutdown to prevent damage, or the PSU just cuts out due to a lack or sufficient power.

You have a couple of options, but a list of your specs would be helpful to start to even list them.

CPU make and model
Video Card make and model
Amount of RAM
OS and (32/64?)

Now, a small list of things to check out. if you are playing APB with a PSU of wattage less than 400, this might be your problem, but also leads me to believe that your hardware may be less than worthy.
You CPU's thermal Compound no longer has the chemical properties to wick heat away from the CPU and into the heatsink. (often can dry out, cook and then you might as well be without a HSF at all.)
Your CPU heatsink is clogged with dust and the fan cannot cool it off.
your CPU Cooling fan is either burned out and not spinning, or is slowly dying and not spinning fast enough to efficiently cool the Heatsink.

The above three can apply to your video card as well.

If your playing on a laptop that was not meant to play video games, there is a good chance you are overheating, as laptops are notorious for having a lack of cooling capacity. (unless you addicted to APB like me and buy a 3K$ laptop or gaming.)

Retired Volunteer