69 replies to this topic

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08
As many know, there are people on these forums who know a lot about good computer hardware and can put together a high-end computer for less money than one would expect. There are also people who can't tell the difference between Ethernet and USB. Since the demand for upgraded computers among the G1 community has risen due to the recent release of All Points Bulletin: Reloaded, a game that requires a fairly high-end computer to play smoothly, it's time for a computer upgrade megathread.

So, if you're wanting to upgrade your computer, or even buy a new one, please post here! The following information will help those who would help you the most. You can obtain most of this information by running a "dxdiag" on your computer. If you have Windows Vista or 7, you need only to click the start button and type dxdiag. If you have Windows XP, click start, then run, then type dxdiag. If you have an OS older than XP, upgrade.

Under the system tab on the dxdiag window:
Operating System:
System Manufacturer:
System Model:
Processor:
Memory (RAM):

Under the display tab:
Name:

Other information needed would include your budget, general location (this helps find websites and prices appropriate to your area for parts as some websites don't ship to some countries, or charge different amounts based on location)

If you're willing to help people put together hardware configurations, please let me know if there's any other information you need.
The opinions expressed in the post above are not necessarily those of GamersFirst. GamersFirst is not responsible in any way for any injury, loss, or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided in these sections of the site.

Shawshank

Shawshank

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5545 posts
  • Joined 02-June 09
Put on the end, newegg.com is only available in America :). The amount of people giving links out for people that live in Europe for newegg isn't much help :P.

308y13p.png
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - A.E

nelsonbrit

nelsonbrit

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5174 posts
  • Joined 26-August 09

Put on the end, newegg.com is only available in America :). The amount of people giving links out for people that live in Europe for newegg isn't much help :P.

What about Tigerdirect?

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. - George Carlin
R.I.P. KORGOTH R.I.P. CHUNKY8649
101 Headshots New Map Idea

StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 24-May 11
Can we troll people who post their $4000 alienware laptop??

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08

Can we troll people who post their $4000 alienware laptop??

No because that's what I have Posted Image
The opinions expressed in the post above are not necessarily those of GamersFirst. GamersFirst is not responsible in any way for any injury, loss, or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided in these sections of the site.

dreamss

dreamss

Supreme

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5309 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10
short life deal!

http://slickdeals.ne.....et Frontpage)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500190

huhCrashmore

huhCrashmore

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11
its funny becouse allot of this expensive pc's they are most likly littel kids sure they have uber good pcs but they donnot have skill ^^

WigWamm

WigWamm

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4584 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

its funny becouse allot of this expensive pc's they are most likly littel kids sure they have uber good pcs but they donnot have skill ^^

Relevant.

Jaina

Jaina

Supafanificant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6385 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09
I have a question!! My computer is a tad loud (not Alienware loud but loud enough that I dislike leaving it on over night) I believe the noise if from the power supply (it's in a metal box inside the computer case at the top), I believe it's from there, it's coming from that general direction. So as I'm about as technical as a lump of cheese, what would be a good one to get? A silent one and not too expensive, cheaper the better at the moment and something simple to fix.

I know there are likely other things I can change to make it quieter, namely switching the fans for a water cooling thing but I'll rather not bother with all the fuss.

England places only please!

Edited by Jaina, 08 June 2011 - 01:55 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jericho

Jericho

Retired

• Retired Reloaded Staff
  • 5840 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

I have a question!! My computer is a tad loud (not Alienware loud but loud enough that I dislike leaving it on over night) I believe the noise if from the power supply (it's in a metal box inside the computer case at the top), I believe it's from there, it's coming from that general direction. So as I'm about as technical as a lump of cheese, what would be a good one to get? A silent one and not too expensive, cheaper the better at the moment and something simple to fix.

I know there are likely other things I can change to make it quieter, namely switching the fans for a water cooling thing but I'll rather not bother with all the fuss.

England places only please!

First make sure it is the fan from inside the power supply and not the other external fans in your case. Most common loud sounds come from the other fans inside computer cases. If this is the "case" lol, then simply look for ball bearing fans on the market, last I heard they were much more silent than the opposition. Some fans even have speed adjusters that allow you to slow them down so that they don't cause much noise at night.

Ultimately you can invest time to research water cooling technology and then invest the money in getting a starter kit. It's my understand those are also not as loud? Anyone can feel free to correct anything I've said, I may have worked in a computer repair shop in my earlier days but I've been out of the pc rigging scene for 10 years xD

..less QQ more PEW PEW

Check out the Official APB Reloaded Facebook, and Youtube pages!
Play "Name That APB" on Twitter!

Jaina

Jaina

Supafanificant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6385 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09

First make sure it is the fan from inside the power supply and not the other external fans in your case. Most common loud sounds come from the other fans inside computer cases. If this is the "case" lol, then simply look for ball bearing fans on the market, last I heard they were much more silent than the opposition. Some fans even have speed adjusters that allow you to slow them down so that they don't cause much noise at night.

Ultimately you can invest time to research water cooling technology and then invest the money in getting a starter kit. It's my understand those are also not as loud? Anyone can feel free to correct anything I've said, I may have worked in a computer repair shop in my earlier days but I've been out of the pc rigging scene for 10 years xD

No water cooling. I don't want to bother with it. And I know people will keep suggesting it as it's quieter, but no, no water cooling. I don't want to put time or effort into this, I just want it done.

Fan wise, it's coming from the top - I do have a fan that it just a little south of the power supple so it could be that one. I've disabled the fans before and the noise was still there, so I'm pretty sure it's not the other fans.

I just want a quiet life :)

Jericho

Jericho

Retired

• Retired Reloaded Staff
  • 5840 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09
Two other fans that could also be culprits is your video card and / or your CPU fan. Sometimes a little patience will grant you such the life you wish to have. :)

..less QQ more PEW PEW

Check out the Official APB Reloaded Facebook, and Youtube pages!
Play "Name That APB" on Twitter!

Onion

Onion

Cromniomancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08
Download speedfan, run as admin, and start slowly lowering the different fan speeds. Make sure not to turn any of them below 50%. The main noisemaker is usually the CPU fan.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
My Theme Song
APB:R - Onion (Joker) Warrock - xOnionx (NA) Victory - Onion16161

Jaina

Jaina

Supafanificant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6385 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09
Ah, I'll just take it to a shop and get them to make it quieter ~_~

Neszy

Neszy

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-June 11
How much do you think would be an average amount to spend on some water cooling?
I'm running a Win7 64bit, AMD 4X Phenom @ 3.3GHz and 8GB DDR3 RAM.
I built the computer myself.

The computer is a tad loud - much like Jaina, I can't really leave it on overnight and I'd love to. I also put the noise down to my power supply fan (and probably the placement of the PC right against a wall in my suffocatingly oxygen sparce room. I think that water cooling with really benefit me (I'm fairly technical and I will be installing it myself) since I run multiple game server (Minecraft, Terraria, etc) and hate having to keep turning the servers on.

Anyway, I'm just looking for decent water cooling units.
If possible I'm not looking to spend too much (maybe 40-90 pounds?), and the company would preferably be UK based.

Shawshank

Shawshank

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5545 posts
  • Joined 02-June 09

Terraria

Good man. Can't help you with watercooling though :).

308y13p.png

WigWamm

WigWamm

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4584 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

How much do you think would be an average amount to spend on some water cooling?
I'm running a Win7 64bit, AMD 4X Phenom @ 3.3GHz and 8GB DDR3 RAM.
I built the computer myself.

The computer is a tad loud - much like Jaina, I can't really leave it on overnight and I'd love to. I also put the noise down to my power supply fan (and probably the placement of the PC right against a wall in my suffocatingly oxygen sparce room. I think that water cooling with really benefit me (I'm fairly technical and I will be installing it myself) since I run multiple game server (Minecraft, Terraria, etc) and hate having to keep turning the servers on.

Anyway, I'm just looking for decent water cooling units.
If possible I'm not looking to spend too much (maybe 40-90 pounds?), and the company would preferably be UK based.

I've just got the Corsair H60, haven't installed it yet because I'm waiting for the rest but it's really simple to fit and performs as well as high end air coolers. I got this and already have a couple of the apache fans so can easily do a push-pull for better performance.

Onion

Onion

Cromniomancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08
So here are my specs:

Current Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Asus M4N78 Pro Motherboard
AMD Phenom x4 9500 OC'ed to 2.42GHz
6gb DDR2 @ 667MHz
nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Stock Acer peripherals
Steelseries 4H headset
22" Acer X203W Monitor @ 1680x1050 and 17" xPlio monitor @ 1440 x 900 Dual Display
1.5TB WD Caviar HDD & 320gb Corsair HDD
Coolermaster HAF 922 - 3x 200mm (Side, Top, Front) , 1x 120mm (Rear), 1x 140mm (Bottom)

What do you think is bottlenecking this on games? I can only pull about 22FPS max off APB and relatively the same off BFBC2. What should I upgrade next? I was thinking processor/ram/mobo would have to be my next upgrade but if I can get away with just upping the gpu that'd be great. Please keep in mind I'm Canadian so if you suggest parts, shipping to canada is a must. (also canadacomputers.com is close)
My Theme Song

Rider

Rider

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4787 posts
  • Joined 12-June 08
Operating System: Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 640 processor (quad core at ~3GHz)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

I only know my PSU is 700W and I have no idea what my case is.

Right now I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card for ~$200 simply because I don't have enough money to upgrade the processor and motherboard right now(although I'll probably have to soon enough, the MOBO is just the AMD 770 chipset.)

I'll take suggestions for a motherboard/cpu upgrade, but I'm not too sure what my budget would be on that. If anyone has any ideas on a good 2TB external HDD I'd appreciate it.

I prefer Newegg, but I'm not that picky.

Posted Image

According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.

Onion

Onion

Cromniomancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08

Right now I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card for ~$200 simply because I don't have enough money to upgrade the processor and motherboard right now(although I'll probably have to soon enough, the MOBO is just the AMD 770 chipset.)

I'll take suggestions for a motherboard/cpu upgrade, but I'm not too sure what my budget would be on that. If anyone has any ideas on a good 2TB external HDD I'd appreciate it.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125383

This card is good, my friend has it and says everything he throws at it is running smoothly...though he does have a better processor than you. Also easy to overclock and should last you a while because of the cooling.
My Theme Song

Shawshank

Shawshank

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5545 posts
  • Joined 02-June 09

What do you think is bottlenecking this on games? I can only pull about 22FPS max off APB and relatively the same off BFBC2.

I'd look into what your PSU unit is rated at :).

308y13p.png

DesmondTheMoonbear

DesmondTheMoonbear

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 16-July 11
While on vacation I read an e-mail about the new AMD procs that just came out. Since I needed a new updated cheap rig I wanted your guys' tips on this budget rig compared to my current pc.

Processor: AMD A8-3850 quad-core @ 2.9 Ghz* + HD 6550 Discrete 1Gb from RAM ---Previously--- Intel E8400 Dual core @ 3.1 Ghz
Mobo: MSI A75Ma-G55* ---Previously--- Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb DDR3@1600 Mhz** ---Previously--- Kingston HyperX 2x2Gb DDR2@800 Mhz
GFX: MSI EAH6670 1Gb GDDR5*** ---Previously--- EAH4670 512Mb GDDR2 or 3

The rest is not important though I'll probably get an SSD for the OS + some games and a Sata2 HDD for the rest. The total with a case, extra coolers and HDD (no SSD for the moment and other components are salvageable from previous pc) it comes out at ~450 Euros. This rig is primarily for gaming and meant to be an capable rig able to handle APB: Reloaded while still having medium graphics.

* the processor will be overclocked to 3.4Ghz which means the entire motherboard is also overclocked. not too sure about that.
** Ram will be overclocked to the maximum the motherboard can handle which is 1866 Mhz. This also speeds up the gfxs on the processor as well as the overall processor speed (apparently ^^)
*** With the added 6670 the OS will recognize the HD 6550D with the HD 6670 as a 6690 Discrete 2. Crossfire enabled but if the game can't use it, it'll default to the fastest one which will be the 6670.

Edited by DesmondTheMoonbear, 13 August 2011 - 05:32 PM.

Danielito27

Danielito27

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11

No water cooling. I don't want to bother with it. And I know people will keep suggesting it as it's quieter, but no, no water cooling. I don't want to put time or effort into this, I just want it done.

Fan wise, it's coming from the top - I do have a fan that it just a little south of the power supple so it could be that one. I've disabled the fans before and the noise was still there, so I'm pretty sure it's not the other fans.

I just want a quiet life :)

Probably the CPU fan especially if it is stock and/or smaller than 92mm. I'd suggest making sure all fans are 120mm and no higher than 1800rpms. 1400-2000rpm range on a120mm fan is ideal. Most newer PSU's have 120mm fans and arctic cooling CPU headsink/fan combos are a great way to go.

Danielito27

Danielito27

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11

The HIS or ASUS Radeon HD 6870 or any 6870 is a great card for 200 bucks.

Danielito27

Danielito27

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11

So here are my specs:

Current Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Asus M4N78 Pro Motherboard
AMD Phenom x4 9500 OC'ed to 2.42GHz
6gb DDR2 @ 667MHz
nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Stock Acer peripherals
Steelseries 4H headset
22" Acer X203W Monitor @ 1680x1050 and 17" xPlio monitor @ 1440 x 900 Dual Display
1.5TB WD Caviar HDD & 320gb Corsair HDD
Coolermaster HAF 922 - 3x 200mm (Side, Top, Front) , 1x 120mm (Rear), 1x 140mm (Bottom)

What do you think is bottlenecking this on games? I can only pull about 22FPS max off APB and relatively the same off BFBC2. What should I upgrade next? I was thinking processor/ram/mobo would have to be my next upgrade but if I can get away with just upping the gpu that'd be great. Please keep in mind I'm Canadian so if you suggest parts, shipping to canada is a must. (also canadacomputers.com is close)

You need to be at 3GHz or atleast a phenom II and your MOBO can handle a phenom II along with 1066 ddr2 ram(The 667MHz memory is probably your biggest bottle neck and easiest to upgrade). You would be better off going with MOBO/CPU/DDR3 RAM and making sure you have atleast a 600w PSU.

Edited by Danielito27, 15 August 2011 - 07:52 PM.

H4x14N

H4x14N

Initiate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 23-June 11

You need to be at 3GHz or at least a phenom II and your MOBO can handle a phenom II along with 1066 ddr2 ram(The 667MHz memory is probably your biggest bottle neck and easiest to upgrade). You would be better off going with MOBO/CPU/DDR3 RAM and making sure you have at least a 600w PSU.

I agree with the 3ghz or phenom II (quad core)...AM2 socket is what I'm using and make sure if you upgrade your proc/mobo to check to make sure their compatible...returning cpu's is a pain if you order online. I'm running Dual GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards...and when there's explosions, I've dropped down to maybe 65 fps. They cost 180 a piece roughly, but there are cheaper cards out now. Same specs without the fancy plastic cases and they will run faster together than a single one of mine...

I would suggest going with a 1k or 1.2k watt PSU...if you do want to run dual video cards, it's a necessity, and you can get them for about $100 USD. Long term, I would say it's worth it. there's cheap DDR3 ram out there...I found 2 sets of 2x4gigs 1066~OC 1333 ($50 USD each set, but this was during a sell on www.newegg.com). Don't rush into the build, or you might order the wrong part, or find out you could have saved a few bucks, and gotten something better...or spent a few bucks more and got something better...But if your going to be thinking about running dual cards, 900w is minimum IMHO. 1200w is preferred (also IMHO). It will let you know on the box whether or not it's rated for dual cards...if it's not, then don't buy it... :)

Phenny

Phenny

Initiate

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 27-August 10
well my pc kinda suxx.. 1.7GHz processor, 512 RAM and video card is kinda ... 128 .. integrated X_x
but it works fine almost .. but eh .. OS : windows XP SP 2 :flower: budget to upgrade : 0 cash so ...
does the job ... :) it has to
Determination that is Incorruptible

Onion

Onion

Cromniomancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08
Ended up going with: Asus M4a89gtd pro motherboard
AMD Phenom II 1090T 6-Core 3.2GHz (Going to OC)
8gb ddr3 corsair vengeance 1600 (runs at 1333MHz)

I seem to be running most things fine now! Next upgrade will probably be GPU.
My Theme Song

kotendo

kotendo

Initiate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 11
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rig:
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 1 TB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series x2 ~Crossfire~
Monitor:
Sound Card: Haut-parleurs (Périphérique High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech G51 /
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G5
Mouse Surface: Who cares
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q-E
Computer Case: Antec 900 (14 fans)

This rig run older games like devil may cry 4 at over (650fps). when unlocked (usualy lock at 60fps)
Crysis 60FPS HQ
Crysis 2 60FPS HQ
Mount and blade Warband and with fire and blade capped fps. max quality, AA ,vsync and all.

well this rig run EVERYTHING. except apb *reloaded*

i know pc getting old but. its still plenty. i mean i dont need a 6000$ pc to run a single game.

on a side note. APB RTW same pc . 2year ago or so. MAX setting , never lagged or fps drops. never got refounded 2. 80$ in trash.

So WHAT NOW GAMERFIRST.

Also tryed fresh win 7 64bit install. only drivers updated , and apbR download. empty pc. 880gb left out of 1 tb. windows take 100gb.

i get lags.........................cmon. seriously. stop adding random crap like whisper smg, sniper pistol and what not and start fixing the game. because so far all i saw g1 do is add market stuff. (in a beta no less) dont u usualy add theses AFTER a beta.

WigWamm

WigWamm

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4584 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

I would suggest going with a 1k or 1.2k watt PSU.

You don't need that much power unless you're running dual 6990s with a heavily overclocked cpu. 750w is fine for mid end dual cards, trust me. Please stop with the bad advice.

Nasdur

Nasdur

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 24-July 11
Posted Image

Mobo: Gigabyte X58 UD3R
GFX: Geforce GTX 460 768MB
CPU: Core I7 950 @ 3,06Ghz
6GB Ram
PSU: Corsair 750TX

affordable high end imo xD (GFX if bought nowadays make it a GTX560)
DIE, cheaters DIE!!!! and stop reproducing urselves, since ur genes are missing some bits

DamagedRoses

DamagedRoses

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 07-September 11
Hey guys ive got a question if i may, my laptop is really good apart from the fact i have a crappy processor intel dual p7350 2.0ghz & am aware i can upgrade it etc but apparently thats not worth it.

I have seen this spec from a shop and am really interested in buying the desktop. Please let me know description below, here goes;

The perfect PC option for anyone looking to combine a high speed, multi core processor with a top brand graphics card, all without breaking the bank....this PC ticks all those boxes AND MORE!. It holds the latest Phenom Quad Core processor from AMD meaning this PC can easily handle multiple tasks at its maximum speed of 3.4Ghz!!! Whether that's playing games, producing spreadsheets, browsing the web, streaming media, or even all of these COMBINED, the spec of this PC means it will handle them all instantly. For all you hardcore gamers and media users, the state of the art, dedicated ATI Radeon HD5450 graphics card means you can edit media and play all latest games such as World of Warcraft, C.O.D. etc in stunning definition across multiple screens.
If that wasn't enough we've included a huge 1TB Sata II hard drive for all your files and 8GB of quality branded DDR3 RAM at 1333Mhz. This PC really has EVERYTHING needed both now and way into the future, and at this price you wont find anything better!!!
•Super Fast 3.4Ghz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core Processor
•1TB Hard Drive Storage Space
•8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Branded RAM
•ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB Graphics Card
•High Quality Gigabyte Motherboard

•DVD RW +/-
•Stylish Mars Gaming Case with LED Display Screen
•FREE 1 Year Warranty!!!

any good or just get a decent system from pc world & upgrade myself?? Please help asap

Thanks for any help :-)
TEAM HONDA VTI

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08

•Stylish Mars Gaming Case with LED Display Screen

If there's one thing I regret about my computer case choice from my last build, it's buying one that had LEDs in the fans.

Beyond that, it's a better computer than I have, but don't fall for the "way into the future" part, technology is advancing really fast, and games are staying on the leading edge, if not beyond. For example, there are rumors that a computer capable of running BF3 on full maximum settings has never been built.

Shawshank

Shawshank

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5545 posts
  • Joined 02-June 09

•Super Fast 3.4Ghz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core Processor
•8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Branded RAM
•ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB Graphics Card

None of these components are amazing. Yeah they're good, but they aren't going to blow everything else out the water.

308y13p.png

5cotkill

5cotkill

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2598 posts
  • Joined 08-June 10
I don't know a huge amount about hardware, so can someone answer this for me? (I think I already know the answer, but I want someone who actually knows about hardware to make me sure lol)

My fan started making an insane amount of noise about a month ago, so I phones someone to come and take a look at it. They checked it over, and apparently it was all fine, it shouldn't cause any problems I was told. Then the computer stopped working, so I sent it to someone else, they "fixed" it, charged me £30, then gave me it back. It worked for 2 weeks (fan still noisy as hell) then started being rubbish again. I managed to get it on after about an hour of waiting for about a week, then last week it just packed in completely. I noticed when it packed in, the computer was going on, but there was no sound from the fan.

This is my question: If a fan breaks, the whole computer will stop working?

Another thing, what kind of fan should I buy? Budget isn't a huge problem as I can't imagine the fan is very dear, though I may be wrong lol

Some music made by me. Written by me, performed by me, produced by me, beat makers credited on the pages.

Bandcamp Page | Soundcloud Page

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08
It's possible that a broken fan can lead hardware to overheat. It really depends on where the fan is and it's purpose, along with overclocking status and location of the tower.

5cotkill

5cotkill

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2598 posts
  • Joined 08-June 10

It's possible that a broken fan can lead hardware to overheat. It really depends on where the fan is and it's purpose, along with overclocking status and location of the tower.

What? Fans can be in different places and have different purposes? :/ I have no idea. :)

I know I haven't overclocked anything and the computer was in the living room, in front of the window.

Some music made by me. Written by me, performed by me, produced by me, beat makers credited on the pages.

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08
There's case fans, Processor fans, Video Card fans, etc, etc.

If the fan on your processor or video card is bad, the processors themselves could overheat and crash the computer.

If it's just a fan on the case, you might reduce airflow across the components (the best cases have fans that pull air in on one side and a different set that pushes it out on the other), but it's probably not going to be anything that will cause problems for the computer.

5cotkill

5cotkill

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2598 posts
  • Joined 08-June 10

There's case fans, Processor fans, Video Card fans, etc, etc.

If the fan on your processor or video card is bad, the processors themselves could overheat and crash the computer.

If it's just a fan on the case, you might reduce airflow across the components (the best cases have fans that pull air in on one side and a different set that pushes it out on the other), but it's probably not going to be anything that will cause problems for the computer.

Ah, I see. It was a case fan.

Hmmm... so if it's fked other hardware, I'll probably need to buy a new computer? The way you're speaking, I'm assuming just buying a new fan won't do anything? lol

GrnBeret2B

GrnBeret2B

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08
As a case fan, I doubt it broke anything. Buying a new fan would replace it and add the airflow that has been lost by it not working. Unless your computer is crashing and/or slowing down more than normal, I'd assume there isn't anything wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users