Photo

Top 10 Reasons for LOTRO Players to Consider Fallen Earth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

jerboa

jerboa

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 23-September 11
Fellow LOTRO Players,

While I'll probably visit the Ettenmoors from time to time I think it's becoming pretty clear that I've grown exhausted with Turbine's approach to PvP. It was my hope that they'd manage to produce high quality PvP content in addition to their fine PvE offering but so far it's been an epic fail.

I don't blame Turbine for two reasons:

LOTRO is a PvE centric game.
LOTRO doesn't have the mechanics necessary to balance PvP.

The game simply isn't built from the ground up to handle reasonable PvP. That makes sense when you consider that the PvP element was tacked on at the last minute. It would have to be an entirely different game to get the fundamentals in place to make it a solid PvP experience.

So if you enjoy PvP - real PvP - then I'd like to list some reason why you, as a LOTRO player, need to step away from the mess that is the Ettenmoors.

1: Open World PvP From Day #1
If you turn on your PvP flag the entire world is Open PvP. I did this on my new character and I was engaged in PvP right from the start. I forgot how much fun even lowbie, poorly equipped PvP can be in a game world that is open to it. You cannot be looted so it's all in good fun.

2: PvP Variety
Instanced PvP is possible in Capture the Flag, Survival, and another mode that escpaes me. There is also faction based PvP which is slated to receive some updates in the very near future. We've been hoping for instanced PvP in LOTRO but it isn't coming people - stop waiting and start playing.

3: Classless System
You get a certain amount of skill points. Distribute them across a variety of skills as you see fit. It's fun to have the option to build hybrid characters for very specific roles. I'm working on a hybrid rifleman/crafter at the moment and it suits my style of play perfectly. BTW, this means you have no idea what tricks the other guy is going to pull on you because a build isn't obvious from appearance.

4: Aim
Do you remember when you used to play games where you had to aim in order to hit something? Remember what it was like to dodge or take cover? In LOTRO you don't aim, you tab your way to a target and then faceroll. Induction skills see you behind trees or 3 seconds after you stealth on your warg. Forget that noise. Welcome back to a game that requires some skill.

5: Horses
Horses don't magically disappear when you dismount. The hors exists within the game world. You can kill an opponents hors - or you can kill your own hors (I've done it several times). It's not a griefing mechanism though, since the hors may be retrieved. Additionally, horses are available to fullfill a couple of different roles: Combat or Pack. As a crafter I use a pack hors for the storage space. Mounted combat is in the game right now - stop waiting for it in LOTRO.

6: Crafting
Within an hour of finishing the tutorial you'll have already made ammo for your zip gun. Crafting is an important part of the game world and unlike LOTRO you can immediately craft items that you need. BTW, unlike LOTRO where you have to kill the same boss 100 times to get the best gear in this game you get the best gear by creating it. Less time with the same stupid boss monsters means more time crushing other players.

7: Crafting Part II
Crafting has added significantly to my level advancement, contributing almost as much to my level 10 'toon as doing quests. Furthermore, since I can make myself everything from bandages to hand grenades, the items I have available for PvP, and their effectiveness, is largely up to me. BTW, real world knowledge matters - what I mean is, if you explore you'll find resources that non-explorers will end up needing to buy.

8: AoE
In LOTRO the Ettenmoors suffer because an AoE skill isn't really an AoE skill. The reality is that in that game an AoE skill is a AoE-except-for-my-buddies skill. You can forget the balled-up-freeps-in-Tirith-Raw-dropping-Ents nonsense in Fallen Earth because they'd end up killing themselves. You actually have to think/plan the use of AoE skills.

9: Melee vs. Ranged
Sorry, but Turbine is never going to get the Melee vs. Ranged balance right in the Ettenmoors. The reason they cannot do this is because of the PvE - every player has to have the full assortment of skills to solo the book quests. It's candyland, but that's LOTRO. In Fallen Earth, if a melee gets up into a ranged fighters face it's gonna go poorly for the ranged fighter.

10: The game is not PAY TO WIN.
Turbine can rot in the hot place for their pay to win nonsense.

11: BONUS: Everyone is on the same server.
Imagine that, no more the PvP is better on Brandywine garbage.

I could easily go on for another 10 points, but you get the idea.

Fallen Earth is a persistent world sandbox (MMORPG) set in a post-apocalyptic world that has a free trial (14 days) and goes Free-To-Play on Oct 12th. A one year subscription is available for $99 and if you buy that before Oct 12th you get a free account upgrade for the entire year. If you like meaningful crafting, PvP, and something other than the facerolling tab-dotting, stunfest that is the current Ettenmoors than give Fallen Earth a couple of hours of your time.

It is everything for PvP and Crafting for which LOTRO is epic fail.

-Jerboa

KaneHart

KaneHart

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 10-September 11
Nice post I thought you were going advertise haha. Yeah I played LOTRO a lot in the past. I actually quit it not because I dislike it but I refuse to play a pay 2 win game. Okay it's not quite PAY 2 WIN. But I hated the idea being able to buy almost everything now easily off the item mall.. Why play if you can buy it all :)
Check out Stardale http://stardale.net
Inspired by Minecraft procedural generation and Terraria 2D gameplay we go even further with procedural generated space and exploration. Start with almost nothing and work your way to launching rockets, satellites and even yourself into space, where a whole new set of adventures awaits you!

jerboa

jerboa

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 23-September 11

Nice post I thought you were going advertise haha. Yeah I played LOTRO a lot in the past. I actually quit it not because I dislike it but I refuse to play a pay 2 win game. Okay it's not quite PAY 2 WIN. But I hated the idea being able to buy almost everything now easily off the item mall.. Why play if you can buy it all :)

Creeps: The bad guys faction in LOTRO.
Freeps: The good guys faction in LOTRO.

I cross posted this on their Creep forum because I want other Creeps to embrace the fun.
I've already one person who has joined me in Fallen Earth (they bought a subscription).

And LOTRO is definitely pay to win:

1: The Freeps can buy hors food (speed buff) that all but eliminates the advantage of the Warg's sprint skill.
2: Creepside can purchase their advanced skills in the LOTRO store.
3: The Freeps can buy uber potions, trackers, and other battle advantages in the LOTRO store.

There is no sorta Pay to Win.
It's full bore Pay to Win now and it will only get worse.
They've really ticked me off here.

-Jerboa

Staghound

Staghound

Initiate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11
Who cares about the PvP - LotRO is the place for roleplay. I'm not going to get into a tiresome 10 points battle, but in LotRO my minstrel has a choice of a dozen equippable musical instruments; there is plenty of female and male finery to be bought (And not just from the store); and there are mechanics for actually playing and singing songs. So I would agree that if you are just into PvP you might well want to swap. But many LotRO players, even on the RP servers, are not RP fanatics, and you'll see more hobbit players in the Green Dragon on a Friday Night, just on our server, than I have ever seen players in one place on FE.
And frankly I think it is a little blinkered to quote the PvP arrangements as if they were the paramount reason to abandon LotRO.

Primmrose Spinney, Minstrel and Grand Master Forester, of Laurelin.
"Fortune is a prize to be won. Adventure is the road to it. Chance is what may lurk in the shadows at the roadside." O.Henry

Larce

Larce

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 13-August 11
I tried lotro out again a few months ago (Beta/2+ years there), after about 2 months I was bored to tears. It's pretty much been streamlined, dumb downed, and "play 2 win" for sure.
Posted Image

jerboa

jerboa

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 23-September 11

Who cares about the PvP - LotRO is the place for roleplay. I'm not going to get into a tiresome 10 points battle, but in LotRO my minstrel has a choice of a dozen equippable musical instruments; there is plenty of female and male finery to be bought (And not just from the store); and there are mechanics for actually playing and singing songs. So I would agree that if you are just into PvP you might well want to swap. But many LotRO players, even on the RP servers, are not RP fanatics, and you'll see more hobbit players in the Green Dragon on a Friday Night, just on our server, than I have ever seen players in one place on FE.
And frankly I think it is a little blinkered to quote the PvP arrangements as if they were the paramount reason to abandon LotRO.

Primmrose Spinney, Minstrel and Grand Master Forester, of Laurelin.

I have a dozen equippable clubs in Fallen Earth.
I can kill someone with an ax, an old pipe, a 2x4 or a golf club.

Can you kill someone with a golf club in LOTRO?
I think not.
Advantage: Fallen Earth

Seriously though, Turbine delivered on their promise of giving me a great journey through a good part of Middle Earth. Early on the PvP caught my attention and pretty soon I was spending all of my time running around as a warg. I'd hoped they'd move to enhance the monster play experience but instead they went Pay to Win and made the experience flat and uninteresting. Turbine built a quality game.

However, PvP is hopelessly flawed and any dreams I had of them fixing it have been dashed upon the rocks of commerce.

populas

populas

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-October 11
hey now fallen earth is a pay 2 win game the same as lotro but lotro actually allows the earning of turbine points through deeds completed and ive not seen that in FE. Fallen Earth wants u to puchase a premium account hows that not pay 2 win or play i have a fallen earth account and are currently awaitng f2p BC i dont pay to play or win. its just entertainment and no compensation (no Product for your money) ie wasting hard earned cash on this. Ill pay for game files like buying a game for my wii or xboxs or playstations, but not charactor enhancements thats just bullony.FE has high volume and poor fps's is that gonna b addresed in some patch? anyhow i like both even with all there lil bugs and glitches. the crafting in both games is great and the just added a westfold tier after supreme at lvl 45 you can still get a legendary weapon and its not limited to premiums or regular subscribers.all on f2p accounts. And FE stopped me at lvl 10 and wouldnt even let me complete quest of higher lvls just BC i wasn't premium.but i guess i will c the changes in f2p on october 12.

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

hey now fallen earth is a pay 2 win game the same as lotro but lotro actually allows the earning of turbine points through deeds completed and ive not seen that in FE. Fallen Earth wants u to puchase a premium account hows that not pay 2 win or play i have a fallen earth account and are currently awaitng f2p BC i dont pay to play or win. its just entertainment and no compensation (no Product for your money) ie wasting hard earned cash on this. Ill pay for game files like buying a game for my wii or xboxs or playstations, but not charactor enhancements thats just bullony.FE has high volume and poor fps's is that gonna b addresed in some patch? anyhow i like both even with all there lil bugs and glitches. the crafting in both games is great and the just added a westfold tier after supreme at lvl 45 you can still get a legendary weapon and its not limited to premiums or regular subscribers.all on f2p accounts. And FE stopped me at lvl 10 and wouldnt even let me complete quest of higher lvls just BC i wasn't premium.but i guess i will c the changes in f2p on october 12.

What you played was Fallen Earths free trial, which is not the same as F2P. All it did was give you a chance to come in and do a few things to see if you want to subscribe or not. This will change Oct 12.

on Oct 13th I challenge you to come in and find a PvP advantage using the store merchandise, and beat someone of equal level due to it not your skill.

I double dog dare ya.

Staghound

Staghound

Initiate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11
Most of the posters here seem to be concerned only with PvP and the PvP aspects of LotRO. Well OK, it may not be so great pvPing on LotRO, but that is not what LotRO is about. For good or ill, many LotRO players probably wouldn't even notice if PvP were removed from the game, because that is not what they are there for.

And incidentally, there are golf clubs on LotRO. It is well known that Bandobras Took (Bullroarer) started the game when he used a club to knock the head off the goblin Golfindel. The head went down a rabbit hole, and golf was invented!
"Fortune is a prize to be won. Adventure is the road to it. Chance is what may lurk in the shadows at the roadside." O.Henry

Gutapia

Gutapia

Latin Lover :(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • Joined 20-May 10
-Moving to the right subforum. . .

Erei

Erei

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 06-June 11
Trolling lotro for the pvp content is like trolling APB for the pve content. You're doing it wrong.
Lotro is all about pve and/or rp. The pvp is just a way to have some fun from time to time, once you're bored from the pve. No more.
And I don't think people playing lotro play it for pvp. And if they do, it's not because of the gameplay, but more about RP and stuff.
QUOTE (Beathan @ Oct 24 2011, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't pretend to know what's wrong.

QUOTE (Beathan @ Oct 24 2011, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read my lips, it's not hardware related.

Killdare

Killdare

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11
complaining about the pvp in lotro is like complaining about the meat in a salad

Don Harman

Don Harman

Initiate

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11

complaining about the pvp in lotro is like complaining about the meat in a salad

It's still one of the better pvp's out there (4+ years of lotro pvp here) but that's not really saying much. It's definately got its flaws and Turbine has paid it little mind over the years (yes I know it was a last minute addition to the game) but to keep mewing that old tired granola is just not true.

That said, I don't play lotro much these days (have a lifetime sub) and when I did I was a creep mostly full time. I like FE much better in so many ways (even while playing it free) but not for it's pvp (so far). So please lotro-ites give fallen earth a try.

Mummy Evil spider of the moors on BW.

runahelseth

runahelseth

Initiate

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 26-September 11
"Because LOTRO is totally lame" suspiciously absent from list

johnportillo57

johnportillo57

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 14-March 12
lol lotro player since beta came over to this game about 4 months ago loving it here.

but yeah lotro is a pve game.

khellendross, proud lunatic minstrel of meneldor

MechWarrior13

MechWarrior13

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-May 12

Nice post I thought you were going advertise haha. Yeah I played LOTRO a lot in the past. I actually quit it not because I dislike it but I refuse to play a pay 2 win game. Okay it's not quite PAY 2 WIN. But I hated the idea being able to buy almost everything now easily off the item mall.. Why play if you can buy it all :) When coupled with a solid and engaging single-player mode, this asynchronous, competitive social play turns Hidden Chronicles into an almost ideal social HOG.

I'm trying out one of their demos now. It doesn't seem like it will be realistic for playing an online multiplayer game. I was on about 1 minute before I saw "You connection's bandwidth just dropped. Please wait, recalibrating" with a 30 sec countdown and then dropped the game.

Edited by MechWarrior13, 30 August 2012 - 01:47 AM.