Performance Improvements!

102 replies to this topic

Napalm

Ascended

• Retired Reloaded Staff
  • 2522 posts
  • Joined 12-February 09
Hi everyone,
First off we'd like to welcome the newest members of the community to Fallen Earth. It's great to see all the new faces and watch the Help channel explode with questions, comments, love and a bit of rage (although Tiggs might not agree ;)).

We also wanted to let you know that we are aware that many of the starter towns and capital cities are bustling, and at times running slowly, occasionally kicking players and doing other generally nasty stuff. We (like you) are not happy about this, and are doing some things to get the game up to snuff given the influx of users from Steam and other channels. Here is what we are working on right now:

1. Moving Embry Crossroads and all starter towns onto much, much beefier hardware. This will have an immediate impact, and should decrease the amount of lag that players are seeing in those areas. This will require us to restart some of those areas in the next couple hours, and we will let you know (in-game) what those areas are prior to us doing so.

2. Implement improvements in server memory management to better handle high player load. This will also increase general performance in all areas, and allow high-traffic areas to hold more players. This requires a full restart and will most likely happen later today

3. Upgrade to a more capable branch of the xScape engine, that will allow us to handle 3-4x more players in an area. This is a big change that we hope to launch in the next few days, and will yield significant improvements in performance.

We have been working around the clock to get these and other improvements implemented, and we appreciate your patience.

OvrTehBottm

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12
One word - "Simply Awesome"; Ok that was two words, but it is exciting times. Thank you for keep us informed.

Lancaster

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Joined 20-February 12

This will also increase general performance in all areas
Can't wait till the server crashes no more.
Do you think any of those changes have impact on rubberbanding and such?

Edited by Lancaster, 27 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Demarest

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12
hello Napalm.nice to see this message.
so you telling me that the message i see (your area is currently loading)all that time is from this ?can't connect since.... i start forget what the time was..
so few next couple of hours means i must forget game tonight again... 5 days here and maybe i have played just few hours..
at least i hope this will solve things ....:(

Edited by Demarest, 27 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

2saints001

Initiate

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12
Question! *raises hand as high as possible* :Anyone:

What about the issue of being stuck at the character select screen with the area loading indefinitely? There seems to be a fair chunk of us experiencing this; are these performance improvements going to fix that? Because, you know.

If they don't...
:birthday: :nunchucks: :piratesword: :HarHarHar: :pirashoot: :pirates: :axeman: :knight: :viking:

We will unleash the smileys. And it will be bad.

The PogoWolf

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12

View PostNapalm, on 27 February 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Moving Embry Crossroads and all starter towns onto much, much beefier hardware.

Sweet! Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Nitramuse

Initiate

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 15-March 11
Thanks for the update! What about the current ''still logged in'' issue?

Yarii

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
Thanks, that's great! :lol:

Napalm

Ascended

• Retired Reloaded Staff
  • 2522 posts
  • Joined 12-February 09
Area Loading is caused by there being too many players in the area you are trying to enter. Memory is the key issue here, and each of the 3 mentioned projects listed will help that. Ideally, by the end of the day it will no longer be an issue.

Rubberbanding should be mostly cured by this, and we have another engine update in the pipeline that we will push to almost completely kill it, once things smooth out a bit more.

SpikePaws

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 14-February 12
Thats great news!

Keep it up!

Edited by SpikePaws, 27 February 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

TooNumb2Care

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
I AM SO HAPPY!!! i read the upgrades and got butterflies.. you guys are awesome.. probably one of the best staffing teams ever.. thanks for keeping us in the loop.

2saints001

Initiate

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12

View PostNapalm, on 27 February 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Area Loading is caused by there being too many players in the area you are trying to enter. Memory is the key issue here, and each of the 3 mentioned projects listed will help that. Ideally, by the end of the day it will no longer be an issue.

Rubberbanding should be mostly cured by this, and we have another engine update in the pipeline that we will push to almost completely kill it, once things smooth out a bit more.

Okay! Calling off the Smileys now.

:Hijacked: :Jerry: :noob: :hater:

Some of them are not happy about being woken up and then sent back home, as you can see. Except Jerry there. We don't know what the heck he's doing here.

Lancaster

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Joined 20-February 12

Gotta hope it works! Great work!
That should make PVP:ing even far more enjoyable :P

Demarest

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12
well seems no luck for me to enter tonight.at least news are great.hopefully a really NEW day rise :)
good night from me and keep the good work.
:nicethread:
:notworthy: :yesmaster: :notworthy:

Edited by Demarest, 27 February 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Hyl6

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12
Hopefully servers are going to be up and running soon.

And i did not understand from those messages in thread - area loading issue, which makes it impossible to come past character select screen, is it because of the servers are down right now for a few hours, or is it because of there are too many people online, which causes the memory problems on your servers?

i got logged in after i tryed for an hour or so :P But, question is still remaining. Thx in advance!

Demarest

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12

View PostDemarest, on 27 February 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

well seems no luck for me to enter tonight.at least news are great.hopefully a really NEW day rise :)
good night from me and keep the good work.
:nicethread:
:notworthy: :yesmaster: :notworthy:

OMG!!! i tried t olog once more before i leave for bed!! i am in.who need sleep?????? sleep is for others not for me !!! :P

Jon Barren

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 07-January 12
Good news, much needed update this one! =)
The circle of life has no beginning nor end...

Clswe

Initiate

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
Is im the onely one who cant get past the first load screen without game crash? B4 i just got stuck at char select screen.. But then i tryd to make a new and after that im getting the error.. I have sent you guys a report.. But if its the new char thats make this mess, please remove it.

2saints001

Initiate

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12

View PostHyl6, on 27 February 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Hopefully servers are going to be up and running soon.

And i did not understand from those messages in thread - area loading issue, which makes it impossible to come past character select screen, is it because of the servers are down right now for a few hours, or is it because of there are too many people online, which causes the memory problems on your servers?

i got logged in after i tryed for an hour or so :P But, question is still remaining. Thx in advance!

It's a population issue. It's like "one in-one out" at a dance club or something. If you were out in the middle of nowhere you wouldn't be experiencing it.

calhpl0x

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
Question.

You knew it was going live on Steam, correct?
Why wouldn't you try to "beef" up your hardware before offering it to millions of new players?

I've been shying away from G1 games for months, saw this went free-to-play and tried it out.
Tip: Remove the giant advertisement that pops up on log in, I almost uninstalled instantly based on that alone. :lol:
(and the upgrade button that can be moved..but you end up clicking on it anyway)
I think I can find out how to subscribe if I want to, pushy pushy. :lol:

Graydon Halverset

Initiate

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 02-January 12
My char. IS out in the middle of nowhere right now and I still can't get past the char. select screen. Great on the rest of the solved problems team, but doesn't matter if I can't get in to experience it.
I suppose once things have been fully implemented, my(our) problem will be a thing of the past. Looking forward to playing once more.

Gapetta

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

/highfive

HUndeadSaints

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 03-August 11

If you guys actually deliver upon this promise I vow to never talk bad about G1 again......................

Posted Image

Zloj Gogi

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Joined 18-August 11

Let us pray...and hope !

Edited by Gogi, 27 February 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Do you hate me? Awsome, i have worked so hard for it.

No Money - No Honey !!!

Zloj Gogi --- Zloj Devka

TheBlindMan

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12
Hmm, GMs in game 24/7. Using your new revenue to generate fixes for the game/performance. Fast reaction to problems.

Why haven't I heard of this company before? Now this is how a game company should work.

Thank you guys so much for responding so quickly and creating what seem like solid fixes. This may push me over the edge to sub!

Adio Spiegel

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 16-February 12
:Rock:

Posted Image

Saints - PVP - Traveler

~In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti~

rogerdashrubber

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 26-February 12
I hope the upgrade to the starter area servers is only the beginning and that S2 and S3 follow because it will not take long for the current crop of new players to start hitting S2 and it would be sad if the lag issue follwed them into the new area.

TheFunk

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

View PostHUndeadSaints, on 27 February 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

If you guys actually deliver upon this promise I vow to never talk bad about G1 again......................

Quoted so I can remember to use it later for....something.

Gapetta

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

View PostTheFunk, on 27 February 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

Quoted so I can remember to use it later for....something.

Saints RP Division?

Ronbo

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-February 12
Good stuff, Great game good product having fun :computerbrain:

Kirokoo

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-February 12

View PostNapalm, on 27 February 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

If you fix that i will stop randomly dying, rage quiting, and i wil also declare this the most godlike staff ever :D

:yesmaster: :harp: :Heee: :dj:

Krac

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
Sweet, Thanks guys! Also, hello Fallen Earth Community!

Edited by Krac, 27 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

woofey

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 24-February 12
Awesome. However you might want to hire Chuck Norris as a Consultant. He can fix anything.

- W

Ozziedogg76

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I for one have been very impressed with the level of patience shown by GM to the endless flood of (sometimes) moronic questions in the help channel, as well as the level of communication here on the forums.

keep up the good work, this is how you keep customers happy.

may the lag-free happy days commence!!!!!

vijia

Exile|Decon|Hazmat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 05-December 11

Gapetta said:

Saints RP Division?

LOL!

Edited by vijia, 27 February 2012 - 07:14 PM.

.v ...
[Decon - Engineer] [Hazmat Volunteer] [Apply]

Dazziekiel

Initiate

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
haha! awesome, literally played 15 minutes and it shutdown for maintenance :P glad to be back on the game though.
Repent! For Tomorrow You Die!

Posted Image

Humakti

Initiate

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 24-February 12
All sounds like good news, on lag I'm one of the steam influx and like everyone I had to deal with Jumbo lag, rubber banding, lag deaths 1 minute looting and all that fun stuff. During one of the many server outages I uninstalled FE from Steam and downloaded it though the gamers first downloader to see if that made a difference and for me it does. In midway I occasionally stutter/flicker move, but that is really the only lag I expierance now 400 yards out of midway my client runs very smoothly.

Ive no idea if this will work universally for others, but for me its made the game much much more fun.

Humakti.

Edited by Humakti, 27 February 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Mutt Jorgath

Exile Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 06-December 11
I'm just...I'm seriously jonesing. I want to log in so badly and check out the changes.

Gaaah hurry up...
I went to a restaurant with my friend, and he said, "Pass the salt." I said, "Screw you! Sit closer to the salt." - RIP Mitch Hedberg

Dazziekiel

Initiate

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 27-February 12
its all trial and error right now, now its live on steam they have ALOT of work to keep up with, but they got the team to do it.

Keep up the good work guys ive been waiting for a fallout type mmo for years! =D

Edited by Dazziekiel, 27 February 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Repent! For Tomorrow You Die!

Posted Image

Branovices

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 24-February 12
This sounds great, I just wanted to thank you guys for being on the ball with reacting to the current situation in such a timely way. If everything works out, I'll be very impressed with you folks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 GamersFirst.com, Reloaded Games, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.®